PDA

View Full Version : Tablets (in particular iPads)-to have or not?

timmylish
12-03-2012, 23:54
Seems like a simple question but then you start to ask. What would I do with it. What would I use it for. What advantages may it provide me. What does it do which, with 2 computers at home, I or it cannot do at present?
For over one year i was constantly dropping hints about getting a tablet, as some on here will be able to confirm, but recently I,ve rather lost some interest. Lo and behold, for 2 weeks now I,ve been bombarded by madam on the subject matter of this thread.

So, just what do YOU use an iPad, in particular, or another Tablet for. Really seeking work/business sort of info. tbh! Notwithstanding, please, all on here who do own such a device, can you tell me what you use it for. If its a bit personal then just pm me.

Added after 2 minutes:

It would help us if you could also mention size and wi-fi only or not. Many thanks.

CIM
12-03-2012, 23:58
I have been thinking about getting one for work and looked into it when you were last discussing in but since then haven't found time to actually decide upon one!.
I like Android and really dont like IOS so wouldn't be going for an Ipad- I was looking at the Galaxy Tab last time. Will probably wait until after the summer and see what comes out for the Xmas season before I get one.

no.job.2.small
13-03-2012, 00:09
Ive had an Asus Transformer since last August and dont turn our desktop pc on anymore ! Really wouldnt be without it, been looking to buy another cas the misses cant get her hands on this one !

seanocelt
13-03-2012, 00:48
So, as Tim asks, whats good about them, compared to say a laptop, or i Phone? I would like to be sold on the benefits too.

slodgedad
13-03-2012, 00:50
So, as Tim asks, whats good about them, compared to say a laptop, or i Phone? I would like to be sold on the benefits too.

Me too....

seanocelt
13-03-2012, 02:06
Like does it make good toast? To me a tablet is for hangovers. Or "tablet" is a sugary confectionery product (in Scotland anyway). But im really keen to know what to to buy when my laptop dies. Scared to get an iphone-in case i lose it, no idea if a tablet can do all the things a laptop does.

slodgedad
13-03-2012, 02:22
Like does it make good toast? To me a tablet is for hangovers. Or "tablet" is a sugary confectionery product (in Scotland anyway). But im really keen to know what to to buy when my laptop dies. Scared to get an iphone-in case i lose it, no idea if a tablet can do all the things a laptop does.

Agree, Sean. We've all read the propaganda but the best info comes from hands on users.

poker
13-03-2012, 07:46
I have my Galaxy tab (7inch vodafone) now over a year and am very happy with it.
Also have 2 computers at home but rairly use them now , just for more complicated work or printing.
Big advantages are , you can use it on the go anywere , its aleays ready and switcht on in a second .
You can use it in bed as a bookreader , forum with tapatalk . . . .

Sent using Tapatalk.

Vortex Wake
13-03-2012, 09:01
Use it in the loo ( ;) ) , watch TV on it in the bath , always 'on' email , messaging ,Skype ............... Google something instantly . Wifi radio around the home etc etc.

95 % of my internet usage is via smartphone - the laptop only gets turned on for video/picture editing/long emails i.e. better keyboard.

macdonald5
13-03-2012, 09:42
Took me some time to decide if I needed an IPad , already have a PC and laptop.Bought middle cost IPad (approx £399) and use it every day
Portability is main advantage, can sit here on sofa or move around house and use also take it and use when in Tenerife or other holidays.
Only measured approx 10 x 7 inches and very lightweight
I use it for emails, web searches and web purchases also do one line banking so handy on holiday to keep track of credit card and bank situation
Has a camera so handy for attaching instant snaps to emails
Now find only use laptop to download cd's for IPods and PC for Printing
letters etc or Excel spreadsheets
IPad also good for downloading books to read on plane or elsewhere
Yes I can only see everything advantageous about my IPad !!
I would certainly miss my IPad more than my laptop

Added after 24 minutes:

Took me some time to decide if I needed an IPad , already have a PC and laptop.Bought middle cost IPad (approx £399) and use it every day
Portability is main advantage, can sit here on sofa or move around house and use also take it and use when in Tenerife or other holidays.
I use it for emails, web searches and web purchases also do one line banking so handy on holiday to keep track of credit card and bank situation

karinagal
13-03-2012, 11:34
I had this very same dilemma just before Christmas. I looked at various tablet devices taking into account the size of the unit, amount of memory, was the memory expandable etc. Hubby has the original Samsung Galaxy Tab so I was looking at the newer models of this one. I also looked at the variety of apps available and their price.

After due consideration - and taking into account that hubby's tab seems to lock/freeze frequently - I gave into the beauty and allure of the iPad. I'm using the 64g wifi/3G iPad. I have an office app so have been using it for doing work on a diploma that I'm studying for. I also use it for all my web surfing, email, banking etc - the last time I opened my laptop was the 1st of February!! I have a wifi printer and can print from the iPad using air print. The Apple apps are cheaper than the equivalent on android market. 2 of my sisters-in-law have bought iPads recently and they have gone for wifi only as they tether it to their phones for Internet on the go.

The one major drawback of the Apple devices is the lack of flash video capability. However, I haven't found that much online that I really wanted or needed to see and if I do, there's always the laptop.....!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had this very same dilemma just before Christmas. I looked at various tablet devices taking into account the size of the unit, amount of memory, was the memory expandable etc. Hubby has the original Samsung Galaxy Tab so I was looking at the newer models of this one. I also looked at the variety of apps available and their price.

After due consideration - and taking into account that hubby's tab seems to lock/freeze frequently - I gave into the beauty and allure of the iPad. I'm using the 64g wifi/3G iPad. I have an office app so have been using it for doing work on a diploma that I'm studying for. I also use it for all my web surfing, email, banking etc - the last time I opened my laptop was the 1st of February!! I have a wifi printer and can print from the iPad using air print. The Apple apps are cheaper than the equivalent on android market. 2 of my sisters-in-law have bought iPads recently and they have gone for wifi only as they tether it to their phones for Internet on the go. I meant to add that I use it in conjunction with my Kobo ereader when I'm on holiday. I have the same books on both - I use the Kobo on my terrace when the sun is bright and use the iPad when indoors as it is backlit..

The one major drawback of the Apple devices is the lack of flash video capability. However, I haven't found that much online that I really wanted or needed to see and if I do, there's always the laptop.....!

seanocelt
13-03-2012, 12:54
Use it in the loo ( ;) ) , watch TV on it in the bath , always 'on' email , messaging ,Skype ............... Google something instantly . Wifi radio around the home etc etc.

95 % of my internet usage is via smartphone - the laptop only gets turned on for video/picture editing/long emails i.e. better keyboard.

VW you are always in the know about tech stuff; if you were to buy a new tablet tomorrow what would you go for, or would you get an iphone?

TOTO 99
13-03-2012, 13:26
VW you are always in the know about tech stuff; if you were to buy a new tablet tomorrow what would you go for, or would you get an iphone?

Obviously still in the loo Sean...:lol:

chifleta
13-03-2012, 15:49
Quote Originally Posted by seanocelt View Post
Me too.... ...

Me three :D ...... personally i've got a mind to get one because:

1. sometimes I want to check something online without having to turn my home PC on.
2. I don't really want an android mobile (or whatever they're called) as I find the screens too small if I haven't got my reading glasses with me
3. I thought it would be handy for when i'm travelling on my own to UK etc instead of just listening to my mp3.

but I want cheap as possible.... so any ideas to type and price and how easy to purchase here in Tenerife would be great..... glad you posted this thread :c2:

Megaloo
13-03-2012, 16:19

Added after 24 minutes:

I second this so versatile and has so many uses, I have books downloaded Music and use it for coming on here and my e-mails. Can sit in comfort anywhere in the house it is so light to carry for travelling.
I only have WIFI not particularly by choice as it was a present (one of the best presents ever) but it serves my purpose as there are so many places now with Wifi anyway.

timmylish
13-03-2012, 16:26
Now this is a start, so far as I,m concerned. Mrs. T. uses Microsoft Word and excel, whilst at home, so being able to do something similar might be quite important. I realise that being Microsoft, different apps. would be needed. Am I correct? I do hope that more users come onto this thread as it is clear to me that \i am not alone in being undecided. For the moment the most important thing is :to have or not to have: not the particular brand. Furthermore I need to know the advantages, if any, in having the 3G/4G versions. I say that as a resident, not leaving the Island. Would \i be correct in saying that there are few and far between Wi-Fi locations here? If I,m correct I would then need advice on having a contract (not really desireable as we have enough phones!) or is it just as easy to have PAYG sort of chip/card? So the 3/4G or not is gonna be really important. Not from the money side as after all if the Wi-Fi only units are affordable I would have thought the other is!
So I look forward to hearing from owners. Come on and open up. There is a demand for your advices. NOW.
I should add that I,ve read all the reviews, professional opinions but insufficient owners reviews.

fesdie
13-03-2012, 16:29
Seems like a simple question but then you start to ask. What would I do with it. What would I use it for. What advantages may it provide me. What does it do which, with 2 computers at home, I or it cannot do at present?
For over one year i was constantly dropping hints about getting a tablet, as some on here will be able to confirm, but recently I,ve rather lost some interest. Lo and behold, for 2 weeks now I,ve been bombarded by madam on the subject matter of this thread.

So, just what do YOU use an iPad, in particular, or another Tablet for. Really seeking work/business sort of info. tbh! Notwithstanding, please, all on here who do own such a device, can you tell me what you use it for. If its a bit personal then just pm me.

Added after 2 minutes:

It would help us if you could also mention size and wi-fi only or not. Many thanks.

I got an iPad 2 last year when my home laptop died. I knew that I would still have my work laptop for doing any spreadsheets, documents etc so I have not used my iPad for any work stuff.

I totally love the iPad because it is is so portable and easy to use.
I do have an iPhone but find the screen too small for Internet use and if I need to read attachments from emails.
I mainly use it for surfing the net, banking, emailing, downloading and reading books, downloading and listening to music.
It's worth mentioning that if you have an iPhone you can stream all your devices using iCloud so whatever I download to one device then automatically downloads to all our other devices which saves a lot of time, (obviously only useful if you have other apple devices)

My son would live on it if allowed and loves to watch DVDs or play games on it because the key board and controls are very easy to use.
The apps you can get are great too, I have downloaded some really useful learning ones for my son.
One benefit too of the 3G model is that if you find yourself without a signal for whatever reason you can create a hotspot if you have an iPhone.

For me I would only use this as an addition to my laptop but you can download software to enable you to use any programmes you need and also connect it wirelessly to a compatible printer.

There is also a apple device that you can get to connect your iPad to your tv so if you want to show your photos to a few people at once or watch a film you have downloaded etc

I wouldn't be without it now.

cainaries
13-03-2012, 16:41
Different question which is not worth starting a whole thread for so I hope you'll forgive me. There are places here on La Palma with no broadband connection. From reading a couple of posts on here, would it be possible then to get an i-phone plus an i-pad and then connect the two in some way so that you have email access etc?

This isn't for me but it would be very useful to know for several friends who are still on dial-up (imagine!)

timmylish
13-03-2012, 23:42
Different question which is not worth starting a whole thread for so I hope you'll forgive me. There are places here on La Palma with no broadband connection. From reading a couple of posts on here, would it be possible then to get an i-phone plus an i-pad and then connect the two in some way so that you have email access etc?

This isn't for me but it would be very useful to know for several friends who are still on dial-up (imagine!)

Why would you need both? An iPad with the 3G built in just accesses the internet via that method without the need for a further machine of any kind, or am I missing something? Otherwise, why the need for 2 versions?

Added after 2 minutes:

Without thanking you all individually, thanks to those who have contributed and I hope there is more to come. I know for a fact that 2 members who come on regularly and have bought iPads have not answered my points. Come on guys. More info, please 'cause its not just for me.

atlantico
14-03-2012, 00:52
everyone's getting a bit confused here . . . a tablet PC or Ipad is totally different from a PC . . . . the trouble is that most people can't tell the difference. A tablet or PC is a mobile internet gadget with a little bit of computing power, if all you want/need is internet, then a tablet is fine. BUT, when it comes to proper PC usage ONLY a PC can cope. I sell tablets at wholesale, and after months of usage, i've come to the conclusion that they are (at present) a short lived gimmick. (from business point of view, they're great, sold 2,000 in 3 months ! ) BUT the real tablet PC will be out this year . . . . . A Microsoft one, a tablet that you CAN do everything on that you can on your laptop. SO, if you just want to access the internet, a forum or two and your email, play a few silly games, ebay is good on Android, buy one ! But you'll never get rid of your PC/Laptop.

If anyone wants to try it out, I have 5 x Eken 7" M009F 1000Mhz, 4GB tablets left that i'll bring home from UK with me on this Thursday at €50 each, WiFi only, not 3G etc.

karinagal
14-03-2012, 01:24

If you have a smartphone with 3G Internet access, you can usually set it up to allow the iPad or other tablet device to access the Internet through it. For example, my iPhone allows me to set up a 'personal hot spot' which means that other devices can detect my signal the same way you would search for a normal wifi signal. Using the password supplied, they can then connect securely and access the Internet.

9PLUS
14-03-2012, 08:43
I've just released a tablet more powerful than all the others put together

Ladies & Gentlemen..............................The iPfft

cheers

x

Vortex Wake
14-03-2012, 08:55
iDear .........

Balcony
14-03-2012, 09:29
I got fed up lugging my laptop to and from Tenerife (or any other place) so am thinking about the new Ipad, so will be popping to the Apple shop soon to have a look. But I'm worried whether you can actually do anything real and practical with it. I need things like Office, Photoshop etc.

My experience of 'apps' on my so-called Smartphone leaves a lot to be desired and I'd hate to spend money on something that simply runs glorified apps.

Vortex Wake
14-03-2012, 09:50
I got fed up lugging my laptop to and from Tenerife (or any other place) so am thinking about the new Ipad, so will be popping to the Apple shop soon to have a look. But I'm worried whether you can actually do anything real and practical with it. I need things like Office, Photoshop etc.

My experience of 'apps' on my so-called Smartphone leaves a lot to be desired and I'd hate to spend money on something that simply runs glorified apps.

My smaller laptop is less than 1kg in weight so fits on a bum bag (ideal for flying with).

Look at getting a small fully featured laptop with vga / hdmi out to TV monitor - you really will find that editing / creating is far easier than a tablet . As you already know of apps via smartphone, I'd say you already know the limitations.

Simon-M
14-03-2012, 10:06
You could buy an ipad and then connect to your PC back in the UK via splashtop streamer (an ipad app). I've done this and although it takes a bit of getting used to it works well. You then have access to everything on your PC without having to take it with you.

Of course you will need to keep your home PC online and powered on.

karinagal
14-03-2012, 12:07

I use Office HD on my iPad and it handles word, spreadsheets and presentations. It cost me £6.99. Apple have also released an app called iPhoto which I believe might be similar to photoshop. If you go the Apple store online, there is a video of the new iPad with info on iPhoto...

timmylish
14-03-2012, 12:52
But still no answer to my question namely, if you have the 3/4g iPad you don,t need a phone to get internet access when no wi-fi signal is available, do you? The chip, PAYG/contract does this for you. Yes or No?

karinagal
14-03-2012, 13:32
But still no answer to my question namely, if you have the 3/4g iPad you don,t need a phone to get internet access when no wi-fi signal is available, do you? The chip, PAYG/contract does this for you. Yes or No?

As I'm in the UK, I have a 3G iPad and have a monthly contract with 3 so I have Internet access wherever I go....!

Balcony
14-03-2012, 17:47
Can't be definative, but I'd imagine as K says you'd have to take out a contract with someone to gain actual internet access.

BobMac
14-03-2012, 18:49

If you have a 3/4G iPad, then all you need for internet access is a sim card from a mobile provider who's signal will be available in Tenerife.

cainaries
14-03-2012, 19:14
How ironical is this ... I was just reading this thread when my laptop crashed (again). Thanks for starting the thread, timmylish, I think events are about to be taken out of my hands.

BobMac
14-03-2012, 21:44
Can't be definative, but I'd imagine as K says you'd have to take out a contract with someone to gain actual internet access.

You don't need to take out a contract - you can run them on a Pay As You Go basis

karinagal
14-03-2012, 22:00
You don't need to take out a contract - you can run them on a Pay As You Go basis

That's true, you definitely can. Mine is on a 1 month rolling contract so I can cancel it at any time by giving 1 months notice.

CIM
14-03-2012, 23:51
My other half has now decided she wants one of these...
Thinking about it her laptop is nearly 3 years old and too heavy to travel with (when you have a baby in tow) so it would be useful as she has a long international trip coming up. Main requirements:
Good battery life
Durability
Must be able to read Mpeg 4 video of a USB memory stick
Wifi capable

I noticed the Ipad 3 is due out soon but this for me is just a (somewhat useful) gimmicky gadget - theres no way I want to fork out more than her laptop cost for a friggin tablet! And the prices are around £650 for an Ipad 3 which seems incredibly expensive. I´d pay that and a lot more for a tower but not for a tablet.
Open to suggestions as I´ll be buying something between now and May I think.

karinagal
15-03-2012, 00:16
My other half has now decided she wants one of these...
Thinking about it her laptop is nearly 3 years old and too heavy to travel with (when you have a baby in tow) so it would be useful as she has a long international trip coming up. Main requirements:
Good battery life
Durability
Must be able to read Mpeg 4 video of a USB memory stick
Wifi capable

I noticed the Ipad 3 is due out soon but this for me is just a (somewhat useful) gimmicky gadget - theres no way I want to fork out more than her laptop cost for a friggin tablet! And the prices are around £650 for an Ipad 3 which seems incredibly expensive. I´d pay that and a lot more for a tower but not for a tablet.
Open to suggestions as I´ll be buying something between now and May I think.

The new iPad starts at £399 for one with wifi only and you can now get the iPad 2 starting at £329. It doesn't have a USB input on it but films can be loaded via your iTunes account. You can buy adapters that allow you to upload some content from sd cards but I'm not sure if this is limited to photos..

There are plenty of tablet devices out there that are probably more suited to your needs but the feedback I've had from my hubby whose tablet uses the android operating system is less than favourable....

CIM
15-03-2012, 00:37
I think the lack of USB port is a bit of a deal breaker as I can pack her off with 32GB of movies, music etc in addition to on board memory and thats really important for her.
Shame Ipads seem so "ringfenced" - really puts me off. Same with Iphones as well.

karinagal
15-03-2012, 01:13
I think the lack of USB port is a bit of a deal breaker as I can pack her off with 32GB of movies, music etc in addition to on board memory and thats really important for her.
Shame Ipads seem so "ringfenced" - really puts me off. Same with Iphones as well.

You can get a 64gb iPad 2 wifi for £479 from Tesco.... I'm coming over next week ..... !

seanocelt
15-03-2012, 12:57
Apple really are great at making you NOT get alll the things you want in one device. Smart.

Balcony
15-03-2012, 13:46
I was watching a US review of the new Ipad on Yahoo USA. Look for the small strip of photo-news and the one referenced to Microshort shortcuts. Select that and there is a further strip of video-news clips including a reviewed on the new Ipad.

I think I may get myself one of the thinnner ultrabook laptops.

Vortex Wake
15-03-2012, 14:24
Can you print documents and pictures from an iPad / phone / touch if you DON'T have a modern networked HP printer ? ;)

karinagal
15-03-2012, 15:43
Can you print documents and pictures from an iPad / phone / touch if you DON'T have a modern networked HP printer ? ;)

Probably not, but can you print direct from ANY tablet?

Vortex Wake
15-03-2012, 15:58
Probably not, but can you print direct from ANY tablet?

Yes , if its has Bluetooth , or a USB port , or an sd card slot etc :)

casabonny
15-03-2012, 16:21
We bought my daughter one last year for her birthday and ( apart form a kiddies kitchen which she had when she was 2/3) this is the best present she has ever had, her words not mine.She uses it for surfing the net, checking e mails, banking, taking photos, music and uses it when shes away from the office and has work to do , whilst waiting (where possible ) with clients at hospitals etc so for her its a real bonus.It never seems to be out of her hands and she is always finding something new to use /download .
As the new ipad 3 is due out she is looking at that with a view to upgrading as she loves it so much.I have heard that 4 g will not work in Europe but 3 g is fine.
My opinion, its lightweight, versitile and much more comfortable to use than a laptop.No body that we know who has one would be without it and many looked at others before buying and have been more than pleased with thier i pads.

karinagal
15-03-2012, 20:04
Yes , if its has Bluetooth , or a USB port , or an sd card slot etc :)

iPads have Bluetooth, and you can get a sd card reader attachment....

Vortex Wake
15-03-2012, 21:23
But you can't Bluetooth to printers with a iPad.

karinagal
15-03-2012, 21:26
But you can't Bluetooth to printers with a iPad.

Never had a reason to try so,will concede that one! :p

Vortex Wake
15-03-2012, 21:58
My iPod touch running iOS 5 can't ;)

So in reality - my 5 year old Nokia N95 has more print options (Usb , Bluetooth , infrared, Sd card ) than an iPad :)

timmylish
16-03-2012, 04:00
Aye, all very well but, certainly from our point of view, and probably that of most people considering purchasing an iPad, the ability to print may be well down the list of "must do,s"! 6 months ago I was all set against anything Apple but I have to say, speaking to so many people who have bought an iPad BEFORE having bought an Apple product, I have almost been converted. I,m reading so much info on the damned thing at the moment (on behalf of Mrs. T. of course) that I feel she is in the market just cannot, finally decide on the precise unit. For sure it,ll be a black one!

Ecky Thump
16-03-2012, 09:16
Never had a reason to try so,will concede that one! :p

Never concede when you can win, my son prints from his ipad using a app available I think from from Apple.;)

Please note the word "Think":goodluck:

Vortex Wake
16-03-2012, 09:51
Aye, all very well but, certainly from our point of view, and probably that of most people considering purchasing an iPad, the ability to print may be well down the list of "must do,s"! 6 months ago I was all set against anything Apple but I have to say, speaking to so many people who have bought an iPad BEFORE having bought an Apple product, I have almost been converted. I,m reading so much info on the damned thing at the moment (on behalf of Mrs. T. of course) that I feel she is in the market just cannot, finally decide on the precise unit. For sure it,ll be a black one!

Apple placed printing as a 'must do' when it enabled this option in an iOS update a year back - however , since it only works with newer HP printers , I assume it was for commercial reasons i.e. Apple users having to buy HP printers. I found that out when my new HP printer did NOT work with my iPod Touch .

That said Timmy , I'd still recommend you get an iPad . You have deliberated so long on the subject - it seems clear that the finer points about iPads verses other tablets are not of importance to you :)

karinagal
16-03-2012, 10:51
Never concede when you can win, my son prints from his ipad using a app available I think from from Apple.;)

Please note the word "Think":goodluck:

You CAN print from an iPad but what VW is saying is that it has to be a networked printer so that Air Print can access and use it. I can also email my printer from anywhere in the world with Internet access!

Karina
:D :p :D

Beachwatcher
20-03-2012, 10:23
I love mine. Use it sat on sofa one eye on tv..to check emails surf away use the messenger app to others on iPad ..read kindle ..oh so much!!!..I could not be without it. Have got the apple 32 gb wifi model. 16 is too small.. We have two pcs here in uk and one in our apt in Callao salvaje but I use the iPad more..connect it to wifi here and wifi hot spot cafes over there..WARNING once u have one your always on it! My husband got fed up so have bought him a Samsung galaxy s wifi 5... Is an mp3 player really but he uses it to do everything I do on smaller screen as he wanted it more to pop in his pocket and use the GPS on travelling round..you won't regret buying one ...
Don't bother with the 3G as too expensive over in TFS..there's no pay,ent on the Samsung either..works same way on wifi connection here in our Apt in uk. Sorry if this is bit bitty. My first venture onto TF and unsure how to do it..look on amazon too at what people say..if u get an iPad u will need the cover to protect it..don't get apple one..look at the snugg..also on amazon..brilliant for cheaper and does more than apple one

Added after 2 minutes:

timmylish
20-03-2012, 12:42
I love mine. Use it sat on sofa one eye on tv..to check emails surf away use the messenger app to others on iPad ..read kindle ..oh so much!!!..I could not be without it. Have got the apple 32 gb wifi model. 16 is too small.. We have two pcs here in uk and one in our apt in Callao salvaje but I use the iPad more..connect it to wifi here and wifi hot spot cafes over there..WARNING once u have one your always on it! My husband got fed up so have bought him a Samsung galaxy s wifi 5... Is an mp3 player really but he uses it to do everything I do on smaller screen as he wanted it more to pop in his pocket and use the GPS on travelling round..you won't regret buying one ...
Don't bother with the 3G as too expensive over in TFS..there's no pay,ent on the Samsung either..works same way on wifi connection here in our Apt in uk. Sorry if this is bit bitty. My first venture onto TF and unsure how to do it..look on amazon too at what people say..if u get an iPad u will need the cover to protect it..don't get apple one..look at the snugg..also on amazon..brilliant for cheaper and does more than apple one

Well, first of all I take this opportunity of welcoming you on here for the first time. Please try to stay with us you,ll find this place a a beacon of light in doing any research on my wonderful home Island.
Your posting, is indeed, very helpful, certainly to me! Interesting what you say regarding the lack of necessity for 3G ones here as this is the main point of contention. I think we should have and Mrs. T. reckons no. I suppose its personal as I feel I would be less likely to use it as opposed to Mrs. T. that is unless I am in hospital all day. As far as I know there is no Wi-Fi up at Candelaria hospital and that,s why I say that. Anyway, as most will know. It matters little what I think I bow to a greater mind!

sleepy
20-03-2012, 16:23
I recently bought an Android tablet(only a cheapo just to see what it could do)and am delighted with it.My only advice would be,make sure the one you go for has at least 500MB of ram.Most of the earlier models have 250MB's and although they will run reasonably well,once a few programs are running they slow down considerably.The other thing to bare in mind is,it doesn't matter how large they say the physical hard disk/memory is,some of the earlier Android OS's are limited in just how many apps can be added.It seems there is or was a separate storage area for this and once it has been filled that's that.Having said that,most apps nowadays can be moved to sd card(sd card being the term used for internal storage).

I've had no dealings with an Apple ipad.I have never been keen on the idea of being forced to use itunes.Having said that,I did bite the bullet,did a complete u turn and bought an ipod 4 Touch which is just brilliant so I can well imagine how good the new generation ipad is.The build quality of any Apple product is superb.

Beachwatcher
20-03-2012, 20:38
Well, first of all I take this opportunity of welcoming you on here for the first time. Please try to stay with us you,ll find this place a a beacon of light in doing any research on my wonderful home Island.
Your posting, is indeed, very helpful, certainly to me! Interesting what you say regarding the lack of necessity for 3G ones here as this is the main point of contention. I think we should have and Mrs. T. reckons no. I suppose its personal as I feel I would be less likely to use it as opposed to Mrs. T. that is unless I am in hospital all day. As far as I know there is no Wi-Fi up at Candelaria hospital and that,s why I say that. Anyway, as most will know. It matters little what I think I bow to a greater mind!

Well thanks! Must admit its easier talking to u than trying to find out how I can get brilliant wifi in our apt in Callao salvaje Nd how the new beach is doing or not as the case maybe....

Well the thing is with 3G is the expense...my son lives in london...has the 3G one but only uses it when he is out of wifi Area,,say filming on a beach..he is in the media so does that kind of thing!... Them switches it off most of the time as he is either at work using theirs or at home using his wifi in Internet cafes etc. of which there are plenty...or here when he logs o to our sky wifi
So he did not recommend me getting that,,,I think he has a pay as u go £10pcm deal..maybe it just connects to Internet..am not sure...rest of time is using his wifi..BUT the fact that he bought the 3G version gives him access if he needs it.
If u have good Internet at home..not sure wher u are..north ish somewhere if u work at candelabra..and the signal is good..ur probably on broadband...then forget the 3G as u can use at home...we women know our stuff!
Do u need to use it at work tho? Don't they have Internet in the hospital? Depends on yr job ther but can u not connect to their wifi? Just re read that Nd sorry..maybe u hVe to be in hospital for some medical reason and want to use it there..if so apologies...
I work in A and E here in Lancaster and my colleague said to me Sunday that she had got her galaxy smart phone set into the units wifi...one of the blokes had done it for her..not sure how legal that was mind u! BUTbit will cost u mega bucks to roam around using wifi unless u find a deal..most of the phone shops do iPads on contract with some wifi element as part of deal..orange do it Vodafone too..both these have shops at gran sur near fanabe area...go take a look..but the cost will be dearer than buying out rite on wifi only..and surfing other people's wifi...Anywya once you got it your wife will not let it out of her clutches....so no point hAving epensive 3g payments to make in candeleria!

We have an Apt in Callao BUT whilst we used to use a Vodafone dongle for our PC ..this used to give us unlimited Internet for 30 euros a month we cud connect to skype ..do all sorts .but they were not making enough euros so they reduced it to 2gb a month..ok for emails facebk etc but not powerful enough for Skype. I can do Skype on iPad in an Internet cafe tho..it works better in fact on good wifi. Some guys trying to get a beacon/antennae sorted down there to beam wifi to apts that don't use telephones..unfortunately we are out five degreesnoutmof the wifi catch at the moment...my husband..fed up of watching me play with machine now has a Samsung galaxy s wifi5 mp3 tablet..is not using the mp bit but is googling etc and that was £135 on amazon..is like a smallipad but not as clever! But fits in his shirtpocket..unlike the iPad!
Get one..u will not regret it..the google maps are amazing the apps. The messages between Ipad owners etc etc love it! Jill

Added after 4 minutes:

Well thanks! Must admit its easier talking to u than trying to find out how I can get brilliant wifi in our apt in Callao salvaje Nd how the new beach is doing or not as the case maybe....

Well the thing is with 3G is the expense...my son lives in london...has the 3G one but only uses it when he is out of wifi Area,,say filming on a beach..he is in the media so does that kind of thing!... Them switches it off most of the time as he is either at work using theirs or at home using his wifi in Internet cafes etc. of which there are plenty...or here when he logs o to our sky wifi
So he did not recommend me getting that,,,I think he has a pay as u go £10pcm deal..maybe it just connects to Internet..am not sure...rest of time is using his wifi..BUT the fact that he bought the 3G version gives him access if he needs it.
If u have good Internet at home..not sure wher u are..north ish somewhere if u work at candelabra..and the signal is good..ur probably on broadband...then forget the 3G as u can use at home...we women know our stuff!
Do u need to use it at work tho? Don't they have Internet in the hospital? Depends on yr job ther but can u not connect to their wifi? Just re read that Nd sorry..maybe u hVe to be in hospital for some medical reason and want to use it there..if so apologies...
I work in A and E here in Lancaster and my colleague said to me Sunday that she had got her galaxy smart phone set into the units wifi...one of the blokes had done it for her..not sure how legal that was mind u! BUTbit will cost u mega bucks to roam around using wifi unless u find a deal..most of the phone shops do iPads on contract with some wifi element as part of deal..orange do it Vodafone too..both these have shops at gran sur near fanabe area...go take a look..but the cost will be dearer than buying out rite on wifi only..and surfing other people's wifi...Anywya once you got it your wife will not let it out of her clutches....so no point hAving epensive 3g payments to make in candeleria!

We have an Apt in Callao BUT whilst we used to use a Vodafone dongle for our PC ..this used to give us unlimited Internet for 30 euros a month we cud connect to skype ..do all sorts .but they were not making enough euros so they reduced it to 2gb a month..ok for emails facebk etc but not powerful enough for Skype. I can do Skype on iPad in an Internet cafe tho..it works better in fact on good wifi. Some guys trying to get a beacon/antennae sorted down there to beam wifi to apts that don't use telephones..unfortunately we are out five degreesnoutmof the wifi catch at the moment...my husband..fed up of watching me play with machine now has a Samsung galaxy s wifi5 mp3 tablet..is not using the mp bit but is googling etc and that was £135 on amazon..is like a smallipad but not as clever! But fits in his shirtpocket..unlike the iPad!
Get one..u will not regret it..the google maps are amazing the apps. The messages between Ipad owners etc etc love it! Jill

The Samsung is android...just read above quote..I have iTunes anyway so no big deal..apple are brilliant..if u don't need to,put it I yr shirt pocket go for apple iPad 32gb..it's not much dearer than 16. And wifi only...BUT as the iPad 3 is Bour to be launched u. May wish to look at that...they also say the ipad2 will come down in price when lunch of 3 gets going..I cud not wait tho!

bonitatime
20-03-2012, 21:43
I am confused most of the mobile companies will split you data possibilities into two chips if you want
If you have a mobile phone you can therefore do this for a small extra charge of have I interpreted this wrong?

karinagal
20-03-2012, 21:55
My iPad has 3G - at the moment, the speed on 3G is much faster than my home (UK) broadband.....! We are hoping that the speed will improve soon as I believe our area is being prepared for BT Infinity..

Sunlover
20-03-2012, 21:56
If you've got a smartphone then it is possible to turn your handset into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot using your device's 3G connection to then access the web on your laptop/tablet, a process that's called 'tethering'.

cainaries
20-03-2012, 22:28
I know I am going to be shot down in flames but .... timmylish have you checked 3G will work in the areas where you cannot get wifi? Otherwise no point in getting 3G. (Yeah, I know what you're all going to say). Where I am if I have no wifi coverage my 3G connection on my kindle doesn't, er, actually work!

christa
20-03-2012, 22:36
I know I am going to be shot down in flames but .... timmylish have you checked 3G will work in the areas where you cannot get wifi? Otherwise no point in getting 3G. (Yeah, I know what you're all going to say). Where I am if I have no wifi coverage my 3G connection on my kindle doesn't, er, actually work!

Hi, 3G on my kindle doesn't work also. It did at first, now I wish I'd not paid the extra for the 3G.

cainaries
20-03-2012, 22:43
Hi, 3G on my kindle doesn't work also. It did at first, now I wish I'd not paid the extra for the 3G.

I can see us going off topic here, Christa! I love my Kindle and it was well worth all the incredible hassle. But if my wifi isn't connected I can't download anything. I go out with my kindle haunting places trying to find a connection. Best one I found was lurking about outside a private health clinic where the 3G did work but I'm sure I was piggy-backing on to their wifi. I wonder if the 3G works on kindles in Tenerife?!?

timmylish
21-03-2012, 00:31
I can see us going off topic here, Christa! I love my Kindle and it was well worth all the incredible hassle. But if my wifi isn't connected I can't download anything. I go out with my kindle haunting places trying to find a connection. Best one I found was lurking about outside a private health clinic where the 3G did work but I'm sure I was piggy-backing on to their wifi. I wonder if the 3G works on kindles in Tenerife?!?

OIY YOU! Don,t you dare start again about your bleedin' reading machine!!!!!!
Anyway, the more I read on here the more I,m totally lost! I thought that if you had 3G you could have a pre-paid/PAYG type of card which, when not at home or in a Wi-Fi location, you could switch to that 3G and use it like you would use a mobile phone. Do I have that part correct? If not I,m giving up! I don,t have a smartphone at all so that answers that. So if my understanding is correct why would it not work anywhere a mobile phone works? Now if someone can answer that you will be going a long way to answering all my questions/problems so, here,s hoping!
ps. Candelaria is where I get treated and I don,t, unfortunately, work anymore.

minimadmandy
21-03-2012, 00:46
Hubby asked me what I wanted at Christmas and that is how I ended up with my iPad 2. I thought that maybe it would sit unused on my office desk. However I can honestly say I have used it every day sineChristmas. I already have an iMac computer and it's interesting to note that I now do all my surfing and emails on the iPad. I also have films, music, drawing apps and Photopshop all on my iPad. I also use the Pages app which allows me to open and save word document for all my Pc friends out there. I would say an awful lot of people only ever used their PCs for surfing and email which is why iPads and similar devices are so popular. Why have a big expensive PC with loads of stuff on you never use. I only went for the wi option knowing that when im in Tenerife I can hook up to the wifi there. If you purchase one in the uk and get one with a contract (like phone) it will cost you a fortune to use in Tenerife like a mobile phone would. The other great thing is being able to use iCloud to sinc with my iMac so any photos I take on my iPhone or camera appear on my IMac and iPad as well. To answer an earlier question their is a Photosop app which I downloaded today, not as extensive at the full version but pretty good. As a graphic designer I still use my IMac for work but when I'm at play it's the iPad every time! My 15 year old son has a pc, laptop and an iPad and the laptop never gets used anymore and the PC only for certain bits of software. Most of the time he's using the iPad. There are some fantastic Apps out there to discover both my children are learning languages using it. Mine cost £400 but is now reduced by about £70 because of the new version that was just released.

karinagal
21-03-2012, 01:15
Anyway, the more I read on here the more I,m totally lost! I thought that if you had 3G you could have a pre-paid/PAYG type of card which, when not at home or in a Wi-Fi location, you could switch to that 3G and use it like you would use a mobile phone. Do I have that part correct? If not I,m giving up! I don,t have a smartphone at all so that answers that. So if my understanding is correct why would it not work anywhere a mobile phone works? Now if someone can answer that you will be going a long way to answering all my questions/problems so, here,s hoping!

Yes, you can have a contract or pay as you go sim which will work wherever there is a 3G signal. Just be careful to switch off data roaming if you leave Spanish territory.

bonitatime
21-03-2012, 09:56
Thanks Karina

Megaloo
21-03-2012, 12:11
Can i throw in a question forgive me if already answered, I have an Ipad and love it but what are the benefits of using tapatalk? I already post on here on it without it but wondered whether it is easier with the app.

Greg
21-03-2012, 16:56
Apple really are great at making you NOT get alll the things you want in one device. Smart.

I'm not sure I agree with that, I bought a Macbook Air four years ago and it's the best investment I ever made. I can't see the point of a tablet when a laptop does everything a tower does but at the same weight as a tablet. I know it is a greater initial cost but spread over its lifetime it makes sense.

cainaries
21-03-2012, 17:53

My lips are sealed ..............................................

karinagal
21-03-2012, 22:37
Can i throw in a question forgive me if already answered, I have an Ipad and love it but what are the benefits of using tapatalk? I already post on here on it without it but wondered whether it is easier with the app.

Excellent question - I'm not exactly sure if there ARE benefits.... I use it because I have it on my iPhone and it just seemed logical....!

timmylish
21-03-2012, 23:09
Well done Karina. Who need all these so called male experts on anything slightly IT. You come along in your own modest way (as are most Scots, I,ve always found!) and answer a few questions no-else has been able to!!!!!!!!
As usual, many thanks lady!

Vortex Wake
21-03-2012, 23:20
Tapatalk is ideal for slow or costly connections .
I am using it at the moment because just a few pages on this forum will exceed my Tenerife roaming data allowance .
Tapatalk also hosts your picture up loads too .
At home I normally use a normal browser on the phone / iPod

karinagal
24-03-2012, 10:19
I charged my iPad before setting off for the airport yesterday. I watched 'I Am Legend' (on reflection, not the best choice of film as I was jumping at the scary bits and almost sobbing when the dog died.... but I digress..!) followed by an episode of Stargate (adds up to a good 3 hours usage) and the battery was showing 72% power left... Ye cannae whack it..... :p :D :p

Greg
24-03-2012, 16:33

Yes you can, simply but an Airport express for about 50 quid and plug your old printer into it. While you are there add another lead from the Airport express to your surround sound or whatever you listen to music on and stream all the tunes and radio stations on your Ipad/Iphone/Ipod to the sound system. Works great. I have a few dotted around the house and when I change rooms the music changes rooms with me. Simples!

Suej
24-03-2012, 17:18

My Kindle 3G works fine Cainaries! I sometimes have to move around a bit to get a signal but that's much the same with my mobile!:)

cainaries
24-03-2012, 18:43
My Kindle 3G works fine Cainaries! I sometimes have to move around a bit to get a signal but that's much the same with my mobile!:)

Not allowed to mention K*ndles on here, Suej, so have sent you a pm!

bonitatime
25-03-2012, 00:11
I find tap talk much easier to use with a smart phone it is more tidy and compact so you don't need to keep moving a web page back and forward

www.soydeltete.es

Suej
25-03-2012, 14:13

Are you in Tenerife Christa? I don't have a problem with 3G here! won't mention the "K" word!:D