PDA

View Full Version : Short term rental refusing any agreement/contract

nezi55
02-03-2012, 20:15
Can anyone help on a very quick question? I have just paid a deposit for a Parque Santiago apartment. Looks brilliant exactly what we wanted however the owner claims no type of contract/agreement is needed and his emails are proof of rental. This is the first time I have rented private and it makes me a bit nervous (travelling with very young children). He sent 2 hand written reviews/questionnaires as thats all he could find to hand (7 years renting the apartment)

I really love this apartment and the last email from him was very curt and to the point telling me to cancel if I was unhappy.

So, have I over thought this and should just relax and look forward to my holiday (owner seemed very pleasant and friendly) or should I cancel and look elsewhere?

I have to add when I stayed at Parque Santiago iii (package) a poor family had arrived to find they had been scammed and they didn't have an apartment there :confused: fueling my fear now I guess.

sunchaser
02-03-2012, 21:43
Can anyone help on a very quick question? I have just paid a deposit for a Parque Santiago apartment. Looks brilliant exactly what we wanted however the owner claims no type of contract/agreement is needed and his emails are proof of rental. This is the first time I have rented private and it makes me a bit nervous (travelling with very young children). He sent 2 hand written reviews/questionnaires as thats all he could find to hand (7 years renting the apartment)

I really love this apartment and the last email from him was very curt and to the point telling me to cancel if I was unhappy.

So, have I over thought this and should just relax and look forward to my holiday (owner seemed very pleasant and friendly) or should I cancel and look elsewhere?

I have to add when I stayed at Parque Santiago iii (package) a poor family had arrived to find they had been scammed and they didn't have an apartment there :confused: fueling my fear now I guess.

It will be interesting to see what replies you get to this,i would be very interested to hear comments in light of the illegal letting argument going on at the moment,after our experience renting private i doubt we would do it again.

caroletenerife
02-03-2012, 21:55
Hi, send me a pm with the apartment number, i work next to there and the bar is full of residents, someone is bound to know the apartment or the owner, I will try to get some feedback for you, not working till sunday though

nezi55
02-03-2012, 22:08
Hi, send me a pm with the apartment number, i work next to there and the bar is full of residents, someone is bound to know the apartment or the owner, I will try to get some feedback for you, not working till sunday though

Thanks so much....I don't have the apartment number yet but I will try to find out. Thanks for helping.

It will be interesting to see what replies you get to this,i would be very interested to hear comments in light of the illegal letting argument going on at the moment,after our experience renting private i doubt we would do it again.

I was thinking this is possibly the reason they don't do any contract. I am leaning towards going as it's by far the best apartment I have seen at a good price and they have advertised on the same web site for a number of years. What was your experience?

sunchaser
02-03-2012, 23:00
Thanks so much....I don't have the apartment number yet but I will try to find out. Thanks for helping.

I was thinking this is possibly the reason they don't do any contract. I am leaning towards going as it's by far the best apartment I have seen at a good price and they have advertised on the same web site for a number of years. What was your experience?

We rented a private owned apartment through an estate agent the 1st thing to go wrong was the tap at the kitchen was loose to the drainer and was gradually getting worse,we reported this to the agent and it took them a week to fix this,the next thing that happened the electric went off and it turned out the owner had not kept his direct debits up to date so the elec company did not get their money so cut him off,and the agent could not get hold of him,he lives somewhere in the uk,luckily for us it was just me and my wife no kids in tow,anyway we were able to get another apartment on a managed complex,this was our experience if the apartment is not managed by the complex we wont be renting it.

caroletenerife
02-03-2012, 23:19
yeh, let me know or pm me the photos or website you have and I will ask around Im sure it will be fine and you will have a lovely holiday x

fixer
02-03-2012, 23:50
A lot off rentals are done just with emails including all the ones like hotels.com all this type only do so with email if you book online with me you just get emails if you book direct with me you get emails plus i post rental details ect. Yes you have to be carefull booking a apartment i personaly will answer any questions asked so ask the owner how long hes owned it does he take a credit card i do get all his contact details you said he advertised on the web site for a while thats a plus theres got to be trust both ways or no one would ever book a private apartment. Even on a managed complex if direct debits not kept up the power can be cut off the majority of the apartments on our tourist complex are privately owned but manged by the onsite management who do not pay the bills the owner does. David

nezi55
03-03-2012, 00:29
Thanks for all the comments and PM's. I do feel at ease, they did give me the opportunity to cancel and receive a refund. They have been advertising with the same website since 2006 which I hadn't realised before posting this! I guess it all looked too good to be true as it's a fantastic apartment with the exact spec we would like and that made me a bit paranoid. Also I had read on the website to ask for a rental agreement etc so was wary when they responded that they don't use them. Fingers crossed it will be all as it seem's and a place I can return to every year :pray: