PDA

View Full Version : European Health card for travel TO the UK

judetenerife
02-03-2012, 22:51
can anybody help? im a resident with a british passport, my son who is 5 was born in tenerife and also has residence and british passport. i have the white spanish health card and my son is registered as my dependant but he still has the paper health form as his card still isnt ready! The questions is: do we both need a european health card for a holiday to the uk? If yes do we have to go to granadilla in person? any info would be gratefully received . thanks xx

Megaloo
02-03-2012, 23:46
can anybody help? im a resident with a british passport, my son who is 5 was born in tenerife and also has residence and british passport. i have the white spanish health card and my son is registered as my dependant but he still has the paper health form as his card still isnt ready! The questions is: do we both need a european health card for a holiday to the uk? If yes do we have to go to granadilla in person? any info would be gratefully received . thanks xx

I do not think they issue these here anymore you apply in England now for one, they are now issued there, but I stand to be corrected.

kathml
03-03-2012, 00:48
European Health cards are issued in all countries in the EU depending on your nationality you get them in the country to which you belong

I would imagine as you carry UK passports you don't need one in the UK but I stand to be corrected on this

Megaloo
03-03-2012, 11:09
European Health cards are issued in all countries in the EU depending on your nationality you get them in the country to which you belong

I would imagine as you carry UK passports you don't need one in the UK but I stand to be corrected on this

I needed to go to hospital twice in the UK once for myself and again with a friend, on one occassion the card was looked at on the other it was not, so better to always have one I think. We both lived here in Tenerife and were visiting the UK.

BobMac
03-03-2012, 13:17

Have a look HERE (https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do)

It explains the process for applying and renewing your EHIC card

You can also apply there as well

sunseeker
03-03-2012, 14:38
i think your son would be ok as your dependent. mine were when we went over last year.

cainaries
03-03-2012, 22:21
Have a look HERE (https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do)

It explains the process for applying and renewing your EHIC card

You can also apply there as well

Sorry but I don't think this is right because the link clearly states it is for UK Residents which I take it the OP isn't from her post. If you aren't a British OAP (and well done you if you are with a son of 5!), I thought you had to apply for a Spanish EHIC. You will be treated in the UK in the same way as a Spanish visitor would be. I think you should go to your local Spanish social security office and apply from there.

Since GPs in the UK never bother to check your entitlement it probably won't matter much if you don't get one. On the other hand, better safe than sorry.

bonitatime
04-03-2012, 09:25
I think this was for retired People
My daughter who has a UK passport applied for her card here in Tenerife

kathml
04-03-2012, 12:14
As a canarian resident you will need to apply for a Spanish EHIC as far as I can understand
You cannot apply for a British card as you are not a UK resident

Nationality and residence are two seperate things

BobMac
04-03-2012, 15:46
Sorry but I don't think this is right because the link clearly states it is for UK Residents which I take it the OP isn't from her post. If you aren't a British OAP (and well done you if you are with a son of 5!), I thought you had to apply for a Spanish EHIC. You will be treated in the UK in the same way as a Spanish visitor would be. I think you should go to your local Spanish social security office and apply from there.

Since GPs in the UK never bother to check your entitlement it probably won't matter much if you don't get one. On the other hand, better safe than sorry.

The rules have been changed

See HERE (http://www.myspain.es/forum/your-health-sun/37718-how-do-i-get-ehic-card-now-im-spanish-resident.html) for guidance

cainaries
04-03-2012, 15:54
The rules have changed for OAPs, yes, granted, but I didn't think they'd changed for anyone else. If you haven't paid UK National Insurance contributions in the previous tax year (as I understand it), they aren't going to issue you with a card.

judetenerife
04-03-2012, 22:10
thanks to everybody for their input. As i pay into the spanish system and havent lived in the uk for 15 yrs and my son isnt registered for anything in the uk, to be on the safe side it appears i have to go to granadilla to apply for the spanish european card as a spanish national would also.

sunseeker
04-03-2012, 22:32
on the plus side, once you have the card you can renew it online and its sent to your registered home address

judetenerife
04-03-2012, 23:13
on the plus side, once you have the card you can renew it online and its sent to your registered home address

do you know what docs i have to take when i go to apply?

Saltnpepper
06-03-2012, 00:40
If I remember rightly, when we last went to Granadilla to try & get a card for my OH, there's a notice in the office saying these cards aren't issued any longer from that office & that you should apply online ... unfortunately I didn't manage to do it online so he never got one!

judetenerife
06-03-2012, 22:25
If I remember rightly, when we last went to Granadilla to try & get a card for my OH, there's a notice in the office saying these cards aren't issued any longer from that office & that you should apply online ... unfortunately I didn't manage to do it online so he never got one!

any idea of the website address?

scrub that - googled it and if its your 1st application then you still have to do it in person. i will ring them and double check

Saltnpepper
06-03-2012, 23:22
if you still need the website address, here you go -
https://sede.seg-social.gob.es/Sede_1/ServiciosenLinea/Ciudadanos/index.htm?ssUserText=232000