PDA

View Full Version : Do rewritable DVD's 'wear out'?

mike in chayofa
28-03-2012, 17:27
I don't watch much TV but there are a few programmes that I am currently addicted to and can't get on line apart from downloading them after they are shown (my favourite at the moment is 'Smash')

I can record them onto non-rewrtitable DVD's, but it seemed such a waste to record one episode onto a DVD, so I have tried using DVD+R and they always keep 'freezing'. Sometimes this is for a few seconds, but sometimes for 10 minutes (or more) which makes the programme unwatchable.

I know that I could watch these on the laptop, but it spoils my enjoyment to watch in this way on a 17" screen when I have two large screen TV's both with surround sound. The freezing occurs at the same time on both DVD players. There is no freezing on the torrent and if I put them onto a non rewritable disc, everything is fine - so it isn't the actual burning.

Both DVD players are good quality machines that usually play anything - an expensive Sony DVD and a touch screen Philips Cineos.

The rewritable DVD's that I am using are 'Memorex'. Do you think that a better quality DVD may solve the problem.

Any suggestions or advice most welcome

Taaaaa muchly

cressrt
28-03-2012, 18:10
We watch our downloads on the TV by connecting the PC via the RGB socket, most TV's have them now. The leads are readily available if you don't have one already. Some newer PC's can connect to the HD socket as well.
Hope this helps.

delderek
28-03-2012, 18:51
I don't watch much TV but there are a few programmes that I am currently addicted to and can't get on line apart from downloading them after they are shown (my favourite at the moment is 'Smash')

I can record them onto non-rewrtitable DVD's, but it seemed such a waste to record one episode onto a DVD, so I have tried using DVD+R and they always keep 'freezing'. Sometimes this is for a few seconds, but sometimes for 10 minutes (or more) which makes the programme unwatchable.

I know that I could watch these on the laptop, but it spoils my enjoyment to watch in this way on a 17" screen when I have two large screen TV's both with surround sound. The freezing occurs at the same time on both DVD players. There is no freezing on the torrent and if I put them onto a non rewritable disc, everything is fine - so it isn't the actual burning.

Both DVD players are good quality machines that usually play anything - an expensive Sony DVD and a touch screen Philips Cineos.

The rewritable DVD's that I am using are 'Memorex'. Do you think that a better quality DVD may solve the problem.

Any suggestions or advice most welcome

Taaaaa muchly

I would try dvd-r they have a better compatibility than the + format, it sometimes is not the quality but just the make, that some burners/players just don't like.

VideoMem
28-03-2012, 19:03
:eyebrows:Hello Mike,as a retired professional videographer I have come across this problem very rarely in the last 15 years or so, but the quality of the disc outsourced in the back streets of say India to save a few rupees certainly can play a part. When was the last time you ran a DVD lens cleaner in your DVD recorder ? In my business mainly as a wedding videographer the "Brides Mother" would beat me within a inch of my life if all was not well with the finished wedding DVD ! I used "Shinka" professional -R discs and I dont recall more than about 10 discs problems in all that time. see www.shinkamedia.com:wave:

I really must go to "specsavers" of course you were asking about Re-writable discs, again I have used the same ones for various jobs and have lasted 10 years and are still going strong!

mike in chayofa
28-03-2012, 19:08
We watch our downloads on the TV by connecting the PC via the RGB socket, most TV's have them now. The leads are readily available if you don't have one already. Some newer PC's can connect to the HD socket as well.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, but this isn't an option without changing my TV's. They are only 4/5 years old but do not have 'today's' connections, so I can get a picture but the sound has to come via the laptop

mike in chayofa
28-03-2012, 19:12
:eyebrows:Hello Mike,as a retired professional videographer I have come across this problem very rarely in the last 15 years or so, but the quality of the disc outsourced in the back streets of say India to save a few rupees certainly can play a part. When was the last time you ran a DVD lens cleaner in your DVD recorder ? In my business mainly as a wedding videographer the "Brides Mother" would beat me within a inch of my life if all was not well with the finished wedding DVD ! I used "Shinka" professional -R discs and I dont recall more than about 10 discs problems in all that time. see www.shinkamedia.com:wave:

I really must go to "specsavers" of course you were asking about Re-writable discs, again I have used the same ones for various jobs and have lasted 10 years and are still going strong!

Thanks for that info. I use a laser cleaner on all the equipment every couple of weeks.

The rewritables were bought for me. I don't usually use Memorex, so it's propbably worth a try using a reputable brand.

cressrt
28-03-2012, 21:32
Correct you also need a phono lead from the PC headphone socket to the phono socket on the TV, I'm sure it will have one ours is an LG over 6 years old as has one.

slodgedad
29-03-2012, 00:54
I have always been under the impression that any reusable media, (CDR, DVDR or external HD) have a limited life, ie. after so many uses the overwrite capability is used up.

Markles
29-03-2012, 18:12
Re-writable discs are recommended to ave around 1000 recording sessions before scrap, laser cleaners dont seem to remove the fog effect on the lens and found a q tip with switch cleaner first on one end and the dry opposite end brings the lens up like new.

Marc Weinberg
02-04-2012, 08:26
just a thought, have you got scart plug or composite on the rear of the tv? if so why not ditch the dvd/ dvd-r and use a media player.

junglejim
02-04-2012, 08:39
I bought an Iomega Screenplay hard Drive (1Terabite) afew years ago and it has RGB,composite HDMI and SCART connections - I have hundreds of films and Tv series on it with no problems . :hi:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iomega-Home-Media-Network-Drive/dp/B004R23XMY/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333352376&sr=1-8

mike in chayofa
02-04-2012, 10:35
Verbatim DVD - RW seems to have sorted out the problem.

Thanks for all your help