PDA

View Full Version : Used Clothing Containers in Streets

canarybird
06-03-2012, 14:45
I'm not sure this has been mentioned before, but some Tenerife municipalities are now providing large tan-coloured collection bins installed by Canarias Recycling, S.L. for recycling of used shoes and clothing in good condition.
The bins are located next to the usual recycle containers for glass, plastic and papers.

Guía de Isora, Los Realejos and Puerto de la Cruz are some of the towns which now have the bins installed and are collecting clothing and shoes to be cleaned, sorted and then passed on to charitable organizations for the needy.

In November last year there were 18 collection bins in Puerto de la Cruz, and at this time there may be more, as I have noticed two of them already in the La Paz area.

They ask that the items be placed in bags before depositing them in the bins.

Here's a photo from Diaro de Avisos of one of the bins, with the lettering "Ropa y Calzado".......clothing and shoes.

http://www.diariodeavisos.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/contenedor-ropa-guia-isora.jpg

photo from Diario de Avisos

I'm going to have a great clearing of my closets. Although the company says they will wash before sorting things, I'm washing all the clothes that I'm giving and putting a note in the bags to say so.

So here's a chance to do spring cleaning for those residents who, like me, hate to throw anything out that can be still be useful to someone.
And you know the clothing will go where it's needed.

Canarybird

Suej
06-03-2012, 14:51
I always pop unwanted clothing into the Live Arico shop! but this is an excellent idea, not seen them in Arona yet! maybe somebody will know?

Megaloo
06-03-2012, 16:34
I have previoulsy taken mine to Santa Rita 2 where they sort out some for residents who are short of clothes and put the rest in their shop they have on the premises, they also take brica brac. But the street bins are a good idea.

kellyman
06-03-2012, 17:20
The way the locals rifle through the bins here, the clothes bins would never get full.

canarybird
06-03-2012, 19:48
Well once things have been deposited in the street bins, nobody can get them out as the deposit/drop door isn't two way.

And I think I could fill at least half a bin myself with all the clothes and shoes I've collected over the years. :)

Canarybird

warbey
06-03-2012, 19:59
Used clothing has become a Commodity in this Area.

So its quite valuable as scrap too.!

astara
06-03-2012, 21:22
Used clothing has become a Commodity in this Area.

So its quite valuable as scrap too.!

I do wish we could find someone to give our used clothing that we cant sell in the live ARICO CHARITY SHOP, we end up having to bin the items not good enough for sale.. I just hope someone makes use of the bags we put at the basura??

bonitatime
06-03-2012, 21:49
Have you tried Cáritas?

astara
06-03-2012, 21:52
Have you tried Cáritas?

Have you some contact details? we used to send stuff to the nuns, but uinfortunately the vicar got snowed under & couldnt take any more.

canarybird
06-03-2012, 22:00
I don't think anyone checks bags left at basura pickups. So anything left there would probably be tossed on the garbage truck.
There used to be people in La Orotava who tore up old clothing into strips to make those braided oval rag rugs that were sold cheaply in markets.
I don't have a contact for them but that would be the final resting place for clothes that can't be sold or even given away.
Or else leave them in these new bins and they may have a source for the rag rug makers.

Canarybird

bonitatime
07-03-2012, 00:42
I will try to find something. I used to have a neighbour our but we moved.