PDA

View Full Version : Wifi or 3g

scotspeter
04-03-2012, 17:32
We are coming out to Tenerife in June and would like to know if I can get wifi or 3g in the Los Christianos area,and if so were.

Vortex Wake
04-03-2012, 18:30
Your own UK phone provider will do internet abroad boosters .

I use T-mobile in the UK , as soon as I arrive in Tenerife , they prompt me towards an internet booster. I do all my email web via this booster over 3g .

If watching steaming videos is your thing, then wifi would be better. Some bars do 'free' wifi - buy a drink at the same time ;)

Marc Weinberg
07-03-2012, 08:33
Im also with t-mobile in the UK, however I tend to not use my t-mobile sim for 3G abroad as I have found it horrendously expensive. I agree with Vortex Wake in that most bars offer free wifi. Sit by the beach, have a drink and use theirs whilst watching the beautiful views. If you in a hotel you may find they also supply wifi. some charge. i believe but it will be cheaper than using your UK provider for 3G. If you must have internet on the move you could buy a spanish sim with Data/ Mobile internet on it as a payg.

As a side to the main question, you will find wifi broadband on the rock to be slower than what your used to in the UK and in some instances 3G wil be faster. In all reallity, depends on what your using it for. Just downloading youe emails will be fine, if you want to start watching you tube and the like then you may have a lot of buffering.

karinagal
07-03-2012, 10:49
I'm with Vodafone here in the UK. The plan I'm on (with an iPhone 4) is £40 per month which is probably too expensive for most people but suits me. With this plan I get a data traveller deal which gives me 25mb of data per day in Europe at no additional cost. As I'm back and forward between the UK and Tenerife regularly, this works well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Balcony
14-03-2012, 09:22
I'm with Vodaphone and use my phone (only as a phone) in Tenerife. It's probably expensive, though I don't use it so much to worry.

I did bring a laptop previously and bought myself a dongle thru Moviestar, which was expensive, so I gave it up. Have to sell it! But there are so many bars etc offering free wif-fi.

I'm off to Apple in a few days to look at the new Ipad, so may graduate to one. Anyone used an Ipad? Can you do much on it....I'm thinking of, say, using Photoshop, Office type programmes?

delderek
14-03-2012, 10:40
Orange UK also do a Traveller deal. 3 quid a day for up to 30mb, and if you don't use any some days, you don't pay. Quite a reasonable deal I think.

karinagal
14-03-2012, 12:01
I'm with Vodaphone and use my phone (only as a phone) in Tenerife. It's probably expensive, though I don't use it so much to worry.

I did bring a laptop previously and bought myself a dongle thru Moviestar, which was expensive, so I gave it up. Have to sell it! But there are so many bars etc offering free wif-fi.

I'm off to Apple in a few days to look at the new Ipad, so may graduate to one. Anyone used an Ipad? Can you do much on it....I'm thinking of, say, using Photoshop, Office type programmes?

There's a new app called iPhoto which I think might be similar to photoshop. I use an app called Office HD which let's me read and write word documents, spreadsheets and presentations. The app cost me £6.99.

Balcony
14-03-2012, 17:43
Thanks K. The apps sound interesting.

It'll be nice if I could get something light and easy to carry/use. My real concern is the compatibility with programmes on my (Windows) PC.

There's a new app called iPhoto which I think might be similar to photoshop. I use an app called Office HD which let's me read and write word documents, spreadsheets and presentations. The app cost me £6.99.

Rickiebear
14-03-2012, 20:48
Hi, I have an iPad and use it whilst in Tenerife. I only use it with free WiFi. I have no problem finding a signal, bars, cafes, supermarkets and sometimes community areas.
As for the iPad, it's great. I bought 'Pages', the rest of the apps are free. As well as work, I hold movies on it, great for flights, books, newspapers and games.
I would not want to be without it now.