PDA

View Full Version : Why be negative about employment in Tenerife?

MummyJ
22-03-2012, 17:38
just a general thought

when we see someone advertising they are moving over and looking for work , people seem to jump on the thread and say how bad it is here at the moment

I personally think it is no different to 5 years ago and if we keep slagging our little island off will it not put people off coming here who visit the forum on a regular basis!!!!!

just a personal opinion

not having a go at anyone personally

Greg
22-03-2012, 20:45
I don't think it is negativity about the island exactly, I think the general posts show the island in a good light. However I think that those that live here would be very remiss if we didn't highlight the difficulties in earning a decent living here. If you come here not being able to speak Spanish what are you going to do for a living? PR for a bar? Waiter or barman? (if you are lucky) Sell timeshare? There is over 30% unemployment here, if you have a good job in the UK why would you give it up to struggle along here? I'm repeating things that have been said before but many people (most?) cannot afford to live the same quality of life that a tourist enjoys after they have saved all year to be here. It's all very well spending 12€ for a couple of sunbeds on Duque beach, 100€ for lunch in the Mirador then another 100€ for dinner in the Safari Center. Paradise indeed. Then you get a job in our paradise and earn 100€ a day. (If you are lucky) Living in rented accommodation outside of the resorts, driving a car you wouldn't be seen dead in the UK. It's all very well if you are 20 years old but I could name literally dozens of people that have left Tenerife for better jobs and quality of life. Sunshine isn't everything! Negativity? Nope, reality. Life for most here is hard.

CIM
22-03-2012, 21:35
Its just giving people a dose of reality - which is what a lot of them need. My sister is wrapped up in the idea of doing it - her, her husband and two kids. Would it work? No chance.... But people dont look at the downside, they only look at the positive, gloss over any negatives and then arrive all guns blazing without a hope in hell of surviving here.
The fall out from this can be financial ruin, stress beyond belief, ill health and separation/divorce. People need to get a balanced view of how difficult it is here.

As Greg mentions, its lovely when you are on holiday with plenty of money to spend and you can really enjoy the place but it a far cry this when you realise the only job you can get pays 800€ a month or is some commission only scam. You only need to look at the jobs board to see the tat on offer. Quite a few of the same companies advertising over and over again as they churn their way through hopeful applicants, all eager but all for the most part doomed to simply not earn a decent crust.

Jelly Baby
22-03-2012, 23:23
just a general thought

when we see someone advertising they are moving over and looking for work , people seem to jump on the thread and say how bad it is here at the moment

I personally think it is no different to 5 years ago and if we keep slagging our little island off will it not put people off coming here who visit the forum on a regular basis!!!!!

just a personal opinion

not having a go at anyone personally

I've stated on an "I'm moving to Tenerife" thread that someone may want to have a re-think. 30% plus unemployment is well documented, as is people who have been on the paro now receiving no benefit money.

I have had people knocking on my front door asking if I can give them money as they have nothing to feed their families.

People state they work in, say, engineering and hope to do the same Tenerife. The opportunity to do so doesn't exist here!

We hear people say "I am a hard worker" but without a job to go to, how is that possible? I've known plenty of people who work hard but have still lost their jobs because the company can't afford to keep them on.

I have just lost a chunk of my freelance work because the family I work with are returning to their homeland and I will lose another chunk when another family I work with move in the summer. My outgoings haven't changed; my children still need food and clothing and are still growing.

This is a beautiful island with a wonderful climate and I never, ever "slag" it off. But no matter how fabulous it is, and how much I would love others to experience living here, none of us can get by on fresh air alone.

emmalu
22-03-2012, 23:23
All I can say, is that Tenerife, may seem a dream to many singles, couples or families, but unless they have some money saved up and a good job to come to, you are just heading for disaster. Maybe there are people who have come here with nothing in the world and now are living a decent life here on the island, but I am sure that for the majority it's not like that at all.
My husband is from here, he is a nurse and life is very difficult. I was born in Spain so speak Spanish fluently. The jobs here are terrible, and as past forum members have said, how can you manage on a 800 euro income for example?? We are a family of three, luckily my husband is working at the hospital, but wages have come down due to all the political changes.
Our reality is, we will probably be going to the UK, there is much more help with everything ( especially for families, here there is nothing). We love the sun, the beach and the good life, that is what we have both been used since we were children, but reality is, if you haven't got a good job to come to, with a decent income, you probably will end up in a worse situation than you where already in...

slodgedad
23-03-2012, 01:53
I agree with most of the comments here but disagree with the negativity mentioned in the thread title.

Most of the comments I have read are giving a realistic impression of what it is really like.

I am now in my 18th year here and to say things are hunky dory would be a lie.

I did give a good living before, if you were a worker (not a retiree) but personally I am earning less than I was in 1994.

Admittedly I had a good job for years but whichever job you end up in, if you can get one, the wages have in no way kept up with the cost of living.

I don't mean a slight drop, as in the UK, but a major drop in the average worker's standard of living.

The good old days where you could move here and do 40 hours and go out on the town have long gone.

timmylish
23-03-2012, 02:43
Well, as a permanent resident here for some 23 years now, I feel am in as good a position to comment, in general, way on the question put. As with the majority of the posters on this thread I will categorically state, here and now, times on this wonderful place to live are without doubt terrible. Worse than I have experienced so to say that its no different to some 5 years ago is totally wrong, imho of course. However, saying that, there will be families who can come here to live whilst working from home, using internet services, for example. As recently as the back end of last year I still felt that there would be exceptions to the norm. However, seeing what has happened since then has shattered my view and I,m holding my hands up to that admission. It makes me so sad to see my own Countrymen(women) suffer as they are but also have sympathy with the many, honest hard working Canarians who just cannot comprehend what is happening to their homeland which, only 10 years ago was so buoyant and bursting with life. Because of many mistakes made by successive Spanish Governments the whole country is virtually bankrupt with no industry or other commerce available to pull the country out of the mire. Here in the Canaries for all sorts of reasons known to most of us the situation is worse than on the Peninsula so that must surely be obvious to even the most rose-tinted ex-pats (or wantobe,s) but apparently not, as shown by the regular flow of threads seeking information on moving here with 2 & 3 kids with no real money, no knowledge of the language or culture. We are a country still being run as a political institution for the few rich families who own just about everything in Spain. Spain has never had to go thru' a sort of "Industrial Revolution" because it has had little in the way of "industry" other than agriculture and tourism (and that,s only in the last 35 to 45 years). So, what will save this country? Well I did write recently that there was some evidence of oil resources close to the Canary Islands (as usual I was scoffed at) and the Spanish telly has been reporting something similar in the last few days. So, with even that possibility, the future may hold out some hope, particularly here in the Canaries but, hey hold the bus, that,s years and years away. Anyone who can remember the oil finds in the North Sea will remember how long that took to get off the ground and basically saved the UK from certain bankruptcy.
Anyway, I thought it important to write at some length hoping that my message will be understood by proposed immigrants. STAY AT HOME IN THE UK OR ELSEWHERE. THERE IS A TRANSMITTABLE DISEASE CALLED FINANCIAL RUIN. DO NOT BECOME INFECTED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

slodgedad
23-03-2012, 02:57
Eloquently put, Timmy.

I enjoyed the 'rose tinted glasses' quote which, it seems, a lot seem to wear.

It's still one of the finest places on earth to holiday. Fabulous place to live.

But beware, if moving at this time, in the world's economic turmoil, to do your homework..

Balcony
23-03-2012, 10:20
Good luck to anyone who wants to make a move and search for their dream!

My only concern is that it becomes all too apparent how little research some seem to have undertaken. OK, the forum is a form of research, but often replies become 'opinion' rather than fact.

bern
23-03-2012, 10:36
Theres no employment here in Ireland........ but lots of rain and doom and gloom. We all need to show some positivity wherever we live. We are planning on moving too, its been our dream for many years ad we have been saving for that. We know what lies ahead and its no different from the way we are here in Ireland. Once you know what to expect then thats half the battle.Believe in your little Island! Things will get better they have too. The cost of living is far lower in Tenerife thatn in Ireland. We pay nearly five euros for a pint of lager here! I look out my sitting room window at rain and wind and cant afford to go to the bar for a pint. My average weekly shop for two adults and one teenager is usually €140 a week! Its a nightmare here but we encourage people to come to our little country. We need people to come and spend there money here, so does Tenerife.
I know that the wages in Tenerife are lower but so is the cost of living! I know where I would rather be!:welcome:

davship
23-03-2012, 10:38
Absoloutly brilliantly put Greg. A lot of people do think your beautiful island is ALL paradise. Your report gives people THE FACTS. I know quite a few people who have moved out there (most of them sorted employment before they went) and although they enjoyed it while they were there found it difficult to adjust to a lower standard of living than they were used to in the UK and of course the language problem. But this shouldnt discourage people (especially younger people with no ties to the UK) from trying but as you have said they must be aware that its not going to be one long holiday. I only wish i had been given the chance to learn spanish when i was at school because the locals appreciate you making the effort and dont belittle people if they get it wrong unlike the idiots in the uk who skit foreigners accent when they attempt english when they most likely dont speak ANY other language and most even have trouble with ENGLISH!!!!!!

Added after 5 minutes:

I wouldnt worry MummyJ, people need to make up there own minds by dipping there toe in the water and trying it out. I have found that most people on our wonderful forum will sift out the people who either dont know what they are talking about or are delibrately trying to discourage people form giving it a go. Gregs comment / report i feel is spot on.
Take care

golf birdie
23-03-2012, 11:07
Good luck to anyone who wants to make a move and search for their dream!

My only concern is that it becomes all too apparent how little research some seem to have undertaken. OK, the forum is a form of research, but often replies become 'opinion' rather than fact.

so, so correct. For example a couple of years back I got talking to a lad who that very day had signed for a bar. 30,000€ for the lease plus the expense of up grading the place. When he asked why I looked so shocked I told him the place had changed hands every year for the past 15 and IMO it could never work due to the location. He was adamant he was the one who would change all that. To cut it short, 2 years later I met him, broke and doing anything to survive here. He went back to the UK a few weeks later, wife and kids in tow.

He said to me '' I really wish I'd met you before I signed'' to which I replied ''would you of taken one bit of notice''? He admitted he would still of gone ahead. Scarey how some people can't see whats in front of them.

Sundowner
23-03-2012, 11:35
I think people who want to "live the dream" should give it a go!!
If we all waited for the perfect time no one would do anything!

Give it your best shot, do your research and have a plan "B" if it does not work out for you. It is better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all!!!

Tom & Sharon
23-03-2012, 12:22
I think people who want to "live the dream" should give it a go!!
If we all waited for the perfect time no one would do anything!

Give it your best shot, do your research and have a plan "B" if it does not work out for you. It is better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all!!!

But your location is London?

Have you ever lived/worked in Tenerife? If not, it is very hard to imagine or empathise with the the people who are scratching around for work and living on the breadline. As I've said on this forum many times, if I'd not witnessed it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it. Reading it on here whilst sitting in the UK is really not the same.

Many people say what you have just written, and it makes me cringe. Many people turn up without Plan A, let alone Plan B or C. There is not enough employment in Tenerife for everyone to have a Plan A. There are no Plan B's.

It can only be better to have tried and failed, if you are giving nothing up or leaving nothing behind to try. If you have a home, a decent job, children, a life, there's no way on this planet it is better for you to try and fail. If you give everything up in the UK, to lose it all in Tenerife and return with nothing, this is not likely to make you a better person, or enrich your life on any level.

You're quite likely to return totally disillusioned, skint and full of regret.

Suej
23-03-2012, 13:10
It seems a shame that when the benefits of staying in UK are pointed out they are sometimes taken as a direct attack on Tenerife? :doh:

duquessa
23-03-2012, 14:03
We have holidayed many times in Tenerife and know quite a few people who live there or who live their partly. These are mainly older people who have money behind them or have sold their house/business etc and have savings. I think its pretty obvious that unless you have money behind you, ora very good job, its impossible to live there. You have also got to be able to afford flights as well back and forth if you want to visit people..........

We know that unless we win the lotto or something then we will always be the holidaymaker that has to return home at the end of the break. We hope to keep coming though and are grateful for that. Living there is totally different ballgame we are well aware we cant even if we wanted too.

Sundowner
23-03-2012, 14:39
But your location is London?

Have you ever lived/worked in Tenerife? If not, it is very hard to imagine or empathise with the the people who are scratching around for work and living on the breadline. As I've said on this forum many times, if I'd not witnessed it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it. Reading it on here whilst sitting in the UK is really not the same.

Many people say what you have just written, and it makes me cringe. Many people turn up without Plan A, let alone Plan B or C. There is not enough employment in Tenerife for everyone to have a Plan A. There are no Plan B's.

It can only be better to have tried and failed, if you are giving nothing up or leaving nothing behind to try. If you have a home, a decent job, children, a life, there's no way on this planet it is better for you to try and fail. If you give everything up in the UK, to lose it all in Tenerife and return with nothing, this is not likely to make you a better person, or enrich your life on any level.

You're quite likely to return totally disillusioned, skint and full of regret.

Yes, my location is London and no I have never worked or lived in Tenerife. And I have no doubt that what you are saying is true!
But it does not make what I said untrue.

Correct me if I am wrong...........But did you and Tom not plan to work in Tenerife? I think you said that you tried 4 jobs and gave up and Tom had to take a job in the U.K. You are now going to follow your plan "B" and relocate to the U.K. IIRC you also said that you did not regret it.

You gave it a go and failed, but had a plan "B" Other people can do the same and maybe they will fail too......maybe not, but either way they will have tried.

A lot of what you say is true and people should be aware of the problems they will encounter..........and if they do their research, they will be prepared for them. But just remember that fear of failure is not a reason for not giving it a go!!!

Tom & Sharon
23-03-2012, 15:52
Yes, my location is London and no I have never worked or lived in Tenerife. And I have no doubt that what you are saying is true!
But it does not make what I said untrue.

Correct me if I am wrong...........But did you and Tom not plan to work in Tenerife? I think you said that you tried 4 jobs and gave up and Tom had to take a job in the U.K. You are now going to follow your plan "B" and relocate to the U.K. IIRC you also said that you did not regret it.

You gave it a go and failed, but had a plan "B" Other people can do the same and maybe they will fail too......maybe not, but either way they will have tried.

A lot of what you say is true and people should be aware of the problems they will encounter..........and if they do their research, they will be prepared for them. But just remember that fear of failure is not a reason for not giving it a go!!!

This should be on the other thread now?

You're kind of right in what you say, I did try 4 jobs, and did give them up because they are all rubbish. But I was in a position where I could just decide not to work. Most people aren't and have to put up with what they can get.

Tom didn't "give up", he never started. When we bought our apartment, yes it was what we had in mind, but at the time we were both working in the UK, and we'd never really looked into it that much. It's easy to say maybe you'll do it when you're sitting in the UK on a guaranteed salary, as probably you are doing now. Once Tom took voluntary redundancy, and suddenly the question of him working in Tenerife was maybe a reality, it took us about 2 seconds to realise it was a no-go. By the time he was made redundant, we had already had our apartment 12 months, and had met enough people in that time to know how bad the employment market/earnings potential was.

We had not given our lives up in the UK, we had not lost anything. We always knew that we could just keep our apartment as a holiday home. We wanted it anyway. We do consider Tenerife our main home, I spend 9/10 months of the year in Tenerife, and Tom 4/5 months. We are relocating in the UK as well to Kent, but that will be our 2nd home in our eyes. Over the next few years Tom may choose to work less and spend more time in Tenerife, his option.

I don't think our scenario is anything like most peoples. We are in the very fortunate position that we can run 2 homes, and that as well as working in a very lucrative industry, Tom has a public service pension which he gets in 10 months time, at the tender age of 50!

Now, if people are in that same situation, then yes, I agree with you, you can afford to give it a whirl. But for the most part, I don't believe people are. I think in the majority of cases it will have to be a choice - Tenerife or UK, not both. And that again (in the majority) is a choice of employment and security in the UK, and poor employers, poor wages and poor prospects in Tenerife. That's not negativity, it's reality.

golf birdie
23-03-2012, 15:58
This should be on the other thread now?

You're kind of right in what you say, I did try 4 jobs, and did give them up because they are all rubbish. But I was in a position where I could just decide not to work. Most people aren't and have to put up with what they can get.

its like my wife, she works because she wants to. If she lost her job tomorrow it would not really have an impact, maybe a meal out less often but it would not mean we had to start begging in the street. How many of the couples coming here could afford one if not both out of work ?

KirstyJay
23-03-2012, 16:20
How many of the couples coming here could afford one if not both out of work ?More's the point, how many couples that live here (native or expat) can afford one if not both out of work...? Not that many on a wage of 800€ a month when your rent or mortgage is 600€. That's really what people need to take into account. One wage is just for a roof over your head, unless you are in the lucky situation of not having to pay rent, or owning your house outright, which to most expats both current and prospective, is just not the case.

tonypub
23-03-2012, 16:45
rodeo is fab

Balcony
23-03-2012, 16:51
Adding to KirstyJay's comment I would add that anyone coming to Tenerife needs sufficient cash to finance their stay for at least, I would say, 6 months. If you're buying a place thats good, but remember, if the worst came to the worst selling again may be slow, or else you'd have to take quite a hit on the price. If renting you'd always be vulnerable if you failed to pay the rent. It's can be a quick slide into a homeless/vagrant situation, as you will probably not have the State to fall back on.....and, as been said in another post, don't expect any form of bail out from our consulate!

When buying remember that though council rates etc are much lower than in the UK you will probably need to pay community & water charges. You'll might wish to consider adequate health insurance also.

And most of all - language! I'd like a Ģ or €1.16 for the times I've heard people go to someone and complain because they don't speak English! You live there and need to communicate a whole lot better than a tourist.

Tom & Sharon
23-03-2012, 18:39
Adding to KirstyJay's comment I would add that anyone coming to Tenerife needs sufficient cash to finance their stay for at least, I would say, 6 months. If you're buying a place thats good, but remember, if the worst came to the worst selling again may be slow, or else you'd have to take quite a hit on the price. If renting you'd always be vulnerable if you failed to pay the rent. It's can be a quick slide into a homeless/vagrant situation, as you will probably not have the State to fall back on.....and, as been said in another post, don't expect any form of bail out from our consulate!

When buying remember that though council rates etc are much lower than in the UK you will probably need to pay community & water charges. You'll might wish to consider adequate health insurance also.

And most of all - language! I'd like a Ģ or €1.16 for the times I've heard people go to someone and complain because they don't speak English! You live there and need to communicate a whole lot better than a tourist.

I would say you're well under the mark with that. I can think of a few case where people have come with around Ģ30,000 in the bank thinking it's a fortune and a safety net.

They are all back in the UK and living in rented accommodation, starting again.

cainaries
23-03-2012, 20:24
Without wishing to stray a long way off topic..... where we are (which is more rural and smaller than Tenerife) ... most locals live in property they own and have inherited. So, they haven't had to buy it, they haven't got a mortgage and they aren't paying rent. So a salary of €800 a month (which costs the employer roughly double) isn't much but the roof over their head is already found. Is it different in Tenerife? Just a question, that's all. It might well be as it is a much bigger and more cosmopolitan place. The average take home pay here when we bought here in 2001 was €1,000 a month. If anything it has gone down but ALL the prices have gone way way up, especially electricity and water, never mind the weekly shop.

I often see people posting 'cost of living is cheaper in Tenerife' (than wherever they are) but what cost of living are they talking about? Just because you can drink more beers for a tenner in Tenerife than where you live now, don't judge all the cost of living on that.

hands up anyone who found the reality the same as their original dream? I love where I am but the life I'm living now is not as I imagined it before I came. The job I'd been promised never materialised and we ended up going down quite a different path to earn some money and this is a lot harder than the cushy office job I'd been expecting. I thought it would be easy to pick up Spanish but I still can't follow a conversation between two locals and if you can't do that, basically, you haven't mastered a language. Do I regret it? Most days not at all.

MummyJ
23-03-2012, 21:00
Its just giving people a dose of reality - which is what a lot of them need. My sister is wrapped up in the idea of doing it - her, her husband and two kids. Would it work? No chance.... But people dont look at the downside, they only look at the positive, gloss over any negatives and then arrive all guns blazing without a hope in hell of surviving here.
The fall out from this can be financial ruin, stress beyond belief, ill health and separation/divorce. People need to get a balanced view of how difficult it is here.

As Greg mentions, its lovely when you are on holiday with plenty of money to spend and you can really enjoy the place but it a far cry this when you realise the only job you can get pays 800€ a month or is some commission only scam. You only need to look at the jobs board to see the tat on offer. Quite a few of the same companies advertising over and over again as they churn their way through hopeful applicants, all eager but all for the most part doomed to simply not earn a decent crust.

Its hard no matter where you live, here we have a lower cost of survival hence the lower wages, im not working at the moment but i do know it was a lot tougher in england

caroletenerife
23-03-2012, 23:23
Just watched a baby die on comic relief for the sake of a 5 pound vaccine....our lot here is not that bad, even for us that are a wee bit skint.... I count my blessings.

Sundowner
23-03-2012, 23:43
I object............there seems to be an asumption that all people who want to come to Tenerife are unprepared idiots who will lose all their savings and go back to the U.K. skint!!!

Give us who still live in the U.K. credit for some brains:stupid: we can do the figures and also work out just as well as the people who went before us what is required rolleyes2: Yes times are tough now and in tough times there is a lot of money to be made by people who are clever enough!!!

I think there are quite a few members on this forum who seem to be prospering and good luck to them! Tenerife is not all doom and gloom.

sunseeker
24-03-2012, 01:27
i dont think its that anyone thinks peopel wanting to come here dont have brains but its not a uncomon thread on the forum or a uncoomon situation.

timmylish
24-03-2012, 03:14
I object............there seems to be an asumption that all people who want to come to Tenerife are unprepared idiots who will lose all their savings and go back to the U.K. skint!!!

Give us who still live in the U.K. credit for some brains:stupid: we can do the figures and also work out just as well as the people who went before us what is required rolleyes2: Yes times are tough now and in tough times there is a lot of money to be made by people who are clever enough!!!

I think there are quite a few members on this forum who seem to be prospering and good luck to them! Tenerife is not all doom and gloom.

I have to ask you to read, in detail, all the recent postings from people intent on coming here and see some of the most naive questions/comments and generalisations. I would class some of them as stupid. There! I,ve had the balls to actually say what most of the members of a like mind to myself. The number of people who are in a position to earn big money at this time, from scratch, are very few and far between. The only reason that there is not yet widespread poverty on this Island is the excellent observation made by Canaries to the effect that a lot, if not very nearly the majority of Canarians here, inherit their properties or actually move in with parents/grandparents thereby saving the cost of renting/owning. If you look back on all my postings last year I was one of few here who, with hindsight, wrongly encouraged people to come and give it a go. Things have changed for the worse so rapidly in the Canaries since the last General Election its quite, quite frightening. I apologise if you think my view un-necessarily frank but there you are. I live here (23 years now) and you do not. I speak to Canarian/Spanish/Argentinian/Chilean residents. People who work in the Social Services. Local doctors and the like. I know the situation here but you do not.
I apologise for speaking in this fashion but there you are.

Balcony
24-03-2012, 09:05
I think it says more about the people than my comment! And it strengthens what I say that you need to plan better, have a lot of cash to get through. Maybe for those in business ...er, a business plan...

I would say you're well off with that. I can think of a few case where people have come with around Ģ30,000 in the bank thinking it's a fortune and a safety net.

They are all back in the UK and living in rented accommodation, starting again.

cheery
24-03-2012, 09:12
I read all these threads on the serious situation in Tenerife and there is a lot of good advice. There is also, has has been pointed out, a lot of negativity. Lots of people seem to highlight no jobs, Romanian pickpockets, cost of electricity etc etc. Surely from time to time some of you must have something good to post about. Perhaps the thread concerning how many people post on the other forum was right. People don't want to hear bad news all the time. If I wanted to upset myself I would watch a programme on disabled children or starving children in Africa.

Of course this is just my opinion you understand.

Tom & Sharon
24-03-2012, 11:35
I think it says more about the people than my comment! And it strengthens what I say that you need to plan better, have a lot of cash to get through. Maybe for those in business ...er, a business plan...

I just altered my wording on my post Balcony. When I said "you're well off" I meant off the mark, under the mark. It was badly worded and I apologise.

Six months money is nowhere near enough to come with. You would go through that on arrival in a jiffy. Hence my remark about people I know of, and there are several, who have arrived with around Ģ30,000 thinking it would be enough.

On average they stayed around 12/14 months, picked up a bit of work along the way, and at the end of it it had all gone. They are all back in the UK, starting again and living in rented accommodation.

Now if you're willing to give up your whole life to "give it a go", which may just turn into a 12 month vacation, then carry on. I don't however think it's what most people have in mind.

golf birdie
24-03-2012, 12:07
I look at it like joining a gym. You wake up one morning see some super fit person on TV and think to yourself, i could do that, lose a stone or two so off to join the local gym.

Thats the easy part, now the work starts and most give up as the hard work was not part of the dream, Some stick it out as, hate it but they are that kind of person who just will not admit its not for them. Some go with their gym buddy who holds them back because they are not so keen and they give up in the end as the pub is more fun. Others, a very few love it, love the sweat, hard work and hours spent getting what they dreamt of and will do whatever it takes to succeed.

Its like everything in life, some do and some don't.

caroletenerife
24-03-2012, 12:29
I agree that this is not a good time to emigrate with your family with the view to 'getting rich' here. That's highly unlikely, but human being are motivated by different things. Materialistic wealth isn't everyone's priority, some people are adventurous,which is a good thing, because if they were not, we would still think the world was flat!

I also know of people that struggle with finances, however they stay here because they have debilitating illnesses that would make their life miserable in cold, damp Britain. If they choose to be able to afford , just a glass of cheap wine as they walk along the seafront in the sunshine as opposed to going to a fancy restaurant in the UK in a wheelchair, who is anyone to judge and ridicule their choice.

I would definitely be better off financially in the UK, where I was on a good salary, in fact, I would be better off here if I chose to do more hours in my 'proper' job. As it is, I have no need for materialistic 'stuff' to make me happy, I may be a bit skint as a result of my lifestyle choice, but..Im as happy as a pig in s***.x

Angusjim
24-03-2012, 12:32
I think the ones who come on here with the usual "love the sunshine in Tenerife and we are fed up of the UK, moving over in 3 weeks what is cost of an apartment and how is the job situation we have bar & restaurant experience but will do anything" just stay where you are you obviously have no idea what they are doing:(

fonica
24-03-2012, 12:57
I have to ask you to read, in detail, all the recent postings from people intent on coming here and see some of the most naive questions/comments and generalisations. I would class some of them as stupid. There! I,ve had the balls to actually say what most of the members of a like mind to myself. The number of people who are in a position to earn big money at this time, from scratch, are very few and far between. The only reason that there is not yet widespread poverty on this Island is the excellent observation made by Canaries to the effect that a lot, if not very nearly the majority of Canarians here, inherit their properties or actually move in with parents/grandparents thereby saving the cost of renting/owning. If you look back on all my postings last year I was one of few here who, with hindsight, wrongly encouraged people to come and give it a go. Things have changed for the worse so rapidly in the Canaries since the last General Election its quite, quite frightening. I apologise if you think my view un-necessarily frank but there you are. I live here (23 years now) and you do not. I speak to Canarian/Spanish/Argentinian/Chilean residents. People who work in the Social Services. Local doctors and the like. I know the situation here but you do not.
I apologise for speaking in this fashion but there you are. Me too,I have been here for a bit longer and am still amazed at how many business people here think they understand the situation and the the mentality of the locals when in fact,they haven't a clue. I hear British lawyers giving advice, British blogs and web pages where advice and information (often translated from the local press by Google) is handed out with such confidence in their own knowledge and convictions when in reality they may be better keeping quiet.How often do we here these "well informed" people knocking the locals,police,goverment etc.,they must think that these people don't read their forums and blogs! There are people arriving from the UK every day who haven't a clue about living abroad and getting work,educating their children,getting free health care and learning the language.It makes me sad to see them fail but when we try to warn them of what to expect,we are accused of negativity. Believe me,it's hard for the well educated locals to survive at the moment and with thousands of people without work the chances of getting good,legal employment as an immigrant,are almost nil. Stay where you are for now,enjoy your holidays here and wait for the turn around.Those of us who have been here for 20/30 years,have seen hard times before,but never like this,and we haven't reached the bottom yet.

Suej
24-03-2012, 13:18
I read all these threads on the serious situation in Tenerife and there is a lot of good advice. There is also, has has been pointed out, a lot of negativity. Lots of people seem to highlight no jobs, Romanian pickpockets, cost of electricity etc etc. Surely from time to time some of you must have something good to post about. Perhaps the thread concerning how many people post on the other forum was right. People don't want to hear bad news all the time. If I wanted to upset myself I would watch a programme on disabled children or starving children in Africa.

I understand where you are coming from Cheery but there's absolutely no point in anyone burying their heads in the Tenerife sand and pretending that everything will be brilliant and life will be better here! A very small percentage will make a go of it most probably won't! By turning away from the negative issues won't make the current situation go away! eek2:

Tom & Sharon
24-03-2012, 14:43
The other thing to be considered is that there is very little opportunity for young ones.

We took Josh from the UK after the end of his GCSE's. He hadn't done as well as he could have done, and we wanted to give him another chance to focus. We enrolled him in Britannia School to do his final year, and sit his exams again. I think this year served him well, and he focused himself better, experienced a different way of life and applied, and was accepted for, the Royal Navy.

After leaving Britannia, he had a 4 yr wait to join the Navy, and he wanted to get a job and earn himself some money in the meantime. He wasn't old enough to work behind a bar at 17, and didn't want to be a PR. He applied for, and got, a job at Iceland. This would have served him well as a stop gap, and was probably the best he could have hoped for. It was his first ever job and he was thrilled. He was there early every morning and seemed to be enjoying it. Then after 3 weeks, a bombshell - they sacked him. He was on a months trial and at 5.55 one night, with 5 mins to go before the end of his shift before his day off, they called him in the office and said they were letting him go.

I was very upset, and absolutely fuming. It knocked me and Tom both for 6. How could they pick someone up and drop them like that? He was 17 and his first job. To say his confidence was knocked was an understatement. I went in the next day to give the manager a piece of my mind. He told me he wasn't fast enough. I was livid. They knew he was 17 and it was his first job. People of that age need time to adapt to the world of work, and extremely good training. If I'd known that they'd have done that to him, I'd have never let him set foot in the place. It opened my eyes a bit to the fact that in Tenerife, people are dispensable. Pick them up, drop them, abuse them, ruin their lives sometimes, but HEY! There's another queue of people behind them, so it doesn't really matter. I've noticed since that it seems to be par for the course, but before this I hadn't really given it much thought.

Josh decided he wanted to return to the UK to get some proper training. He had been in Tenerife for 18 months, and had made some good friends, but none of them really have "proper" jobs. For the record, it's not the language either, because many of them are bi-lingual, and some of mixed English/Canarian families. There just aren't the opportunities that there seem to be for them in the UK.

I was upset that he wanted to return, but I knew it was really the best thing to do. He returned to the UK and began a Govt. apprenticeship through the Learning & Skills council in customer service. He has now done NVQ level 2 & 3 through them, and has exceeded all their expectations. His references are glowing, and his training has been excellent. His apprenticeship is coming to an end, and through their contacts they have placed him in a Company who have given him a trial and offered him a job.

None of this would have been possible in Tenerife. Even though Iceland trade under the guise of a UK Company, they don't act like one. They couldn't even be bothered to train him properly, whereas in the UK, the "proper" Iceland will have a structured training scheme run by professional qualified staff.

With hindsight, it is the best thing that could have happened, and Josh has received every possible level of help in his route to employment, and I believe his return to the UK was for the best.

If you are thinking of coming to Tenerife to find work, and you have older teenage children who have, or are about to, leave school, please remember that there will be very little for them in the world of work and training.

Jadene
24-03-2012, 20:23
FINALLY!!! someone who reads these posts as a negative. If they are not with the intention of being negative you certainly need to realise that they are being read that way. I am moving out there in may. I have family there and a job lined up too so yes I am lucky but surely advise these people in a positive way rather than a negative its really a depressing read! CHEER UP PEOPLE!! also i would like to point out that I dont agree with the people that think they will live like they would on a holiday I know for me its going to be 14 hour days 6 days a week but hey it will be warm and the sun will shine more than in england and I for one know that just seeing that sun shine puts a smile on my face ! im sick of fog at the min lol

caroll72
24-03-2012, 20:53
We love Tenerife & enjoyed our 4 years on the island, but i guess we were lucky in as much as we had jobs and a roof.
It was our choice to move back to the uk a year ago, mainly for medical reasons.

I feel sorry for the newbies that arrive with their heads in the clouds, only to find out a few months later that they can't earn the money, or the lifestyle that they did in the uk.

Not wanting to sound negative, just realistic, but would never move back again, especially now, unless we had enough funds not to have to work for a living.

Greg
25-03-2012, 02:15

Easy to say when you don't live and work here!

timmylish
25-03-2012, 02:51

But your opinion is so far removed from the reality of the situation here. It IS dire and will be so for years and years unless, as I have previously reported, the possible oil exploration takes off and thousands of jobs arise from that industry. Even although I am 63 years old and this development is unlikely have any bearing on my future here I do worry about my friends kids, both Canarian and non. Head in the sand, maybe, but more likely up to your backside. As for leccy, Romanians (my missus is a Romanian and Moldovan citizen!) et al. Well that,s the same all over Europe. Keeps coming back to the same situation. No jobs means no spending means shops closing or cutting back on staff means no jobs. The world goes round in circles and Tenerife is no exception to that rule.
Well the weather has certainly picked up over the last couple of days, your litre of petrol has just gone past the 1,40 stg, 5 new members express a desire to come to live on Tenerife in the near future and guess what. They are asking the same questions the 20 odd did kast week and the 15 the week before. See a pattern? Wake up to the reality because most of us on this Island are aware but can do little to change that pattern, that is of course, you have any splendid ideas for the 28% unemployed people here. Do you understand that figure. Nearly one third of employable people here have no jobs! And that does not include those who work without contracts of any kind (mainly Brits.). Frightening numbers if you can work out these very basic figures.

slodgedad
25-03-2012, 04:07
But your opinion is so far removed from the reality of the situation here. It IS dire and will be so for years and years unless, as I have previously reported, the possible oil exploration takes off and thousands of jobs arise from that industry. Even although I am 63 years old and this development is unlikely have any bearing on my future here I do worry about my friends kids, both Canarian and non. Head in the sand, maybe, but more likely up to your backside. As for leccy, Romanians (my missus is a Romanian and Moldovan citizen!) et al. Well that,s the same all over Europe. Keeps coming back to the same situation. No jobs means no spending means shops closing or cutting back on staff means no jobs. The world goes round in circles and Tenerife is no exception to that rule.
Well the weather has certainly picked up over the last couple of days, your litre of petrol has just gone past the 1,40 stg, 5 new members express a desire to come to live on Tenerife in the near future and guess what. They are asking the same questions the 20 odd did kast week and the 15 the week before. See a pattern? Wake up to the reality because most of us on this Island are aware but can do little to change that pattern, that is of course, you have any splendid ideas for the 28% unemployed people here. Do you understand that figure. Nearly one third of employable people here have no jobs! And that does not include those who work without contracts of any kind (mainly Brits.). Frightening numbers if you can work out these very basic figures.

Let me just add to that. The percentages quoted are for those registered as unemployed. (ie. Those that have previously worked and are in the system)

slodgedad
25-03-2012, 04:07

Let me just add to that. The percentages quoted are for those registered as unemployed. (ie. Those that have previously worked and are in the system)

princessmonika
25-03-2012, 09:24
yes running a car , tv, broadband--and paying all the other charges --and have no mortgage -- it cost me euro 385.00 per month
after that food, petrol eating out and clothing --- this is for a 2 bed bungalow--

Zara
25-03-2012, 10:02
I donīt understand why people come on here and ask for advice if they only want to be told what they want to hear.

It would be remiss of anyone to say 'come here, you will have no problems, you will easily find work' when anyone who lives here knows that is far from true. The beauty of this forum is you will hear it warts and all, if you donīt want to hear it fine, but you certainly canīt say you were not warned.

obs
25-03-2012, 11:35
Well put Zara. :agree:

golf birdie
25-03-2012, 12:13

Give us who still live in the U.K. credit for some brains:stupid: we can do the figures and also work out just as well as the people who went before us what is required rolleyes2:

I find this very untrue. If they did the figures and really looked into what it takes to survive there would be far less coming here investing their life savings in tinpot businesses. Most do not have a clue, they are blinded by the sun. If I had a euro for everytime someone said to me what an easy life I have, I really would have an easylife;) They just don,t understand how difficult it is to do things right here.

Talking to a friend yesterday reminded me of his story from a few years back. He ran a really successful business back home and still does from here. He looked into doing the same thing here but could not believe the premises he required to do this right would cost him 3k a month here against 500 quid in the UK. He gave up on the idea as it could never make money here but he told someone else about the plan in a bar and how it would not work due to the overheads. Guess what, the other bloke, a smart business man himself, went and stole the idea, opened up in the exact place and within 2 years was bust. They say they leave their brains on the plane and in most cases that is so very true.

I will also add to anyone thinking of investing large amounts of their money here, ask yourself, would you do this if Tenerife had no sun, as to make the business work you won,t see much of it.

Sundowner
25-03-2012, 18:26
I find this very untrue. If they did the figures and really looked into what it takes to survive there would be far less coming here investing their life savings in tinpot businesses. Most do not have a clue, they are blinded by the sun. If I had a euro for everytime someone said to me what an easy life I have, I really would have an easylife;) They just don,t understand how difficult it is to do things right here.

Talking to a friend yesterday reminded me of his story from a few years back. He ran a really successful business back home and still does from here. He looked into doing the same thing here but could not believe the premises he required to do this right would cost him 3k a month here against 500 quid in the UK. He gave up on the idea as it could never make money here but he told someone else about the plan in a bar and how it would not work due to the overheads. Guess what, the other bloke, a smart business man himself, went and stole the idea, opened up in the exact place and within 2 years was bust. They say they leave their brains on the plane and in most cases that is so very true.

I will also add to anyone thinking of investing large amounts of their money here, ask yourself, would you do this if Tenerife had no sun, as to make the business work you won,t see much of it.

I agree with you 100% People who move over to Tenerife who want to live in the sun,go to the beach have lazy lunches and prop up a bar should have enough money to fund that life style before they come to Tenerife!

If they are young with no ties and want to work in bars, restaurants or as PR's they should know that there is a lot of people already doing that and they will struggle to make ends meet and not see much sun as they will be too busy trying to earn a Euro.

If they are older with a familly in tow then unless they have another source of income a good business plan and also a plan "B" if it does not work out they should not bother getting on the plane!

If they think that buying a bar that has gone bust every year for the last 10 years is a good idea they should not get on the plane!

If they can run a U.K. business from Tenerife and make enough money to "live the dream" get on the Plane! But still have a plan"B"

Everyone's situation will be different and as long as people do their research they will be able to make an informed choice............thanks to the advice of other forum members!

p.s. I did not include idiots in this because you can't legislate for them and no matter what anyone says they will still be jumping on the plane "to live the dream" or is that nightmare?

alex.sibianu
25-03-2012, 20:16
Aren't there any other businesses in Tenerife than running a restaurant or a bar..?!!
This is all people around here keep talking about!

Zara
25-03-2012, 20:43
Entertainers, estate agent, timeshare sales, tele-marketers, lap dancers, not all need relevant experience. :eyebrows:

The alternative is to think of something that is needed but not here and start your own business.

golf birdie
25-03-2012, 20:48
Aren't there any other businesses in Tenerife than running a restaurant or a bar..?!!
This is all people around here keep talking about!

yes there are, I run one;)

Added after 3 minutes:

Everyone's situation will be different and as long as people do their research they will be able to make an informed choice............thanks to the advice of other forum members!

?

yes, and the smart ones don't up sticks and invest in Tenerife to have a worse life style. They look, look again and most stay where they are. I really wish I started to write a page a day when I first landed here, it would be a hell of a book.

alex.sibianu
25-03-2012, 20:54
yes there are, I run one;)

Could you be so kind and tell us what your business does?

I am thinking to come over, mostly for the sun, continue my online business and also start an IT business in Tenerife.

I have a team of web developers and together we create a lot of interesting web aplications, ERP's, web sites, etc. We are professionals at what we do and our projects speak for us(big corporation projects)

What we could offer in Tenerife would be the following:
(we can work on small budget projects as well as big projects)

Graphics - business cards, web design, illustrations, brochure, food menu design, event banner, logos, etc.
Webdevelopment - i could say a lot about this but i will only tell you that we can do magic
Hardware - PC/Laptop upgrade, PC/Laptop/Printer/etc repair, etc.
Software - updates, configurations, installations, etc.
Networking - Wireless configuration/design, Lan configuration/design, wire management, Fiber optic, ADSL, etc.
Telecommunications - FIber optics, wireless, VOIP

Zara
25-03-2012, 21:17
I have a team of web developers and together we create a lot of interesting web aplications, ERP's, web sites, etc. We are professionals at what we do and our projects speak for us(big corporation projects)

Graphics - business cards, web design, illustrations, brochure, food menu design, event banner, logos, etc.
Webdevelopment - i could say a lot about this but i will only tell you that we can do magic

I do some freelance work with people here in Tenerife who already do all of this, they are excellent but they still have a large clientbase in the UK as there would not be enough here to make the sort of living they are used to.

CIM
25-03-2012, 21:26
I do some freelance work with people here in Tenerife who already do all of this, they are excellent but they still have a large clientbase in the UK as there would not be enough here to make the sort of living they are used to.

Iīd agree with the above. I do a lot of this type of work myself (certainly on the web side) and had thought about providing these services to others as I do get asked a lot but I wouldnt want to rely on local business here.

fonica
25-03-2012, 22:22
This is all people around here keep talking about! You're catching on now!!1 If you did find something new,legal and profitable to do here,within six months dozens of others would follow suit and none would flourish. Many businesses relied on the building trade ;well they've gone now.Others needed tourists who are not in all inclusive hotels;they've gone too.Many people have good ideas but the local council put so much legistration their path that they give up before they start.Spanish bars and restaurants work 18 hours a day so you would have to work long hours to compete.No point in living in the sun if you can't see it. Taxi drivers make around 700 € for six+ twelve hour days. 90,000 people in the Canary Islands don't have either jobs or any form of dole/socoal security payments. Think long and hard before you put your children through this move. Youngsters who are prepared to rough it will either survive or go home but for families with children it's much harder.

alex.sibianu
25-03-2012, 22:29
Hello Fonica,

In my case i don't have any kids or family to support.
I will come with my girlfriend and 2 more friends(also a couple) and we wish to rent a house 3/4 rooms and 7-900euro/month.

During our stay we will continue mining with our other businesses but we will also start something locally.

I already have a firm, not in Spain, and i am able to invoice any other firm VAT free, so this means that i can do things legal and a lot of the paperwork will disappear since i am already doing them here + no additional taxes for my company. I am able to do any kind of work(in my field of expertise, IT) for any company based on a written agreement.

Margaretta
26-03-2012, 00:13
Interlude: I know this is a serious thread but I just had to say that, having at times been alone in Tenerife, I would have loved to be able to phone a cockroach-catcher. Now there's a 24-hour business which would be well supported by those of us who are petrified of the horrors!:idea:

caroletenerife
26-03-2012, 02:12
Interlude: I know this is a serious thread but I just had to say that, having at times been alone in Tenerife, I would have loved to be able to phone a cockroach-catcher. Now there's a 24-hour business which would be well supported by those of us who are petrified of the horrors!:idea:
I could do that:), start up costs..one pint beer glass and one beer mat..I think your on to something Margaretta

fonica
26-03-2012, 08:25
Hello Fonica,

In my case i don't have any kids or family to support.
I will come with my girlfriend and 2 more friends(also a couple) and we wish to rent a house 3/4 rooms and 7-900euro/month.

During our stay we will continue mining with our other businesses but we will also start something locally.

I already have a firm, not in Spain, and i am able to invoice any other firm VAT free, so this means that i can do things legal and a lot of the paperwork will disappear since i am already doing them here + no additional taxes for my company. I am able to do any kind of work(in my field of expertise, IT) for any company based on a written agreement.I'm sure you will enjoy life here as you have covered all the problems that you may find.

Interlude: I know this is a serious thread but I just had to say that, having at times been alone in Tenerife, I would have loved to be able to phone a cockroach-catcher. Now there's a 24-hour business which would be well supported by those of us who are petrified of the horrors!:idea: I've got three phone numbers on my phone.It's not that they dont exist,you just haven't found them.

Ed3229
26-03-2012, 08:53
It never hurts to be honest about jobs in Tenerife
I was over in September 2011 with an idea for a new business.I spent a few days looking around and doing the maths.I have the cash to buy an apartment,live for a couple of years and invest.Wife runs two internet businesses and could run from the island......Would I do it ???? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!....I have now started property development in the UK.I will be buying a holiday apartment this year on one of the islands but won't be moving to live in the sun....People need to wake up and smell the coffee times are hard all over the world.A bit of sun won't make a business a success in these hard times....

bonitatime
26-03-2012, 09:08
Most other business require you speak Spanish which is not standard for expats

www.soydeltete.es

Muppet
26-03-2012, 10:07

I am thinking to come over, mostly for the sun, continue my online business and also start an IT business in Tenerife.

Networking - Wireless configuration/design, Lan configuration/design, wire management, Fiber optic, ADSL, etc.

I'm looking down your list above......

Graphics and business cards - there are 100's of people here doing this - most use Vista-Print for business cards and everyone has photoshop on their PC

Web Development - Interesting area - so many businesses here do not make the most of the Internet - why? Not enough profit from their business to be able to spend big money on website development - those that do have sites here tend to DIY which is, when you consider the content, adequate and cheap

PC upgrading and repairs. Printers go in the bin when they break and there is little demand for PC upgrades over and above those already providing such a service.

Networking ADSL and Fibre Optic work - you've obviously not met Telefonica yet!!

Seriously though, good luck with your plans, but I fear the demand for your obvious skills from an Island with 32 % unemployment and relatively expensive ADSL provision and negative attitude toward computing because of costs and availability of spares - unless you have Spanish of course.

Zara
26-03-2012, 10:29
Web Development - Interesting area - so many businesses here do not make the most of the Internet - why? Not enough profit from their business to be able to spend big money on website development - those that do have sites here tend to DIY which is, when you consider the content, adequate and cheap

Get a website, stick anything on it that is adequate and cheap then forget it because you are now on the world wide web!!

Marketing, what's that
............. I've got three phone numbers on my phone.It's not that they dont exist,you just haven't found them. we are about you just need to be Sherlock to find us. :duh:

Muppet
26-03-2012, 10:33
I don't disagree with you zara, but as you well know, it's the way it is here, and this thread is about telling like it is, really

Zara
26-03-2012, 10:40
I don't disagree with you zara, but as you well know, it's the way it is here, and this thread is about telling like it is, really

But isnīt that the point Muppet, people get a website then forget all about it. They donīt seem to realise that is just the beginning, if they want their business to grow they need to work at it.

There seems to be many that believe word of mouth is the best marketing but how many friends require the same services as you? Money may be tight but if people have already set up a website, it costs nothing to keep it updated and promote what they are doing especially if they are just sitting on their bums waiting for someone who may need what they have to offer! Or is it easier to go down the pub and have a moan :(

Muppet
26-03-2012, 11:03
But isnīt that the point Muppet, people get a website then forget all about it. They donīt seem to realise that is just the beginning, if they want their business to grow they need to work at it.

There seems to be many that believe word of mouth is the best marketing but how many friends require the same services as you? Money may be tight but if people have already set up a website, it costs nothing to keep it updated and promote what they are doing especially if they are just sitting on their bums waiting for someone who may need what they have to offer! Or is it easier to go down the pub and have a moan :(

Quite right, again. The real point though is that website design is not an area of business on the island that will feed a family, sadly

alex.sibianu
26-03-2012, 11:07
I'm looking down your list above......

Graphics and business cards - there are 100's of people here doing this - most use Vista-Print for business cards and everyone has photoshop on their PC
We can do it better, we have illustrators that can make custom designs and drawings with more than 5 years experience.

If you don't spend money you don't make money!!
If a business doesn't invest in promoting itself it will go bust, we can offer all sorts of services in order to boost a business, we did it before!

Networking ADSL and Fibre Optic work - you've obviously not met Telefonica yet!!
I am in the telecom for 10years, if there is demand ther will be an offer!!

The internet is the new age, and there is also a saying "if google can't find you, you don't exist", it could be true these days!!

Added after 2 minutes:

Quite right, again. The real point though is that website design is not an area of business on the island that will feed a family, sadly

HAA!! A website could feed and support a family if things are done right!!
With little investment and sitting in front of a computer for 2-5 hours/day.

Why think locally?

Muppet
26-03-2012, 11:43

What we could offer in Tenerife would be the following: (we can work on small budget projects as well as big projects)

Your post said what you could offer the list of services here - and whilst not trying to be awkward or negative, without access to the spanish market the demand is not enough.

Importing spares into the islands is far from the easiest thing to do, and can be expensive when customs and handling charges get added. Telefonica have the monopoly of ADSL provision, others can offer services but are governed by telefonica's wholesale prices which are only a few cents below their retail prices. Fastest speeds here are circa 8 megs outside Santa Cruz.........

Whole point of this thread was, I thought, to urge people with "the dream" to do their own careful research ....

alex.sibianu
26-03-2012, 11:54
Whole point of this thread was, I thought, to urge people with "the dream" to do their own careful research ....

OK... we might have changed the topic ... sorry for that

I still haven't found my answer.

Why people only speak about bar/restaurant jobs/businesses?
It is clear to me that there are too many people willing to work in a bar and too many bars.

Alex

poker
26-03-2012, 12:13
Why people only speak about bar/restaurant jobs/businesses?
It is clear to me that there are too many people willing to work in a bar and too many bars.

Alex

There are no factories here or no production of anything all is Imported .
The only business here is from Tourism and the supply of tourist related companys ( 80% of income of the canaries) .
Most jobs are also tourist related ...................

golf birdie
26-03-2012, 12:19

I would need need to kill you then :laugh:

An idea that could bring in a little cash would be to offer computer lessons to the Brits here (maybe its being done). I find a lot who live here don't know how to work one.

Don't forget my cheque :spin:

YOUNG GOLFER
26-03-2012, 12:22
We can do it better, we have illustrators that can make custom designs and drawings with more than 5 years experience.

If you don't spend money you don't make money!!
If a business doesn't invest in promoting itself it will go bust, we can offer all sorts of services in order to boost a business, we did it before!

I am in the telecom for 10years, if there is demand ther will be an offer!!

The internet is the new age, and there is also a saying "if google can't find you, you don't exist", it could be true these days!!

Added after 2 minutes:

Why think locally?

I agree a website can feed and support a family but you have to work at it like anything else in life...for example people in the same line of work as me have a website work from home and seem to do very very well i know of four agents who are very busy all getting business from the web (they have good websites).

I also know of agents who have a very basic website and a shop and are struggling right now because they just sit back and think that's enough....but it's not....times change and so should people you have to really work hard at it.

Someone said on another thread what about finding time to relax in Tenerife enjoying the sun...well for me right now it's about busting a gut to make sure my family and my business are going to be here for a long time i can enjoy the sun at times but for now it's about pulling your socks up and keep working hard.

A website in my business like many others businesses can be very important..... but you must keep on top of it.... clients can be here for days or a couple of weeks and will still not have any joy in finding the right property...but with a good updated website and plenty of contact with the client throughout the year it can work and i have seen proof of this.

At the moment my new website is almost ready but it has taken a lot of work and time and fingers crossed it will be up there with the best of them very soon.

Lastly for anyone coming here to find work if you think you have what it takes then go for it....after all that's been said on here it's up to you yourself to make it work if it does not...... then at least you have tried if you feel you done your best and it never worked then you had a go but maybe Tenerife is not for you.

Many people all over the world move away to a new country(look at all them TV shows for example) many come back but many will stay and will be glad they did.

You have one life do what you want with it.......but just don't walk into it with your eyes shut.:)

bonitatime
26-03-2012, 14:02

Why think locally?

If you make it over here PM me as we are always interested to talk to People

www.soydeltete.es

YOUNG GOLFER
26-03-2012, 15:31
Entertainers, estate agent, timeshare sales, tele-marketers, lap dancers, not all need relevant experience. :eyebrows:

The alternative is to think of something that is needed but not here and start your own business.

Think you will find all the above will need some form of experience have you tried any of them Zara.

cainaries
26-03-2012, 16:24
There are no factories here or no production of anything all is Imported .
The only business here is from Tourism and the supply of tourist related companys ( 80% of income of the canaries) .
Most jobs are also tourist related ...................

And what isn't tourist related will be basic agricultural work, bananas, avocados, tomatoes, flowers ....

And anyone who hasn't yet dealt with Telefonica has a treat in store, imo:wink::laugh:

Suej
26-03-2012, 16:29
I would need need to kill you then :laugh:

An idea that could bring in a little cash would be to offer computer lessons to the Brits here (maybe its being done). I find a lot who live here don't know how to work one.

Don't forget my cheque :spin:

I know of at least 3 guys that do this plus will do house calls for computer repairs! :spin:

Added after 3 minutes:

And what isn't tourist related will be basic agricultural work, bananas, avocados, tomatoes, flowers ....

And anyone who hasn't yet dealt with Telefonica has a treat in store, imo:wink::laugh:

:agree: you need to take blood pressure pills before you pick up the phone! if you don't have high pressure you soon will by the end of the call! Hey Cainaries do you think we are being a bit negative?:lol:

Zara
26-03-2012, 16:50
Think you will find all the above will need some form of experience have you tried any of them Zara.

You obviously read different newspapers to me YG but seems the bottom has dropped out of the lap dancing market as nobody is advertising now WOMAN has moved. :dontknow:

xxxxxxx are expanding for the season and are looking for people to join their team. No experience necessary as full training will be given Full contract provided.

xxxxxxxxx are looking for sales reps for their English speaking line. Good commissions paid. No experience required as full training given but an NIE number is essential.

Promotion company selling attractive high quality products – No selling experience is required

Holiday ownership company looking for reps with or without experience as full training provided

Our team faces a fresh set of challenges are you ready to join them? While no experience is necessary a desire and ability to learn quickly and think on your feet is essential.

Today's offerings :goodluck: anyone wishing to apply

caroletenerife
26-03-2012, 17:37
You obviously read different newspapers to me YG but seems the bottom has dropped out of the lap dancing market as nobody is advertising now WOMAN has moved. :dontknow:

xxxxxxx are expanding for the season and are looking for people to join their team. No experience necessary as full training will be given Full contract provided.

xxxxxxxxx are looking for sales reps for their English speaking line. Good commissions paid. No experience required as full training given but an NIE number is essential.

Promotion company selling attractive high quality products – No selling experience is required

Holiday ownership company looking for reps with or without experience as full training provided

Our team faces a fresh set of challenges are you ready to join them? While no experience is necessary a desire and ability to learn quickly and think on your feet is essential.

Hey zara, we could try this!!! I could not believe what i was seeing when i first saw it (gets interesting about 1.20), this woman is unbelievable. Total respect to her...but i think we might end up in hospital...or the morgue:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZlD2Yt3t7A&feature=related

CIM
26-03-2012, 17:38

However, if everyone who applied and who didnt have any experience could do the jobs adequately, these companies would have no reason to continually advertise. They are "churning" applicants. Getting a bit of free work out of them, paying a pittance on the promise of big commissions then getting shot of them as they arent really up to much, probably because they have no experience and dont know what they are doing... Certain types of people are very good at telesales, others will never be able to do a good job of it for example.

So far as experience in my sector, experienced estate agents are going out of business left, right and centre. Probably one of the hardest businesses to get a start in right now - you need to really know what you are doing. I am sure of those who may think its as easy as sticking a poster in the window, very few would last 5 minutes in this industry these days. If you have no experience and think you can just selling property - Good Luck!

Zara
26-03-2012, 17:42
Hey zara, we could try this!!! I could not believe what i was seeing when i first saw it (gets interesting about 1.20), this woman is unbelievable. Total respect to her...but i think we might end up in hospital...or the morgue:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZlD2Yt3t7A&feature=related

Taught her all I know Carole :crylaughing:

golf birdie
26-03-2012, 17:44
I know of at least 3 guys that do this plus will do house calls for computer repairs! :spin:

do they have websites ? Do they advertise ? Googled for it, nothing recent.

Suej
26-03-2012, 17:54
do they have websites ? Do they advertise ? Googled for it, nothing recent.

The two I have used are a a guy called Manfred (I think he also has something to do with Webcams) and another guy called Steve. Yes they do have websites but I think their domestic work is more word of mouth (recommendation) and seem mainly based in the South of Tenerife! I have also seen them advertise in the English free papers in the past! The other guy was recommended to me by a friend as he does Remote support but I have not used him and only have an email address and phone number.

cainaries
26-03-2012, 18:08

Added after 3 minutes:

[/COLOR][/B]
:agree: you need to take blood pressure pills before you pick up the phone! if you don't have high pressure you soon will by the end of the call! Hey Cainaries do you think we are being a bit negative?:lol:

A few weeks ago we got cold-called by a very friendly Scottish lady who was selling the service of dealing with Telefonica for us (!). She emailed me the link to the website which was written in Google-English (translated -as it turned out - from German). We decided any company which couldn't be bothered to write its own website in English despite having native tongue speakers on tap wasn't going to be much use. When she rang back I explained all this and she just about wept with frustration.

So, just as an example, that company might be a client - once. Anyone know what the British Ex-pat population numbers in Tenerife? Then ask yourselves if you would go to a town that small to set up a business.

timmylish
26-03-2012, 22:54
A few weeks ago we got cold-called by a very friendly Scottish lady who was selling the service of dealing with Telefonica for us (!). She emailed me the link to the website which was written in Google-English (translated -as it turned out - from German). We decided any company which couldn't be bothered to write its own website in English despite having native tongue speakers on tap wasn't going to be much use. When she rang back I explained all this and she just about wept with frustration.

So, just as an example, that company might be a client - once. Anyone know what the British Ex-pat population numbers in Tenerife? Then ask yourselves if you would go to a town that small to set up a business.

Your question on the number of ex-pat Brits raises an interesting point. 10/12 yrs ago, when T/s was at its peak I think there was reckoned to be about 100K! Now I cannot see more than 30K being the figure but I could be totally wrong on both counts. Perhaps someone like KirstyJay or Goldenmaniac would have a better idea?

Greg
26-03-2012, 23:11
I would love to know the answer to this one. For many years every bar, restaurant, cafe and supermarket I went into I always bumped into someone I knew. Big events like Paddy's day at Vivo always drew out any of the 'old crowd' still on the rock. Now most of the residents I knew have moved on, some for family reasons but most for economic ones. Unfortunately we will never know the true figures of Brit residents as many don't register and live in the black economy but the figures would make interesting reading (At least to me!) But one thing is for sure, our numbers are dwindling!!

CIM
26-03-2012, 23:25
I decided shortly after arriving not to build any type of business or rely on income from anything associated with the expat residents here. Iīm glad I stuck to that looking at the way things have panned out.

timmylish
27-03-2012, 00:19
Although I would be interested in how you targeted those outwith the UK ex-pats I can imagine you would not wish to share this on an open Forum, like this place!

duquessa
05-04-2012, 11:39
I read one of the free papers on holiday and they had a list of skills needed in Tenerife. One was a solar panel installer cant remember the rest.

Gazajlill
05-04-2012, 18:16
Sorry but just a thought but i really dont think that a lot of people that have lived in Tenerife for many years and were earning more in 1994 actually understand that it is the same for us in the uk i am working longer hours for less money and having to travel further to get it once ive done the work people give excuses on how they have just lost there joib and cant afford to pay etc, we have all had it good for at least ten years now but it is extremely hard everywhere. i am moving to Tenerife in a month to "give it a go" but not just because its hot but the one plus of the weather is that you feel that you have more hours in the day to get the work done? Just a thought and dont want to upset anyone but we just had one week of good weather and it made everyone feel better and people seemed more upbeat and confident,so for me thats why id rather struggle with the sun shining as we have to work hard wherever we are in the world,my friend in oz is even moaning at the moment that there on the brink ofrecession now so i am a strong believer you just have to go out and find it put yourself about enough and pray ??

Muppet
05-04-2012, 18:34
The sunshine element soon wears off. Every day in the UK may be grey and dull, every day here may be hot and sunny - makes little difference if you are hungry and can't pay your rent.

Tenerife is not on the brink of a recession, it has been deep in one for almost 2 years. Every third person you see has no work and no benefits. It's one thing to work hard and want to work hard, but quite another when there is no work and little prospect of it in the medium term.

You don't say what you do, but if it is a run of the mill job you have, you will be lucky, very lucky to find an equivilent here and even luckier to actually get paid.

Anyone with a job in the UK now would do better to concentrate on keeping it, rather than to try to find one here - good luck though!

Tom & Sharon
05-04-2012, 19:03
I decided shortly after arriving not to build any type of business or rely on income from anything associated with the expat residents here. Iīm glad I stuck to that looking at the way things have panned out.

You're having a laugh!!!
You've cornered the market in my kitchen and whisky cupboard ;)

Tom

tracy hampshire
05-04-2012, 19:14
i have some friends here, canarian friends, they ran a very busy bar here in puerto, the whole family worked the bar, then about a year ago they hit problems, not the same trade, lots of money problems, i donīt know the full story, anyway the bar had to close , and it turned out that because of the money problems the father had not been paying the contributions, this caused the family to split, but to cut a long story short, the daughter was pregnant, had the baby , a lovely little boy, she & her boyfriend were out of work, with no benifits what so ever,, begging off family & friends for money to get milk for the baby, and remember these are canarians, who have been born here, there is no help here if you have not paid into the system, then you only get out what you have paid in, my friend is now working a few ours a day for 10 euros, just to try and make ends meet,black money, so still no chance of benifits, these are people who have lived here all there lives, have lots of friends & contacts, but still no proper work, they are lucky they have friends & family here, so the grass is not always greener, you will never starve back in the uk, but quite frankly over here the government dosenīt give a toss if you do or you donīt, the only plus side i can see at the moment about living in tenerife, is when things go tits up and your homeless, the cardboard box wonīt be quite so chilly ......... so please think twice about leaving any job at home to come to tenerife .

golf birdie
05-04-2012, 19:35
Sorry but just a thought but i really dont think that a lot of people that have lived in Tenerife for many years and were earning more in 1994 actually understand that it is the same for us in the uk i am working longer hours for less money and having to travel further to get it once ive done the work people give excuses on how they have just lost there joib and cant afford to pay etc, we have all had it good for at least ten years now but it is extremely hard everywhere. i am moving to Tenerife in a month to "give it a go" but not just because its hot but the one plus of the weather is that you feel that you have more hours in the day to get the work done? Just a thought and dont want to upset anyone but we just had one week of good weather and it made everyone feel better and people seemed more upbeat and confident,so for me thats why id rather struggle with the sun shining as we have to work hard wherever we are in the world,my friend in oz is even moaning at the moment that there on the brink ofrecession now so i am a strong believer you just have to go out and find it put yourself about enough and pray ??

I have to ask would you recommend anyone to move to the UK looking for work? Believe me, its a lot easier to find a job that pays enough to survive in the UK than it is here.

golf birdie
27-04-2012, 10:22
in answer to the thread title; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17866382

Simon-M
27-04-2012, 10:36
in answer to the thread title; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17866382

Are these figures real though? With all the dodgy contracts and illegal working that goes on here, I'm not surprised that those are the OFFICIAL figures. With the black economy taken into account which is massive in Spain I doubt the unemployment is anywhere near that mark.

golf birdie
27-04-2012, 10:49
Are these figures real though? With all the dodgy contracts and illegal working that goes on here, I'm not surprised that those are the OFFICIAL figures. With the black economy taken into account which is massive in Spain I doubt the unemployment is anywhere near that mark.

I read an artilcle last week which said the figures would be far higher if so many youngsters were not staying on in education as there are no jobs to leave for or living off family. I think they put the figure at something like 18% higher.

Muppet
27-04-2012, 13:58
I read an artilcle last week which said the figures would be far higher if so many youngsters were not staying on in education as there are no jobs to leave for or living off family. I think they put the figure at something like 18% higher.

The truth will become clear in the next 12 months. The further education system is being dessimated by the Madrid budget cuts, so the youth will be signing as available for work come the end of this school year.

I think Simon is closer to the mark though, for every person staying on in education at the moment, or living off their family and not registered as available for work, there is another currently registered as unemployed and drawing Paro whilst working "on the black".

Suej
27-04-2012, 14:03
Just seen this on lunchtime news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17866382

golf birdie
27-04-2012, 14:06
The truth will become clear in the next 12 months. The further education system is being dessimated by the Madrid budget cuts, so the youth will be signing as available for work come the end of this school year.

I think Simon is closer to the mark though, for every person staying on in education at the moment, or living off their family and not registered as available for work, there is another currently registered as unemployed and drawing Paro whilst working "on the black".

so lets for arguement sake say 50% are fiddling (which I would find hard to believe), that still leaves almost 3 million in a country with a population 20 million less than the UK. Shocking.

Suej
27-04-2012, 15:12
so lets for arguement sake say 50% are fiddling (which I would find hard to believe), that still leaves almost 3 million in a country with a population 20 million less than the UK. Shocking.

:agree: Wouldn't have thought there was much "black" work available for that 50%!

Simon-M
27-04-2012, 19:36
:agree: Wouldn't have thought there was much "black" work available for that 50%!

It should not be too hard to work out if you know a lot of people :)

All those on Indefinado contracts say Aye :)

Everyone else (unless self employed) are likely to be on temp short term contracts where the rules are being abused. All those being abused say Aye :)

golf birdie
27-04-2012, 19:50
It should not be too hard to work out if you know a lot of people :)

All those on Indefinado contracts say Aye :)

Everyone else (unless self employed) are likely to be on temp short term contracts where the rules are being abused. All those being abused say Aye :)

if you are on any type of contract, 10 hours, full time or self employed you are not on that unemployment list. Any which way you dress them numbers, its a bad, bad time and I'm not just talking of toy town.

Simon-M
27-04-2012, 20:22
if you are on any type of contract, 10 hours, full time or self employed you are not on that unemployment list. Any which way you dress them numbers, its a bad, bad time and I'm not just talking of toy town.

That was in relation to black work... not the list :)

kathml
27-04-2012, 21:49
That was in relation to black work... not the list :)

Why not just admit it its bad and getting worse and doesn't look like improving for quite awhile

Simon-M
27-04-2012, 22:25
Why not just admit it its bad and getting worse and doesn't look like improving for quite awhile

I never said it was not bad at all. I said the figures quoted are probably not very good. That does not mean it's not bad.

fonica
28-04-2012, 14:11
It's always been difficult to earn a decent living here.Even with professional qualifications you would only expect to earn around 50% of a UK salary.However new lows are being reached now.After almost 30 years on the island and having seen at least two recessions,now we are seeing real suffering with people in jobs earning less than 5/6 years ago and the people without work going without food etc. When you think that only 2+ years ago that idiot Zapatero was giving people 2,500Euros whan they had a baby and allowing all and sundry into Spain ( and by default,the rest of Europe) No wonder we are in such a mess.Thank you bankers and Zapatero you will go down in history and be judged !

René
28-04-2012, 14:31
Last month we contracted our first employee (we are now with 3). We grow slowly, but that is also our intention as in our business it is not good to grow too fast. So yes for many people it is difficult to find work, but there are also opportunities.

I am for example from the beginning surprised how many companies passed by our office to present themselves (not). Reliable companies (builders, plumbers, electricians, etc.) with good references are always welcome to pass by.

sunseeker
28-04-2012, 22:01
good luck. itsnice to hear that someone is taking staff on.

Lucy Skymonds
19-11-2013, 22:51
Ahhhh I'm sorry, I know unemployment is rife, but I attest that more to how much tax small businesses have to actually pay to employ extra people, than the fact that the economic climate here is bad. If you actually look at the statistics, then you can see that tourists are spending more money now than they have for the past 5 years. The reason why people think it's all so bad is because the places where that money is being spent is changing. More and more rich Russians - heck, even the English that are starting to holiday here are richer than they used to be. The real problem imo, is the cheap alcohol in dive bars are no longer what the Tenerife tourist, and therefore the market, wants. Businesses that are catering to the more upmarket tourist, are actually thriving. The reason why any normal worker doesn't benefit from this, is that those thriving businesses (not including large companies), cannot afford to pay them - simply because they are still classified as a small business under Spanish law.

But there are still plenty of opportunities to take advantage of, if you understand the new clientele of Tenerife, and how the Spanish system as a whole is changing. If you come out here to be a lazy in the sun, then, sorry, Tenerife is probably the wrong place for you these days, because no, jobs aren't going to be thrown at you.

Johan
25-11-2013, 23:23
Hey guys! I just came home from Tenerife yesterday. This was my second visit to this beautiful island. I have to say that I would love it to move there permanently. As I started reading in this forum though, I realized it will not be easy to make my dream come true... :/

YOUNG GOLFER
26-11-2013, 00:21
Well you can read all the negative comments and take them in.....or you can go and prove everyone wrong and go and find a job. And you will find a job but you have to work hard in finding one. What's the norm with the youngsters in the UK ....why should I work when all the polish are getting the jobs bla bla bla If you want to make it work in Tenerife or the uk then you and only you can make it work.
Get of you **** and find work and with hard work you will find a job while the rest just sit on their **** like they do in the UK watching eastenders , X factor , emeradale , coranaton street thinking the world owes them a living.

Johan
26-11-2013, 00:29
Thanks for your reply YOUNG GOLFER. I really am not afraid of work. At the moment I am putting in ALOT of overtime hours at my job. I would like to move to Tenerife for the weather, the beauty and so on, however I realize I will have to sacrifice alot in order for this to happen. I have a well paid job that I like, moving to Tenerife though I risk ending up with no job and no income. But I will keep an eye open if something nice appears. You never know :)

YOUNG GOLFER
26-11-2013, 00:44
Yes you can risk a lot and you might lose everything but then if you are a hard worker then it could also work here.
You have two types of people in this world those who talk about doing it and them that do. You will find members on here describing tenerife as a rock in the sun or tenergrife these people have no idea. They blame tenerife because they haven't made it .............when they should be looking at themselves for making the wrong choices.

Little Britain. Is not Tenerife.

LUCKY
26-11-2013, 00:50
Thanks for your reply YOUNG GOLFER. I really am not afraid of work. At the moment I am putting in ALOT of overtime hours at my job. I would like to move to Tenerife for the weather, the beauty and so on, however I realize I will have to sacrifice alot in order for this to happen. I have a well paid job that I like, moving to Tenerife though I risk ending up with no job and no income. But I will keep an eye open if something nice appears. You never know :)

May i wish you all the best , you seem that you may have a good attitude to life, if you dont try you will never know, as they say money is not everything, its only 9/10th of it, at times i wished if i had made the break for it, But as we say in Yorkshire . Any road up. i have made it here at long last ,but only for a few months a year. :flatcap:

Angusjim
26-11-2013, 07:39
Well you can read all the negative comments and take them in.....or you can go and prove everyone wrong and go and find a job. And you will find a job but you have to work hard in finding one. What's the norm with the youngsters in the UK ....why should I work when all the polish are getting the jobs bla bla bla If you want to make it work in Tenerife or the uk then you and only you can make it work.
Get of you **** and find work and with hard work you will find a job while the rest just sit on their **** like they do in the UK watching eastenders , X factor , emeradale , coranaton street thinking the world owes them a living.

One big difference unemployment in UK 7.5% in Tenerife 35% i we have just taken on another 2 apprentices and things are definitely on the up unlike Tenerife where they seem clueless on how to create jobs. The 2 apprentices we picked were from a bunch of very good candidates all very motivated to work, that's real jobs that gives them real hope of a decent career.

Johan
26-11-2013, 15:08
May i wish you all the best , you seem that you may have a good attitude to life, if you dont try you will never know, as they say money is not everything, its only 9/10th of it, at times i wished if i had made the break for it, But as we say in Yorkshire . Any road up. i have made it here at long last ,but only for a few months a year. :flatcap:Thank you for that! :) I guess that the future will show the result for my dream. For now I will prepare to learn as much as I can about the spanish system, what I need to know if moving to Tenerife and improve my spanish further.

clivey
23-12-2013, 21:13
This is a great thread with some real Tips and Warnings.

Sergiy Lesyk
05-01-2014, 10:15
i was and still looking for a flat and discovered that none of the estate agents would do a viewing on saturday or sunday, in London or Moscow the real estate market is much stronger and yet you would view a property over a weekend - is it not an opportunity? I guess there are more gaps like that in the market. overall, of course, it is a place where you would retire rather than look for a job. Does any one know, by the way, how hard it is to open a casino in the south tenerife?

JPTenerife
05-01-2014, 10:44
by the way, how hard it is to open a casino in the south tenerife?

It's as easy as opening a marijuana farm inside the Drug Enforcement Agency building.

Hope this answers your question. ;)

Sergiy Lesyk
05-01-2014, 12:13
i see, a bit tricky then ;) thanks, i wonder how they think they are going to attract higher tier tourists...:confused:

LUCKY
05-01-2014, 12:28
i see, a bit tricky then ;) thanks, i wonder how they think they are going to attract higher tier tourists...:confused:

Mark my words the phoenix will rise from Lower GDS. When it is discovered:flatcap:

JPTenerife
05-01-2014, 12:33

Maybe they're trying to attract non gambling higher tier tourists. (https://twitter.com/tenerife_forum)
I know of a couple of hotels that would love to have an in house casino because it's a great money spinner and they've been here a long time.
How many casinos have you seen on the island? That would be the first thing I would ask if I wanted to open a casino. ;)

CIM
05-01-2014, 13:10
I frequently view on weekends although Iīve kept viewings to a minimum over the last 2 weeks so I can have a bit of time off. Most of the agents I work with will also view over the weekends so not sure why the ones you have spoken to have refused to.

Openeing a casino in Spain is not impossible. The yanks were recently involved ain a "mega casino" project in the mainland and were attempting to pit Madrid against Barcelona to squeeze out the best possible terms for themselves. Most recent news is it has all fallen apart though: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/13/us-spain-eurovegas-idUSBRE9BC0AQ20131213

I wondered when reading this if something on a smaller scale would be successful here and bring more tourists to the island.

Muppet
05-01-2014, 15:33
Only if you can get a significant change in law - even bingo is illegal

CIM
05-01-2014, 16:16
There are already casinos in Tenerife and plenty of bingo halls - they are not "illegal" so long as you go through the right channels. I would imagine there would be political interests to contend with though so by no means straightforward.

doreen
05-01-2014, 16:58
There are three casinos on the island, owned by the Cabiildo, all loss making I believe, and all for sale ...

http://www.laopinion.es/tenerife/2013/10/05/cabildo-vendera-tres-casinos-perjudicar/502063.html

murph
06-01-2014, 14:53
i was and still looking for a flat and discovered that none of the estate agents would do a viewing on saturday or sunday, in London or Moscow the real estate market is much stronger and yet you would view a property over a weekend - is it not an opportunity? I guess there are more gaps like that in the market. overall, of course, it is a place where you would retire rather than look for a job. Does any one know, by the way, how hard it is to open a casino in the south tenerife?

30 Years ago in the UK, you could barely buy a newspaper on a Sunday (and even then only till Midday)

Then people realised they were ''missing an opportunity'' and the world changed for the worse (in my opinion). My father had a small retail store, and our weekends disappeared, along with our family life as he felt obliged to compete.

The once peaceful Sunday has now gone and people are obliged to work when they don't want to and others shop instead of spending time with their families.

One of the joys of Tenerife is the slightly slower (although noticeable) pace of life at weekends.

I hope it stays that way!

languagefan
06-01-2014, 16:09
Absolutely not! I have seen so many expats come over with unrealistic hopes, lose their life savings over a short period of time and crawl back to England having got addicted to this amazing weather. They ended up getting jobs far worse than their previous jobs and have to put up with rain having tasted the pleasures of eternal spring.

Honest advice should be a major principle on informative forums like this, for people to plan proactively (a,b, and z!) not to drown under the false dream of a life in paradise.

When I first moved to Tenerife 3 yrs ago, I received a similar (cynical) feedback from this forum that I am grateful for. It helped me reevaluate my plans, and get ready to live a much humbler life earning one fifth of what I earned back in England.

I still love my life in Tenerife, but had to let go of plenty of luxuries and conveniences that I enjoyed in England. I will never dream of moving back to England after developing my current life style no matter how much money a UK job has to offer.

bez
01-02-2014, 18:01
Hi Timmylish, it's been almost two years since you posted this!! Lol. How is there now in Tenerife? We did 9 months in 2008...all guns blazing including a container of all our worldly belongings, but it was getting bad then, we were legal etc, and almost bought a property. Luckily we kept our property here.

Now 6 years on we are reconsidering buying a affordable holiday home..then gradually making the move over a couple of years...but we are very cautious and I digest everything everyone is saying, I would appreciate any updates on the state of affairs there.:spin:

Things are slowly picking up here...but wages are bad..I'm a joiner and wages are not rising!!

Well thanks again