PDA

View Full Version : Is Autoreisen the same company as Orcar in Tenerife?

PUDCLARKE
29-02-2012, 11:04
Hi,
I have booked a car with Orcar for a fortnight for our holiday in July/August – their price was very good (230 euros for a Focus size car) and at least 100 euros below all the big boys. I have previously used Orcar and found them to be excellent (got a brand new Picasso last time). I have received the booking confirmation email and it says I need to collect the car from Autoreisen at the Airport. Are Orcar/Autoreisen the same company or do Orcar sub contract to Autoreisen ?
I am slightly concerned that having read a few forum posts, the cars from Autoreisen can be a bit old and battered.
I did check numerous websites in order to find a decent price (and all inclusive costs etc with no hidden charges) before booking and was happy with Orcar but now have a bit of doubt in my mind because it seems the car is being supplied by Autoreisen. We plan to do a fair bit of exploring and last thing I want is an unreliable old banger !. I did find another hire company on the web last night which is even cheaper than Orcar - http://www.pluscar-tenerife.com/en/ (217 euros for a Polo for 2 weeks). Pluscar adverise as having ‘new cars’ so I am very tempted to cancel the Orcar/Autoreisen booking and go with pluscar – am I worrying too much about the Autoreisen factor ?
Has anyone had any experience with pluscar ?
Grateful for any advice
Many thanks

Ecky Thump
29-02-2012, 11:22
All I can say is that I and other friends have hired cars from Autoreisen and have never had room for complaint, it seems to be the luck of the draw whether you get a immaculate car or one with a few war wounds on its body, but never one that could be described as being tatty or a old banger.
Remember that it is Tenerife and that even cars of only a few weeks old can suffer from the odd ding or scratch.:drive:

PUDCLARKE
29-02-2012, 11:31
Remember that it is Tenerife and that even cars of only a few weeks old can suffer from the odd ding or scratch.:drive:

good point - i remember last year's holiday and the walk into town each evening - my children used to play a game "first one to find a car without a dent" - rarer than Arsene Wengers wallet !!

BobMac
29-02-2012, 16:08
Have been using Autoreisen for years and never had a problem; they are straight upfront on everything, the price you see is what you pay.

When you collect the car, check the fuel and return it with the same amount, none of the claptrap about bringing it back full or the bigger rip of of having to pay for a full tank and then return it as near to empty as you dare.

Don't know much about the relationship with Orcar but it isn't a new, they have been sharing cars for several years now.

PUDCLARKE
29-02-2012, 16:12
ok thanks. Will probably stick with Autoreisen - will they let me see the car before i pay for it ?

greenbank
29-02-2012, 16:33
i have used autoreisen and they are fine. a few dints and scratches but gets you from A to B.

dokgolf
29-02-2012, 16:44
You will get a diagram with whatever marks are on the car showing. If you are worried there are others, go back into the desk and explain. A member of staff will come out with you and check. Tbh, the cars are generally "used" but are certainly no worse than my own. Hope this helps

moonlighter
29-02-2012, 16:55
You will get a diagram with whatever marks are on the car showing. If you are worried there are others, go back into the desk and explain. A member of staff will come out with you and check. Tbh, the cars are generally "used" but are certainly no worse than my own. Hope this helps

I don't think they have ever marked any of the dents/scratches on the diagram I have been given, I remember once I went back & asked them to mark that the car had no wheel trims left on it but I was told not to worry so I didn't.

They rarely check the car when you return it & only ask if it has the same amount of fuel as when you collected it.

Never had a problem with Autoreisen, we wouldn't go anywhere else.

lesbroz
29-02-2012, 17:31
Autoreisen are excellent. When a Spanish driver ran into the side of our hire car, we rang Autoreisen. They asked if we wanted to drive back to the airport and collect another one or did we want to wait where we were were and they would deliver another too us. Within 30 minutes a pick up truck drop a car off for us and took the other one away. No quibles, no excesses. Orcar and Autoreisen are really one and the same.

Re: Plus Car, there cars are in excellent condition, but have had no personal experience.

lcbandit
29-02-2012, 18:52
hi can you tell me if autoreisen demand that you use a credit card in case of any claim? or are all there costs included in the price including the excess payment?

thanks

ps also do they do drop off at apartments or do you have to go to an office to pick car up? reason I ask is that my son is wanting a car but only for the end part of his holiday

tfs1
29-02-2012, 19:01
Happy to add my compliments to AutoReisen. We dont normally book a car in Tenerife but in January needed one to do the Ikeas / Leroys etc 'up north' to have a look at furniture and stuff.

We booked with AutoReisen and in comparison with carhire in the mainland they were super fast at checkin to pick the car up. No problems with the car, normal minor 'supermarket trolley' type dents, 3/4 tank of fuel when picked up and we returned it with a little more than that but at 99c a litre not an issue.

No extra 'manadatory' optional insurances pushed, no issues with paying for full tank(+ 15€ for someone to fill it) and returning it empty as you do on the mainland for hires over 3 days.

Pleasant company to do business with - would recommend given our experience.

Chris

ps arrived in tenerife yesterday and used Resorthoppa from the airport and happy to compliment them - great service at a good price, but thats for another thread

lcbandit
29-02-2012, 19:14
its ok I've answered my own question, youve gotta be 25 to hire off them to start with so thats no good to my son as hes only 23 and doesnt possess a credit card, oh well back to the searching

Megaloo
29-02-2012, 22:22
its ok I've answered my own question, youve gotta be 25 to hire off them to start with so thats no good to my son as hes only 23 and doesnt possess a credit card, oh well back to the searching

I think you may have a long search to hire a car for a 23yr old here, I know my Grandson tried when he was that age and found nobody who would hire to him,

lcbandit
29-02-2012, 22:52
cicar do it and 5cars for 23 year olds so long as they have held a licence for 12months, which my lad has for 5 years there where also a couple of other companys that did it but you pay a bit extra for being under 25