PDA

View Full Version : It costs more to fly to Spain than New York

Canarian Weekly
23-03-2012, 13:10
CANARIAN travellers often plump forNew York or Caracas rather than mainland Spain, and no wonder because it is actually cheaper! The difficulty the Canarian tourist sector has of retaining its number of domestic visitors is simple: the price of flights. The Tenerife and Gran Canaria hotel employers agree that the cost of travelling from mainlandSpainto [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/costs-fly-spain-york/)

bonitatime
23-03-2012, 13:19
I actually read the original article and then checked the figures it was a very slanted article with dates picked especially to make their point

Tom & Sharon
23-03-2012, 14:05
It's not a very clearly written article.

It is not obvious whether the article relates to Canarian travellers to the mainland, or mainland residents travelling to the Canaries.

Either way, the quoted figures are dubious to say the least. You can fly to 7 destinations on the mainland (and vice versa) with Ryanair, and all fares are peanuts. If you are a Canarian resident, they are almost for nothing.

YOUNG GOLFER
23-03-2012, 15:24
Wrong username...

CIM
23-03-2012, 15:26
I thought the same. Very cheap if you are reident here to go to any of the destinations in Spain.
I have just paid flights for my missus to go to Caracas. It is 450€ to go via Madrid or 750€ to go direct from Tenerife to Caracas which is what she is doing - not bloody cheap at all!

Balcony
23-03-2012, 16:59
I was looking for flights from London to TFS for this Christmas...now I do appreciate not all the schedules are out yet, but I looked at Monarch who currently want £350+ each. Iberia via Madrid adds another couple of hundred.

London - New York return at same time £340!

Tom & Sharon
23-03-2012, 19:08
I was looking for flights from London to TFS for this Christmas...now I do appreciate not all the schedules are out yet, but I looked at Monarch who currently want £350+ each. Iberia via Madrid adds another couple of hundred.

London - New York return at same time £340!

You're right, I've just looked, but the article's not about prices from UK, it's about prices from the mainland to the Canairies and back.

Ryanair's schedule isn't out yet for Xmas, but I bet it's a lot cheaper when it is.

Balcony
24-03-2012, 09:06
Ryanair...can you get a cream for that?

9PLUS
24-03-2012, 09:46
The only problem with New York is it's full of ___________

cheers