PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Can anyone recommend a dog trainer in Tenerife?

David Matthews
22-03-2012, 15:50
Hi does anyone know of someone who deals with training dogs? Our dog just loves to bark, she has small dog syndrome I think. We donīt want to use a training collar really but would like to seek some advice????

vanesahuge
31-08-2012, 08:06
I often leave the task of dog training to the dog boarding kennels. They do the job very good.

Megaloo
31-08-2012, 09:11
Long way to go from Tenerife :confused:

carpenter
03-09-2012, 12:46
Hi does anyone know of someone who deals with training dogs? Our dog just loves to bark, she has small dog syndrome I think. We donīt want to use a training collar really but would like to seek some advice????

Don't know if you ever got sorted on this as it's an old post but there are a few things you can try.
Often it is not the dog but the owner that is at fault.

When your dog barks what do you do?
Never pick it up or make a fuss of it and definitely never give it a treat to silence it as it has won the day and nothing has been gained.

Dogs always respond better to a firm controlled voice rather than a whisper or shout, tell them no.

Before you go down the expensive route of a training collar (which sometimes are the only option if your dog barks when you're not at home) then there are a couple of other discipline techniques you can use.

1 is a water pistol
2 is a rattle made from a small plastic bottle with some stones inside.

Both of these work well with a stern NO! Dogs are never as stupid as they seem.

If your dog barks when someone rings the doorbell. Make your dog wait at a reasonable distance before opening the door and reward.

Citronella spray collars work very well for when you're not at home as the smell of the citronella when you enter the house will tell you if your dog has been barking in your absence. Over time the smell should become weaker and eventually disappear.

A dog trainer will tell you what you already know, it's common sense at the end of the day. There is no quick fix it's only routine that will win the day.