PDA

View Full Version : Changing Vista for Windows 7

Emmity
17-03-2012, 12:52
Hi All, I was given a laptop by my brother when he upgraded (well waste not want not!) and it has Vista as the operating system but I don't like it, do you know anywhere I can take it and have it changed to Windows 7? Also any ideas on how much this will be and how difficult it is would be greatly appreciated, Thanks :D

timmylish
18-03-2012, 02:05
I always thought that Microsoft can just do this automatically by emails or the like.

delderek
18-03-2012, 10:17
It would also depend on the spec of your computer. Windows7 needs 4mb ram, to run nicely. I know it can run on less, but it is not ideal.

TenerifeTeddy
18-03-2012, 12:44
It would also depend on the spec of your computer. Windows7 needs 4mb ram, to run nicely. I know it can run on less, but it is not ideal.
Depending on what you want to run, Windows 7 runs fine on 2Gb RAM, obviously for more demanding applications or usage the more RAM the better. I run all my Windows 7 internet cafe machines on 2GB.

To give you a rough idea of the cost of a clean installation of Windows 7 Home Premuim, (I hate upgrades) The disks are approx 75GBP from Amazon, plus if you would like me or someone like me to do it for you, a labour charge, which if you would like to PM me we can discuss.

I am sure that you will get others come on here and say you can download "free" cracked copies from here or there, but personally I would advise against that option.

It is a good idea as ckctenerife suggested to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Tool from here (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20) to make sure your hardware and any critical software you are using is fully Windows 7 compatible to avoid any nasty surprises.

markcuk
18-03-2012, 17:02
I agree 2gb is fine to run windows 7 also depends if the laptop can run 64bit also

delderek
18-03-2012, 17:54
I agree 2gb is fine to run windows 7 also depends if the laptop can run 64bit also

That is a little bit at odds of many of the info sites on win7. And you now have a problem to find any new computer that has only 2mb, because it really is not enough. especially if you want to play around with graphics, video editing etc.

markcuk
18-03-2012, 18:10
But we are not talking about a new computer are we?

If I was buying a new one I would look for 4-6gb ram but what I am saying it will run fine on 2gb.

delderek
18-03-2012, 18:12
But we are not talking about a new computer are we?

If I was buying a new one I would look for 4-6gb ram but what I am saying it will run fine on 2gb.

So why have 4 or 6mb if it is not needed.?

markcuk
18-03-2012, 18:23
Because I need to run virtual machines and that needs more ram!! and those are my needs

delderek
18-03-2012, 19:34
Sorry going to to agree to disagree on this one. I have a laptop on win7 with 2mb, and one with 4mb. Both useable but the 4mb makes a world of difference.