PDA

View Full Version : Education Why is it Tenerife's fault things don't work out?

YOUNG GOLFER
05-04-2012, 23:30
Sorry but i have read so many post over the weeks, months, years,and today about how things are hard in Tenerife and folk are going back to UK or another country.

But this should never have any negative reflection on Tenerife as a island.

People should look at themselves for making the move to Tenerife in the first place....it was your choice if things dont work out then you only have yourself to blame .

Tenerife is a great place to live,work or holiday in but please if things don't work out for what ever reason DON'T BLAME TENERIFE.

Sundowner
05-04-2012, 23:36
Sorry but i have read so many post over the weeks, months, years,and today about how things are hard in Tenerife and folk are going back to UK or another country.

People should look at themselves for making the move to Tenerife in the first place....it was your choice if things dont work out then you only have yourself to blame .

Tenerife is a great place to live,work or holiday in but please if things don't work out for what ever reason DON'T BLAME TENERIFE.

No blame "Young Golfer" he sold you that place you could not afford:whistle:

This is a joke..................:D

YOUNG GOLFER
05-04-2012, 23:40
Well if someone sold you a place you could not afford then who's fault was it?the person who sold it to you or the person who thought they could afford it.

tracy hampshire
05-04-2012, 23:50
moved here soley for love, have loved my time here, itīs a beautiful island with the most wonderful friendly people, we might make it yet or move on, but whatever happens that is our own personal choice, it will never take away what a wonderful, place this is .

Sundowner
06-04-2012, 00:13
Well if someone sold you a place you could not afford then who's fault was it?the person who sold it to you or the person who thought they could afford it.

Or the person who told you you could afford it!
And told you the rental returns would cover the mortgage.........

CIM
06-04-2012, 00:32

So an agent tells you to buy for 50,000€ and the rental returns will be 10,000€ a year you blindly go ahead? Nope... Down to you to do your research and ensure what you are being told is correct.

Same if you buy a bar or some other business. If the agent selling it tells you it is making X amount per month/year - you simply cannot make a buying decision based solely on that one source of info. Do your research/homework/due diligence because at the end of thew day if you go home pot less its you who gets the blame from your friends/family.

There are plenty of switched on, honest people on here you can ask, who are happy to give you honest advice. If you dont want to hear the truth and are simply waiting for someone to tell you what you want to hear then you have already failed.

There is so much info on here now about the pitfalls and dangers of buying a business/dodgy estate agents/rip off merchants that if you dont take the advice on board then you really are to blame when it all goes horribly wrong!

YOUNG GOLFER
06-04-2012, 00:33

Yes some of them agents are still here working sad to say....but got a feeling times are changing and these agents like others before will soon be gone.

TOTO 99
06-04-2012, 08:15
With respect,in which post does anyone "blame Tenerife"?

I for one would rather hear the harsh realities and I appreciate the honesty of Tracy and the others which will hopefully make people think before they dream their way into a nightmare. As she pointed out, she had good years but the recession has hit them. You can't seriously expect people to believe it's not happening YG. I'm a "glass half full" person myself but I don't kid myself that there isn't a problem.
If anything, I hope that the honesty of these people ends the stigma and eases the burden of those yet to come forward. And I believe there will be quite a number....

Simon-M
06-04-2012, 10:17
I hope that the honesty of these people ends the stigma and eases the burden of those yet to come forward. And I believe there will be quite a number....

I don't see a stigma associated with failure. If you came out here with a half baked idea about starting a business you have no experience with and it all goes pear shaped on you then that is down to your rose tinted glasses and nothing else. A fool and their money springs to mind on that one. That's a case of fail to plan and plan to fail. Nothing less and nothing more. These businesses fail no matter where you base them. The odd one will succeed though because lifes like that.

Then you have people who do all the research and go for it. Serial entrepreneurs if you like. Sometimes these fail too. You can't research a market if you are trying to create one and a lot of the research becomes guess-work. There are a lot of finger in the air calculations. If it works out then you are the hero. If it fails you put it down to experience and try something else. These types of people fail a lot but they also succeed a lot. These people are never without a job because they either create their own or they will do whatever it takes.

It just so happens because we are on a small island here the concentration of these types of people are in a very small area. It is highlighted more because someone always knows someone else.

You will always have more failures than successes in business and if you look at the research in the UK around this you will see that around 56% of businesses fail to make it to the 5 year mark.

sunseeker
06-04-2012, 11:52
i dont no wether i would say its tenerifes fault but i think that this being a crisis at the moment and this being a forum for english speakers you will see a bigger number of failure storys on the forum than you get on the streets and a bigger amount at the moment becuase of the general crisis all over the world.

Suej
06-04-2012, 11:56

They can't blame themselves now can they? I mean...............pfft!:wink2:

redarrow
06-04-2012, 12:03
Actually, I would say there is the odd scenario where you can say 'Blame Tenerife'. But I would also say it's pretty rare.

CIM
06-04-2012, 12:31
I noticed a long time back after living in many different places in the UK that so many people were fed up of their "crap town/city" and yearned to escape. I think a lot of the time its not really the place people are ****** off with but just the way their lives have turned out and perhaps not met all their expectations.

was reading paper today
5000 more jobless this month
230,000 jobless over the island
selling prices of properties 20-30 percent less then asking price
3 million EMPTY homes across spaiin

Shocking figures...

sunseeker
06-04-2012, 12:35
3 million EMPTY homes across spaiini cnat understand why they dont put homeless peopel in the enpty homes. shocking

YOUNG GOLFER
06-04-2012, 13:05
Well all homeless cases are different some due to no fault of their own some chose the way they live their lives.....anyhow who would pay all the day to day bills water/electric community bills Mortgages when there seems to be no jobs around.

Angusjim
06-04-2012, 13:09
Well all homeless cases are different some due to no fault of their own some chose the way they live their lives.....anyhow who would pay all the day to day bills water/electric community bills Mortgages when there seems to be no jobs around.

They should put an extra tax on Ex Pat sole agents & estate agents to help fund this:lol:

CIM
06-04-2012, 13:10
I pay enough tax already thank you!

YOUNG GOLFER
06-04-2012, 13:13
They should put an extra tax on Ex Pat sole agents & estate agents to help fund this:lol:

Yes a great idea (NOT) love to see some of the dudes out their living on the streets moving next door to me with their wacky backy,wine cartons, and 6 dogs.

Mawkin
06-04-2012, 13:15
I think that some times people come to Tenerife to escape from the problems they have in the UK and unfortunately for them most off these troubles follow them over. Take for examples people with money problems if they cannot manage the finances in the UK I wonder how moving here can help in any way.

CIM
06-04-2012, 13:15
Yes a great idea (NOT) love to see some of the dudes out their living on the streets moving next door to me with their wacky backy,wine cartons, and 6 dogs.

I know a young man living near you who has about 60 cats...!

YOUNG GOLFER
06-04-2012, 13:26
I think that some times people come to Tenerife to escape from the problems they have in the UK and unfortunately for them most off these troubles follow them over. Take for examples people with money problems if they cannot manage the finances in the UK I wonder how moving here can help in any way.

Yes i agree very true in many cases people think a new start in a new country will do the trick in fact it brings more problems,finding a place to stay,finding work,learning Spanish understanding the way things work here all these are added problems and many people go back to the UK and in a few cases not always together.

Angusjim
06-04-2012, 13:27

When did Andy loose his house :lol:

CIM
06-04-2012, 13:28
When did Andy loose his house :lol:
I haven't bought one yet - just waiting on prices to fall a bit further :)

Angusjim
06-04-2012, 13:31
I haven't bought one yet - just waiting on prices to fall a bit further :)

Well don't go near that place beside Sante Maria for advice the guy is a bit dodgy I hear, stick to award winning agents and you can't go wrong ;)

YOUNG GOLFER
06-04-2012, 13:32
What worries me about CIM is when he does buy one i wonder where it might be.....just hope it's not near me even though Sharon and Tom would like him a little further away might save them a bit of money on food and Whiskey.:bootyshake:

Tom & Sharon
06-04-2012, 16:44
What worries me about CIM is when he does buy one i wonder where it might be.....just hope it's not near me even though Sharon and Tom would like him a little further away might save them a bit of money on food and Whiskey.:bootyshake:

I hear I'm down for child minding 2 days a week as well!

caroletenerife
06-04-2012, 19:03
They can't blame themselves now can they? I mean...............pfft!:wink2:
Exactly!!!! The reason its always someone or something else's fault is because the British winge about everything. We excel at it, its probably the only thing left in the world where we are world leaders..winge, winge,winge:D

caroll72
06-04-2012, 22:41
No-one should blame tenerife when things don't work out for them.
Its what goes on in tenerife that can cause problems to some people, but as said before, people move to tenerife to escape from problems back in uk , but 9 times out of 10, their problems follow them.

Tenerife is a beautiful island, it's only what happens to some folk that make it ugly to them.

Harmonicaman
07-04-2012, 10:17
Tenerife made me trip up and skin my knee at work yesterday. I was thinking about a nice cool one in the Claddagh when I tripped over a stone. (Bloody Tenerife...):D

Simon-M
07-04-2012, 10:19
cant run away from yourself

That all depends on your psychiatric disposition. A schizophrenic could argue with himself over that one for some time.

jono
07-04-2012, 12:52
Hi
This is a very interesting thread.
I have massive sypathy for those who are struggling, and I hope they turn the corner.
The seduction of the product is mostly to blame, and alas we are only flesh and blood.
We would love to own a place in tenerife, but unless we could sustain a massive lose we shall not be temted, becaause it would sour my regard for this lovely (and very seducing) island.
Insted we will come often, and stay for as long as we can.
So I am going to add tenerife to the other major seductresses that begin with a T that can set the tears flowing.
Lets call them the three T T T
Tits
Tyres
Tenerife.... not allways in that order.
kind reg
jono

Sundowner
07-04-2012, 20:49

Before the recession people with no money could come to Tenerife and get jobs in the "Sun" it was a very attractive move............since the recession that has gone "Tits up" and although it is not Tenerifes fault it has resulted in many people going back to the U.K.

I don't think they blame Tenerife per se but do feel embittered that they have had to give up their dream!

It has been my observation that " Paradise in the sun" only works for the few..............look at Tenerife's history and see how many people migrated to South America in the past.

That said you are right............it is not the fault of Tenerife!!

amanda
07-04-2012, 22:08
canarians left tenerife to go to south america to find work not only there but also northern europe not only did they work hard but also learnt the langauge many canarians went to work on the farms by bray studios near windsor and they did work hard