PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Am I mad to move out to Tenerife?

Gazajlill
29-02-2012, 21:56
Hi just wanted to get people's view's on weather i am as mad as some people are telling me just because i am moving back to Tenerife next month to start a new life.I am in the process of sorting accomodation and looking on here for info on how to get a residencia/bank account etc,so am actually really confident and excited,the one important thing i cant sort is a job but hope i will find something once i am on the island as ive allways found work here in England even through the hard times.I am giving a good life and job up here but surely that isnt enough to stop me,i am a single man of 37 so plenty of life left in me to start something fresh(i think?).Anyway i believe if you want something hard enough and are willing to start form the bottom and work up anything is possible,or is that just me?? Im sure its really tough out there too but i dont want to look back and say what if??Hope im not wasting anyone's time on here but thought id see if i might get some more possitive replies ,
Thanks all

fesdie
29-02-2012, 22:10
Hello!
I'm moving out in July with my husband and son. We are giving up a successful business and a lovely home and lifestyle so you can say that some people think we are mad!
We are moving for health reasons and our feeling is if we don't do it now we will regret it in 5 years time.
It is hard everywhere at the moment in terms of the economic climate but I really do feel if you want something to work and give it your all you will suceed.
You will always get negative vibes from some people but only you know yourself if you have got it in you to make it work.
I have found the forum to be extremely useful, honest and helpful replies.
Good luck with your move :goodluck:

slodgedad
29-02-2012, 22:24
The job market here is, as you have rightly heard, dire.

My outlook, after being here for a number of years, is to look on the bright side. (I have to)

If 1 in 3 is unemployed then I strive to be in the other 2.

If you are without employment in the UK then, if you can afford it it's worth a shot, but I wouldn't give up a decent job in the UK to take a gamble.

All down to personal circumstances.

Sundowner
29-02-2012, 23:35
There will always be people who try and some will succeed until you try you will not know! It will not be easy but it is still possible for the more determined.............best of luck with your attempt! If you don't try you will never know!!!

Greg
29-02-2012, 23:56
Listen to Slodgedad, if you have a good job in the uk keep it and enjoy your holidays here. The average wage here will not allow you to eat in the places or do the things you enjoy as a tourist. The average wage here is less than 1000€ a month and I know lots of people who earn a lot less. Unless you are a skilled tradesman who speaks Spanish you will be very hard pushed to get a job here. The view you get as a tourist is very far removed from the reality of living here. I'm sorry to sound so negative but I've been here a very long time and in the boom years everyone made money and was happy. Not so any more. Good luck with whatever you decide but imho keep your job!

Shazedens
01-03-2012, 00:36
We moved over in oct 2011. Both my husband and I gave up very good jobs, our house etc to come over. Our son was unemployed. Both my husband and son are in full time work, not earning what he did in uk but enough for us to have a good standard of living. I work from home.
It is hard, you will have times especially early on that you will wonder what the hell you have done, but I think if you are one of the lucky ones to land a job, then the lifestyle makes up for the possessions.
It is true what has been said, the opinion of tourists is a far cry from reality when living here, unless you come here to retire with an extremely healthy bank balance.
Whatever your decision I wish you well for the future.

murph
01-03-2012, 00:44
Both my husband and son are in full time work, not earning what he did in uk but enough for us to have a good standard of living. I work from home..

That's very interesting and fantastic that your husband and son found work. Could I ask what kind of thing they are doing?

YOUNG GOLFER
01-03-2012, 00:45
Life is short..................... my advice to you after reading your post is go for it.....you have said yourself even in hard times you seem to find your feet.
I know like everyone else on here times are hard but i have to be honest my business has never been better.
From my own point of view today i seen another fellow estate agents hours on their door were from 10am to 2pm yes only 4 hours.
Me i open from 10am til 8.30 tonight and most nights til 8pm what i am trying to say is you only get out of life what you are willing to put in to it.
Work hard and better than others in your line of work and you should see results.
Good luck with your move.

tracy hampshire
01-03-2012, 00:53
it's not easy but if you don't try!!!! thats why i came here 3 years ago, didn't want any regrets, still early days, have worked, no work at the moment, but still no regrets, maybe i'll stay here maybe move i'll move on, but whatever i'll never regret my time here, life is for living, the very best of luck too you x

Monkinsane
01-03-2012, 01:19
My husband works at Iceland and my son is working for diamond resorts

seanocelt
01-03-2012, 02:42
Bring enough to live on for as long as poss, then ultimately you will find work of some decsription. I look at it as a trade off, material wealth, close family and security, for weather, lifestyle and freedom. If the former 3 outweigh the latter, have a good long think, best wishes.

bonitatime
01-03-2012, 16:24
I think if you want it to happen it probably will but you have to be prepared to try your hand at anything and work long hours
Try to learn Spanish as it is a great help

caroll72
01-03-2012, 20:17
Not wanting to sound negative, just realistic, but now is not the time to be upping sticks & moving anywhere, especially if you have a good job & lifestyle.
In the 4 years that we lived in tenerife, we were lucky as we both had jobs & could afford a reasonable lifestyle. But iv'e lost count of people we knew that were out of work & eventually went back to uk.
What i would say, if you decide on the move is:

Bring out enough cash to last you for at least 6 months.

Keep a bank account open in uk.

Keep a property in uk (if thats a option).

Learn Spanish, it is so important as you will have far more options with jobs, and you will definatley need it if you should need medical care.

Whatever you decide, good luck. :goodluck:

Gazajlill
01-03-2012, 20:55
Thanks 2 all the response good or bad,but i have to agree with YG as that's what i have to do here everyday in the freezing cold and rain i have my own Tiling business and still get the work but have to travel further everyday and for less money,but im not a slscker and actually enjoy working im not one for sitting around moaning that seems to easy to me,im sure it is dire as some say and it is a small island but you never know someone somewhere has to suceed,2 true seanocelt and thanks tracey.ps.im taking spanish lessons but hope to learn more when out there??
Heres to a long summer of hard work and long hours!!
Thanks again to everyone,hope to maybe chat more on here soon.
All the best for the future too.

warbey
01-03-2012, 21:37
My answer to Your question was..Probably.....
After reading Your Post and Your Profession, i think You have a reasonable chance of success.
Some good advice here too.
All the best..

TIS
16-12-2012, 14:59
Answer to your original question.... Yes. Should have done it years ago,before things became tough, but then again its tough every where now. So as you say, you're a grafter, so those of us that work hard will survive no matter what.
If you need and help or advice, PM us.

Christine12
16-12-2012, 16:51
"Go For It" Its best to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all. I moved out to Tenerife
and never regretted it......worked hard and made a living. Would never move back to Blighty.

9PLUS
16-12-2012, 17:06
"Go For It" Its best to have tried and lost everything you've ever had in life than to never of ****ed it all up at all. Many people move out to Tenerife
and never regret it, even more do......work hard and made a living!. Some who stay would never move back to Blighty because they're embarrassed to.

vonnie
16-12-2012, 17:50
Hi - we were told by a lot of people on the forum we were mad to move out here with no jobs and some people were postive too. What the realism of what people said to us 18 months ago made us think about how to keep an income in the UK and live out here.

So we finally moved last week after keeping 2 part-time businesses going in the UK which we'll need to fly back for every six weeks and so far after chatting to people out here life is looking hopeful for work here. We're both self-employed so are used to networking but funnily enough out here more people are helpful than home as soon as you say you're living here!

When you come out just start chatting to people when you go out - so far I've had 5 nail appointments booked in and contrary to what we were told there's no work for my partner - the interest is there from people SO I would say as long as you put the effort in, the reward will work for you.

We were determined it was going to work and it will now we took the time to really think about it but yes our incomes have dropped but sustainable and nothing beats good weather to make you feel good about yourself! We feel we've made the right choice so good luck to you when you come out x

9PLUS
16-12-2012, 20:19
Don't take some peoples experiences as a negative comment but more as a warning/guidance because it wasn't the "get up and go" response you'd expected.

I guess everyone that comes over here wants to give it ago, but it just doesn't work out for everyone.

I could name 2 outstanding & hardworking tradesmen on this forum which have no choice other than to leave the island.

Even in boom times many people couldn't make it here.

But some people still do very well others very badly so take all advice as it's meant to be.

Wolfeman
17-12-2012, 05:07
Great I cam here in 2001 when they were GVC and was with them all over Europe until 08 when they had become Diamond its a great career if he makes it and puts the hours in. Iceland terrific you have done so well I am out again third time in 18 days got a job to go to and it is what you put in that matters. We should meet up for a Coffee n chat most of my mates have returned to uk they think I am mad as well. from Mrs Wolfeman.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Great I cam here in 2001 when they were GVC and was with them all over Europe until 08 when they had become Diamond its a great career if he makes it and puts the hours in. Iceland terrific you have done so well I am out again third time in 18 days got a job to go to and it is what you put in that matters. We should meet up for a Coffee n chat most of my mates have returned to uk they think I am mad as well. from Mrs Wolfeman.