PDA

View Full Version : Grocery shopping on Sundays?

LauraB
02-04-2012, 21:31
Hello everyone,
We will be arriving for our first holidays on Tenerife on Easter Sunday, staying in Granadilla de Abona. We will be self-provisioning (with a toddler, no less!) and wanted to know if any supermarkets have Sunday hours at all, especially on a holiday weekend. Or should we bring what we can to get us through the first day+night and buy a liter of milk at a gas station on the way from the airport? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks so much!

footiefan
02-04-2012, 22:11
welcome to sunny tenerife,the only supermarkets probably open will be found in the tourist areas such as San blas on the golf du sur or in the resorts of los cristianos/playa americas but dont hold out much hope,as Easter is a very important holiday period here, however the petrol stations may have some of the goods you need, if you can bring some food with you just in case, something to keep you going, depending on where you are staying it might be an idea to eat out on the first night, meals in spanish villages/towns tend to be cheaper than in the main resorts, there is a mcdonalds in chafiras!! if you need some more info please do feel free to PM me

LauraB
03-04-2012, 08:23
Thank you, footiefan! I didn't expect much would be open on Easter Sunday but, since we've never been to Tenerife, thought it better to ask in advance than to show up with a cranky, hungry toddler. We're looking forward to our stay!

Mia
05-04-2012, 14:26
The big Mercadona store we use in los Olivios (Adeje) will be closed Thursday (Maundy Thursday) and Good Friday.

Business as usual on Monday, as Easter Monday does not seem to be an official holiday here.

Of course as footiefan said the shops will be open in the tourist areas.

Have a good holiday :)

Graceylacey
05-04-2012, 14:54
As you are staying in Grenadilla de Abona, you will find that the supermarket Hyper Dino in El Medano will be open!

LauraB
05-04-2012, 21:31
Outstanding, Graceylacey -- thank you so much for the tip!!!

Thank you, Mia -- I hadn't thought about the possibility of Monday being an official holiday, too. Thank goodness for us that it doesn't seem to be. I appreciate your help!