PDA

View Full Version : Other Can you get Sharp object disposal boxes in Tenerife?

sunspot
02-03-2012, 17:21
I know you can get sharp object boxes in the uk in fact i think its law but i cant seem to find anything like it here,ive tried the chemist
but they said to put them in the busera but its for the disposal of used injections so i dont think its right that the bin men should picking up these things, anyone any idea?

Suej
02-03-2012, 17:25
I know you can get sharp object boxes in the uk in fact i think its law but i cant seem to find anything like it here,ive tried the chemist
but they said to put them in the busera but its for the disposal of used injections so i dont think its right that the bin men should picking up these things, anyone any idea?

Hi Sunspot IMO a good place to ask for a Sharps box might be the Pharmacies!

sunspot
02-03-2012, 18:00
Hi Sunspot IMO a good place to ask for a Sharps box might be the Pharmacies!

Already have Sue but they said put them in the busura,not a good idea in my opinion,theres got to be some rule on this

Suej
02-03-2012, 19:07
Already have Sue but they said put them in the busura,not a good idea in my opinion,theres got to be some rule on this

Woah! Are they crazy? You could try phoning Doctor Whittaker's surgery she does blood tests so must know how to safely dispose of needles etc...

warbey
02-03-2012, 19:57
Interesting question Sunspot.

Its for the same reason I take My used needles back Home with Me..
What about the rest who inject..?

Suej
02-03-2012, 19:59
Interesting question Sunspot.

Its for the same reason I take My used needles back Home with Me..
What about the rest who inject..?

Good question! Do you bring a small sharps box with you then Warbs?:wave:

warbey
02-03-2012, 20:03
Good question! Do you bring a small sharps box with you then Warbs?:wave:

I only use a few and replace the Cap over the end.
All in My Medication Kit, so no probs to date..

I have a large Box at Home. It lasts about 10 Years..

Sunspot, I do hope Someone knows a solution, there must be plenty of Needles
a lot longer than My little 8 mm ones..

Tom & Sharon
02-03-2012, 20:30
Woah! Are they crazy? You could try phoning Doctor Whittaker's surgery she does blood tests so must know how to safely dispose of needles etc...

When we were last at Dr Whittaker's surgery with my clumsy OH she did complain about not finding it easy to get items such as sharps boxes etc and she said she got quite a lot of items from Williams suppliers in the UK.
I did however notice she had a large sharps box in the room with Spanish writing on it,so she must now be able to get them.
A call to her receptionist may be fruitful.

Tom :)

sunspot
02-03-2012, 20:37
I really cant put these needles in the bin and i will stock pile them until i find the right way to dispose of them,might have to get
someone to bring a sharps box over if i cant find a safer way.
I will try and phone Dr Whittaker Sue to see what you are supposed to do with them, i think maybe she would get hers picked up and disposed of properly though

Rickiebear
02-03-2012, 20:47
Hi, I have some spare boxes back in the UK. I am next over in 6 weeks, if you need one. But even with a sharps box, you will need someone to to empty or exchange it.

Tom & Sharon
03-03-2012, 12:43
Another story from my recent experience...................

Since breaking my leg 6 weeks ago, I have been on daily anti-coagulent injections, the first batch prescribed by Candelaria, and the following 30 days by Excellent Medical. My friend here is a retired nurse and has been giving me the injections daily.

At the end of the first batch, she attended my appointment at Excellent Medical with me, and had saved the used sharps to take with us for safe disposal. As a British registered nurse, her professionalism and training wouldn't let her simply put them in the basura. When she asked for their safe disposal at Excellent Medical, she was told they didn't dispose of people's used sharps, only the ones they'd actually used themselves. She was horrified, and when she asked where we were supposed to safely dispose of them, it was met with a shrug.

Because she didn't want to put them in the basura, when we left, we accidentally "forgot" them and left them on the reception desk. They must then have disposed of them safely.

My friend could not believe the unprofessional attitude of a medical centre towards the correct disposal of sharps.

sunspot
03-03-2012, 17:37
Another story from my recent experience...................

Since breaking my leg 6 weeks ago, I have been on daily anti-coagulent injections, the first batch prescribed by Candelaria, and the following 30 days by Excellent Medical. My friend here is a retired nurse and has been giving me the injections daily.

At the end of the first batch, she attended my appointment at Excellent Medical with me, and had saved the used sharps to take with us for safe disposal. As a British registered nurse, her professionalism and training wouldn't let her simply put them in the basura. When she asked for their safe disposal at Excellent Medical, she was told they didn't dispose of people's used sharps, only the ones they'd actually used themselves. She was horrified, and when she asked where we were supposed to safely dispose of them, it was met with a shrug.

Because she didn't want to put them in the basura, when we left, we accidentally "forgot" them and left them on the reception desk. They must then have disposed of them safely.

My friend could not believe the unprofessional attitude of a medical centre towards the correct disposal of sharps.

This is what im finding hard to believe that the professionals are saying bin them but there must be many bins with these injections in because their are many who dont give a dam

Suej
03-03-2012, 18:16
Would there be a European Law against this sort of unsafe practice?:dontknow:

Tom & Sharon
03-03-2012, 18:43
Would there be a European Law against this sort of unsafe practice?:dontknow:

There should be.

The "professionals" should have some kind of duty of care.

Marc Weinberg
03-03-2012, 19:55
Just as a side thought, I have been over carrying my glucose test kit stabbers and carried them home with me. It might be worth a try to speak to one of the hospitals or a doctors on the island to see if they could take them from you to dispose of them along with their sharps.

Suej
03-03-2012, 22:28
There should be.

The "professionals" should have some kind of duty of care.

The thought of innocently putting something in the Basura and getting stabbed by a used needle doesn't bear thinking about! :mad:

karinagal
03-03-2012, 23:35
Just as a side thought, I have been over carrying my glucose test kit stabbers and carried them home with me. It might be worth a try to speak to one of the hospitals or a doctors on the island to see if they could take them from you to dispose of them along with their sharps.

Marc, have you tried the Accu Chec Multi-clix lancet device?

See here: http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/fingerprickers/index.html?OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=9909308425&OVKEY=Accu-Chek%20multiclix&adpos=1t1&gclid=CPWbhafky64CFeMmtAodZXJ5_g

They use a preloaded drum which retract the lancet back into itself so that it doesn't present a sharps hazard and can be thrown in with household refuse safely..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Marc Weinberg
04-03-2012, 10:45
[QUOTE=karinagal;150442]Marc, have you tried the Accu Chec Multi-clix lancet device?

See here: http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/fingerprickers/index.html?OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=9909308425&OVKEY=Accu-Chek%20multiclix&adpos=1t1&gclid=CPWbhafky64CFeMmtAodZXJ5_g

They use a preloaded drum which retract the lancet back into itself so that it doesn't present a sharps hazard and can be thrown in with household refuse safely..

I use the Bayer contour. i have a sharps box at home and when i return from the rock place my lancets in there.

Zara
04-03-2012, 15:44
www.insulincase.com/bd-safe-clip-insulin-syringe-needle-clipper-p387.aspx Although this is designed for insulin it is capable of taking longer thicker needles but they may need to be cut in half to fit. A friend has advised that one of the best and a safe way to dispose of any medication cartridge is in a bleach bottle. Makes sense when you think about it, nobody will be likely to pick it up.