PDA

View Full Version : C4 Now...Our man in...Tenerife

AL JAY
15-03-2012, 23:05
Should be good, it was on the Costa Blanca last week.

primrose
16-03-2012, 00:12
Should be good, it was on the Costa Blanca last week.

Yes it was good, can't believe what was said about Spanish Law that as long as the thieves who were stealing bags stole less than 400 Euros they were let off with just a warning. Crazy:duh:

Medman
16-03-2012, 00:37
Yes it was good, can't believe what was said about Spanish Law that as long as the thieves who were stealing bags stole less than 400 Euros they were let off with just a warning. Crazy:duh:

Totally agree, talk about encouraging petty crime. Very worrying. :mad:

TIS
16-03-2012, 02:02
But are your views on the program itself, the staff and the way in which they deal or claim to help people? That is a far more important issue, as the law is set in stone and very difficult to get changed.

macdonald5
16-03-2012, 08:35
But are your views on the program itself, the staff and the way in which they deal or claim to help people? That is a far more important issue, as the law is set in stone and very difficult to get changed.

I thought these programmes were very informative, I had little idea what British Consulate staff actually done. Staff seemed to be very helpful and supportive even when they could only act as in between the person needing help and their friend/relative back home
Having to deal with desperate even down an out smelly people must be very difficult.
Like previous posts I was shocked at Spanish Law 'turning blind eye' if theft was under €400 and only giving a warning to thieves.
Found the series very informative and showed the Consulate staff in good light

Balcony
16-03-2012, 10:25
I saw part of the programme and it was interesting, but it does bring home the misconceptions people have about their consulates and what they can/can't do for you. It also brings to bear how you must plan your holidays to ensure you can cope better in an emergency.

British Consulate, Plaza Weyler 8, First floor, 38003 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Tel: (+34) 922 286 863 Fax: (+34) 922 289 903 Email: Tenerife.Consulate@fco.gov.uk Web: www.britishembassy.gov.uk/
Normal hours of opening to the public 08.30 to 13.30

German Consulate, Costa y Grijalba, 18-bajo, 38004 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Tel: (+34) 922 248 820 Fax: (+34) 922 151 555. Opening hours 10.00 to 13.00

Irish Consulate, Castillo, 8-40 A, 38002 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Tel: (+34) 922 245 671 Fax (+34) 922 249 957 Opening hours 10.00 to 13.00

For other consulates try http://www.embassypages.com/

What the Consulate may be able to do for you

Emergency - issue emergency passports.
Emergency - contact relatives and friends and ask them to help you with money or tickets.
Emergency - cash you a sterling cheque worth up to £100 if supported by a valid banker's card.
Emergency - as long as you meet certain strict rules, give you a loan to get you back to the UK.
(Note there is no law that says they must do this, and you must demonstrate no one else can help you.)
Tell you how to transfer money.
Help you get in touch with local lawyers, interpreters and doctors.
Arrange for next of kin to be told of an accident or a death and advise on procedures.
Visit you if you have been arrested or put in prison and in some circumstances, arrange messages
Give guidance on organisations who help trace missing persons.
Speak to the local authorities for you, in certain circumstances.

What the Consulate CANNOT do for you

Intervene in court cases.
Get you out of prison.
Give legal advice or start court proceedings for you.
Get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local nationals.
Investigate a crime.
Pay your hotel, legal, medical or any other bills.
Pay your travel costs, except in special circumstances.
Do work normally done by travel agents, airlines, banks or motoring organisations.
Get you somewhere to live, a job or work permit.
Formally help you if you are a dual national, in the country of your second nationality.

This might help as far as the consulate is concerned..

primrose
16-03-2012, 12:40

Did you watch the programme? the law as it stands is very important to the Consulate and they were trying to get something done about it and as soon as they said it was harming Tourism there was a big crack down on the bag snatchers. To be honest I think they could do a lot more, when somebody is stood in front of them with no money having had everything stolen and and they tell them they want 113 Euros to issue an emergency passport or they will be stranded with no money or no accommodation that is a disgrace, why on earth does it cost that much to issue a piece of paper. I am not blaming the staff themselves they have to work to government rules but charging that is as big a robbery as having your bag snatched.

Suej
16-03-2012, 12:45
Did you watch the programme? the law as it stands is very important to the Consulate and they were trying to get something done about it and as soon as they said it was harming Tourism there was a big crack down on the bag snatchers. To be honest I think they could do a lot more, when somebody is stood in front of them with no money having had everything stolen and and they tell them they want 113 Euros to issue an emergency passport or they will be stranded with no money or no accommodation that is a disgrace, why on earth does it cost that much to issue a piece of paper. I am not blaming the staff themselves they have to work to government rules but charging that is as big a robbery as having your bag snatched.

I agree I also thought 113€ was an exorbitant amount for a one journey only passport! They must make a fortune alone on emergency passports!:wow:

videotalker
16-03-2012, 12:56
Think I will watch it in my lunch hour

Tom & Sharon
16-03-2012, 13:02

I agree it does seem rather a lot compared to the charge for a 10 yr passport of £77.50. However you do have to consider the cost of running Consulates all over the world . These must be very expensive to run, and you could use the argument that they should be funded by people needing the service, and not come from central taxes.

I don't really see why people should expect them to be provided for nothing, with the argument "I pay my taxes" like we saw last night. People take advantage, and if the services were free, you'd get Brits on holiday turning up for all kinds of things. Why bother taking enough money with you when the consulate will always bail you out? There will always be people who would be queuing up to take advantage of that.

I had to laugh at the 4 teenagers who'd lost their passports. The parents had said they wouldn't send them the money, so they expected to get them for nothing, yet again, because they "pay their taxes". If their own parents wouldn't pay for them, I can't see why the rest of us should fork out for it from Govt. funds!

golf birdie
16-03-2012, 13:13
I agree it does seem rather a lot compared to the charge for a 10 yr passport of £77.50. However you do have to consider the cost of running Consulates all over the world . These must be very expensive to run, and you could use the argument that they should be funded by people needing the service, and not come from central taxes.

!

also if you have the right insurance and try to take care of your belongings this cost and others should be covered. Another point was made on how people come with just enough to see them over there holiday, nothing left if things go wrong not even a credit card. A number of times when I've been delayed flying home I have seen families without a cent to buy refreshments at the airport. Not a great end to their holiday when the kids are crying for a drink.

Skeggy
16-03-2012, 13:14
Where did those four dig up the credit card from and the cash that they eventually produced, I think they were saving a little for one or two refreshments, they left with a enjoy the rest of your holiday from the consulate staff, ho were they going to do that with supposedly no money.?

TOTO 99
16-03-2012, 13:27
Where did those four dig up the credit card from and the cash that they eventually produced, I think they were saving a little for one or two refreshments, they left with a enjoy the rest of your holiday from the consulate staff, ho were they going to do that with supposedly no money.?

You obviously didn't hear the last line which was
"if you get stuck again, go and see Skeggy, he's got a few bob"..:laugh:

primrose
16-03-2012, 14:04

I don't really see why people should expect them to be provided for nothing, with the argument "I pay my taxes" like we saw last night. People take advantage, and if the services were free, you'd get Brits on holiday turning up for all kinds of things. Why bother taking enough money with you when the consulate will always bail you out? There will always be people who would be queuing up to take advantage of that.

I had to laugh at the 4 teenagers who'd lost their passports. The parents had said they wouldn't send them the money, so they expected to get them for nothing, yet again, because they "pay their taxes". If their own parents wouldn't pay for them, I can't see why the rest of us should fork out for it from Govt. funds!

But aren't the Consulates there for everybody, who knows when they might be needed you can't use the argument let them that are using the service pay, did you not see the elderly couple who's Daughter had died abroad and was in tears at how little help they had received.A few years ago we needed our passports renewing and we were going to renew them when we went back to England but due to an accident we were unable to travel and they ran out before we could go back so we had to go to Santa Cruz and get emergency passports, I didn't mind paying for them as it was unfortunate they ran out before we could get back to England but there is a difference between that and somebody being stranded in a Foreign Country after having all their money and passports stolen. I could never see anybody homeless and penniless and stranded abroad especially after the trauma of having been robbed but obviously the British Government can, and they will then rob you again charging 113 euros for an emergency passport. Can anybody explain why a 2 day passport costs more than a 10 day one or is it just a money making scheme.

Tom & Sharon
16-03-2012, 14:24
But aren't the Consulates there for everybody, who knows when they might be needed you can't use the argument let them that are using the service pay, did you not see the elderly couple who's Daughter had died abroad and was in tears at how little help they had received.A few years ago we needed our passports renewing and we were going to renew them when we went back to England but due to an accident we were unable to travel and they ran out before we could go back so we had to go to Santa Cruz and get emergency passports, I didn't mind paying for them as it was unfortunate they ran out before we could get back to England but there is a difference between that and somebody being stranded in a Foreign Country after having all their money and passports stolen. I could never see anybody homeless and penniless and stranded abroad especially after the trauma of having been robbed but obviously the British Government can, and they will then rob you again charging 113 euros for an emergency passport. Can anybody explain why a 2 day passport costs more than a 10 day one or is it just a money making scheme.

I know what you mean Primrose, when they're genuine cases, I just think there are loads of people who would take advantage.

I did see the couple who's daughter had died in Nepal, but I wasn't sure of their argument either. I felt desperately sorry for their loss yes, it was obviously very raw as well still. They'd had to pay £8,000 for her body re-patriated but I really don't think the Govt. should pay for that.

I do think however that children should not be charged for. That little boy last night with his mum just wanted to get back to school. Also, God forbid, if a child dies abroad, then I think their bodies should be re-patriated for free, but not adults as in the case of the woman in Nepal.

primrose
16-03-2012, 14:48
When we went up to Santa Cruz for emergency passports it took as long as it took for us to go and have a coffee in the park opposite the Consulate and then it didn't even look like a passport just a piece of paper which was taken off us at Manchester Airport and it is beyond me how they could charge so much.I can understand a charge for the Passport but not to rob people, the charges are out of all proportion for the amount of work they have to do to issue it.If you put forward the argument that the people that use the service should pay and not the tax payer does that mean that everybody whatever the reason should pay if they use this service, don't forget the majority of people that use the services of the Consulate are victims of crime accidents or bereavements.I am not blaming the Consular staff for this, as the programme explained they are limited by what they can do but i do think there should be some flexibility.

Balcony
16-03-2012, 15:34
I think the situation in the programme suggested to me that the consular officials didn't (at first) quite believe what they were told, although there was some 'rationalisation' in the consular's explanation! For me there seemed a lot of inconsistencies in the explanations given by the group who had everything stolen.

The problem is that for the genuine 'victim' (a word to cover all scenarios) the whole thing is a big deal and, quite often there is frustration in thinking you should know, but not knowing what to do and fearing the consequences. Then, faced with a wall of bureaucracy, it all gets too much. The mind can't see past the trees for many people.

Perhaps, it might be more helpful if the Consulate was in the resort area and not in the north of the island. Clearly, it is more likely that holiday makers in the resorts are more likely to be in need, as are the residents who need to renew passports etc.

We have had just one major trauma whilst travelling, when we had a death in the family some years back whilst on Tenerife and had to get to southern Germany. Getting there was not the problem. However it was winter and we had only light clothing, so we had to go via home to the UK first to get appropriate clothing. Of course, getting back was merely - I use the term cautiously! - a matter of money, but I was surprised how we got no help from our original booking agent Opodo (never again, after that) and almost fell over at the extra cost that Iberia, our flight provider wanted. OK, we couldn't prove our plight was genuine. However, Monarch got us home and a call to BA (from Tenerife) got us to Germany. Alls well that ends well, so to speak, but at the time......

DUNEDIN
16-03-2012, 16:14
Watched this morning on 4OD and following on from Tom and Sharons thread about life in tenerife it was a tad depressing.

Picked up skeggys point too that how were they gonna enjoy the rest of ther hol wi no dough:whistle:

Amazing the situations people get into and stranded thousands of miles from home with not a bolt in there pocket. Encouraging to hear crime in Canaries was massively less than Barca although they maybe set the bar high anyway.

Think the wee scouse guy could have shown Bear Grylls a bit about survival:lol:

videotalker
16-03-2012, 16:18
Why was the other guy sleeping rough for weeks when he had funds in the bank at home - I found that one a bit strange......

DUNEDIN
16-03-2012, 16:47
I know what you mean Primrose, when they're genuine cases, I just think there are loads of people who would take advantage.

I did see the couple who's daughter had died in Nepal, but I wasn't sure of their argument either. I felt desperately sorry for their loss yes, it was obviously very raw as well still. They'd had to pay £8,000 for her body re-patriated but I really don't think the Govt. should pay for that.

I do think however that children should not be charged for. That little boy last night with his mum just wanted to get back to school. Also, God forbid, if a child dies abroad, then I think their bodies should be re-patriated for free, but not adults as in the case of the woman in Nepal.

Its a hard one that. on one hand the Gov cannot take responsability and cost for everything that happens to its citizens on foreign soil however for this elderly couple on top of the shock death of there daughter in Nepal at a young age (wonder what happened) to be told they had to stump up and up front when they didnt even have the money must have been devestating. At least he had an employer who loaned them the funds.

Without knowing the facts this maybe a mute point but what about insurance? Surely she would have had some especially somewhere as far flung as nepal and would this not cover sudden death??

I suppose in times of austerity these consolates are going to be tighter and tighter to fund and they cannot simply pay for every stupid sod that has been careless with money,passport or other goods.
We live in a small town outside Edinburgh and you can see the Belgian flag flying outside a building in the town. This is because yves the guy who runs it runs a tourism company from this venue but he doubles up as the Belgian Consulate in this area so it shows these things can be small time and pretty much run by individuals. I would imagine he is on a retainer of some form but he certainly wont have the funds to pay on behalf of everyone that comes to him in hardship.

That obviously presumes all countries and consulates work along similar lines

TBF there is possibly more Brits go to Tenerife than Belgians to Edinburgh though:spin:

golf birdie
16-03-2012, 18:04
they should make holiday insurance compulsory. 1 in 5 travel without it, don't worry they think, it happens to others not me. Them 4 kids last night at their age would have paid about 15 quid for 2 weeks cover yet they travelled without.
If you can't afford the insurance don't book the holiday and expect others to bail you out.

chocaholic
16-03-2012, 18:57
Am amazed at people i discussed this with who thoight the consulate pay for flights home, emergency passports etc. Why on earth should they?

Fred Perry
16-03-2012, 19:59
The amount charged for a one trip passport is way too much (how can they justify that?). It is obvious that it is a money making scheme to fund the running of the consulates and people have no choice but to pay the money.

The tramps should be given their own show on tv! Alcoholics and seem harmless enough. hicccuuuppp.

The consulates all in all do a good job and the programme showed Tenerife in a relatively good light.

As for the 400€ minimum regarding the muggings/pick pockets. Total disgrace. Any robbery should result for Spanish a jail term and having to pay money back and if they are foreign sent back to their country and never let back into Spain(with a couple of cracks of the whip to see them on their way)

primrose
16-03-2012, 20:06
The amount charged for a one trip passport is way too much (how can they justify that?). It is obvious that it is a money making scheme to fund the running of the consulates and people have no choice but to pay the money.

The tramps should be given their own show on tv! Alcoholics and seem harmless enough. hicccuuuppp.

The consulates all in all do a good job and the programme showed Tenerife in a relatively good light.

As for the 400€ minimum regarding the muggings/pick pockets. Total disgrace. Any robbery should result for Spanish a jail term and having to pay money back and if they are foreign sent back to their country and never let back into Spain(with a couple of cracks of the whip to see them on their way)

Well that proves that crime pays.......But the British Consulate won't.

TIS
17-03-2012, 01:16

You must have been watching a different program to the one we saw. I found the one woman who seemed to be smirking all the time as if she found the "clients" funny an absolute disgrace.

The hard nosed, inflexible attitude of "pay us xxx Euros before we do anything" unbelieveable. There was no attempt to empathise with the hardships these people were going through. I think you need to be a special sort of "cold, heartless person" to qualify for a job there.

Now don't get me wrong, sure there will be some people who think they could get a free ride back to the UK - well, they will be in for a shock and quite rightly. I would not advocate that this be a free service, but surely they can find out some details first about the client and then make a genuine offer to help by making appropriate phone calls etc for them and then agreeing some form of binding repayment plan. That way the initial stress and desperation is removed or at least substantially reduced from the situation and with a client that feels they are being helped will be much easier to assist as they should be far less aggressive. The one guys view, as somebody else said on this thread, that the Consulate was robbing them again would be the way I would feel in their shoes at that time.

Yes, particularly as insurance is our business, I would 100% agree that travel insurance, like car insurance should be mandatory. It would be much easier to enforce as proof could be required before or at your point of booking in, while with car insurance in any country there is still a large percentage of people who do have have the "compulsory" insurance.

Added after 6 minutes:

What the Consulate may be able to do for you

Emergency - issue emergency passports.
Emergency - contact relatives and friends and ask them to help you with money or tickets.
Emergency - cash you a sterling cheque worth up to £100 if supported by a valid banker's card.
Emergency - as long as you meet certain strict rules, give you a loan to get you back to the UK.
(Note there is no law that says they must do this, and you must demonstrate no one else can help you.)
Tell you how to transfer money.
Help you get in touch with local lawyers, interpreters and doctors.
Arrange for next of kin to be told of an accident or a death and advise on procedures.
Visit you if you have been arrested or put in prison and in some circumstances, arrange messages
Give guidance on organisations who help trace missing persons.
Speak to the local authorities for you, in certain circumstances.

What the Consulate CANNOT do for you

Intervene in court cases.
Get you out of prison.
Give legal advice or start court proceedings for you.
Get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local nationals.
Investigate a crime.
Pay your hotel, legal, medical or any other bills.
Pay your travel costs, except in special circumstances.
Do work normally done by travel agents, airlines, banks or motoring organisations.
Get you somewhere to live, a job or work permit.
Formally help you if you are a dual national, in the country of your second nationality.

So as this list neatly says it all ..... What do they actually do?

All of the above and more can be acheived by somebody ringing around by themselves, or going to a Gestor who will charge them for their time, but I reckon far less than the Consulate will charge them. I know when we had a problem with our little ones name being misspelt by the local registrar, the Consulate in Santa Cruz refused to help. By telephoning Madrid direct the lady there was super efficient and helpful and we had our passports within 17 days. ( and no, it wasn't a language issue, as we dealt with the Santa Cruz office in English and Madrid in Spanish by phone)

Just my opinion.....

T....)

Totally agree.

Fred Perry
17-03-2012, 14:21
I thought the general opinion was that the consulates do a good job. Nearly all people interviewed for the programme were pleased with the service although found it expensive.

My main point is that sometimes these documentaries can show a place in a very bad light if they really want to by highlighting the bad points and exagerrating. Everyone knows that any resort has muggings/pick pockets/break ins and now and again murders but here they are alot lower than most. They did say that which was good.

TIS
17-03-2012, 14:25
I thought the general opinion was that the consulates do a good job. Nearly all people interviewed for the programme were pleased with the service although found it expensive.

My main point is that sometimes these documentaries can show a place in a very bad light if they really want to by highlighting the bad points and exagerrating. Everyone knows that any resort has muggings/pick pockets/break ins and now and again murders but here they are alot lower than most. They did say that which was good.

They did indeed say that crime in general is a lot lower here in Tenerife, but the program wasn't about tenerife and holiday issue, but about the Consulate and its "services" such as they are.

primrose
17-03-2012, 14:29

And they also said steal as many times as you want as long as you don't steal over 400 Euros each time you won't be prosecuted just a warning, sorry but don't think that put Spain in a good light, Now, can somebody point the way to the pick pocketing school.

emmo26
17-03-2012, 15:00
Just carry 500 euro notes...but the mugger might ask you "have you got anything smaller please?"

Balcony
19-03-2012, 09:41
Whilst I agree mostly with the sentiments about consulates of TIS, I would suggest that for the most part tourists find it difficult to cope in circumstances of loss of personal items, such as passports and credit cards, whether through carelessness, or theft. They don't all know where to go and what to do. Yes, they'll always be the odd one who just decides to swim home, but most need help. So too do people need help in the event of say, arrest and.or imprisonment. The consulate provides a bridge.

As I said before, consulates should have offices based in the tourist areas, especially in Tenerife and not in the happy-go-expenses luxury of Santa Cruz. However, consulates also do provide the political links too between governments.

I still think the main problem is lack of awareness of what can and can't be done. A simple sheet handed out with a new passport can help overcome some of those shortcomings. Plus visitors should do a little research about the usual type of problem they may face as tourists - health issues, crime issues and have an inkling what to do. Plenty of people on the ground will also help them.

For residents of Tenerife (legal or otherwise) you should be fully aware of what to do in an emergency.