PDA

View Full Version : Healthcare for the retired in Tenerife

pablo80
29-03-2012, 14:14
Hi All,

Someone asked me yesterday what health care is offered for a person who is retired and thinking of living in Tenerife. Would he be covered by the Spanish national health care? Further down the line if they needed to be cared for in a nursing home would this be covered? Really didn’t know the answer. Just wondered does anyone have any experience or knowledge on the matter.

Tom & Sharon
29-03-2012, 15:14
Have a look at this:-

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinSpain.aspx

bonitatime
30-03-2012, 08:44
The concept of nursing homes isnt very usual here as Canarians tend to keep their family at home with them.

www.soydeltete.es

Bob
30-03-2012, 09:56
i know a couple of people who have put their parents into the Canarian care homes and they both had bad experiences. In fact this is one of the reasons we started Tenerife Nursing and Care.

pablo80
30-03-2012, 14:51
Thanks All,

Bob, I take it that "Tenerife Nursing and Care" is private, have you got a web-site could you PM me. Thanks

caretenerife
31-03-2012, 00:56
www.tenerifenursingandcare.com

tonythorne
12-02-2013, 16:24
No problem here...!
February 12, 2013 – UNITED KINGDOM - A second case of a new respiratory illness similar to the deadly Sars virus has been identified in the UK. The patient, who is receiving intensive care treatment in a Manchester hospital, had recently travelled to the Middle East and Pakistan. Doctors insist the risk of the new coronavirus spreading to the general UK population is “extremely low” and the situation is being closely monitored. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses ranging from the common cold to the Sars (severe acute respiratory syndrome) virus, spread through droplets of body fluids produced by sneezing and coughing. In 2002 an outbreak of Sars killed about 800 people after the virus spread to more than 30 countries around the world. The new coronavirus was first identified in September 2012 in a patient in Saudi Arabia who has since died. Soon after, officials identified another case - this time in the UK. The 49-year-old man in question had been transferred to St Thomas' hospital in London by air ambulance from Qatar. –BBC

Tarw
12-02-2013, 16:54
Dont know if your health is any better out here than back in the uk, but think some are closer to a hospital visit than others as blood pressure seems to be a problem with some in this climate, at the momment mine is spot on just sitting in a Spanish Bar on the beach called Testa Rossa 1e a pint free wifi and laptop plugged in no problem at all what a life loving every minute lmfao. Btw on the 6 pint now and never kicked anyone when they are down ran a pub myself for 8 years so i know what is what, i suggest some get paid up in full on their medical insurance. Thank you waiter i will have another, bye now to all my fans xxx and watch your blood pressure

deepdivejunkie
12-02-2013, 23:49
If you wish to have care in the home, I highly recommend Homecare Tenerife.

Website is http://www.homecaretenerife.eu

slodgedad
12-02-2013, 23:53
Most of the replies are very useful but I think the OP is asking for information on state care.

deepdivejunkie
13-02-2013, 00:16
There is a care home just off the autopista TF1 at Igueste de Candelaria which is easy to find if you live in the South.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=care+home+tenerife+candelaria&hl=en&ll=28.381829,-16.365187&spn=0.006938,0.009291&safe=off&client=opera&channel=suggest&hq=care+home&hnear=Candelaria,+Santa+Cruz+de+Tenerife,+Canary+I slands,+Spain&t=h&fll=28.381735,-16.364093&fspn=0.006938,0.009291&z=17

The care home is more or less in the centre of the picture

bonitatime
13-02-2013, 09:40
Over 65's are entitled to medical care as they have paid into the UK system. Somewhere on here there will be threads about this
There are care homes but places are limited And not sure how easy it would be to be eliglble

Mia
13-02-2013, 22:16
As a pensioner if you have paid national insurance in the UK for 30 years you need to ask the Department of Work & Pensions for a form "S1" before you move to another EU country. When you arrive in Tenerife and receive this you need to register with the Health office in Granadilla (if you are moving to the south of the island) I think an appointment is needed now but wasn't when we registered just over 2 years ago).
They should give you the relevant paperwork to take to the local health centre where you are going to live in Tenerife and they will sign you up to a doctor.
You will be given a temporary certificate which will be eventually replaced with a health card. The card may take up to 2 years to arrive though.

You should be fully covered for any healthcare you may need after registering at the doctors.

Goldenmaniac
14-02-2013, 09:48
Have a read here http://www.diana-mcglone.com/health.htm#entitlement re processing the S1

regards state care - social services at each Ayuntamiento are responsible for home visits and as you can imagine available funds and frequency and quality of visits vary enormously between areas but a legally resident Brit is entitled to the same care/helper visits as anyone else.... sometimes it can be as simple as a lass coming to pick up the person's prescriptions for example or as complicated as someone who is incapacitated of course.

The same goes for state homes... but places are VERY limited for everybody.

Anything of this nature starts through the GP who then gets social services involved. They will normally do an interview at the home and see what (if anything) can be done. It's also means tested in some Ayuntamientos and pensioners may have to contribute if they are in a position to do so.

Balcony
14-02-2013, 16:21
I was looking through my couple of Spansn-life guides and it recognised something that I expect many of you know that "Spain has a relatively small number of social workers and there are few state-funded homes fdor the mentally and physically handicapped, or residential nursing homes for the elderly. In fact, services for the handicapped and elderly are generally poor."

"There are three kinds of social security homes which are operated by Instituto de Servicios Sociale (INSERCO) for the elderly in Spain; homes for those able to look after themselves, residences for invalids or the chronically ill and mixed residences. To qualify for entry you must be aged over 65 (or 60 if an invalid or widowed) and be in receipt of a Spanish state pension, or be the spouse of a Spanish pensioer. Foreigners who aren't in recept of a Spanish pension aren't admitted to INSERCO homes, but may be admitted to homes run by provincial authorities."

I would imagine that many foreigners would give up at the anticipated red tape and have to seek help in the priviate sector. Here you would have to exercise great care that those providing services are qualified and licensed to provide the services.

First port of call would be a doctor who could recommend or put you in touch with an appropriate organisation, or professional counsellor.