PDA

View Full Version : My latest experience with the Spanish health service

bonitatime
05-03-2012, 16:02
Late last week I found a lump in my breat. I made an appointment with the Dr and due to work the first I could make was this morning. He looked at the lump and said he didn't think it was a worry but I should see a gnynocologist and sent me to reception for an emergency appointment which I had to go straight to Candelaria for.
Having arrived I was passed straight to emergency gny. there I had to wait a couple of hours but 2 of the women who came in after me were pregnant and spotting so this was the least of my worries.
Here I saw 2 more Dr's one of whom was the Gny consultant. Both think there is nothing to worry about but I have to come back for a mammogram to be safe. My impression was that was more because I had an aunt die of breast cancer. I was treated very well and think the system is great. I know sometimes you need to wait a long time for a non urgent appointment but the urgency care is great.

seanocelt
05-03-2012, 17:47
Sincerely hope they are correct, best wishes and thanks for the report on the health service.

primrose
07-08-2014, 14:00
Another wasted day thanks to the Spanish Health Service, a few weeks ago I got a text to say they had changed my OH's appointment for the Cardiologist to the 7th August,got my OH up got him ready went up to Mojon only to be told he didn't have an appointment, showed them the text on my phone, told to wait and wait and wait came back shrugged her shoulders and said these things happen, the Cardiologist was there we had an appointment but because his name wasn't on their little bit of paper weren't allowed to see him, they couldn't run a p*ss up in Brewery.

Malteser Monkey
07-08-2014, 14:19
Blimey Primrose not nice experience hope you get him seen soon

Bonitatime - hope it all turns out well for you too - Keep us posted

Good Lord this thread is from 2012 ! Just realised !!!

primrose
07-08-2014, 14:45
Blimey Primrose not nice experience hope you get him seen soon

Bonitatime - hope it all turns out well for you too - Keep us posted

Good Lord this thread is from 2012 ! Just realised !!!

My experience is from this morning but title of this thread of my experience of the Health Service was relevant to what happened today, also not happy about the Brain Scan I have in my cupboard for OH with no appointment for results till the end of November.Just wish I had put a complaint in while I was there.

Malteser Monkey
07-08-2014, 14:52
My experience is from this morning but title of this thread of my experience of the Health Service was relevant to what happened today, also not happy about the Brain Scan I have in my cupboard for OH with no appointment for results till the end of November.Just wish I had put a complaint in while I was there.

Yes I did realise that

That's ridiculous November !

macdonald5
08-08-2014, 08:18
Oh my goodness !! How horrible for you both primrose and we thought Scottish NHS was slow !
Hope this rotten delay doesn't cause extra problems
Best regards to you both

warbey
08-08-2014, 21:07
Sorry bonitatime I missed this item 2012. Did it end well ?

Sorry primrose to hear of the Stress You and O.H. have had too.

I have had some issues over the Years and found its best to be Polite at all times but also assertive and firm.

"They" tend to push the weaker ones around I believe...

Hope things progress well for You both......

Ecky Thump
08-08-2014, 21:49

I know that we should not expect all services and treatments to be the same in Tenerife as it is in the Uk and that every case is different, but having to wait nearly four months appears to be ridiculous, when I had a brain scan after a fall from a ladder, which resulted in a fractured skull, a bleed on the brain and a double fracture of my back, I had the results of the scan within 24 hours. I would have thought that a consultant would have viewed the scan and be able to give his professional opinion in just a few days. ???

PS. If anyone makes a remark about finding my brain, then I shall treat it as humour and won't be offended.;)

mike in chayofa
08-08-2014, 21:50
Another wasted day thanks to the Spanish Health Service, a few weeks ago I got a text to say they had changed my OH's appointment for the Cardiologist to the 7th August,got my OH up got him ready went up to Mojon only to be told he didn't have an appointment, showed them the text on my phone, told to wait and wait and wait came back shrugged her shoulders and said these things happen, the Cardiologist was there we had an appointment but because his name wasn't on their little bit of paper weren't allowed to see him, they couldn't run a p*ss up in Brewery.

I am sorry to hear that. How long will it be until another appointment is available?

My experience with the social health service is that they are either really excellent or totally useless. There doesn't appear to be any mid-ground.

primrose
08-08-2014, 21:50
Sorry bonitatime I missed this item 2012. Did it end well ?

Sorry primrose to hear of the Stress You and O.H. have had too.

I have had some issues over the Years and found its best to be Polite at all times but also assertive and firm.

"They" tend to push the weaker ones around I believe...

Hope things progress well for You both......

As my OH isn't capable of saying anything for himself I have to do it for him,but I have found out that it is useless trying to get any sense out of anybody at that Hospital. The appointment was on my mobile phone but there was no way they were going to let him see a Doctor and then they had the cheek to offer him the first appointment they said they had which was for next May. Well no way was that going to happen and they suddenly found an appointment for the middle of August.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I am sorry to hear that. How long will it be until another appointment is available?

My experience with the social health service is that they are either really excellent or totally useless. There doesn't appear to be any mid-ground.

I have also found that, I had my Cataracts done here but I was sent to Hospiten Sur and had both done in six weeks and the Hospital and Consultant were fantastic. In my OH's case when he isn't able to speak for himself it depends on the Consultant he sees, some don't understand his Brain Damage was caused by a Cardiac Arrest some are great, it really is a bit of a lottery.

mike in chayofa
08-08-2014, 21:57
... but I have found out that it is useless trying to get any sense out of anybody at that Hospital.

ie El Mojón

This reminds me of an experience that I had with them a few years ago.

To those that don't know, Chayofa (where I live) is a couple of minutes drive to El Mojón hospital

I went to see a receptionist, gave her a letter from the doctor and she said ..... 'Where is Chayofa? I'm not sure that we cover that area'

I looked out of the window and pointed!

bonitatime
08-08-2014, 23:23
It did thanks

kingbaker
09-08-2014, 00:03
I know that we should not expect all services and treatments to be the same in Tenerife as it is in the Uk and that every case is different, but having to wait nearly four months appears to be ridiculous, when I had a brain scan after a fall from a ladder, which resulted in a fractured skull, a bleed on the brain and a double fracture of my back, I had the results of the scan within 24 hours. I would have thought that a consultant would have viewed the scan and be able to give his professional opinion in just a few days. ???

PS. If anyone makes a remark about finding my brain, then I shall treat it as humour and won't be offended.;)

The thick plottens!!:p;)

kingbaker
09-08-2014, 00:06
I'd say the tests were probs negative!!:D:p;)

kingbaker
09-08-2014, 00:08
It did thanks

Didn't know about the scare.....glad you're ok bonitatime.;););)

warbey
09-08-2014, 20:42
I forecast this Thread could go on for ever.......................