PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Please read BEFORE taking on a pet

DJ Dangerous
11-06-2011, 04:22
Originally written in August 2010:

I received a message today, as I have on many occasions, asking me if I could help somebody trapping a cat.

The catch was, as it is most times, that the cat needed to be moved, due to an imminent threat to its life, this time via poisoning, but there is always something.

At the moment, there are a huge number of cats and kittens seeking homes on both the main Tenerife fora, and countless adverts in any vets that you may happen upon.

Does ANYBODY think of how much this animal is going to cost, and WHO is going to pay?

First step of ownership, common sense really, is blood test, vaccines and neutering.

That's over a hundred Euro, at its very cheapest.

Next step is de-fleaing, worming, chipping and obtaining a passport.

That's another one hundred and fifty odd Euro, again at the best prices possible.

So for every cat or kitten that is lucky enough to find a home, SOMEBODY has to fork out that €250.

For every cat or kitten to be trapped and re-released in the same place, that's over €100.

And, that is without one tin of food or one standard vets visit.

There are about twenty cats and kittens looking for homes on the fora currently.

Twenty times €250 is €5000.

Please, before taking on a pet, and before asking somebody else to accept a burden, think of that cost - and WHO will pay it.

I intend trolling every "Home wanted" thread and re-posting this in it, to try drill home some awareness.

Remember, those prices are rock bottom - many vets will easily be charging three times those figures.

Thank you from the Cats (http://www.cats-aid.com)!

SuzyQ
11-06-2011, 10:58
Thanks DJ, Ill join you on that. We have sick dogs dumped at the refuge so that it's us picking up the tab. I took one poor dog to the vet a few months ago - someone left her at the gates saying he had found her. Who knows?? She was swelled underneath, I had that happen to a dog of mine once, it was heart failure. I didnt hold out much hope for her. Sure enough, Hospivet, who are renouned for trying everything, put her to sleep. But where was her owner? Not holding her paw like he should have been. But then of course he would have been paying the tab rather than LA. This week, another poor dog left at the gates, face pouring blood, there are pics on our FB page. She is in the clinic still, God knows what the bill will be but the owner won't be paying it. Grrrrr!!!

sleepy
11-06-2011, 11:31
Originally written in August 2010:

I received a message today, as I have on many occasions, asking me if I could help somebody trapping a cat.

The catch was, as it is most times, that the cat needed to be moved, due to an imminent threat to its life, this time via poisoning, but there is always something.

At the moment, there are a huge number of cats and kittens seeking homes on both the main Tenerife fora, and countless adverts in any vets that you may happen upon.

Does ANYBODY think of how much this animal is going to cost, and WHO is going to pay?

First step of ownership, common sense really, is blood test, vaccines and neutering.

That's over a hundred Euro, at its very cheapest.

Next step is de-fleaing, worming, chipping and obtaining a passport.

That's another one hundred and fifty odd Euro, again at the best prices possible.

So for every cat or kitten that is lucky enough to find a home, SOMEBODY has to fork out that €250.

For every cat or kitten to be trapped and re-released in the same place, that's over €100.

And, that is without one tin of food or one standard vets visit.

There are about twenty cats and kittens looking for homes on the fora currently.

Twenty times €250 is €5000.

Please, before taking on a pet, and before asking somebody else to accept a burden, think of that cost - and WHO will pay it.

I intend trolling every "Home wanted" thread and re-posting this in it, to try drill home some awareness.

Remember, those prices are rock bottom - many vets will easily be charging three times those figures.

Thank you from the Cats (http://www.cats-aid.com)!

I'll go a long with all that but I'd question this quote?
.'The catch was, as it is most times, that the cat needed to be moved, due to an imminent threat to its life, this time via poisoning'..

I was faced with this predicament and have been on several occasions.It's not nice having a threat such as that hanging over any animal but it was for real and there was nothing I could do about it and nowhere to take these cats away from certain death.
It was one of the saddest days of my life having looked after these cats since birth and then seeing them die in agony in front of my eyes.

So,believe me when I say it does happen.

DJ Dangerous
11-06-2011, 12:24
I'll go a long with all that but I'd question this quote?
.'The catch was, as it is most times, that the cat needed to be moved, due to an imminent threat to its life, this time via poisoning'..

I was faced with this predicament and have been on several occasions.It's not nice having a threat such as that hanging over any animal but it was for real and there was nothing I could do about it and nowhere to take these cats away from certain death.
It was one of the saddest days of my life having looked after these cats since birth and then seeing them die in agony in front of my eyes.

So,believe me when I say it does happen.

Of course it happens - I've seen it so many times already.

However, you have missed my point - why should this be the result? An association with limited funding footing the bill?

Thanks DJ, Ill join you on that. We have sick dogs dumped at the refuge so that it's us picking up the tab. I took one poor dog to the vet a few months ago - someone left her at the gates saying he had found her. Who knows?? She was swelled underneath, I had that happen to a dog of mine once, it was heart failure. I didnt hold out much hope for her. Sure enough, Hospivet, who are renouned for trying everything, put her to sleep. But where was her owner? Not holding her paw like he should have been. But then of course he would have been paying the tab rather than LA. This week, another poor dog left at the gates, face pouring blood, there are pics on our FB page. She is in the clinic still, God knows what the bill will be but the owner won't be paying it. Grrrrr!!!

We, as associations, ALL pour our heart and soul into protecting animals, we use immeasurable time and energy, but surely the person who calls us in should be footing the bill?

doreen
11-06-2011, 12:46

However, you have missed my point - why should this be the result? An association with limited funding footing the bill?

We, as associations, ALL pour our heart and soul into protecting animals, we use immeasurable time and energy, but surely the person who calls us in should be footing the bill?

I think it is a question of educating the public (as you are doing DJD) as to just how much it costs to look after an abandoned cat ... or as SuzyQ has pointed out, Live Arico's costs are a huge 10,000 euros a month when caring for their dogs.

I remember being saddened by the attitude on one discussion thread where in the case of one abandoned dog, a poster said - they must take it in, after all what do we give to their collections for ... imaging a few pence dropped into a tin on a bar counter gave them the right to pontificate.

Suej
11-06-2011, 13:31
Words seem to fall on deaf ears Doreen and the people who are doing the most to help and take care of these animals quite often get shot down in flames for their troubles! Show a few shocking photos on here of just a few of the unfortunate animals that might just drive the point home! :eek:

SuzyQ
11-06-2011, 14:03
Words seem to fall on deaf ears Doreen and the people who are doing the most to help and take care of these animals quite often get shot down in flames for their troubles! Show a few shocking photos on here of just a few of the unfortunate animals that might just drive the point home! :eek:

here we are then, the dog from this week, before and after. She is now at the clinic for the sixth day and getting better. If anyone would like to pay her vet care please let me know. Her owner certainly wont be doing so.......

sleepy
11-06-2011, 14:24

Why should they?I'd say that most calls you receive are probably from people who report an abandoned dog/cat/kitten.Nine times out of ten,they wont be the ones that abandoned the animal in the first place.They are reporting in good faith to you and other associations because you exist and they believe they are doing the right thing in getting the particular animal some help.it's the scum that mistreat/abandon them who should be footing the bill!

Suej
11-06-2011, 14:47
That just aint gonna happen though sleepy. The refuges and organisations have to rely on kind donations from the people that do care not the people that donīt! so many people give what they can but itīs just not enough.

SuzyQ
11-06-2011, 14:56
people are crafty too. They say they have found the animal and at times its so obvious that they are lying, but what can you do? Accuse them of lying? Sad times.

DJ Dangerous
11-06-2011, 17:29
Why should they?I'd say that most calls you receive are probably from people who report an abandoned dog/cat/kitten.Nine times out of ten,they wont be the ones that abandoned the animal in the first place.They are reporting in good faith to you and other associations because you exist and they believe they are doing the right thing in getting the particular animal some help.it's the scum that mistreat/abandon them who should be footing the bill!

The ones who do the abandoning, like Marmalade's owner a few months back, tend to remove themselves from the equation, leaving either the person who reports it, or the association who tries to help, to foot the bill.

So, for anybody who reports an animal to an association, they first need to ask themselves where the funding is coming from.

Suej
11-06-2011, 17:40
The ones who do the abandoning, like Marmalade's owner a few months back, tend to remove themselves from the equation, leaving either the person who reports it, or the association who tries to help, to foot the bill.

So, for anybody who reports an animal to an association, they first need to ask themselves where the funding is coming from.

Dave, Sorry if Iīve got this wrong but I donīt understand your comments are you saying people should only report an animal in danger if they are willing to pick up the tab? thatīs a big ask for someone that just wants to help an animal in trouble, lost or possibly injured.

DJ Dangerous
11-06-2011, 22:11
Dave, Sorry if Iīve got this wrong but I donīt understand your comments are you saying people should only report an animal in danger if they are willing to pick up the tab? thatīs a big ask for someone that just wants to help an animal in trouble, lost or possibly injured.

No, what I actually said was this:

However, asking this is not such "a big ask" as is asking somebody else to take the burden, be it an individual, an association or a foundation.

The association will likely have a fixed base cost, whether it's food bills, rent, whatever, and then have a fluid cost for whatever activities they wish to partake in.

If they have surplus cash, then great, but what if they don't?

Then THEY get bad publicity if they refuse the animal?

So do you think the responsibility should lie with an association instead, when the REAL culprit is out of the equation?

Where should the association get the money that they don't have, in that case?

Borrow it? Leave their animals go hungry? Skip a rent payment? Run up a higher vets bill?

The official procedure is to report lost or injured animal, and depending on the region, it either goes to a government funded pound, where it has something like 21 days before being killed (but I await correction on that), or a refuge which has an agreement with the town hall for that area.

There will be cases like the Port Royal dogs, where nobody seems responsible, and the dogs are to be left to starve while their file sits on a desk somewhere, or an email sits in an inbox somewhere.

Aside from cases like this, which are the exception, not the norm, why should the association have to try find the money?

SuzyQ
11-06-2011, 22:48
You're right DJ, yet we carry on finding that money, making it appear from nowhere, whatever. From LA's point of view, we always do it, I don't know how sometimes. Myself and Deb have stumped up our own money to buy food from time to time, in leiu of a benefit or something. The animals always get fed. It frustrates me so much when the problem is passed over so easily. We have all had rows on here on the free to a good home threads.
Someone actually posted on our facebook page that they knew someone with an 8 month old pit bull, the girlfriend was expecting, and if it couldn't be homed he was going to kill it himself....
You couldn't make it up.:wall::wall::wall::wall:

Suej
12-06-2011, 12:07
What the animal organisations need then is people giving donations on a regular basis something like 5€ a month. I for one would be happy to do that!:idea:

I donīt suppose it would be legal but wouldnīt if be great if members selling stuff on here would pay a small amount which could then go into a pot and be shared out to the Tenerife charities at the end of the year say. Just trying to think of ways of raising a few pennies. We could try the Bob Geldof approach and just shout give us your f*****g money!!! :poke::fryingpan:

SuzyQ
12-06-2011, 13:13
Ive been looking at ways of using the internet for making money Sue. We now have Amazon on our website, and excursions booked with Tenerife Sunshine through our website earn money. The Paypal button is also active. Someone told me you can set regular payments up via paypal so I need to look at that.
Speaking of Paypal, thanks to the forum member who made a donation of €25 towards the vet care cost of the pictured dog a few posts back, who was hit by a car. She knows who she is. Thank you so much. :)

with cheese
12-06-2011, 13:21
Easy Mods set up a place where people can set up a direct debit paying into a fund and then a commitee from the mods and a member from each of the charities agree to have a meet, all be it online, to agree what is paid where. This could also iron out some differences and bring the various warring factors closer together.
Or an independant commitee of members to agree.

Suej
12-06-2011, 13:26
Ive been looking at ways of using the internet for making money Sue. We now have Amazon on our website, and excursions booked with Tenerife Sunshine through our website earn money. The Paypal button is also active. Someone told me you can set regular payments up via paypal so I need to look at that.
Speaking of Paypal, thanks to the forum member who made a donation of €25 towards the vet care cost of the pictured dog a few posts back, who was hit by a car. She knows who she is. Thank you so much. :)

I think a few more of the "Shock" pics is a good idea Sue, so many people really have no idea of the horrors and neglect that the animals are subjected to on this Island.
Time is often difficult to give for so many people so I would urge people to make regular small donations to keep the animal welfare wheels in motion. Itīs a shame that the forum has yet to build up to what it was there are still not too many members but you have to start somewhere!

DJ Dangerous
12-06-2011, 14:02
What the animal organisations need then is people giving donations on a regular basis something like 5€ a month. I for one would be happy to do that!:idea:

Brilliant idea, Sue.

Remember this story??

Marmalade is a Beautiful Ginger Tom Cat, his owner has returned to the UK leaving him behind,:rage: someone has the key to her apartment and is feeding him but she has to give the keys back in a couple of days and then Marmalada will be out on the streets.:crying::sad: I dont have any room to take him in :( as I have a mum cat and her 10 day old kittens I took in last week and DJD is bursting at the seams with cats.:(
He is a truly lovely cat, very affectionate and always purring. :hk: He just wants a safe secure home of his own with an owner who loves him.:c9: He will have a permanent home eventually, but in the meantime is there anyone out there who could Foster him for one month.:confused: We dont know if he has been neutered, althought he certainly doesnt behave like an un neutered Tom cat. I will know for definate when the vets arrive next week, if he hasnt been nuetered he will be, as soon as the vets arrive. PLEASE is there someone out there who could find it in their heart to give this cat a chance?:) Thank you, Sharon.

Iīll give it my best shot to find him a good foster home Sharon, but not many takers as you know

Marmelade is ok test was negative.She is now at Reginaīs house.

Brief update:

The person who asked Cats Aid to help rehome Marmalade, and then left her in their vacant apartment and left the island, has today contacted me and said that the initial vets bill of €81 is nothing to do with them, and they have no intention of paying it.

Marmalade's next bill will be approx €50, which they have also said that they have no intention of paying.

I had met a family member of theirs who brought me to the apartment to collect her, and I was under the impression, obviously mistakenly, that they were going to pay their own bill - hence I had asked Hospivet to allow them a months credit, which of course, was no problem.

They believe that Marmalade and the costs for all of the things which were not done, are the responsibility of Cats Aid and MaDaT.

I find it very sad that in this day and age, people can take this attitude to pets.

The opportunity cost for Cats Aid (which is not a refuge, and is a program of activity) paying this €130 odd, is the castration of several street cats - and Cats Aid exists solely to carry this duty out.

Regina of MaDaT works incredibly hard to re-home as many cats and dogs as possible in Germany, and the costs of looking after Marmalade for the duration of her "quarantine" period will surely mount up - again, the opportunity cost for MaDaT is that of sending an animal to Germany.

Of course, Cats Aid will foot Marmalade's bill. There is no other option, as it was I who carried Marmalade into the vets and requested everything - she wasn't even in a carrier, as there hadn't been one left in the apartment for her - I simply had to carry her in my arms.

Not such a nice update, particularly when we are all on such a high at the moment with all of the good that we are doing with San Fransisco and their vets this week, but I guess it's a necessary update nonetheless.

In the meantime can we not together right this wrong...???
I have €20; (a pathetic small amount) towards the cost of Marmelades' vet bill.
With upwards of 20 000 forum members can we not cover this together, and at the same time leave some change for a worthy cause?

When the owner of Marmalade left the Island they left with me a large brandy bottle of coppers in change and asked me to donate it to Live Arico, when counted it totalled just over €25; which is all tubed up and ready for banking, after discussing this with the other parties involved with Live Arico we all agree it is only fair to pass this money on to Cats Aid to go towards their costs at the vets for Marmalades treatment so far........

This money will be passed on to DJD at the earliest opportunity. :)

Happy to match your €20; Tenerife Pool - good call

Me too where can I drop it on Thursday onwards....................Come on peeps doesn't have to be 20 euro 10's and 5's still help, or bigger.

DJD will you pm me your Paypal email address and I will donate to Marmalade.

Many thanks to everybody who has been in touch and offered to chip in towards Marmalade's bill - you are all wonderful!

Any money that spills over will go towards the Ginger Boy that we collected in Chayofita last week - an English couple flew back to the UK and left him roaming the complex.

:rage:

He will not meet such a happy fate as Marmalade, as his blood test for FeLV was positive, meaning that he is "unwanted".

You can only take in an FeLV positive cat if your own cats are vaccinated against FeLV, and I am yet to find somebody who wants a cat, and has their own vaccinated.

Marmalade's bill was paid today. :)

Thank you to all for your kind donations and pledges!

Good News!!:c1: Marmalade went to her new home in Germany last week.:heyhey:
Shes had a second chance, with the help of donations from Forum members :heyhey:
and no thanks to her previous owner.:liar::(

doreen
12-06-2011, 15:12
Easy Mods set up a place where people can set up a direct debit paying into a fund and then a commitee from the mods and a member from each of the charities agree to have a meet, all be it online, to agree what is paid where. This could also iron out some differences and bring the various warring factors closer together.
Or an independant commitee of members to agree.

Something very similar to this was discussed at a Mod get together last week ... just that it wouldn't be restricted to animal welfare, but humans too :)

SuzyQ
16-06-2011, 02:04
Just to say I paid the €25 donation off the vet bill for the dog in the piccie who was hit by a car, its actually a "he" called Tano, and he is doing well in Hospivet. I have asked for a breakdown of his costs, but they are hugely discounted bear in mind. As soon as I have the figures I will post here. And good news, Irene at the vets MIGHT have a home for him :)

YOUNG GOLFER
20-06-2011, 13:12
Not sure where to post this but just been left some money towards CATS so DJD when your around pop in.

Donation 1 from a German lady of 5€

Donation from a English lady in 10€

and lastly a tin full of change donated by a forum member 36.35

Total 51€.35cents.

Suej
20-06-2011, 13:27
Not sure where to post this but just been left some money towards CATS so DJD when your around pop in.

Donation 1 from a German lady of 5€

Donation from a English lady in 10€

and lastly a tin full of change donated by a forum member 36.35

Total 51€.35cents.

Brilliant! that can buy another two cat carriers!:jumping:

warmwind
23-06-2011, 16:21
Just want to say thanks to DJ for sorting out the castration of the stray cat that my friend found . She is now going to keep the cat. You are a star :)

DJ Dangerous
03-10-2014, 14:34
Bumping this for no reason other than to promote awareness...

We are all still in the same boat now as we were three years ago, too many stray and abandoned animals, not enough homes, not enough funding, not enough time...

There are still a lot of good people out there helping cats and dogs, be it independently or under one umbrella or another, and to all of those people, I tip my hat.