PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife to mainland Spain - motorcycle

Roadkingrider
26-03-2012, 19:30
Dear all @ TF,
Am moving to mainland Spain, and want to take motorcycle - has new ITV, road tax paid and all documents. Hoping to sell there sooner rather than later, tried selling here but no-one has any money at the moment I think! But someone told me that it would have to be re-matriculated when I get to Spain? Surely not? Can anyone advise - if true will just have to stay here longer and hope for a buyer.

Roadkingrider
26-03-2012, 19:34
Am moving to mainland Spain and want to take my motorcycle with me - ITV, road tax paid and all have all docs - but someone told me it has to be re-matriculated once I get there? Surely not - Canaries were part of Spain last time I looked!? Can anyone advise - would appreciate any advice/experience.

dede
26-03-2012, 22:35
Yes im afraid you will have to get your bike matriculated if you take it to spain, my son took his and had to have it done,

Velocette
26-03-2012, 22:36
Very illogical if thats true. I hope not as I'm thinking of buying a car in Spain, and coming back to Tenerife on the ferry. I googled and the info that I got was that after buying the car in Spain, simply register it there, than just catch the ferry back, and that there would be no further complications.

If my info is correct than one would imagine it works both ways, and equally for car or bike. So like you I'm interested to see what the experts have to say.

dede
26-03-2012, 22:45
I think you will find it has to be registered here Velocette, how would you pay the tax on it,go back to spain every year??

My husband bought a motorbike over from malaga and we had to register it here in tenerife.

Velocette
26-03-2012, 22:47
Yes im afraid you will have to get your bike matriculated if you take it to spain, my son took his and had to have it done,

Thats simply outrageous . . . .I'm dumbfounded, such ******* mindless, pointless, timewasting, it really beggers belief that people who qualify as European, could create such pointless red taped tripe.

dede
26-03-2012, 22:50
Thats simply outrageous . . . .I'm dumbfounded, such ******* mindless, pointless, timewasting, it really beggers belief that people who qualify as European, could create such pointless red taped tripe.

Get used to it Velocette you will find lots of it here.

Greg
26-03-2012, 22:55
you only have to register the car/bike at your address, not re-register (get new plates) for the vehicle.

Velocette
26-03-2012, 23:09
Valid point indeed dede, I had assumed that could register it on the mainland and could get road tax here on the island, but I'm obviously not fit to be out on my own. Never the less, can't one buy a car in say, Dorset, send off the details to wherever it is they are, then go and live in the Norfolk Broads and just send off for your road tax to wherever. One doesn't have to do these things locally, there national, thought it might be the same here.

And it's simply too tedious for words that bikes, cars, and people, that are under the same national flag and laws have these petty rules, just because this is an island, it's still bleedin' Spain, why do they feel they need to REmatriculate, when moving from one to the other? . . . .perhaps each feels that the others 'matriculation' leaves something to be desired . . . . . . . .. . .

bonitatime
27-03-2012, 09:08
It has to do with the fact you pay less tax on purchases here
Friends of mine send the tax money back every year so they don't have to re register the car on he mainland
Their original plan was to put it in a container to get it back to Asturias but finally they drove it there.

www.soydeltete.es

Velocette
27-03-2012, 12:03
It has to do with the fact you pay less tax on purchases here
Friends of mine send the tax money back every year so they don't have to re register the car on he mainland
Their original plan was to put it in a container to get it back to Asturias but finally they drove it there.

www.soydeltete.es
Maybe I had too much Sangria last night bonatime, as I can't quite grasp what you mean. Why were they sending 'tax money' back, and back to where, that sounds v expensive and tiresome, where was the car bought, and where was it taken to, was it a new car? . . .sorry you'd have to spell it out for me.

Roadkingrider
27-03-2012, 12:49
Is there an 'expert' out there who could let me know ASAP if you do really need to re-matriculate a vehicle on mainland Spain if already done in Canaries? Have had some conflicting advice here, so would appreciate the genuine, official situation ' before I set off on my bike on the 60 hour crossing! Maybe a moderator could check this out as would be useful for many other TF users I feel.

Velocette
27-03-2012, 20:37
Is there an 'expert' out there who could let me know ASAP if you do really need to re-matriculate a vehicle on mainland Spain if already done in Canaries? Have had some conflicting advice here, so would appreciate the genuine, official situation ' before I set off on my bike on the 60 hour crossing! Maybe a moderator could check this out as would be useful for many other TF users I feel.

I'm as much in the dark as you regarding matriculation, and tax or duties to be paid, and can't find anything online to clarify, although the facts must be out there somewhere.

I have however come across Naviera Aramis a ferry company who operate a ferry twixt Huelva and Tenerife, it's said to be cheaper than the crossing from Cadiz, and only takes 34 hours 45 min, I've no used it myself but it seems a better choice.

Roadkingrider
28-03-2012, 16:08
I'm as much in the dark as you regarding matriculation, and tax or duties to be paid, and can't find anything online to clarify, although the facts must be out there somewhere.

I have however come across Naviera Aramis a ferry company who operate a ferry twixt Huelva and Tenerife, it's said to be cheaper than the crossing from Cadiz, and only takes 34 hours 45 min, I've no used it myself but it seems a better choice.

Thanks for that Velocette - and for taking the time to help fellow TF member. Am looking into the T to Huelva ferry, but they are not quoting online at the moment for that route. I now have it on very good authority - very experienced Canarian shipping company - that you do NOT have to change the plates when you import a vehicle from Tenerife to mainland Spain, but you have to pay 18% VAT in certain situations. Swings and roundabouts comes to mind! Cheers D