PDA

View Full Version : Business Chat New business ideas anyone?

kangnkodos
19-03-2012, 19:02
does anyone have any serious suggestions for a new business venture that we think this island really needs.........i have been running a decent business here for almost 10 years now but i yearn for a new challenge.come on my fellow brits.......dig deep,i promise to remember you all when i make me first tenner.

tonypub
19-03-2012, 21:15
make a load of rubbish n write on it with a pen,then put it on tenerife flog it facebook group for silly dollor,or buy loadsa cheap gear from poundland n sell it for 4 times the cost on tenerife flogg it.

Greg
19-03-2012, 22:27
Start up a new Cola distribution company to rival Pepsi and Coke. They have such a monopoly with such very poor service that I would imagine the first company to offer a similar product with more competitive product prices and customer service would have bars, restaurants and hotels flocking to sign up.

Simon-M
19-03-2012, 23:07
Invent a new wheel. The old design is crying out for an update.

cainaries
19-03-2012, 23:21
Open a lifeguard training school ... looks like quite a few might need some.

primrose
19-03-2012, 23:39
Open a Morrisons Store.--I wish.

poker
19-03-2012, 23:42
Build residential appartments and houses very cheap financed by banks and sell them for lots of money.
Tell the buyers they can rent them out to tourists and pay the bank back in no time .

Sent using Tapatalk.

CIM
20-03-2012, 00:35
A shoe shop with one of those foot measuring machines for kids.
Something similar to Clarkes.

bainzy
21-03-2012, 16:19
An advisory service including accountancy and legal department to offer anyone who wants to rid themselves of any tax issues that have been niggling them, it might be small or huge but you offer the route of the least possible damage to your client.

Anyone who rents apartments for whatever reason know that the authorities have them in their target so it's, painful as it may be, better to bite the bullet...

Spain, Tenerife included, are financially in the 'doo doo' and the revenue collection authorities have to enforce everything they can, I can see in the long term the only long term Brits on the island left, play by island rules and pay the taxes required to live here, those that don't will be fined or repo'ed out or both...

This article, although it advertises a legal firm and is biased, does lay down the law as much as I found out independently http://decottamckennaysantafe.typepad.com/decottalaw/2012/01/spanish-property-tax-warning-the-tax-office-is-looking-for-you.html

I think now is a wonderful time to help anyone with any fears to take the route that would hurt LESS to bring EVERYTHING up to date...

I can see 1000s wanting the service, many you may find have been putting the day off and now are a bit afraid of coming in but are aware that if they risk not getting up to date they could be hit with huge fines, they could also be hit with huge fines for coming in to, the service to offer would be the less aggressive one, financially, legally etc etc..

I'd consider it...

I bet everyone would want a 'Health Check' to see if they were 'spot on' thats a nice service

MartinGoodyer
04-04-2012, 01:01
It's about time someone opened a 'Starbucks' style coffee take away in a high volume tourist area. It may be charming that the islands have their own Spanish coffee culture but many of the millions of tourists have been conditioned by the big coffee brands to drink huge quantities of syrup laden milky stuff for about 4 euros a go! It has to be an awful lot easier than trying to open yet another karaoke bar! Lol

slodgedad
04-04-2012, 01:06
It's about time someone opened a 'Starbucks' style coffee take away in a high volume tourist area. It may be charming that the islands have their own Spanish coffee culture but many of the millions of tourists have been conditioned by the big coffee brands to drink huge quantities of syrup laden milky stuff for about 4 euros a go! It has to be an awful lot easier than trying to open yet another karaoke bar! Lol

I disagree, when you can already buy, in my opinion, better coffee here already for a third of the price as the UK.

CIM
04-04-2012, 01:32
I am keeping a close eye on a new service in Spain which I think could be a big hit - very helpful to the target market and a new slant on a very old market. If it works out I may well give it a go here in Tenerife.

cheery
04-04-2012, 05:56
I disagree, when you can already buy, in my opinion, better coffee here already for a third of the price as the UK.

Couldn't agree more with you. Some of the coffee shops in the UK are terrible, Starbucks in particular. If anyone thinks syrup in coffee is a good idea then you are absolutely mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxgv4QtKM8

MartinGoodyer
04-04-2012, 09:07
The reality is that coffee presented as the likes of Starbucks do IS a worldwide business success. It really doesn't matter if local personal preference is for tiny cups of coffee when the outside world is buying something else. Personally I think McDonalds and Burger King are terrible but that doesn't mean they aren't financially successful as providers of meat and fish sandwiches! The issue is not personal preference but the facts around visitor purchasing decisions. It's amazing back in the UK that even in 'depressed' retail environments the likes of Starbucks and Costa thrive. Those same people that make those units a success are the ones holidaying here.
...anyway, the proof will be in the pudding - I have no doubt that sometime soon more franchises will make their way here - including coffee!

tonypub
04-04-2012, 09:17
british people are creatures of habit and they love there brands.

doreen
04-04-2012, 09:20
The reality is that coffee presented as the likes of Starbucks do IS a worldwide business success. It really doesn't matter if local personal preference is for tiny cups of coffee when the outside world is buying something else. Personally I think McDonalds and Burger King are terrible but that doesn't mean they aren't financially successful as providers of meat and fish sandwiches! The issue is not personal preference but the facts around visitor purchasing decisions. It's amazing back in the UK that even in 'depressed' retail environments the likes of Starbucks and Costa thrive. Those same people that make those units a success are the ones holidaying here.
...anyway, the proof will be in the pudding - I have no doubt that sometime soon more franchises will make their way here - including coffee!

Some very well established businessmen (Canarian) approached Starbucks two years ago ... they refused to allow the franchise be set up in the Canaries - didn't think the market was right :)

bonitatime
04-04-2012, 09:37
The rights for Spain for Starbucks are owned by VIPs a big mainland chain and therefore any negotiation for the islands would need to go to them. Friends of mine looked into it for a shop in Santa Cruz but the numbers didn't add up.

www.soydeltete.es

blackzed
04-04-2012, 10:15
How about .... a venue for real musicians, playing real instruments, singing real songs as they are ! No wigs, funny costumes or wanna be karoke/tribute ..... err i say acts lightly.
That would be unique in Tenerife

canarybird
04-04-2012, 10:31
Start a pie-making service, supplying bars, restaurants and selling privately from a stall or to order.

I love pie and make my own, but have never seen a real pie here in a bakery. I'm thinking apple, blackberry, blueberry, pumpkin, rhubarb, lemon meringue (yum), peach.

What they sell here as apple pie are either those flat slices topped with a gooey jelly or a high, not too sweet type with something that is still not a pie pastry.

http://www.pbase.com/canarybird/image/90891374.jpg

PEACH PIE

http://www.pbase.com/canarybird/image/51086817.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/canarybird/image/51086814.jpg

APPLE PIE

These are what I miss being able to buy here. :)

Oh....and meat pies are good too!

Canarybird

Suej
04-04-2012, 11:39
Some very well established businessmen (Canarian) approached Starbucks two years ago ... they refused to allow the franchise be set up in the Canaries - didn't think the market was right :)

Hmmm! I'd be inclined to agree with that!

MartinGoodyer
04-04-2012, 11:44
Do you know if anyone has tried a non branded version - in other words everything but the brand? (In Seattle for example, home of Starbucks, there is a local brand that apart from the colours is a copycat)

Jelly Baby
04-04-2012, 11:50
Do you know if anyone has tried a non branded version - in other words everything but the brand? (In Seattle for example, home of Starbucks, there is a local brand that apart from the colours is a copycat)

I just don't see the point. Coffee over here is great. I feel sorry for tourists who maybe get a watered down cup at a hugely inflated price but there are loads of places where you will get a cafe con leche en vaso grande (like a latte in a tall glass) for 1.20. You couldn“t pay me to drink a Starbucks equivalent that will be two thirds foam for nearly 5 euros.

mossy
04-04-2012, 12:47
KFC is nowhere to be seen which is a very big surprise.

atlantico
04-04-2012, 12:52
nor is Dominos Pizza

Zara
04-04-2012, 13:38
Start a pie-making service, supplying bars, restaurants and selling privately from a stall or to order.

I love pie and make my own, but have never seen a real pie here in a bakery. I'm thinking apple, blackberry, blueberry, pumpkin, rhubarb, lemon meringue (yum), peach.

What they sell here as apple pie are either those flat slices topped with a gooey jelly or a high, not too sweet type with something that is still not a pie pastry.

Here in the south Superior Foods do a pretty good fruit pie, Apple or Apple and Blackcurrant
2770 2771

Of course they are not as good as homemade, nothing shop bought could possibly be but they are pretty good if you can“t cook or are feeling a bit lazy.

They also do scones 2772

tracy hampshire
04-04-2012, 14:00
Hot roast sandwiches, when i go home, i always pop into york, theres a lovely sandwich shop that does sandwiches, beef, pork, turkey, or chicken, with the trimmings, to take away, always packed with people, hog roast type of thing, that would be nice here, seeing more & more people eating in the street & less sat in retaurants eating .

tonypub
04-04-2012, 14:28
food and drink wise,you will be competing with hotels that give it away free(ALL INC).A Tough deal to beat whatever you offer

canarybird
04-04-2012, 14:40
I wasn't thinking about people who are in hotels so much as residents and self-catering apartment people who buy food to take home.

I remember an English lady in Ibiza who had a small business just making pies....meat and fruit pies. She had a little van with racks installed and took orders from the local people working in offices and shops as well as bars and restaurants. And probably some hotels as well. She would have a set day when she would visit my place of work ....the staff knew the "pie lady" would arrive so they could buy on the spot or order their pies for the following week. People would also congregate around her van when they saw it parked in the street while she made deliveries. It seemed to be a good business at that time and place.

MartinGoodyer
04-04-2012, 17:23
With all due respect the Starbucks style offer is much better than you describe! More importantly they offer a choice of milk including soya plus a whole host of flavourings - none of which are available here. At home I'm happy to pay my £3+ for a very large 3 shot soya latte served wet (no foam) but don't have a hope in hades getting one here. I know I'm not alone simply because of the popularity of the products throughout most of northern Europe (and of course North America). ...just saying!

CIM
04-04-2012, 18:16
I think a Starbucks or Starbucks clone would do well here in a good area so as the rent wasnt extortionate. I think what a franchisee would need to think about is whether they want to open in Spanish town and target the locals or open in a tourist area.

Another franchise which I like d the look of but know little about is the windscreen fixing. Man in a van with some magical solution that fixes cracks in windscreens. Something like this: http://www.superglass.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVfE6bX6SDY&feature=related

tonypub
04-04-2012, 18:42
With all due respect the Starbucks style offer is much better than you describe! More importantly they offer a choice of milk including soya plus a whole host of flavourings - none of which are available here. At home I'm happy to pay my £3+ for a very large 3 shot soya latte served wet (no foam) but don't have a hope in hades getting one here. I know I'm not alone simply because of the popularity of the products throughout most of northern Europe (and of course North America). ...just saying!18 years of serving coffee in tfs ive never been asked for a soya latte

Simon-M
04-04-2012, 18:45
18 years of serving coffee in tfs ive never been asked for a soya latte

Ah...but you have been asked for a frothy head :)

Zara
04-04-2012, 18:59
With all due respect the Starbucks style offer is much better than you describe! More importantly they offer a choice of milk including soya plus a whole host of flavourings - none of which are available here. At home I'm happy to pay my £3+ for a very large 3 shot soya latte served wet (no foam) but don't have a hope in hades getting one here. I know I'm not alone simply because of the popularity of the products throughout most of northern Europe (and of course North America). ...just saying!

I think the popularity is down to saturating the market, http://g.co/maps/g8agc they are on almost every street corner. It is certainly not down to the taste and quality of the coffee - I have been going to America since 1975 and have yet to find anyone who knows how to make a decent cup of coffee, but they certainly know how to do marketing. :)

doreen
04-04-2012, 19:09

New Juice Bar/Cafe Vitaminas opposite the Playa Las Americas Police Station also offers Soy, Skimmed and Lactose Free Milk (Disclosure - it's my business :))

sunseeker
04-04-2012, 21:11
New Juice Bar/Cafe Vitaminas opposite the Playa Las Americas Police Station also offers Soy, Skimmed and Lactose Free Milk (Disclosure - it's my business :))

hasnt vitaminas been there ages?

doreen
04-04-2012, 21:18
hasnt vitaminas been there ages?

Yes, but changed hands a few months ago and now completely redone and new Juices, Protein drinks etc. Interesting that guy who works for me set it up many years ago, sold on and now had the chance to update the whole concept :)

sunseeker
04-04-2012, 21:23
good luck :)

MartinGoodyer
04-04-2012, 21:29
New Juice Bar/Cafe Vitaminas opposite the Playa Las Americas Police Station also offers Soy, Skimmed and Lactose Free Milk (Disclosure - it's my business :)) Great! I will come and find you... Do you have big take away cups too?

Added after 3 minutes:

18 years of serving coffee in tfs ive never been asked for a soya latte Times they are a changin' - although to be fair when I know the answer is always going to be 'no', I don't bother asking so not really surprised you are not asked. Who knows, this choice thing might actually catch on!

doreen
04-04-2012, 21:34
Great! I will come and find you... Do you have big take away cups too?

Not yet - no demand :lol: I'll see what I can do :)

Jelly Baby
04-04-2012, 21:37

I would never put “Starbucks” and “style” in the same sentence. It’s a grossly over-priced product, as are the assortment of various brownies and biscuit type offerings. For the cost of one “Starbucks” I can get two lovely coffees here – either in a glass if I want to sit in or a Styrofoam cup if I want a take out.

I appreciate the popularity of Starbucks and their presence in many countries. However, as a seasoned traveller I always prefer to support an independent coffee shop rather than endure the “Starbucks experience”.

Added after 2 minutes:

Yes, but changed hands a few months ago and now completely redone and new Juices, Protein drinks etc. Interesting that guy who works for me set it up many years ago, sold on and now had the chance to update the whole concept :)

Sounds great Doreen I will be in this week!

MartinGoodyer
04-04-2012, 22:00
Not yet - no demand :lol: I'll see what I can do :) You never know what might happen when you make something like that available...might even catch on! Btw I met with a new client down at Golf del Sur last week and his biggest gripe about day to day business living here was not getting his 'bucket' of latte for breakfast. Not sure where he drives in from but I will let him know about your place :)

Added after 3 minutes:

Just an aside - I did post a new thread about business training needs, to which there have been no responses. Oh wise ones who've been around the forum for a while - does that mean that there really aren't any or just that no one has found the thread?

CIM
04-04-2012, 23:28
Just an aside - I did post a new thread about business training needs, to which there have been no responses. Oh wise ones who've been around the forum for a while - does that mean that there really aren't any or just that no one has found the thread?

Probably both. Not a lot of people will have read the thread (Can you post a link?) I see a lot of businesses tend to rest on their laurels once they have a stable income and have little interest in correctly training staff or improving their own skill sets. Qualifications and experience count for little here and often you can spend enough time around someone and their business that you can actually see it declining before your very eyes but they just dont want to hear it.

tonypub
04-04-2012, 23:36
Added after 3 minutes:

Just an aside - I did post a new thread about business training needs, to which there have been no responses. Oh wise ones who've been around the forum for a while - does that mean that there really aren't any or just that no one has found the thread?we havnt found your thread martin,bet you cant find it either:wink:

Probably both. Not a lot of people will have read the thread (Can you post a link?) I see a lot of businesses tend to rest on their laurels once they have a stable income and have little interest in correctly training staff or improving their own skill sets. Qualifications and experience count for little here and often you can spend enough time around someone and their business that you can actually see it declining before your very eyes but they just dont want to hear it.a business advisor

MartinGoodyer
04-04-2012, 23:52
we havnt found your thread martin,bet you cant find it either:wink:

a business advisor hmmm it seems to have gone??? Is that normal for the forum?...censorship or something?

doreen
05-04-2012, 00:05
hmmm it seems to have gone??? Is that normal for the forum?...censorship or something?

Think it was your first post and it had a link to a business, which is frowned on as advertising ... after 15 posts or so (?), you can add a signature.

MartinGoodyer
05-04-2012, 00:58
Ah OK!
I wasn't advertising! Just asking:)
Is there a business forum that you know of other than this?