PDA

View Full Version : Can I bring a UK registered car to Tenerife, long term.

Tenerife Blade
10-03-2012, 21:13
My Dad has an old soft top that he no longer wants. He is going to sell it, but is thinking of selling it to me cheap. Is it possible for me to drive it over here, and keep it on UK plates for 6 months?

I intend to keep the registry in his name, if that's possible, as I've been told that import tax is payable if the car hasn't been owned for at least 6 months.

I was thinking of driving it over as a bit of a holiday, keeping it here for 6 months, and then driving it back.

I know the approximate costs of fuel, ferry crossings, accommodation etc, but was wondering if any of you guys can tell me if it's a feasible option to bring it over. Am I allowed to keep it registered in his name? Can I just add myself to his insurance? Do I have to matriculate it over here if it's only going to be here for six months?

I know it's not a cheap thing to do to bring it over, but the opportunity to drive through France and Spain and then have it over here for a few months appeals to me. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Just an afterthought, but I hold a Spanish driving licence. I don't know whether this would make a difference either way.

Greg
10-03-2012, 22:02
Hi Tenerife Blade, it is a nice fun drive to here I'm sure you would enjoy it, fortunately you can keep it in your dads name but unfortunately you can only keep it here for three months this law changed a while ago. If the car is right hand drive you can no longer put it on Spanish plates.However there are quite a few cars that have been here for a while that are still on UK plates. If you pm me I will send you the number of the person who sorted out the paperwork for the car I brought over last year. She is very knowledgeable and will be able to answer any questions you have.

atlantico
10-03-2012, 23:19
i was told it was 6 months

Tenerife Blade
10-03-2012, 23:26
Hi Tenerife Blade, it is a nice fun drive to here I'm sure you would enjoy it, fortunately you can keep it in your dads name but unfortunately you can only keep it here for three months this law changed a while ago. If the car is right hand drive you can no longer put it on Spanish plates.However there are quite a few cars that have been here for a while that are still on UK plates. If you pm me I will send you the number of the person who sorted out the paperwork for the car I brought over last year. She is very knowledgeable and will be able to answer any questions you have.

Thanks Greg, PM sent.

Ashro Autos
11-03-2012, 03:20
It is still possible to put right hand drive cars on spanish plates.We are matriculating a couple at the moment.Your problem you might find if your car should get grua'd you may have problems with it not being in your name.

Tenerife Blade
11-03-2012, 14:19
It is still possible to put right hand drive cars on spanish plates.We are matriculating a couple at the moment.Your problem you might find if your car should get grua'd you may have problems with it not being in your name.

Thanks mate. If I decide to go ahead with it, could I matriculate it and put it in my name straight away without incurring any sort of import duty. If so, can you give me a rough idea of the cost of matriculation.

It's not something I was considering, but it might be worth looking in to as an alternative to taking it back to the UK in 6 months.

PS. Do you wanna buy a Seat Inca Van? :cheeky:

Tom & Sharon
11-03-2012, 16:02
If it's only 3 months, what about the swallows who drive over for the winter.

Are you sure?

Mind you, there's that many English plates knocking about, and they've been here years, and no-one seems to bother.

Ashro Autos
11-03-2012, 16:34
Blade send me a copy of V5 for car and will get quote sorted.Whats wrong with inca and how much ?PM me

If it's only 3 months, what about the swallows who drive over for the winter.

Are you sure?

Mind you, there's that many English plates knocking about, and they've been here years, and no-one seems to bother.

All the foreign plated cars are being targeted at the minute as they are paying no tax and a lot of them have no safety test on them.Easy targets and more money

Tenerife Blade
12-05-2012, 13:17
Blade send me a copy of V5 for car and will get quote sorted.

Just bumping this as I'm flying back in 2 weeks to have a look at the condition of the car. Sorry Ashro, but you know how stupid I am. What's a V5?

My Dad is confined to his house, so I won't be able to access any paperwork until I get over there. If I gave you approx details of the car, could you give me an approx price to matriculate it, including adapting it to drive over here, i.e, new lights etc.

I can PM you the details if you prefer mate.

Greg
16-05-2012, 13:49
so during the 12 years the car has been here do you get it ITV'd every year? If you are driving the car with no safety test and you are pulled over for any reason the car will be impounded. Only the owner will be able to remove it from the impound and as it has no safety test it will have to travel by grua to a private property while you make arrangements for an ITV test.

Tenerife Blade
16-05-2012, 22:14
From what I'm reading, am I right in thinking that the best way to get it matriculated in my name would be to register the car in my name in the UK, then bring it over here and get it matriculated???

Satellite, are you saying that I can leave it in my Dads name, and keep it over here legally with ITV, and Spanish paperwork providing I get UK insurance. Sorry mate, but I'm not the brightest person in the world, and need everything explaining in laymans terms.

Also, can anyone give me a ball park figure to get it matriculated?

Thanks in advance.

Ashro Autos
16-05-2012, 22:48
Send us a copy of the V5 and we will give you a quote for matriculation

Tenerife Blade
17-05-2012, 07:55
Send us a copy of the V5 and we will give you a quote for matriculation

Mark, I dont know what a V5 is, but if it's paperwork, I won't be able to get it until I'm in the UK. Can you give me an estimate if I message you brief details of the car mate?

karinagal
18-05-2012, 22:33
Mark, I dont know what a V5 is, but if it's paperwork, I won't be able to get it until I'm in the UK. Can you give me an estimate if I message you brief details of the car mate?

The V5 is the registration document - it shows the details of the car and the name of the registered keeper. Recently changed from a blue form to a red form..

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Tenerife Blade
21-05-2012, 07:02
Thanks Karinagal. From what I can gather, a ball park figure to get everything legally sorted and matriculated is going to cost about €800. I wont be able to get my hands on the V5 until i get to the UK, but can anyone confirm if this figure sounds about right. Is it worked out on value, age, size of engine? Or is it a set figure?To anyone that may be able to help, here's a brief description:
Peugeot 306 cabriolet. 2 litre automatic. Electric sun roof. Petrol engine. Year 1999.
The thing is, i've only got a couple of days to get it up and going before I head to London, and i dont want to spend a few hundred quid getting it serviced, m.o.t'd, insured etc if its going to cost a fortune to get it matriculated.
Decisions, decisions.