PDA

View Full Version : Health What is needed to register with a doctor in Tenerife?

woowoo
02-03-2012, 15:39
What exactly do you need to take to a doctors to register with them?

mike in chayofa
02-03-2012, 20:06
OMG!!! Now you are asking something :confused:

I have been trying for the ņast ten years and still not managed it ... so good luck.

I can't find my paperwork - probably filed in the bin and given up as a bad job ... but ...

1. Tarjeta sanitaria and social security card,

2. Application form from the social security office. I live in the municipality of Arona and had to then take this to Granadilla to be verified and stamped - then taken back to the social security office.

3. Certificate of Empadronamiento.

Then take this to your local social doctor/practice.

If you are married and need your partner included you will also need to include these details on the application form (and possibly a marriage certificate).

If you are living with someone but not married you will need a Certificate of Convivencia.

If you need children included you will need a Libro de familia and probably birth certificates.

Someone will be along shortly, I would imagine, to verify or correct this information because I have given up. The docor tells me that there is a descrepancy between some of the information held on computer and the forms that I filled in, but try as I might, nobody has been able to tell me what this descrepancy is ??????

As with any official application, I always take page 126 out of the Ikea catalogue with me because they are sure to ask you for something that you haven't got just for the fun of it :duh:

warbey
02-03-2012, 21:12
Could You not try an Alternative Doctor..?

If successful then change later on.?...

cainaries
02-03-2012, 22:23
Hi Warbey - no, you have to go to the Health Centre where you live and they allocate you a doctor (but not if you are Mike in Chayofa).

Without any doubt at all you need a Spanish Social Security Number. So, woowoo - have you got one of those?

A long time ago I remember Mike in Chayofa saying that he had gone somewhere with some paperwork for something armed with a recipe for apple crumble because you will always be missing a piece of paper and it might indeed be the recipe for apple crumble. OH and I have been going through a six year saga (happily now resolved to our amazement) with an Ayuntamiento here on La Palma and when we set off for our monthly confrontation with them we used to say 'Have we got the Apple Crumble Recipe?'

Whatever you are trying to do in Spain you will always be missing one piece of paper. And when you find that piece you will discover you are missing another one. It is quite pointless getting upset about this.

Lecture over.

Quick thought - woowoo - have you been to your local Health Centre and asked them what paperwork they need? Ask them to write you a list of all the documents they require. Then you go and get these and when you go back they will say 'you're missing a piece of paper' ... but this is just how it is.

slodgedad
03-03-2012, 02:35
Quick thought - woowoo - have you been to your local Health Centre and asked them what paperwork they need? Ask them to write you a list of all the documents they require. Then you go and get these and when you go back they will say 'you're missing a piece of paper' ... but this is just how it is.

Great piece of advice though

tina ann
03-03-2012, 11:43
Dont forget to have copies just incase!!!!!!!!!

mike in chayofa
03-03-2012, 15:06
Dont forget to have copies just incase!!!!!!!!!

Actually this is true - you will need a copy of the application form so that it can be 'entrada'd' and other documents too

woowoo
03-03-2012, 17:15
All I have is my NIE number, not yet got my social security number?

I've learnt that most places always require one more piece of paper, so annoying!!

Thanks for the advice, much needed!! First time I've ever lived on my own so I'm abit naīve on sorting all things like this myself, rely on this forum a lot!!

Thanks again!!

cainaries
03-03-2012, 22:15
woowoo - OH and I are ancient people and so we got our social security number (very slowly) because we are British OAPs. I don't know how you apply for one if this is not the way you are going about it. Hopefully someone else can come on here and help you with that info.

I was feeling a bit 'crook' (as they say in Australia) yesterday and went to our local health centre in La Palma, saw a nurse, referred instantly to a doctor, given an ECG, back to the doctor, ECG normal, prescription for something for my stomach because may be that's the problem, referred back to the nurse, appointment in 2 weeks to check I'm still alive and if I feel that crook again, please go straight to A&E. All in 30 minutes.

But it was Friday afternoon and, oddly, no-one here appears to go to the doctor on Friday afternoons - the place was deserted and it's normally packed out.

slodgedad
04-03-2012, 03:44
woowoo - OH and I are ancient people and so we got our social security number (very slowly) because we are British OAPs. I don't know how you apply for one if this is not the way you are going about it. Hopefully someone else can come on here and help you with that info.

I was feeling a bit 'crook' (as they say in Australia) yesterday and went to our local health centre in La Palma, saw a nurse, referred instantly to a doctor, given an ECG, back to the doctor, ECG normal, prescription for something for my stomach because may be that's the problem, referred back to the nurse, appointment in 2 weeks to check I'm still alive and if I feel that crook again, please go straight to A&E. All in 30 minutes.

But it was Friday afternoon and, oddly, no-one here appears to go to the doctor on Friday afternoons - the place was deserted and it's normally packed out.

You don't need a sick note for the weekend....:sorry:

TenerifePool
04-03-2012, 07:25
For a single person of working age its easy.

You need to supply paperwork demonstrating:

1. Who you are (NIE and Passport).

2. Where you live (Certificado de Empadronamiento).

3. That you are registered in the Spanish Social Security system (your Social Security Number).

4. That you are paying into the system (Contract of employment or Alta in Autonomo if you are self employed along with your last Nomina or proof of Autonomo payment.

You will be given a piece of paper which will act as a temporary "Tarjeta Sanitaria" until your plastic card arrives (don't hold your breath while waiting for the plastic card).

If you are married or living with a non working partner, if you're a pensioner or if you have children it is a little more complicated, but not hard...

cainaries
04-03-2012, 20:43
You don't need a sick note for the weekend....:sorry:

OF COURSE! Shows how long ago it is since I was gainfully employed.;) I'm going to try to get Friday afternoon appointments from here on out.

warbey
04-03-2012, 20:53
Hi Warbey - no, you have to go to the Health Centre where you live and they allocate you a doctor (but not if you are Mike in Chayofa).
e?

L.

So, just the same as where I live....

cainaries
04-03-2012, 21:32
So, just the same as where I live....
Wouldn't they register him there either?

More seriously, woowoo - when you have succeeded in your mission, it would be very helpful to others if you could post how you achieved it. Good luck.

ally9997
04-03-2012, 21:58
alot of patience:laugh: