PDA

View Full Version : Is the end in sight for the Easyjet Scrum

delderek
27-03-2012, 12:50
27 March 2012
EasyJet to charge for pre-allocated seats

EasyJet will start charging passengers for the privilege of reserving specific seats for the first time, but the airline insists the move is to take the stress out of boarding rather than to raise more money.

The airline will charge £8 to reserve seats in rows two to eight, £12 for seats with extra legroom and £3 for all the others.

The carrier, which yesterday announced it would lose less money this winter than previously anticipated, said it will trial pre-allocated seating on several routes next month.

Chief executive Carolyn McCall told The Times the airline had spent £5m on a new computer system for seat reservations to "take the stress out of boarding", which she admitted was a barrier to people travelling with the airline.

She went on to say that she didn't expect the vast majority of passengers to pay to reserve seats and she insisted those who chose not to pay would still be able to sit with their flight companions.

The first destinations to offer the service include Sharm-el-Sheikh, Istanbul, Malaga and Alicante. The airline will email passengers booked on flights to these destinations to give them to option of paying for pre-allocated seating from April.

EasyJet announced yesterday that it expects half-year losses to the end of March of £110m to £120m, compared to a £153m loss in the same period last year.

It had earlier forecast a loss of £140m to £160m but it said the milder winter, which resulted in less disruption and lower de-icing costs, reduced competition and better than expected yields had cut its losses.

The carrier said rising fuel prices would add £145m to its costs in the second half of the year.

doreen
27-03-2012, 14:38
Excellent news - got to admit, Easyjet was low down on my choices because of no guaranteed seat.

macdonald5
27-03-2012, 17:20
Excellent news - got to admit, Easyjet was low down on my choices because of no guaranteed seat.

Same with us, we avoided Easyjet because of the mad rush
Will now put them in frame as prices not too bad for us in Scotland

Skeggy
27-03-2012, 18:24
I don't think that this annoucement will make any difference to us, we never join the scrum and wait until there is no longer a queue. Easy Jet is our airline of choice and on our many flights with them we have never had to sit apart, although it would'nt be the end of the world for a 4 hr flight. I can understand that families and those of a nervous disposition consider it important, and it is these travellers who will enjoy having the option of being able to select their seat. I prefer the advantegeous fares that we have enjoyed.

jim1joiner
27-03-2012, 19:16
if Ryanair start charging for reserved seat will they stop charging for priority boarding

caroletenerife
27-03-2012, 20:04
if Ryanair start charging for reserved seat will they stop charging for priority boarding
'STOP CHARGING'...thats swear words to the boss man..I doubt it very much:wink:

tfs1
27-03-2012, 21:54
Ryanair already do have reserved seating in rows 1,2, 16 and 17 - cost £10 ( overwing seats £2 cheaper than Easyjet). Priority boarding ie first on is part of 'reserved' package - so if you have reserved a seat you could be last on and still get the seat you have prebooked.

Priority boarding is still an option for those who want seats in rows other than those listed above.

I prefer to have the freedom to choose my own seat rather have one selected for me. Regardless of if I have to pay for it or not.