PDA

View Full Version : Other Interesting article on language learning

bonitatime
14-03-2012, 16:37
http://t.co/QeDzUULP

Frustrated at not being able to follow his neighbours' chatter, Bernard Milward decided it was time to take some classes in the tongue of Dante

"Mozzarella va a Lecce ogni giorno" (Mozzarella goes to Lecce every day).

I bounced this improbable phrase around in my brain for a few seconds whilst my Italian neighbours continued to babble away at a blistering pace, which with my limited Italian, was quite impossible to keep up with. Then it dawned on me. "Mia sorella va a Lecce ogni giorno" (my sister goes to Lecce every day). That was it. I decided that I needed to sign up for an Italian course.

I promptly googled Italian schools and was surprised at the bewildering choice. Italian for cooking, history of art, literature, medicine, music, business… The list seemed endless. I had a number of considerations in mind. I didn't want to go to a school in the height of summer; nor a school which would be full of American university students (normally a huge chunk of the market, but whose numbers fluctuate with the comparative strength of the dollar versus the euro); and finally I wanted to go to a part of the country where I would get maximum exposure to the language. Thus, I needed to avoid the more popular tourist regions, where one might try speaking the local parlance and would infuriatingly receive a response in English or German...,.....,,

Debbie_22
16-03-2012, 16:04
Fairly true point that so many people go abroad and the first / easiet/ most rememberable thing they learn are swear words

miketikolo
19-03-2012, 10:14
I quickly researched French educational institutions and was amazed at the overwelming choice. French for cooking, history of art, materials, medicine, music, business…