PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones One or two sims solution for Tenerife to UK Mobile requirement plus data usage?

Hip_Hop
05-04-2012, 21:14
I am shortly relocating to Teneriffe for 3-4 months. I have an unlocked HTC desire handset and want to make mobile to mobile calls to the UK.

Unfortunately there is no wifi signal in the rooms at the resort except in the reception area.

I know I can load Skype and What App to make voice calls and send text messages when I am within wifi hot spot range in reception and when I am out and about but not alas in the room.

Any recommendation on a reasonable local sim that will enable me to make cheap calls to UK mobile and to get access to cost effective data usage for basic surfing i.e emails without attachments or to use skype or what app if voice credit is low or when I am away from local wifi hotspots?

Any help would be appreciated. I am leaving my UK T-mobile monthly sim contract with my partner in the UK for her use and will be without sim card on arrival in Tenerife. I appreciate that I could spend days researching different sim card offerings but if anyone could recommend a viable solution, it would be really appreciated. I want to keep in touch with my better half.....Thanks

TenerifePool
05-04-2012, 23:12
Más móvil have great deals on uk calls and for mobile data connections. If I remember correctly I pay less per minute to the UK than on a local call (although the cost of connection is higher). Works great on my HTC.

Hip_Hop
05-04-2012, 23:47
Thanks Tenerifepool,

Had a look on their site and if I have understood right they offer 1 GB data plan and 8.5 c for calls but not sure to whom? Cost given as 14.90 e per month plus IVA. Also 3 cts per Mb for going over data of 1 gb.

35 cts connection with 19cts per minute to Mobiles in UK I believe.

With the 3cts per mb racking up for exceeding 1 gb limit. Does anyone know if you get a warning text if going over? Also how long in minutes on skype to UK mobile does 1 gb give approx? As I haven't a clue.

TenerifePool
06-04-2012, 00:42
I generally connect my phone via WIFI and only use the data connection occasionally. Sorry, no idea if they warn you or not. I do recieve a text and an email when my call credit is low.

http://www.masmovil.es/en/talk-and-data/compare

They have s service where they call you to answer your questions.

TP

delderek
06-04-2012, 10:13
Thanks Tenerifepool,

Had a look on their site and if I have understood right they offer 1 GB data plan and 8.5 c for calls but not sure to whom? Cost given as 14.90 e per month plus IVA. Also 3 cts per Mb for going over data of 1 gb.

35 cts connection with 19cts per minute to Mobiles in UK I believe.

With the 3cts per mb racking up for exceeding 1 gb limit. Does anyone know if you get a warning text if going over? Also how long in minutes on skype to UK mobile does 1 gb give approx? As I haven't a clue.

There is a free App for android called 3g watchdog, shows how much you have used, which can be set to your allowance. It works very well.

Hip_Hop
06-04-2012, 12:13
Thank you to both Delderek and Tenerifepool.

Masmovil appears to have a viable solution. I can't apply my UK mobile number to make an enquiry or to speak with a rep to arrange a sim card in advance? Don't know if it is only via DD or if I can purchase sim initially through retail outlet than arrange DD?

I have applied for an international account through lloydsTsb to get a local spanish bank account so that I can arrange a direct debit mandate.

If there are any advances on the Masmovil option,i'm all ears...Sorry, eyes!

TenerifePool
06-04-2012, 12:16
I bought mine from Premier Satelite in Los Cristianos opposite the Oasia Pasarilla shopping centre. As well as the DD option there's also an auto recharge via Credit Card or PAYG.

Hip_Hop
10-04-2012, 02:24
By way of update.
I have been offered a sim only solution of 20 cents connection charge and 8 cents/min for mobile to UK mobile and 1.5 GB data per month of 21 €

Above 1.5 GB month usage per month results in Download and upload being throttled at 128 Kbps but no additional traffic is charged. So no unexpected data charges, it would appear?

This is being offered through mobiles4spain.com as authorised distributors for BT Spain and uses vodafones network for data.

when I looked on Vodafones web page for spain the equivalent costs for the same package was prohibitively more expensive even though it's their network BT are using?????.

Mobiles4 spain can't offer their solution until I have an NIE number. I don't get a work contract until 2 weeks after arriving and the sim will take a further 7-10 days to arrive after this.

Also they take up credit references in Tenerife even though I have no history in Tenerife???. So for at least 3 weeks I will be without a sim card if I rely just on BT Spain!!!

I have an opportunity to get a sim from an agent on ebay (based in Spain) for mas movil sim card activated for data,
Activated to the rate 5, on the automatic top up system using credit card". This means I get the discounted rate of 3 cents per mb for internet instead of 5!

Calls to uk mobile 14 cents plus connection 32 cents

I can get this just with a passport and sent to me before I leave the UK but with an activation date for arrival in Tenerife. But will this cause problems when I want to get my BT spain sim having got one sim on passport already?

I am not sure where to turn too and I would appreciate any follow up advice as researching different sim card offerings is proving problematic by internet research alone. So personal recommendations are helpful pointers. also thought my independent research to date may help others?

Harlequin
16-04-2012, 22:10
I's a shame we only just agreed today pricing on our mobile products.

Hip_Hop
16-04-2012, 23:35
Sorry Harlequin your post isn't clear, what's a shame?

Harlequin
17-04-2012, 00:07
Sorry, I should have elaborated...

We've just launched mobile products on our website. That's what I meant to say, was just a bit pressed for time...

Hip_Hop
17-04-2012, 02:36
I's a shame we only just agreed today pricing on our mobile products.

Great, please elaborate....

We've just launched mobile products on our website. That's what I meant to say, was just a bit pressed for time...

Even better, as I haven't committed to a solution yet!
If you have a sim solution that is both more cost effective and can fulfill all my requirements, than I would like to hear more or be directed to where I can find out more. Unless I have misunderstood you?

Hip_Hop
26-04-2012, 01:18
By way of update.
I have been offered a sim only solution of 20 cents connection charge and 8 cents/min for mobile to UK mobile and 1.5 GB data per month of 21 €

Above 1.5 GB month usage per month results in Download and upload being throttled at 128 Kbps but no additional traffic is charged. So no unexpected data charges, it would appear?

This is being offered through mobiles4spain.com as authorised distributors for BT Spain and uses vodafones network for data.

I am arriving in c 2 weeks and have opened a Spanish bank account. And Will be getting my NIE the day after arriving.

Is anyone aware of a better offer than that available above that will allow me to make cheaper mobile to UK mobile calls for 20 cents than 8 cents per minute? And with 1.5gb data plan per month without further charges for 21 € excluding call charges?

Minimum calls charge is 8€/line/month don't know if this is above the 21€ data payable or inclusive?

Any useful pointers, would be appreciated.

Hip_Hop
28-04-2012, 02:20

Apologies Harlequin, hadn't realised until today that your website link was at bottom of message. What an idiot am I.... (Don't answer). Looked good when I looked earlier. Having a a problem looking further as IP is currently blocked for some reason probably technical hitch on website, so will try again Monday.