PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a Cataract operation. What can I expect?

casabonny
14-03-2012, 11:59
I am going to have to have both eyes operated on for cataracts .Have any members had this done here in Tenerife or the Uk and if so what are your experiences/advice.
I am of course nervous or maybe I should say apprehensive but know this needs to be done but would like to hear others views on improvement in sight, pain , time before " normal " sight is returned etc.
I used to think that it was only old people who needed this done but I need this as the cataracts are very bad .I have just had laser treatment to repair one of the retinas which had to be done before Cataract surgery.
Patiently waiting for your responses :pray:

karinagal
14-03-2012, 12:15
I am going to have to have both eyes operated on for cataracts .Have any members had this done here in Tenerife or the Uk and if so what are your experiences/advice.
I am of course nervous or maybe I should say apprehensive but know this needs to be done but would like to hear others views on improvement in sight, pain , time before " normal " sight is returned etc.
I used to think that it was only old people who needed this done but I need this as the cataracts are very bad .I have just had laser treatment to repair one of the retinas which had to be done before Cataract surgery.
Patiently waiting for your responses :pray:

I've had both eyes done about 7-8 years ago here in the UK. It was a bit disconcerting during the procedure (they generally do one eye at a time) but it was not painful. The artificial lens that was fitted gives me fabulous distance vision, but I now need reading glasses. My vision was back to normal the next day, I can't remember there being much in the way of pain - more like discomfort....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Snowdrop
14-03-2012, 17:43
Casabonny, had cataract operations on both of my eyes a couple of years ago, where I was referred by my doctor to the Green Hospital in Los Cris. Very quick and relatively painless procedure under local anaethestic. Really weird sensation while they were doing op, it was like looking up through the Big top at a circus, all of a sudden there was a bright light then I could see all the colours of the rainbow. They cover the eye with plastic patch and bandage when they have finished op, which you keep on for 24 hrs, you then go back and have it removed and checked out the following day. Instant improvement in vision, make sure you take good quality sunglasses that cover up your eye as much as possible. you then follow a regime of inserting drops in the eye at regular intervals which lasts up to six weeks for each eye. They did my second eye three weeks after the first one, only problem that I found was that the drops are taken at different times depending on which eye you are treating, which can get very confusing. I made out a rota marking down the different times for each eye, so then I didn`t have to keep thinking about which eye I was treating at any given time. Great Fun! They did my worst eye first, which I had hardly been able to see out of for years, and up to approx. week afterwards, didn't know whether I was coming or going, wanted to keep putting my glasses back on, but of course the prescription had now changed which really threw my brain into a spin, because I was now looking out of an eye that was 100% better than the other eye which still hadn't been operated on. When I had the second eye operation, I adjusted much easier. Wonderful feeling not having to wear prescription glasses at long last. No need to be worried, just look forward to having the procedure done and enjoy the benefits.

Ed3229
14-03-2012, 18:41
My mum had one eye done today shes 75....Left the house at 8.30am and back at 1.00pm...She said she had no pain....

cainaries
14-03-2012, 18:48
Casabonny, had cataract operations on both of my eyes a couple of years ago, where I was referred by my doctor to the Green Hospital in Los Cris. Very quick and relatively painless procedure under local anaethestic. Really weird sensation while they were doing op, it was like looking up through the Big top at a circus, all of a sudden there was a bright light then I could see all the colours of the rainbow. They cover the eye with plastic patch and bandage when they have finished op, which you keep on for 24 hrs, you then go back and have it removed and checked out the following day. Instant improvement in vision, make sure you take good quality sunglasses that cover up your eye as much as possible. you then follow a regime of inserting drops in the eye at regular intervals which lasts up to six weeks for each eye. They did my second eye three weeks after the first one, only problem that I found was that the drops are taken at different times depending on which eye you are treating, which can get very confusing. I made out a rota marking down the different times for each eye, so then I didn`t have to keep thinking about which eye I was treating at any given time. Great Fun! They did my worst eye first, which I had hardly been able to see out of for years, and up to approx. week afterwards, didn't know whether I was coming or going, wanted to keep putting my glasses back on, but of course the prescription had now changed which really threw my brain into a spin, because I was now looking out of an eye that was 100% better than the other eye which still hadn't been operated on. When I had the second eye operation, I adjusted much easier. Wonderful feeling not having to wear prescription glasses at long last. No need to be worried, just look forward to having the procedure done and enjoy the benefits.

OH had his done about 2 years ago. I completely agree with you about the rota for the drops (which was down to me, of course). I almost had to write an Excel spreadsheet. But that was me! He was absolutely fine and when he went back the following morning for the first check up on the first eye had already recovered his vision. One of the other patients who had been extremely nervous was thrilled to pieces to recover his vision and kept saying how easy it had all been. I am going to have to have one done but it's not mature enough yet.

warbey
14-03-2012, 21:41
I had both done with eighteen Months between for the Second., and it isnt something to worry about.

There were differences in method but You may not even have a Patch on now.
Some have a Shield overnight.
Next Dat Checkup is a MUST though.
As stated, Reading Glasses will be needed with Distance Vision pretty good unassisted..
Previous Posts are accurate..

casabonny
14-03-2012, 21:49
It seems from the replies I have nothing to worry about.I understand about the drops as a friend of a friend just had one done and his wife got very confused about timing for the drops.
The consultant has told me that i would have to wait 2/3 weeks between the first and second one and I know thats going to be " interesting " with regard to seeing! My sight is really bad -16.25 in one eye and -13.25 in the other so it should be a drastic improvement , although the in between time could prove trying!

kathml
14-03-2012, 22:12
Once you've had first eye done remove that lens from your specs until the second eye is done then allow to settle for 4/6 weeks then have your eyes checked by optician you may still need reading glasses

no pain from ops agree drops are the biggest pain especially if you have to do them yourself

miketikolo
19-03-2012, 10:02
I am going to have to have both experience handled on for cataracts .Have any affiliates had this done here in Tenerife or the Uk and if so what are your experiences/advice.

casabonny
01-04-2012, 21:08
Well folks an update.Had my right eye done last Wednesday and I am very impressed.Only problem I have is as my sight is so bad removing lens from my glasses made me feel very disorientated! HAve for the time being( with Consultants approval) started using contact lens in left eye and sight is fab.Really looking forward ( well maybe thats not quite the right description) to having the other done .
As I am used to using contact lenses the drops are proving no problem, although when I have the other done it may get a little confusing as I will be on different schedules for each eye !
I would thoroughly recomend any one who needs this to have it done.I had mine done at Costa Adeje by Jose Miguel Perez Dieste who I would recommend highly as very professional , caring and thorough in his explanations.He said he was really looking forward to doing mine as they were not straightforward and would be a challange for him, which he took on and sucsessfully completed with no complications.

Added after 5 minutes:

Forgot to say ( and unable to edit for some reason ! ) am having the other eye done on 11th April so not long to wait

warbey
02-04-2012, 20:07
Its frightening only when You dont know the routine.

I bet there will be less sweat over the Second one.

Good luck.

casabonny
12-04-2012, 12:50
Just to let you all know I have had the second eye done now and wow what a difference.Been for a check up this morning and now have 80% vision , amazing.Readings a bit of a struggle at the moment as I have to wait for both eyes to setlle before getting the correct prescription for that but I am well pleased.
Anyone considering this and having doubts or nerves then dont , go for it , its painless, uncomfortable when being done but the results are fantastic.:jumping:

Snowdrop
12-04-2012, 14:31
Pleased to hear that your treatment was as successful as mine. :wave: