PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Jobs

rachel
20-03-2012, 19:00
Hi I am a 23 year old female currently living in the UK. Me and a friend are moving to Tenerife at the beginning of May and are looking for jobs. Not really fussy what they are, we have waitressing, bar and retail experience in the UK. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony the Welder
21-03-2012, 14:06
hi rachel please think before you leap tenerife is a beutifull place there are jobs available but there is a lot of people looking for work as well if you do not have the finenances to support your selfs for a for a set period of time have a nice holiday see what is available and then decide just now there is a few tour compinse wanting reps at the airport and afew bar jobs in pdl but here today gone tomorow ie in may no one knows good luck

Lennie
24-03-2012, 20:19
Hi there.

As the last poster commented you need to think VERY carefully before coming here on a whim, there are jobs available but there are also quite a few people looking for work. There are plenty of PR jobs but salaries are low and if you are working on commission it is likely that you can work a full day and only have a couple of Euros to show for it - this can be very disheartening, not to mention worrying if you don't have a large sum of cash to tide you over.

My boyfriend and I came here at the end of January. To get an apartment we had to pay 3 months rent, plus a deposit of one month, upfront in cash as we did not yet have jobs. This was just over €2000 and our agent waived the fee of €150 which would have been on top of that. You can find an apartment from €300 upwards but if you don't have a car you'll be looking at apartments nearer the seafront which are usually around €450 upwards. If you speak Spanish you might be able to get a better deal as you can negotiate with the owner directly. My boyfriend has not yet got a job, I have a sales job but am regularly using my savings as I am not earning enough to break even.

You might be able to find bar work or PR work and there are a load of sales jobs but the job market here is pretty limited beyond that. Unless you speak fluent spanish, retail is unlikely. There is an Iceland store here which hires mainly Brits, you can find them online at www.overseas.es so you could try there. Apparently they pay a fairly decent salary too. Don't take a job that doesn't offer you a contract. I have heard of a number of operations here who have not paid their staff on time, and some who didn't pay them at all.

I am not trying to put you off in any way but if you are planning to come here you need to have enough money to see you through the first few months. I would suggest you don't come with any less than £2000 each.

Feel free to email me if you need any more information.