PDA

View Full Version : Other Deaf/Mute Sellers - Tolerate or abuse?

CIMBER
06-03-2012, 00:37
I recently witnessed, an altercation on the terrace of a bar in Los Gigantes - one of the deaf/mute sellers being prevented from placing his wares on the tables of the bar users by the bar staff, resulting in an animated display of fingers to heads 'gun style' in a silent reposte.
Personally, I don't have a problem with these people, they are far less intrusive than the 'Lookies' and probably need the revenue.......or perhaps I'm naive & they're just 'con-persons'. (But I doubt it).
Any thoughts.....

AL JAY
06-03-2012, 00:42
I don't mind them really and some of their wares are ok but the cynical in me wonders if they are all deaf mutes :whistle:

Me...4 euro's you say

DM...Si

Me...WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT :D

timmylish
06-03-2012, 03:48
My sister has been totally deaf since birth although her husband is less able in the speech department and both, intrinsically, dislike this practice for the obvious reasons being unable to ascertain the exact extent of infirmity.

dotty1
06-03-2012, 09:39
I don!t mind, I have bought off them and I have refused, some objects have been going a long time, not sure if they are completely deaf but like Cimber says they do no harm, prefer them to the lookie lookie men

Tom & Sharon
06-03-2012, 10:18
Don't mind them myself,never seen any trouble with them.
In my experience if you say no to them putting the items on your table,some may grumble and some smile and give you a nod!
I must say though I have always been surprised HOW MANY deaf mute people there are on Tenerife? :wow:

Tom

Brian
06-03-2012, 10:24
It is definitely a growth industry, a couple of years ago you would see one a night, now they follow each other around the bars;)

mariben
06-03-2012, 10:30
I don't mind them, they usually are very nice, I've never had any problems when I have said no, they just smile and nod, I have also bought things from them and they have lasted a long time.

bonitatime
06-03-2012, 11:05
They make me so cross. The whole thing is a Rumanian gang fraud
We were out to lunch a few years ago and on the next table to us were a large party of deaf and dumb people. When the good lighter sellers came by the diners attempted to talk to them and I have never seen anyone look as astounded as the supposed deaf and dumb vendor. He gathered his wares and disappeared very quickly.

Ecky Thump
06-03-2012, 11:11
They make me so cross. The whole thing is a Rumanian gang fraud
We were out to lunch a few years ago and on the next table to us were a large party of deaf and dumb people. When the good lighter sellers came by the diners attempted to talk to them and I have never seen anyone look as astounded as the supposed deaf and dumb vendor. He gathered his wares and disappeared very quickly.

I saw that said the Blind Man,
Your a liar said the Mute Man,
I heard you said the Deaf Man!!
:wow:

tonypub
06-03-2012, 11:16
aaheeemmm,right here we go......i remember a deaf mute girl seller doing the rounds tfs,many times i seen her doing sign language etc to communicate.a few years later she popped up in the chicken take away in torviscas,workin,speaking english,spanish and maybe italian so she was fake.recently theyve theres been lots of different mute sellers knockin about.i try and stop them plying there wears in my pub.most of them accept me saying no thank you but one night i stopped a guy,i got the throat slit sign from him,not nice.as he walked away with his back turned i said f..ing idiot.he came straight back at me and spat in my face and done the throat slit thing,so he heard me.please dont encourage or buy the stuff they got,it only encourages them,they are FAKE and SCUM.

Ecky Thump
06-03-2012, 11:39
aaheeemmm,right here we go......i remember a deaf mute girl seller doing the rounds tfs,many times i seen her doing sign language etc to communicate.a few years later she popped up in the chicken take away in torviscas,workin,speaking english,spanish and maybe italian so she was fake.recently theyve theres been lots of different mute sellers knockin about.i try and stop them plying there wears in my pub.most of them accept me saying no thank you but one night i stopped a guy,i got the throat slit sign from him,not nice.as he walked away with his back turned i said f..ing idiot.he came straight back at me and spat in my face and done the throat slit thing,so he heard me.please dont encourage or buy the stuff they got,it only encourages them,they are FAKE and SCUM.

Is that all of them or just some of them that are frauds?

YOUNG GOLFER
06-03-2012, 11:48
Is that all of them or just some of them that are frauds?

I guess it's very hard Ecky to find out which ones are for real and ones that are frauds as they are not going to answer you.
Think two forum members who have both been here a while have told members the real facts.
I too have seen one order a half of beer and say thanks.

golf birdie
06-03-2012, 11:49
blind man driving a Merc, only in Tenerife;)

Ecky Thump
06-03-2012, 11:53
I guess it's very hard Ecky to find out which ones are for real and ones that are frauds as they are not going to answer you.
Think two forum members who have both been here a while have told members the real facts.
I too have seen one order a half of beer and say thanks.

But, if not all of them are operating a scam, then its not the real facts and the genuine deaf/dumb sellers will suffer???

golf birdie
06-03-2012, 11:59
But, if not all of them are operating a scam, then its not the real facts and the genuine deaf/dumb sellers will suffer???

there are none, its a controlled scam, one of the many on this island.

YOUNG GOLFER
06-03-2012, 12:28
If people would like to give then you can check out this link and translate the page.

http://www.funcasor.org/

it's in Carretera General La Laguna.

FGuncasor Fundacion Canaria para el sordo

timmylish
06-03-2012, 13:40
there are none, its a controlled scam, one of the many on this island.

Now that is just plain daft. Of course there are some! I can personally vouch (insofar as being deaf) for two or three.

golf birdie
06-03-2012, 13:46
Now that is just plain daft. Of course there are some! I can personally vouch (insofar as being deaf) for two or three.

so they have cards issued by the Spanish deaf association and all money collected goes to a central fund for all deaf people? If not its just begging, plain and simple.

atlantico
06-03-2012, 15:23
just treat them like the usual street seller - if they sell what you want, at the price you want, buy it - if not, don't - simples

emmess
06-03-2012, 18:56
At least they aren't as bad as the Chinese women who sell light up toys. They approach and you say no, so they go and start showing things to the children and encouraging them to play with them, obviously in the hope that they'll say they want one. That really infuriates me and I often say NO! I have told you no, do not show them to the children!

bonitatime
06-03-2012, 19:09
At least they aren't as bad as the Chinese women who sell light up toys. They approach and you say no, so they go and start showing things to the children and encouraging them to play with them, obviously in the hope that they'll say they want one. That really infuriates me and I often say NO! I have told you no, do not show them to the children!

I see this differently but understand where you are coming from. The difference is there is not the implied threat backed up by a gang as Tony and the OP descriibes. It is though very unfair to abuse children this way. We seldom eat on the front in Los Cris as I find the whole thing infuriating.

warbey
06-03-2012, 19:28
People walking up to My Table and plonking things down without an invitation makes Me MAD

Its so rude. Afew weeks ago I was delighted to see one of these People told

Politely to leave by the Owner..

You have never seen such an expression of Dumb insolence.!

if They are impaired tough, I dont care, The Table is not for Them and I will never buy fromThem.

If We all did this the Practice will stop..... Just dont hold Your Breath..

emmess
06-03-2012, 21:31
I see this differently but understand where you are coming from. The difference is there is not the implied threat backed up by a gang as Tony and the OP descriibes. It is though very unfair to abuse children this way. We seldom eat on the front in Los Cris as I find the whole thing infuriating.

No you're absolutely right. I was giving my perspective as a punter at the table.

bonitatime
06-03-2012, 21:36
And a parent.

judetenerife
06-03-2012, 22:18
just my opinion but truly deaf / mute people around the world dont go round cafe tables begging (in general) and the Spanish Deaf society certainly would not endorse such a practice in the tourist areas of Tenerife. Sure there is bound to be a homeless deaf person around who has fallen on hard times but not roving in gangs with trinkets to sell. People who are really deaf / mute lead normal lives, hold down jobs and have family just like the rest of us.

Bonnie1964
06-03-2012, 22:39
First came across them last year and my daughter and her pal bought something from a guy who I could remember selling roses the year before and he wasn't deaf and dumb!!.......they thought I was mistaken a few nights later there he was selling roses again made us all mad:angry:

Nic
06-03-2012, 22:41
There are two go in to one of the bars that my other half works in. On one occasion he saw one of them talking round the corner on his mobile phone then driving off in his car (it is illegal for a deaf person to drive) and another time a balloon was burst behind one and he shot up in the air, a lot of people witnessed it and caught on to what he was doing so he just picked up his rubbish and ran off. I've always been told that it was a scam but maybe there are a few who are genuine but as others have said, at the end of the day it's begging, plain and simples.

tonypub
06-03-2012, 22:45
There are two go in to one of the bars that my other half works in. On one occasion he saw one of them talking round the corner on his mobile phone then driving off in his car (it is illegal for a deaf person to drive) and another time a balloon was burst behind one and he shot up in the air, a lot of people witnessed it and caught on to what he was doing so he just picked up his rubbish and ran off. I've always been told that it was a scam but maybe there are a few who are genuine but as others have said, at the end of the day it's begging, plain and simples.ill forever have balloons at the ready now:lol:

blondie
07-03-2012, 15:33
Thanks for that I wont feel so guilty now when I refuse, impossible to buy from everyone.

SuzyQ
08-03-2012, 01:23
Since I sing in different restaurants and bars, Ive watched this parctise over the past few years. I reckon the original few were probably genuine, and some of them are still around. The lovely canarian girl that comes to Golf del Sur Wednesdays for example. I think over the years the criminal fraternity have cottoned onto the fact thats its an earner, and now its a free for all. I wonder if the OP is talking about the Harbour Club, because there wa a situation there a few months ago which has lead to them banning all vendors. The guy was going round with his wares, and a table asked him not to put them down. He became aggresive so the owner of the restaurant came over. The vendor then smashed a bottle and went to attack him with it, but stopped short and ran off. Its a shame if the genuine ones are now suffering because of the con artists.

funtogo
10-03-2012, 22:51
We have always wondered about the number of deaf/mute people collecting in Tenerife. We often thought that as we were in Golf Del Sur it was the noise of the over head planes that caused it!! No offence intended to the genuine deaf/mute people out there. Per head of the population it does seem to be a terrible problem in Tenerife LOL!!! :lol:

Sal
10-03-2012, 23:04
I would never buy from these people as they come into restaurants - and I feel that is an intrusion on our privacy when we are just enjoying a meal out on our holiday. Some restaurants don't allow these vendors in - good for them!

starling
13-03-2012, 21:58
Don't mind them myself,never seen any trouble with them.
In my experience if you say no to them putting the items on your table,some may grumble and some smile and give you a nod!
I must say though I have always been surprised HOW MANY deaf mute people there are on Tenerife? :wow:

Tom

..... Must be something in the water eh?..... I said - It must be something in the.................

Loaded
13-03-2012, 22:10
I got sold a dodgy lighter once but my complaint fell on deaf ears.....

Im here all week , try the steak!

davship
14-03-2012, 14:43
We have been told that a lot of these people are expert pick pockets and pray on good nature and people taking pity on them. I am sure that some of them are genuine but BEWARE!!!!!

Seren
19-03-2012, 13:31
This I really dont like its rude, when im sat down relaxing having a drink/food the last thing I want is someone plonking down things on my table to try and sell it too me! If I wanted to purchase a flashing keyring or light up clock etc then I would come over to you. I never even touch the things and just ignore them and try to continue to enjoy my drink/food very annoying.

timmylish
20-03-2012, 12:48
There are two go in to one of the bars that my other half works in. On one occasion he saw one of them talking round the corner on his mobile phone then driving off in his car (it is illegal for a deaf person to drive) and another time a balloon was burst behind one and he shot up in the air, a lot of people witnessed it and caught on to what he was doing so he just picked up his rubbish and ran off. I've always been told that it was a scam but maybe there are a few who are genuine but as others have said, at the end of the day it's begging, plain and simples.

Sorry to disagree but I have to advise you that deaf persons are perfectly entitled to drive, my deaf sister and her mute husband both drive, legally, each and every day in life!

obs
20-03-2012, 13:11
Sorry to disagree but I have to advise you that deaf persons are perfectly entitled to drive, my deaf sister and her mute husband both drive, legally, each and every day in life!

I can vouch for that timmylish. In a former life I used to teach them. There are special signals you use to insruct, and the examiners use the same ones, so there is no confusion. Not the easiest of pupils to teach, but far more satisfying when you get them through.

Medman
20-03-2012, 13:18

I thought that at the time I saw the quote. Deaf people are more aware of what's going on around them than the idiots driving with the stereo pumping out 1,000 watts !