PDA

View Full Version : Other Aren't there a lot of cyclists on the roads of Tenerife?

Jollypolly
29-02-2012, 20:21
Hi everyone, I have been out and about today in the car and I just wondered if anyone else
had noticed an increase in the number of cyclists on the roads. Is there an event being held somewhere on the island or is there another reason. Never really noticed so many before.

finca18jrl
29-02-2012, 20:29
Yes, I agree! There seem to have been more cyclists for quite a few weeks now. Living up in the hills with lots of bendy narrow roads, they are a pain when they insist on cycling side by side. No idea why so many this year though.

slodgedad
29-02-2012, 21:27
We get them every winter. Most are professional cyclists who come here to train over the winter from northern Europe.

Ain't much fun training for the Tour de France in a 12 foot snow drift...:sorry:

DeeD
29-02-2012, 21:48
Sorry. and my apologies to all forum members who are keen cyclists, but personally we find them a real pain in the a***e! They cycle along 4 and 5 abreast and suddenly pull out to overtake someone without checking to see what is behind them! Cycle lanes would be wonderful here. Have to say the most annoying ones are those who cycle at 60kph in pedestrian areas!

slodgedad
29-02-2012, 21:51
Sorry. and my apologies to all forum members who are keen cyclists, but personally we find them a real pain in the a***e! They cycle along 4 and 5 abreast and suddenly pull out to overtake someone without checking to see what is behind them! Cycle lanes would be wonderful here. Have to say the most annoying ones are those who cycle at 60kph in pedestrian areas!

Trouble is if they were restricted to cycle lanes it would be no good for training. They are a pain in the 6 I know but they and their entourages bring valuable custom to Tenerife during the winter

henry
29-02-2012, 22:02
well i know one way you can make them move. throw rocks at them lol... all joking aside yes!! i seen quite some on the road lately.

caroletenerife
29-02-2012, 23:54
None on the road in San Eugenio....they are all on the bl**** pavement!!!!rolleyes2:

Shazedens
01-03-2012, 00:29
A lot of them also seem to be wearing team colours so I wonder if any of them is in training for the Olympics?

slodgedad
01-03-2012, 00:36
A lot of them also seem to be wearing team colours so I wonder if any of them is in training for the Olympics?

Perhaps you have hit el nailio on the headio,,,,,,,

My point from my original answer. Where else , in Europe or near, can you train as a northern European

louisecox
01-03-2012, 14:49
Have to agree with the majority of you and say what a complete pain they are, I got stuck behind a group the other day and they were cycling 3 together took up the whole road, then nearly caused an accident by going on the wrong side of the road oblivious to oncoming traffic to over take a bus.

Jollypolly
02-03-2012, 09:16
I started this thread and having read the replies I just wonder if the "powers that be" are
missing an opportunity. If the island is popular with all these cyclists in the winter months why not take advantage of it and organise a road race for them, it would bring more folk to the island and the spin off would be worthwhile, employment, accommodation, restaurants, transport, in fact most businesses would get something out of it and of course the island would get the advertising. Is it feasible?

bonitatime
02-03-2012, 09:47
There is talk that 4 stages of the Vuelta will be held in the Canary Isles in 2013 which may be why there is an increase in training here

kikebolli
03-03-2012, 09:05
Stop hating cyclist!! We are not a pain as you are arguing

We are the same than cars... rided by people, but we dont have a motor.

Really cant understand those people that think they are stronger than a cyclist.

Sometimes cars are more dangerous than cyclist, by not keeping the security distance 1,5m.

Tenerife is such an awesome place for us, Teide is the highest mountain of Spain, and you can go from 0m to 2400m in a short ride. Such an incredible paradise for Cycling, thats why.

You might love cyclist a bit more!

Susief
03-03-2012, 09:32
I keep my bike in Tenerife and try get it out every time we are over.
I've got to say that I enjoy cycling in Tenerife as the drivers are a lot more courteous and give you plenty of room.
I am also a car driver and cyclists don't bother me until they ride 3 abreast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunseeker
03-03-2012, 09:58
may be there training for the olympics to at the moment.

biciboy
03-03-2013, 13:20
How often do you come across cyclists riding 3 abreast? (honestly! ) Why are so many Brit car drivers hating cyclists? Why are they so stressed about being held up by a few seconds? Why did Britain win 1st and 2nd places in the Tour de France (2012) ?, Why are they so dominant in World Track cycling? One day there will be no petrol!! pedal cars!!

Vortex Wake
03-03-2013, 13:41
I don't see any car drivers being held up in this video - just some wild overtaking on bends by the cyclist

ps I'm a cyclist .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xc3hH_sB00&feature=youtube_gdata_player

christa
03-03-2013, 14:03
Loads and loads of cyclists here in GC too. More so than ever at this time of the year, maybe they are training for Ironman2013 Lanzarote in May.

golf birdie
03-03-2013, 14:06
Loads and loads of cyclists here in GC too. More so than ever at this time of the year, maybe they are training for Ironman2013 Lanzarote in May.

maybe they can't afford petrol :lol:

primrose
03-03-2013, 14:07
I don't see any car drivers being held up in this video - just some wild overtaking on bends by the cyclist

ps I'm a cyclist .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xc3hH_sB00&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What an idiot.:duh:

TF1
03-03-2013, 14:29
I'm a cyclist myself (when I have time), but I have to say that many cyclists here totally ignore the law. In Spain it is an offence to ride 2 or 3 abreast on public roads. If cyclists expect motorists to behave cordially towards them on the roads, they should be more reasonable themselves.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

How often do you come across cyclists riding 3 abreast? (honestly! ) Why are so many Brit car drivers hating cyclists? Why are they so stressed about being held up by a few seconds? Why did Britain win 1st and 2nd places in the Tour de France (2012) ?, Why are they so dominant in World Track cycling? One day there will be no petrol!! pedal cars!!

When the petrol dries up I believe electric vehicles will be more of the norm than Fred Flintstone pedal cars. And yes, whilst driving I am often held up in Spain by cyclists 2 or 3 abreast. I love cycling, but also follow the rules so have never experienced any friction with motorists.

Vortex Wake
03-03-2013, 15:51
I'm a cyclist myself (when I have time), but I have to say that many cyclists here totally ignore the law. In Spain it is an offence to ride 2 or 3 abreast on public roads. If cyclists expect motorists to behave cordially towards them on the roads, they should be more reasonable themselves.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

When the petrol dries up I believe electric vehicles will be more of the norm than Fred Flintstone pedal cars. And yes, whilst driving I am often held up in Spain by cyclists 2 or 3 abreast. I love cycling, but also follow the rules so have never experienced any friction with motorists.

Bad car drivers aside, fellow cyclists the the thing I fear most. Many have no road scene or basic logic on how to ride safely.

However, its not all bad ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQasXKSr5xs

Margaretta
03-03-2013, 19:01
Anyone who wants to put themselves through the extreme punishment of ascending the mountain by bike and says they enjoy it gets my vote!
Didn't Bradley Wiggins train on Tenerife too? We should be very proud.
Cyclists, just please...... don't wobble!:bootyshake: