PDA

View Full Version : Other Be alert for pick-pockets in Los Cristianos, Tenerife

cowen1000
08-03-2012, 07:59
Be careful if your drinking around the Apolo Centre in Los Cristianos. A group of people are pick-pocketing.

One of them will fall into you and fall on the floor (as if he is drunk) and while you are distracted, the others start pick-pocketing.

eggletonjo
08-03-2012, 09:33
Thanks for the info, sounds like the same distraction method used by the ones targeting the bus stops

blondie
08-03-2012, 13:52
Are you reading this Timmylish its not just folk who dont live in the real world who are being targeted. This is a problem which is really getting out of hand in Tenerifeand is an affront to all those hardworking people out there struggling to make a living in this climate.I am back oyt in two weeks time, no thieving scum is going to put me off, but I despise the way I am made to feel now in distrusting anyone who comes within two feet of me.The police know who these pickpockets are yet they only seem to find the time to pick on PRs and lookie lookie men who are doing no harm, what is wrong with them,do they not realise if tourists stay away , their jobs will not be required either.

VideoMem
08-03-2012, 15:26
They are also working up at the top near Los Diamantes, my friend had his pocket picked and wallet stolen a few days ago. The big suprise was that to report the theft he had to go into Las Americas and give details to the National Police.

Davie Thistle
08-03-2012, 15:49
Thanx for the warning we are up that way in claveles
And anybody that comes within
two feet of me gets a bat in the gub!!

Added after 4 minutes:

blondie
08-03-2012, 15:55
Noo yir talkiin, whit di wi say ,we ll set aboot yi !!!

aslin
08-03-2012, 16:40
thanks for the warning

aeroeng
08-03-2012, 19:39
They have also played this ploy outside the Mongolian Restaruant appearing drunk and when you go to help them get up off the floor they pick your pockets.
So many tourists stopping at Paradise Park have also been done walking from the spa to the hotel.
The police should be patroling more on foot and then they would catch the thieving B.......

macdonald5
08-03-2012, 20:59

Added after 4 minutes:

Or a Gesca kiss !!!!

Added after 4 minutes:

Or a Glesca kiss !!!!

Nic
09-03-2012, 23:03
I don't condone this one little bit but a recent report says that 140,000 people on the islands now have no means of income, nothing, nowt, nada so crime is going to be their only option. The Government has to do something because if crime starts getting uncontrollable then we're going to lose tourism and without tourism, we're doomed, all doomed I tell you (you need to say that last bit with a Scots accent by the way lol!). Seriously though, tourists are going to have bags pinched, pockets picked, word spreads and people will say to others not to go to the Canaries on holiday as there is a lot of crime. Bad news always spreads faster than good news so hopefully something will be done to curb this. Maybe employing more police would be a start, give some people jobs and cut down on crime at the same time!!

chris
10-03-2012, 01:32
I don't condone this one little bit but a recent report says that 140,000 people on the islands now have no means of income, nothing, nowt, nada so crime is going to be their only option. The Government has to do something because if crime starts getting uncontrollable then we're going to lose tourism and without tourism, we're doomed, all doomed I tell you (you need to say that last bit with a Scots accent by the way lol!). Seriously though, tourists are going to have bags pinched, pockets picked, word spreads and people will say to others not to go to the Canaries on holiday as there is a lot of crime. Bad news always spreads faster than good news so hopefully something will be done to curb this. Maybe employing more police would be a start, give some people jobs and cut down on crime at the same time!!

It's happening all over the world not just Tenerife.

Nic
10-03-2012, 09:21

I don't doubt that for one moment, this recession has been going a long time now but we rely mainly on tourism here, I would estimate about 80% of Tenerife's income is related in some way to tourism and if the tourists don't feel safe then they're not going to come and crme rates will sore even higher. The Government really has to do something to provide for people that don't have any means of support but the bankers are still too busy lining their own pockets....maybe these pickpockets should pick the pockets of bankers instead, they'd be able to retire on what they get!

TOTO 99
10-03-2012, 09:54
I understand what you're saying Nic but to be honest it's been happening for years. You can bet your life that none of these pickpockets rush home with the money to feed their kids.
Picking peoples pockets does require a bit of skill and setting up. These people are just criminals through & through.
Unfortunately I still see so many obvious targets when I'm out & about. It's hard when you're relaxed on holiday but you still have to have your wits about you.
This post is a great early warning though for people heading that way. We could do with a few more like this.

Ecky Thump
10-03-2012, 11:21

The main difference between Tenerife and our home towns/cities is that the majority of the people walking the streets are relaxed and at times carrying more money than they would normally be when at home, so are easy targets for the thieves.

Medman
10-03-2012, 12:00
The main difference between Tenerife and our home towns/cities is that the majority of the people walking the streets are relaxed and at times carrying more money than they would normally be when at home, so are easy targets for the thieves.

Especially now you have your pension Ecky :D

golf birdie
10-03-2012, 12:07
a few fish hooks on a bit of line tied in your pocket puts them off for a while;)

caroletenerife
10-03-2012, 12:39
In a lot of police atations in the UK, you can pick up little bells that you attach to your purse, i have seen tourist here with them. Pop in and ask your local bobby, i think they are free x

A woman who lives here goes to the market with her back pack deliberatly open and mouse traps inside lol, dont know if she has caught anyone yet x

TOTO 99
10-03-2012, 12:43
a few fish hooks on a bit of line tied in your pocket puts them off for a while;)

Not sure I could trust myself with that one GB..:doh:

Suej
10-03-2012, 15:01
We once were walking behind a couple with small rucksacks on their backs in Los Cris we could clearly see a camera strap hanging out of an open pocket of the woman's rucksack so we stopped them told them that it might be best if it wasn't so obvious as the strap had Cannon emblazoned all along the length of it! They were quite offended by our comments and said they had been coming to Tenerife for years and had never been robbed! I wonder how many cameras they have bought since! Didn't even thanks us! rolleyes2:

Palmero
10-03-2012, 16:38
We once were walking behind a couple with small rucksacks on their backs in Los Cris we could clearly see a camera strap hanging out of an open pocket of the woman's rucksack so we stopped them told them that it might be best if it wasn't so obvious as the strap had Cannon emblazoned all along the length of it! They were quite offended by our comments and said they had been coming to Tenerife for years and had never been robbed! I wonder how many cameras they have bought since! Didn't even thanks us! rolleyes2:

IF they said "we had been coming to Tenerife for years and had never been robbed!"

What is your point of making a point of how many cameras they bought :P They said words "NEVER BEEN ROBBED"!

TOTO 99
10-03-2012, 16:45
IF they said "we had been coming to Tenerife for years and had never been robbed!"

What is your point of making a point of how many cameras they bought :P They said words "NEVER BEEN ROBBED"!

You do realise that every post you make will have to be perfect from now on don't you?........just sayin'

Palmero
10-03-2012, 16:48
You do realise that every post you make will have to be perfect from now on don't you?........just sayin'

OK!

So, what is your point now? :P

Santiago
10-03-2012, 16:54
Many years ago, in the eighties, up by the Oro Negro, we were walking along the pavement behind a German lady who had a bag hooked over her shoulder. A couple of lads on a scooter came past and the pillion passenger scooped the shoulder bag off her arm. They disappeared almost before she could scream.

On another occasion I was carrying a camera and taking photographs along the promenade in front of the Hotel Conquistador and my husband told me to wind the strap around my hand as he had noticed a girl following us. We watched the girl covertly and eventually she gave up and presumably went after someone else.

It is far too easy to be careless without realising it and I must admit I never carry money in my pockets or where it can be seen. Better to be safe than sorry, but it is not a new phenomenon just that the methods change.

Suej
10-03-2012, 16:55

My point was....It was a few years back and I wondered if they had continued to be so relaxed about their personal security they could well have had a few cameras stolen by now!:whistle:

Medman
10-03-2012, 17:40
My point was....It was a few years back and I wondered if they had continued to be so relaxed about their personal security they could well have had a few cameras stolen by now!:whistle:

I knew what you meant Suej; so that's all that matters :D Get my point

Suej
10-03-2012, 17:44
I knew what you meant Suej; so that's all that matters :D Get my point

Sharp as a tack you are!!!!:D

caroletenerife
10-03-2012, 17:45
I got your point too, people are too relaxed..I have lost count of the times i have picked up a shoppers bag from the floor, that they have put down while they look around, when i point out the dangers, they say 'oh, i know, i shouldnt do that, should I'....ehhh NO!!

Suej
10-03-2012, 17:56
I got your point too, people are too relaxed..I have lost count of the times i have picked up a shoppers bag from the floor, that they have put down while they look around, when i point out the dangers, they say 'oh, i know, i shouldnt do that, should I'....ehhh NO!!

How many times have you seen women sitting at outside bars, them in one chair and their handbag sitting alone on another! :wow:

Medman
10-03-2012, 18:09
How many times have you seen women sitting at outside bars, them in one chair and their handbag sitting alone on another! :wow:

My old bag always sits on another chair, coz she's too bloomin heavy to sit on my knee :scared:

Suej
10-03-2012, 18:13
My old bag always sits on another chair, coz she's too bloomin heavy to sit on my knee :scared:

I well and truly asked for that!!!!:crylaughing:

Palmero
10-03-2012, 18:14

Maybe yes maybe not, but I would rather be robbed after 20 years of coming to Tenerife than be told that you can lose your valuables and then watching all of the people walking past, and wonder "OK which one is thieve" some truths are better left for one to be experienced and not constantly anticipated.
Because what is the fun and pleasure of being the thieve watcher?

Theirs Tenerife time was wonder full and relaxed until you told them:
"We have thieves you know here in Tenerife, watch out" Sometimes it's better to lose some stupid camera than pollute your mind.
And they specifically came here from their sad reality to not think about thieves or troubles.

caroletenerife
10-03-2012, 18:17
I know!!!.Todays story was 450 euros and all the cards, stolen from handbag. WHY, WHY, WHY, do they take so much money out with them. No wonder they are stealing, its like paradise out there.

TOTO 99
10-03-2012, 18:20
I wish all our newbies were this pleasant......:laugh:

caroletenerife
10-03-2012, 18:27
Maybe yes maybe not, but I would rather be robbed after 20 years of coming to Tenerife than be told that you can lose your valuables and then watching all of the people walking past, and wonder "OK which one is thieve" some truths are better left for one to be experienced and not constantly anticipated.

"We have thieves you know here in Tenerife, watch out" Sometimes it's better to lose some stupid camera than pollute your mind.
And they specifically came here from their sad reality to not think about thieves or troubles.

Thieves are only successful if people are not vigilant. Is it not better to warn people to take care so that they can enjoy their holiday in Tenerife, rather than be robbed because they were careless. The latter would leave a more lasting negative opinion of Tenerife, dont you think

Medman
10-03-2012, 18:40

I think the moral of the story here is not to be a thief watcher but to be a self possession watcher. That's all.

Wouldn't have spoiled my holiday if someone had pointed out that I was perhaps being careless. I would have thanked her.

Palmero
10-03-2012, 18:46
OK, so to all of you :) go back, read again, and read it backwards, horizontally, and maybe... I say maybe you will get my point of NOT THINKING UPFRONT, for something which might never happened to you, but you are constantly thinking about it (do you think every time that you will die in car crash you drive to work?), what is the point of doing that.
Let live be lived and not future seen.
Don't pollute your life (head) with.... :)

Medman
10-03-2012, 18:56
OK, so to all of you :) go back, read again, and read it backwards, horizontally, and maybe... I say maybe you will get my point of NOT THINKING UPFRONT, for something which might never happened to you, but you are constantly thinking about it (do you think every time that you will die in car crash you drive to work?), what is the point of doing that.

Certainly seems like you don't look to the future Palmero. But obviously think that you can see into the past, as you would have us believe that you knew this couple's holiday and probably the rest of their lives were ruined due to a helpful stranger.

TOTO 99
10-03-2012, 19:01

Nothing we like more than someone talking down to us. You're gonna fit in just fine here....
By the way, nice tongue twister on the next to last line....:laugh: All the best.

Suej
10-03-2012, 19:30
Nothing we like more than someone talking down to us. You're gonna fit in just fine here....
By the way, nice tongue twister on the next to last line....:laugh: All the best.

You mean backwards, horizontally surely!:laugh:

horse face
10-03-2012, 19:45
Reminds me of a very attractive young lady in Madrid who was always on the lookout for tourists that sat at the bar with their bag on the floor besides them. (me). Her scam was to plonk herself on the stool beside you & with a 'Ola que tal?' she'd slip off her coat & dazzle you with her ample top portions all hanging out. While you're still in a state of bedazzlement she then drops her coat on top of your bag, slurps down a thimble sized cup of cafe' and its 'arry luago' & she picks up her coat plus the bag underneath & away she goes... In this case with a pair of my old trainers.... I had to keep them in a zip up bag because of the smell!..

tracy hampshire
10-03-2012, 20:04
this sort of thing happens, in every tourist resort in the world, so wherever people travel, they should take care, basicly if you wouldn't do it at home, don't do it on holiday, once holidaying in barbados i saw a woman give a stranger $ 100, to buy here some dope, needless to say he was never seen again, our hotel room was broken into in spain in the 80's, the theives walked in bold as brass through reception, so it's nothing new, just the methods that change, on a good note, you can still walk round puerto, & see bread hanging on the outside of doors where the bread man has delivered them, now would you see that in the uk, i think not they would all have been halfinched ,

Suej
10-03-2012, 20:27
this sort of thing happens, in every tourist resort in the world, so wherever people travel, they should take care, basicly if you wouldn't do it at home, don't do it on holiday, once holidaying in barbados i saw a woman give a stranger $ 100, to buy here some dope, needless to say he was never seen again, our hotel room was broken into in spain in the 80's, the theives walked in bold as brass through reception, so it's nothing new, just the methods that change, on a good note, you can still walk round puerto, & see bread hanging on the outside of doors where the bread man has delivered them, now would you see that in the uk, i think not they would all have been halfinched ,

Yep it can happen to anyone in a split second! a friend of mine driving home from work (in the UK) on a nice summer evening, her bag on passenger seat stopped at the lights! hand came in through the open window Bag gone! quick as a flash! As you say tracey we need to be aware where ever we are!

cowen1000
10-03-2012, 21:15
I'm glad I started this thread :)

Suej
10-03-2012, 21:27
I'm glad I started this thread :)
And a good thread too cowen!:)

YOUNG GOLFER
10-03-2012, 22:11
And a good thread too cowen!:)

Yes this is a very good thread ...people should be alerted to things like this...... if this thread helps one person stay safe then to me it's a great thing.

Whos the nice new member lol

marbro8
10-03-2012, 22:17
i wonder why no one has ever been caught for it? with all those discriptions I COULD CATCH EM:D

junglejim
10-03-2012, 22:50
Back to reality with thread!
Wednesday past ,a couple on holiday in out complex ( Los Geranios) were threatened by a "Moroccan" with a knife on walkway coming up from Puerto Colon between LG and Flamingo - relieved of €150 .
Couple of bag snatches and muggings in area over last month also - police presence and visibilty? Nil unless you are illegally parked !

tracy hampshire
10-03-2012, 23:11
i think all the town councils are skint, so more interested in catching & fineing illegally parked cars, you can see the police here ready to pounce, on a morning as soon as the restrictions come into force, sad but true, why not get some of the unemployed set up as special constables, patroling the streets as they do in the uk, may not do any good but at least there would be more police presance, there is a local joke here in puerto that if you need a policeman, it's quicker to call a certain pizzaria, because thats where they all seem to be .

Vortex Wake
16-12-2012, 12:24
Bournemouth Echo: Carry a jingle bell to help beat pickpockets this Christmas

POLICE have been giving out jingle bells to prevent pickpockets during the festive period.

The Bournemouth Central Neighbourhood Team has been meeting Christmas shoppers to hand out bells and give out advice to prevent thieves fleeing with purses and wallets.

The bells can be attached to a purse or handbag and jingle when moved, alerting the owner to potential theft.

Police Community Support Officer Dom Smith said: “We have been giving away the bells in the hope of protecting Christmas shoppers from opportunist thieves during the busy festive season.

“While the chances of getting the contents of your handbag stolen are low, there are additional things you can do to further lower this risk.

“You should carry your handbag close to you with the clasp facing inwards.

“Keep it zipped up, make sure your wallet or purse can’t be seen and avoid carrying valuables or large amounts of cash.”

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/2264865/?type=articleLandscape

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10108900.Carry_a_jingle_bell_to_help_beat_pickpock ets_this_Christmas/

Suej
16-12-2012, 13:09
i think all the town councils are skint, so more interested in catching & fineing illegally parked cars, you can see the police here ready to pounce, on a morning as soon as the restrictions come into force, sad but true, why not get some of the unemployed set up as special constables, patroling the streets as they do in the uk, may not do any good but at least there would be more police presance, there is a local joke here in puerto that if you need a policeman, it's quicker to call a certain pizzaria, because thats where they all seem to be .

Yep! too interested in petty motoring offenses! A friend of a friend got fined 200€ for accidentally turning his fog lamp on!

sheltie
16-12-2012, 14:56
Back to reality with thread!
Wednesday past ,a couple on holiday in out complex ( Los Geranios) were threatened by a "Moroccan" with a knife on walkway coming up from Puerto Colon between LG and Flamingo - relieved of €150 .
Couple of bag snatches and muggings in area over last month also - police presence and visibilty? Nil unless you are illegally parked !

That is scary, we are going out on Friday and walk that way a lot. Last Xmas my sister and her man were out and left Temple bar about midnight. They were going to Sunset Harbour. About half way down the road a "morrocan" looking man tried to give them leaflets for a night club. They went to the chip shop under Santa Maria and ordered food. When they came to pay, they realised he had been pickpocketed, and about 100 euros had been taken. He said he was sorry he would have to cancel the food. The man serving said he wasn't the first one that night to come in and say that. He said they were to take the food (still plenty of good people around) and they went back next night and paid him.
Heard of a lot of pickpoceting happening around that area.

9PLUS
16-12-2012, 16:48
Is this before or after they arrested the 17 pickpockets in the south?

sheltie
16-12-2012, 17:56
This was last Xmas so probably before but the incident with the knife seemed to be last week.

vonnie
16-12-2012, 18:01
We were warned last week about 2 people who work together (probably many more) around that area pocket picking. One of them is on a bike and covers herself with grease while the other gets the wallet or purse and gives it to her and then off she goes. The grease obviously stops you grabbing her so head for the bike to stop her in her travels!

Today we were walking down to the market and this guy standing on the inside of the pavement stepped out in front of us and said 'Are you on honeymoon? Are you going to the market - beware of pickpocketers.' We obviously thought this was very strange behaviour from someone we don't know but immediately were on alert that he was a look-out of some sort. Made me tighten my grip on my bag but I must admit we don't carry a lot of cash on us anyway just in case this happens.