PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork Do you have to physically register a 'dangerous' dog in Tenerife?

slodgedad
19-03-2012, 22:13
I have heard conflicting stories on this.

Is it sufficient to have your dog chipped and passported or do you have to go the extra step and actually go and register it at the town hall?

We have a Staffordshire Bull who is chipped, vaccinated, registered with a vet, passported etc. etc. so is this sufficient?

Been hearing tales about owners being fined for not registering with the Ayuntamiento.

I was always under the impression that it was done automatically but am now having my doubts.

cainaries
19-03-2012, 23:26
Thanks for starting this thread. Our neighbours told us we needed something like an 'insurance book' for our dog (very small dog) which needed to be registered at the Ayuntamiento. When OH explained we had all the papers mentioned by Slodgedad, the neighbour backed down and said he thought that was enough. So now we just don't know.

cinnamon
19-03-2012, 23:31
You have to go to the registro municipal with all your documents to get your dog registered since the staffordshire bull is also considered as "potentially dangerous". best is to go to your townhall and they will point you into the right direction.

slodgedad
20-03-2012, 00:24
Thanks for starting this thread. Our neighbours told us we needed something like an 'insurance book' for our dog (very small dog) which needed to be registered at the Ayuntamiento. When OH explained we had all the papers mentioned by Slodgedad, the neighbour backed down and said he thought that was enough. So now we just don't know.

AARGH. Something else. Anyone know what this is and is it obligatory? (I'm sounding a bit thick I know) but I like to be as legal as Tenerife allows me to be.

cinnamon
20-03-2012, 00:40
any "potentially dangerous" dog unfortunately must

-wear a muzzle when outside
-use a non-extendable lead of two metres when outside
-be tied up even on private property if it is not fully enclosed
-be registered at the local town hall and properly licenced
-be covered by public liability insurance taken out by its owner to a minimum of €120,000. proof of licence and insurance must be carried whenever the dog is on public land
you are legally not allowed to own a "potentially dangerous" dog if you fall into the following categories:

you are a minor (under 18 years)
you have a criminal record
you are not deemed to be of sound mind or body
different ayuntamientos may interpret these laws slightly differently, so it's always best to check with them, just to make sure.

hope that helps....

TIS
20-03-2012, 00:46
You have to go to the registro municipal with all your documents to get your dog registered since the staffordshire bull is also considered as "potentially dangerous". best is to go to your townhall and they will point you into the right direction.
And you should ahve Public Liability Insurance for the dog, which can be done as an addition to our house policies for 25€ per annum.

Give us a call if you need more details.... http://www.tenerifeinsurance.biz

slodgedad
20-03-2012, 00:54
And you should ahve Public Liability Insurance for the dog, which can be done as an addition to our house policies for 25€ per annum.

Give us a call if you need more details.... http://www.tenerifeinsurance.biz

But how much is it if I don't have a house policy with you?

TIS
20-03-2012, 01:06
But how much is it if I don't have a house policy with you?

Public Liability
1. Dangerous Dogs and/or dogs over 25kg in weight
* 500,000 € - 175 € per annum
* 1,000,000 € - 200 € per annum
2. Non-dangerous Dogs
* 500,000 € - 132.50 € per annum
* 1,000,000 € - 159.00 € per annum

anegib
20-03-2012, 11:27
This is an excellent reply to your question. I had to go through all this rigmarole for my dog even though he lives on a finca.

timmylish
20-03-2012, 12:33
Interesting what different opinions there are of dog owning "regulations". I had always thought that a dog, outwith the "Dangerous Dog" set, do not need registering with the local authority. Be interested to know the real answer. Goldenamaniac, where are you?
Anyway, on that subject I have to say that I worry terribly about the ever increasing number of dogs withing the "Dangerous Dog" set who are not properly fitted out with muzzle and under proper control, ie not a leash. On at least three occasions this year I have had to take evasive action in escaping possible attacks on my two wee Yorkies. I always walk my two and worry that should it be necessary for Mrs. T. to take them out she may not be so aware of possible attacks. Its all very well saying "phone the polis" but that,s not practical at the times these events occur.

casabonny
20-03-2012, 14:56
All dogs have to be registered at your local town hall, regardless of whether they are classed as dangerous or not.
You need to go top the Sanitation depatment with the dogs passport and your own passport and residencia ( plus copies of course ) and registration is simple and straight forward.I also took my insurance but they merely looked at that.I have a Doberman and a Pyranees Mastin.If you move address out of a municipality you must de register in one town hall and then re - register in the new one, showing the baja to the new town hall.
Mapfre do a policy for Dangerous dogs at a much cheaper premium than TIS has quoted and you are not required to have any other insurance with them.Any mapfre office can help or you may now be able to do it online.My renewal this year is 117 euros.
If the dog is not classed as Dangerous , a lot of Insurers will cover " domestic pets" but its always adviseable to tell the Insurer about the dog and provide them with a copy of the dog passport , they may not want this but some do.
I have been stopped by the Guardia leaving my house and asked to produce papers ( which I might add are far too bulky to carry with me ) and all ( of course) was in order and we proceeded with our walk.
There has however been cases in our area , last year , where the Guardia have fined people for not having a dog on a lead.We are all aware of the laws but if a person is able to control a dog without a lead then I personally do not see a problem.
My dogs are walked on a lead until we reach a field and then let off but they are amenable and we know which dogs dont get on, as do other owners and act accordingly.
I hope this helps

amanda
21-03-2012, 09:25
ive got a beautiful presa boxer was attacked by a pit owner said no lead as was friendly i ask please put a lead on your dog two people to pull the dog off of mine thought she was going to die with shock phoned police answer have to catch them in action, yeah right he just went off blaming my lovely

cainaries
21-03-2012, 21:36
Thanks to everyone for so much helpful information. Just what a Forum is for, I would say! I have just told OH we need to tell our insurer we've got a dog and he was very surprised so this is all really helpful and may have saved us a lot of grief.

And, of course, there are all the rules about taking the dog out in the car ...... we've decided it's easier to leave ours at home, she seems perfectly happy and we are never out for long.

Suej
22-03-2012, 15:33
Interesting what different opinions there are of dog owning "regulations". I had always thought that a dog, outwith the "Dangerous Dog" set, do not need registering with the local authority. Be interested to know the real answer. Goldenamaniac, where are you?
Anyway, on that subject I have to say that I worry terribly about the ever increasing number of dogs withing the "Dangerous Dog" set who are not properly fitted out with muzzle and under proper control, ie not a leash. On at least three occasions this year I have had to take evasive action in escaping possible attacks on my two wee Yorkies. I always walk my two and worry that should it be necessary for Mrs. T. to take them out she may not be so aware of possible attacks. Its all very well saying "phone the polis" but that,s not practical at the times these events occur.

I think you are right Timmy! lots of bureaucracy and red tape...but very little action or support when it comes down to it! Shame on the councils and the Police!:(

angeldrawers
22-03-2012, 15:55
Sorry but what are the rules re dogs in cars ?

cainaries
22-03-2012, 16:01
Sorry but what are the rules re dogs in cars ?

They have to be secured so that are not flying around loose, distracting the driver or causing an accident. I don't know the exact rules but a friend of mine had her large dog loose in her car whilst parked and got fined €200. I've been hoping someone will come on here and clarify as it may depend on size and weight of dog. To date we have been taking our small puppy out in a cat box but she's seriously dischuffed with this arrangement.

casabonny
22-03-2012, 16:13
I cannot quote chapter and verse of the law but I do know that by law all dogs must be restrained in a car either with a harness that can be plugged in to the seatbelt or they must be behind a dog guard.They should never be in the front of the car .
I will see if I can find the specific law on this ( proabably on the DGT site ) and if so will post a link.

cainaries
22-03-2012, 17:25
I cannot quote chapter and verse of the law but I do know that by law all dogs must be restrained in a car either with a harness that can be plugged in to the seatbelt or they must be behind a dog guard.They should never be in the front of the car .
I will see if I can find the specific law on this ( proabably on the DGT site ) and if so will post a link.

Thanks so much, that would be great. There are of course lots of dogs in the back of pick-up trucks here but obviously they shouldn't distract the driver from there.

casabonny
22-03-2012, 18:25
No.They are normally in a cage so thats "fine" .Cruel in my opinion as they are often packed in like sardines.
Had a quick look on DGt but couldnt find anything will have a more in depth look when I have more time or will ask in Trafico.

cainaries
23-03-2012, 00:55
No.They are normally in a cage so thats "fine" .Cruel in my opinion as they are often packed in like sardines.
Had a quick look on DGt but couldnt find anything will have a more in depth look when I have more time or will ask in Trafico.

Yup, fine for the driver, hell for the dogs, so, yup, fine.

slodgedad
23-03-2012, 01:35
Yup, fine for the driver, hell for the dogs, so, yup, fine.

I agree about the cages but it's true the dog has to be restrained in the car.

We have a short dog lead with a plug in for seat belt which attaches to the harness or collar.

Wouldn't protect the dog much in the event of a serious accident but would protect the passengers from 25 kilos of flying flesh.

I know this sounds cruel but how else are you going to get a dog to put a seat belt on?

angeldrawers
23-03-2012, 09:38
good job i found out about this as mine always sits on my lap, she is only 8kg though.Does it matter how big they are ?

longtallalice
23-03-2012, 17:16
Hi makes no difference how big they are still have to be retrained with a dog seatbelt , and larger dogs I think have to be in boot behind a cage , will try and find out know I have read it somewhere official

cainaries
23-03-2012, 20:52
I agree about the cages but it's true the dog has to be restrained in the car.

We have a short dog lead with a plug in for seat belt which attaches to the harness or collar.

Wouldn't protect the dog much in the event of a serious accident but would protect the passengers from 25 kilos of flying flesh.

I know this sounds cruel but how else are you going to get a dog to put a seat belt on?

Completely agree with you . You don't happen to know what the 'plug in' is called in Spanish, do you, as I can't convince OH we have to do this.

timmylish
24-03-2012, 03:22
Buckle and release "push" button?

carpenter
01-07-2012, 14:02
Public Liability
1. Dangerous Dogs and/or dogs over 25kg in weight
* 500,000 € - 175 € per annum
* 1,000,000 € - 200 € per annum
2. Non-dangerous Dogs
* 500,000 € - 132.50 € per annum
* 1,000,000 € - 159.00 € per annum

Does this insurance cover vet bills as well?
How much for 2 Dangerous dogs over 20KG and 2 non dangerous over 20 kgs

4 dogs in total. Thanks

Suej
01-07-2012, 14:18

I have also seen just outside our complex a guy with staffie off the lead and not muzzled another dog owner neighbour told him that he must comply with the law of lead and muzzle but that fell on deaf ears. Problem is the Police have to witness the breach before they can do anything!