PDA

View Full Version : WANTED in Tenerife Help needed..Is there a charity that supplies wheelchairs

caroletenerife
02-04-2012, 20:05
I found out today that a local resident has had to have their leg amputated, I only had crutches in the Charity shop. Does anyone know if there is a charity or society that helps people in these circumstances adjust to the change in their life, and could perhaps loan this person a wheelchair until they are well enough to use the crutches. many thanks.

canarybird
02-04-2012, 20:23
Perhaps you could contact the Lions' Club. They may be able to help out.

Sorry I don't know their address in the south but I think they are in the local English papers.

YOUNG GOLFER
02-04-2012, 20:55
I spoke to the OP today about this and i could not come up with a answer but if you have no luck then i would be willing to help raise enough money to help buy one.
I was told by the OP the British lions could not help in this case.......which is cool i remember they gave around 2000€ towards a new roof for the family in Arico which we all helped with..... but i also know they can't help everyone.
So if anyone knows of a 2nd hand wheelchair up for grabs then i am sure we can all lend a little help.
Losing a leg is one thing but not having some form of transport to get around is another.

Come on guys this forum is the very best in helping people in their time of need let's get this chair for this person.
Theres nothing better than helping others in their time of need.

caroletenerife
02-04-2012, 21:00
cheers Stuart x

YOUNG GOLFER
02-04-2012, 21:08
cheers Stuart x

My name is YOUNG GOLFER lol

Do me a favour and move your shop you are always on the want ....and my wife has way to many clothes lol.

tracy hampshire
02-04-2012, 21:12
have you tried the red cross, they are always quite helpfull

YOUNG GOLFER
02-04-2012, 21:18
Just had a quick look around the web and seen they are about 350€ brand new for a light weight one are there any businesses out there who could give us a better deal?

caroletenerife
02-04-2012, 22:10
My name is YOUNG GOLFER lol

Do me a favour and move your shop you are always on the want ....and my wife has way to many clothes lol.
Begging is my business xx. aye but she looks good....you should try buying something , try and keep up with her lol

have you tried the red cross, they are always quite helpfull
Thanks, I told the persons friend who came to the shop to try the Red Cross x

tonypub
02-04-2012, 22:34
charity night coming soon:wink:

Megaloo
02-04-2012, 22:39
Not sure about The Anglican Church in the South but the one here in the North I think loan out wheelchairs I know a friend had one some time ago when she came out of hospital worth enquiring..

caroletenerife
02-04-2012, 23:35
charity night coming soon:wink:
you offering?

tonypub
02-04-2012, 23:39
you offering?i have been asked and said yes

caroletenerife
02-04-2012, 23:42
i have been asked and said yes
Good man xx, I shall go and find the friend that came into the shop, she works at one of the little bars down from orlando, she will know all the details

tonypub
02-04-2012, 23:50
Good man xx, I shall go and find the friend that came into the shop, she works at one of the little bars down from orlando, she will know all the detailsgrandad n becky sortin it ,im in ENGERLAND:c2: atm im back next week

YOUNG GOLFER
03-04-2012, 05:43
grandad n becky sortin it ,im in ENGERLAND:c2: atm im back next week

Great news mate just let us know the details i am sure we will get a few forum members turn up.

Tom & Sharon
03-04-2012, 08:22
Just had a quick look around the web and seen they are about 350€ brand new for a light weight one are there any businesses out there who could give us a better deal?

350€ ??? ???

See here:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIGHTWEIGHT-FOLDING-SELF-PROPEL-WHEELCHAIR-/360441923456?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disabili ty_Medical_ET&hash=item53ec034780

It's all I paid for mine, but sorry I still need it.

If Tonypub can bring one with him, you can carry them for nothing on the aircraft, he'll just have to pretend it's his!

YOUNG GOLFER
03-04-2012, 08:57
I had a quick look last night on a site here in Tenerife but looking at your link it's a much better price.
Ok over to you then Tony...if we wait til caroletenerife can confirm this guy needs one for sure then maybe someone could bring one over.

tonypub
03-04-2012, 08:59
im going to offer the use of my mobility scooter till he gets used to his crutches.dunno what you all think but it may be worth trying to raise a few bob towards buying a 2nd hand scooter.ill bring a wheelchair back if you all think thats the better option

Tom & Sharon
03-04-2012, 09:22
im going to offer the use of my mobility scooter till he gets used to his crutches.dunno what you all think but it may be worth trying to raise a few bob towards buying a 2nd hand scooter.ill bring a wheelchair back if you all think thats the better option

As someone who has recently been incapacitated, and only effectively has the use of one leg, I now view things with different eyes.

He will need something for in the house as well until he gets used to it, and a mobiity scooter is too big for that. I would have thought he needs both.

YOUNG GOLFER
03-04-2012, 09:22
Nice one mate.....with all the hills here maybe a mobilty scooter is a better idea.
If we can find out a little more about this guy and check to see if this man wants the help then great.......i am sure we can all do our bit to help out.

tonypub
03-04-2012, 09:28
Nice one mate.....with all the hills here maybe a mobilty scooter is a better idea.
If we can find out a little more about this guy and check to see if this man wants the help then great.......i am sure we can all do our bit to help out.ill get in touch with grandad n get him to find out what they guy wants/needs

caroletenerife
03-04-2012, 10:32
I only know the bare basic facts just now. That he went into hospital with sore leg and they found that an old metal plate that had been put in years before had gone gangerine??. I think they took the leg off straight away, so it will have come as a great shock.

I will go and find his friend today and find out more details...thanks everyone for their concern and help..speak soon.xxx

tonypub
03-04-2012, 10:40
his name is cliff and he hung about round wigan arms area if anyones wondering

caroletenerife
03-04-2012, 20:29
I spoke to his friend today. There doesnt seem to be any firm plans for the future as yet. As this gentleman is elderly and lives alone, people are trying to contact family members in the UK to find out whether it would be best for him to return home or whether it is possible for him to stay in Tenerife (which currently is his wish). He is still in hospital and will be for a couple of weeks. Some one is going to the hospital tomorrow to speak to the doctors, then contact his relatives. Thats all i know for now xx

Tom & Sharon
03-04-2012, 22:18
I only know the bare basic facts just now. That he went into hospital with sore leg and they found that an old metal plate that had been put in years before had gone gangerine??. I think they took the leg off straight away, so it will have come as a great shock.

I will go and find his friend today and find out more details...thanks everyone for their concern and help..speak soon.xxx

I know this is going off at a tangent, but I'm even more glad I didn't have that pin or plate in at Hospiten now. This is what I was afraid of!