PDA

View Full Version : Rip off bar in Granadilla

kellyman
10-03-2012, 12:57
Just a warning to everyone to avoid the Cafeteria Villamar on Calle de Pedro Gonzalez Gomez in Granadilla.
We go up to Granadilla regularly and visit a few of the cafes and bars up there.
Yesterday we called in the Villamar and paid more than 50% more than on our previous visit.
It seems it has changed hands since the last time we were there and the new owner probably thought he would fleece a couple of tourists.
The previous owner was very friendly and made us very welcome. We would sit and chat to the locals who were actively improving my Spanish. Noticably there were no familiar faces yesterday. Maybe he has upset the locals too.
When I asked the girl for the bill he called her over and spoke to her. I think that was when the price went up.
It was more expensive than some of the seafront bars in Los Cristianos and it is only a little backstreet bar. Nothing fancy about it.
When family and friends come over we take them up to Granadilla because it is a nice place with very friendly people. I have told people who ask me about Granadilla to visit this and other bars.
I will now have to tell people to avoid this one. This is sad as it does not reflect well on the island. It is people like this man who give the island a bad name.
Usually it is 30% to 50% cheaper in Granadilla than on the coast.

9PLUS
10-03-2012, 14:31
Did you check the price list or receive a receipt?

kellyman
10-03-2012, 16:45
Did you check the price list or receive a receipt?
I glanced at a menu but there were no drink prices on it. I remember a hamburger with cheese costing €2 so the drinks should not have cost so much.
I didnīt get a receipt. Maybe I should have asked for one.
It is only a small bar and probably mainly frequented by locals.

warbey
10-03-2012, 21:43
One consolation is that He wont last long,
the Locals will see to that.!

chifleta
11-03-2012, 00:20
I think all bars have to have some sort of official price list somewhere on display.... OH has gone to bed, otherwise I would have asked him the name in Spanish... I seem to have gone braindead since i've been out of work LOL :doh: ... come on 9PLUS you usually have the answer when i'm being dumb :raspberry2:

kathml
11-03-2012, 00:29
Just a warning to everyone to avoid the Cafeteria Villamar on Calle de Pedro Gonzalez Gomez in Granadilla.
We go up to Granadilla regularly and visit a few of the cafes and bars up there.
Yesterday we called in the Villamar and paid more than 50% more than on our previous visit.
It seems it has changed hands since the last time we were there and the new owner probably thought he would fleece a couple of tourists.
The previous owner was very friendly and made us very welcome. We would sit and chat to the locals who were actively improving my Spanish. Noticably there were no familiar faces yesterday. Maybe he has upset the locals too.
When I asked the girl for the bill he called her over and spoke to her. I think that was when the price went up.
It was more expensive than some of the seafront bars in Los Cristianos and it is only a little backstreet bar. Nothing fancy about it.
When family and friends come over we take them up to Granadilla because it is a nice place with very friendly people. I have told people who ask me about Granadilla to visit this and other bars.
I will now have to tell people to avoid this one. This is sad as it does not reflect well on the island. It is people like this man who give the island a bad name.
Usually it is 30% to 50% cheaper in Granadilla than on the coast.

Well you have learned a lesson If price matters so much to you next time you go to a bar check the menu for the price

TenerifePool
11-03-2012, 00:45
I think all bars have to have some sort of official price list somewhere on display.... OH has gone to bed, otherwise I would have asked him the name in Spanish... I seem to have gone braindead since i've been out of work LOL :doh: ... come on 9PLUS you usually have the answer when i'm being dumb :raspberry2:

Lista de Precios...

lol

9PLUS
11-03-2012, 09:53

Lista de Precios...

lol

^ :tiphat:

One sided stories run along with general gossip i don't have much time for either.

The bar in question may of changed its pricing after new ownership as the old prices may have been the direct downfall of a non profitable business.

If these are the new prices then it's not a rip-off if they are providing that service/product

If the new pricing is too high for the place they'll more than likely shut down.

Service, Product & Location...........Very important to remember these 3 points.

You didn't know the prices because you didn't take the time to do so, so after naming and shaming that bar as a rip-off place you could well of entered into your own little catch 22.

You are right you maybe should of looked first.

I understand they could have moved the pricing up because you were tourists/ they thought they could get away withi it, it does happen but without justification :nono:

Presumption is a major human error

chifleta
11-03-2012, 12:16
^ :tiphat:

One sided stories run along with general gossip i don't have much time for either.

The bar in question may of changed its pricing after new ownership as the old prices may have been the direct downfall of a non profitable business.

If these are the new prices then it's not a rip-off if they are providing that service/product

If the new pricing is too high for the place they'll more than likely shut down.

Service, Product & Location...........Very important to remember these 3 points.

You didn't know the prices because you didn't take the time to do so, so after naming and shaming that bar as a rip-off place you could well of entered into your own little catch 22.

You are right you maybe should of looked first.

I understand they could have moved the pricing up because you were tourists/ they thought they could get away withi it, it does happen but without justification :nono:

Presumption is a major human error

It's so annoying when you make sense 9PLUS :crazy: .... and DOH yeah "lista de precios" thanks TenerifePool LMAO ... told you i've gone brain dead.... anyhoo, other half said the bars have the official price list that has "sello oficial de ministerio de turismo, mas el visto bueno de la oficina del C.I.T., mas el visto bueno del establecemiento" .... but yes, have to agree with the general opinion, I usually look at price list and/or check receipt and query if the prices seem high..... and unfortunately you're always going to get the ones who will try and rip you off because they think they can, especially when you don't learn the minimum Spanish..... like "?el reciboŋ por favor" hehehe

TOTO 99
11-03-2012, 12:40
The term " Rip Off" is a term which a lot of people wrongly use for something they thought would be cheaper.
The OP clearly sees it that way but in reality he might just have entered an expensive bar. He would only have been "ripped off" if he hadn't received an acceptable beverage for his payment. I think it was just bad luck and he knows not to go again as the prices don't suit him.

kellyman
11-03-2012, 13:44
It seems to be the general opininion that this sort of thing should just be accepted and forgotten. OK I didnīt look for the price, list but this is a bar I have visisted on many occasions and did not feel the need to. I only realised it had changed hands when I saw the new owner. We sat outside and were attended to outside. I only glanced at the menu in passing and the price of drinks was not on it. The price in itself was not a consideration, and I would not have felt slighted if I had felt that I was getting something more for my money than on the previous visit. The furniture and decor had changed not one iota. It was the fact that he stopped the girl from telling me what I needed to pay, called her over and spoke to her that made me think I was being charged a different price than I should have been. To just ignore this sort of thing is to encourage it. I do speak some spanish, but I find that if you question something you are not happy with, they say they cannot understand you.
My only reason for posting about this matter was in hoping that others would not use, what in my opinion is, if not a rip off, then an over priced bar.
As stated in my original post there are many similar bars in the area charging lower prices. I cannot see that this person has taken this bar over and raised the prices in competition with the other bars.

chifleta
11-03-2012, 13:58
It seems to be the general opininion that this sort of thing should just be accepted and forgotten.

Nope, I would have asked for the receipt (recibo) or the till ticket (el ticket) and would have pointed to the till if they didn't understand, along with a nice smile and a por favor.. then I would have pointed the the prices I wanted to query... and then if they were the prices, well I just wouldn't go back..... taxi drivers are another prime example of trying it on, and I don't accept that either, before I could speak Spanish i'd ask how much, more or less, from A to B before I got in the actual taxi....

kellyman
11-03-2012, 14:22
It seems to be the general opinion that this sort of thing should be accepted and forgotten. My original post was intended to warn other potential visitors to this bar from being taken in. They can visit numerous similar bars in Granadilla and pay the local price. The officious sounding 9plus may be able to come up with reasons for the price change, but I know when I am being ripped off.
OK so I didnīt go around the bar looking for the price list. This is a bar I visit quite often, and I did not feel the need to. I glanced at the menu in passing, which I may add is a typed sheet of paper, and the prices of drinks are not on it. We were sat outside and were attended to outside. This is not a classy bar and nothing had changed since our last visit. When I visit a bar the price in itself is not a consideration. The fact that the owner would not allow the barmaid to take our payment without speaking to her first is what allerted me to the possibility that I was being ripped off. The price was far more than on previous visits and far more than the surrounding bars that I visit. If the new owner of this bar has a new pricing policy, then I can only wish him luck.

macdonald5
11-03-2012, 14:57
[QUOTE=chifleta;153635]Nope, I would have asked for the receipt (recibo) or the till ticket (el ticket) and would have pointed to the till if they didn't understand, along with a nice smile and a por favor.. then I would have pointed the the prices I wanted to query... and then if they were the prices, well I just wouldn't go back.....

Sometimes best way is to vote with your feet (and money)
We had experience last year of two bars near Marina that changed prices for same drinks from €8 to €14 within days and same owners
Queried but no acceptable reason - so no longer frequent them

tracy hampshire
11-03-2012, 15:18
it would be interesting to know what you ordered & what the bill came to, here in puerto, where it still is very much local, you can pay anything from 50 cents to 3.50 for a glass of wine, depends where you go, even the spit and saw dust places can vary by a euro, maybe this bar has changed hands because his prices didn't meet his overheads, maybe the new owner has to pay more rent, & has different suppliers, if the owner before for example, bought wine from local growers by the gallon ( cheap but a bit hit & miss taste wise) & this guy buys good wine by the bottle then the cost will go up, same is to be said with spirits, local or gordons !!!!, you said you paid 2 euros for a burger, which seems reasonable to me, maybe it was the quality of the drinks you recieved which were better quality hence the price increase, it is not right to lay blame before you know the full facts .

warbey
11-03-2012, 20:03
I, as most Others understand what You are saying and the Point You are making.

Each of Us react differently.
I would have queried the Bill on the Spot, as its too late Later.
I have queried bills more than once and have always had a good response,
even though sometimes I was wrong....

Some bars I still visit, and, unlike the U.K. sometimes get a freebie to this Day.

Sorry You feel the way You do. I am suggesting some course of action to avoid a possible repeat Elsewhere.
as I am sure were others..

Andy0210
11-03-2012, 20:14
Would be interesting to know exactly what you ordered and exactly what you paid so we can all judge if we think you was overcharged, just because you paid more than last time it might still be reasonable, have you thought the last owner might have charged you less than the menu price as he knew you?

Loaded
11-03-2012, 20:40
Maybe they accidentally under charged you last time????

9PLUS
11-03-2012, 23:09
No substanance so far

I need facts

If not it's just the OP's opinion and maybe a price change in a bar thats recently changed ownership

We should vote this place in for the next funny forum meet up