PDA

View Full Version : What's the average price of a meal in Tenerife?

bank top bantam
12-06-2011, 06:46
could anyone tell me the average price of a meal and how much is a chinese?

Peterrayner
12-06-2011, 07:30
Lots of set price 3 course specials about for around 9 Euros try Fortuna Neuevo Los Cris

The Wok in Los Cris set price 3 course buffet all day including sushi bar 7.95 Euros.

Skeggy
12-06-2011, 08:22
Lots of set price 3 course specials about for around 9 Euros try Fortuna Neuevo Los Cris

The Wok in Los Cris set price 3 course buffet all day including sushi bar 7.95 Euros.

Unfortunately the Wok is now 8.95€ but still excellent value.

Peterrayner
12-06-2011, 08:32
Unfortunately the Wok is now 8.95€ but still excellent value.

My grandson thinks so they didnt even charge him

honda
12-06-2011, 08:45
Many Chinese buffets are still 7.50ish, but drinks can be a little costly.

Pink shoes
22-06-2011, 21:31
Hiya, I have just returned from Tenerife and paid 3.50 euro for a good breakfast with orange juice and on another occasion 6 euro for a help yourself type of again very good breakfast.

Dinners were approx 6.50 to 8.50 for a basic meal... sausage and mash, pie and chips, fish and chips.
However be aware of any extras...one night I had spaghetti and asked for the cheese to put on top...that was an extra price.

3 course dinners are popular for approx 10 euro
A 3 course Sunday roast.
Beware though of any extra you ask for... one night I had soup, pizza and then ice cream. I asked the waiter for chips to go with the pizza and got charged 4 euro for the few I received.

I saw quite a lot of frozen microwave meals being served in restaurants and am sure forum members can say which places sell freshly cooked meals.

Enjoy your stay in Tenerife.

tracey
22-06-2011, 21:35
The Overseas Asian is great fresh food but pricey (especially the drinks). We had a 2 course dinner for 2 ppl and it was nearly 60 euros.
I would go again though

henry
22-06-2011, 21:36
i go to the chinese place next to nacy´s spain in los cristanos right across from the sunday market and next door to nacy´s spain. i love their egg fried rice only 1.50 euros and i love their chili carne with rice only 3.50. that my meal. and i go to surfinf mini market and get me a bottle of coca-cola for 1.10 that a good saving. and i eat the food with the cola at the little park by caja canarias bank

Tarw
23-06-2011, 17:32
In my experience the food is nowhere near as good as the UK if you are looking at bar meals in size or price I find that Tenerife has gone expensive and the Chinese have had three rises in just over a year 7.50e not as cheap as where I live in UK. I think the title of rip of Britain has now gone to a new home and the self catering hol is no longer the cheapest option with supermarket prices higher than the UK for the things that I buy anyway like Pots, bread, milk and eggs and many other essential things.

Balcony
23-06-2011, 17:51
Undoubtedly you can eat inexpensively in Tenerife and it pays to look out for offers. I echo Peter's mention of the Nuevo Fortuna in Los Cristianos, where the set meal is not only cheap, but good. However, add drinks and they are normally priced!

We would reckon to pay between 40 - 60 euro for an evening meal for 2 with a bottle of wine. Sure you can eat cheaper, but suits us.

Bar meals, generally, rate as "cheap", neither good, nor so bad (there are exceptions , as with anywhere), a lot depending on your mood and perceptions on the day. LOL. Sometimes a 'cheapie' is just what your head and your stomach needs!

Tarw
23-06-2011, 19:17
Totaly understand everyone has their own budget and some people can just about manage the cheapy after paying for their holiday its all about value for money and in my opinion the cheapy has just dropped out of sight in favour of the AI which i think is the best option for those on a lower budget there again its just my opinion and i have been coming to Tenerife a long time.
Undoubtedly you can eat inexpensively in Tenerife and it pays to look out for offers. I echo Peter's mention of the Nuevo Fortuna in Los Cristianos, where the set meal is not only cheap, but good. However, add drinks and they are normally priced!

We would reckon to pay between 40 - 60 euro for an evening meal for 2 with a bottle of wine. Sure you can eat cheaper, but suits us.

Bar meals, generally, rate as "cheap", neither good, nor so bad (there are exceptions , as with anywhere), a lot depending on your mood and perceptions on the day. LOL. Sometimes a 'cheapie' is just what your head and your stomach needs!

atlantico
23-06-2011, 19:21
In Silencio . . . .. . . . ... . . . we go out, eat and get drunk for €20-€25 each. ( well, €35 me, €15 her ! )

If we 'go Chinese' , its €15-€20 each, as bottles of wine can be just €5

If we 'Go Spanish/local' , rabbit or goat stew x 2 and bottle of red = €20 !!!!

CaribeCelt
23-06-2011, 21:46
In Silencio . . . .. . . . ... . . . we go out, eat and get drunk for €20-€25 each. ( well, €35 me, €15 her ! )

If we 'go Chinese' , its €15-€20 each, as bottles of wine can be just €5

If we 'Go Spanish/local' , rabbit or goat stew x 2 and bottle of red = €20 !!!!

What is the name of the place in Silencio where you get the goat stew?

tonypub
24-06-2011, 03:25
all inclusive down to £14 a day in some places.now thats bed,brekkie,snacks , lunch,evenin meal and all your drinks.mite be inferior quality but can you afford not to at that price?

Rickiebear
24-06-2011, 06:00
Hi, we can often find a number of 'Menu del Dia' three course meals with a drink from 7.50€, in Puerto de la Cruz.

Zara
24-06-2011, 06:50
In my experience the food is nowhere near as good as the UK if you are looking at bar meals in size or price I find that Tenerife has gone expensive and the Chinese have had three rises in just over a year 7.50e not as cheap as where I live in UK. I think the title of rip of Britain has now gone to a new home and the self catering hol is no longer the cheapest option with supermarket prices higher than the UK for the things that I buy anyway like Pots, bread, milk and eggs and many other essential things.

I am currently in the UK and amazed at this statement I have been shopping at both Tesco and Asda and was horrified to find a loaf of bread at over £1.20 and a carton of milk 89p. At home for exactly the same I would be paying €0.60 for sliced bread and €1.20 for 3 sticks of Spanish bread. Similarly with milk approx €0.59 - €0.79 depending on type per carton.

I had a coffee and a very average cookie in a scruffy little cafe 'Poppins' yesterday £4.60p and earlier in the week a coffee in Costa Coffee £3.50 hence the scruffy little place !!! IMO my cafe con leche in Los Cris at €1.50 is far better value.

Skeggy
24-06-2011, 07:19
I was amazed to see an English resident in Tenerife pay 3€ plus for a Kingsmill sliced loaf on price comparisions it is essential to treat like with like, on our visits to Tenerife we find prices very comparable ie Mercadona v Tesco but what I feel is the very big difference in what
local shops charge, I know there are differences in Britain but feel they are greater in Tenerife and Spain generally.
Sorry I am off topic here, I just read Zara's good post and followed, not taking the thread title in to consideration.

Balcony
24-06-2011, 07:29
Got to agree about the coffee in Tenerife - far superior and far cheaper and far nicer outlook!

I am currently in the UK and amazed at this statement I have been shopping at both Tesco and Asda and was horrified to find a loaf of bread at over £1.20 and a carton of milk 89p. At home for exactly the same I would be paying €0.60 for sliced bread and €1.20 for 3 sticks of Spanish bread. Similarly with milk approx €0.59 - €0.79 depending on type per carton.

I had a coffee and a very average cookie in a scruffy little cafe 'Poppins' yesterday £4.60p and earlier in the week a coffee in Costa Coffee £3.50 hence the scruffy little place !!! IMO my cafe con leche in Los Cris at €1.50 is far better value.

Zara
24-06-2011, 07:30
I was amazed to see an English resident in Tenerife pay 3€ plus for a Kingsmill sliced loaf on price comparisions it is essential to treat like with like, on our visits to Tenerife we find prices very comparable ie Mercadona v Tesco but what I feel is the very big difference in what
local shops charge, I know there are differences in Britain but feel they are greater in Tenerife and Spain generally.
Sorry I am off topic here, I just read Zara's good post and followed, not taking the thread title in to consideration.

Skeggy if that is referring to my post I said over £1.20 for a sliced loaf which is approx €1.35 so more than double what I pay in Mercadona for similar. But not over €3???

Skeggy
24-06-2011, 07:54
Skeggy if that is referring to my post I said over £1.20 for a sliced loaf which is approx €1.35 so more than double what I pay in Mercadona for similar. But not over €3???

No I was not referring to you at all but to an incident when I was in Iceland and a sliced Kingsmill loaf was 3€ plus. A british expat purchased one at that price unbelievable, ok some holidaymakers will say I eat that at home and I'm on holiday so never mind the cost but for someone who lives there? Mercadona as you say offers much better value.

Tarw
24-06-2011, 08:47
Well i have just returned home from Tenerife and Mercadona are selling a 700g sliced loaf for 1.39 Tesco 800g 60p Milk was about a euro a litre Tesco is £1.00 for 2 litres Butter currently 4 euro a kilo Tesco £1.80 eggs 1.55 iceland £1.00 Pots about 1 euro per kilo Tesco 37p and meat is the same quite expensive over there, and Zara here is a print right from the tesco page at present (Tesco Value Medium Sliced White Bread 800G 0.47p) so dont know what you find amazing about that with the euro at almost even money which is the most expensive and it neve used to be like this By the way i do own a place there now so i know what prices are in Mercadona and my food bill when im there can be almost double what i spend in the UK.

Zara
24-06-2011, 09:01
Well i have just returned home from Tenerife and Mercadona are selling a 700g sliced loaf for 1.39 Tesco 800g 60p Milk was about a euro a litre Tesco is £1.00 for 2 litres Butter currently 4 euro a kilo Tesco £1.80 eggs 1.55 iceland £1.00 Pots about 1 euro per kilo Tesco 37p and meat is the same quite expensive over there, and Zara here is a print right from the tesco page at present (Tesco Value Medium Sliced White Bread 800G 0.47p) so dont know what you find amazing about that with the euro at almost even money which is the most expensive and it neve used to be like this By the way i do own a place there now so i know what prices are in Mercadona and my food bill when im there can be almost double what i spend in the UK.

I don´t know which Mercadona you use, as I said the price of my milk in the litre cartons varies between 59 and 79 cents. for semi skimmed, I dont know how many grams are in the bread I buy but it is brown wholemeal and has 16 slices. I bought brown bread in Tesco but not the value as I like a bit of taste :eyebrows: My Mercadona butter is 99c and the soft marg I use for cooking is 65c. I tend to buy my eggs and veg from the farmers market so don´t know the current prices. However I do agree if you buy UK brands in places like Mercadona or HiperDino you will pay a lot more than in the UK I suppose due to having to be imported.

Edit: I should say I find Mercadona at Chafiras more expensive than the one in Cabo Blanco or Adeje.

Oberon
24-06-2011, 10:32
It certainly pays to shop around here. The other day I bought a selection of vegetables and fruit in my local shop for 3.50€. I then went to Mercadona (Cabo Blanco) and took the time to weigh the produce and work out that it would have cost me over 9.50 €.

Mercadona is only cheap for certain things, Lidl is worth a look. Neither of them are cheap for fruit and veg which you can find fresher and cheaper elsewhere.

About 3 years ago the pound was devalued by about 30% - this has the effect of making Iceland cheaper (for expensive foreign imports) and everywhere else more expensive (when comparing). Even taking this into account, I still don't think groceries are more expensive in Tenerife.

Back to the thread title - last night I was strolling in Los Cristianos flitting from bonfire to bonfire and I saw them bring a paella out of the kitchen in a bar (Olaff). Walked in, sat down, stuffed ourselves - 2 large plates of paella, a beer, a glass of house red, 1 ice-cream 14 €. (7 each).

I would expect a reasonable meal in a restaurant around here to be at least double that.

atlantico
24-06-2011, 12:34
What is the name of the place in Silencio where you get the goat stew?

On corner of Coral Mar square, at front is a Spanish Bar called Patio Del Coral. They have opened a small restaurant next door and Rabbit is about €6.90, and goat is €7.60. Wine by glass is €1.50 and their Baraquitto has 50% Liqueur 43 in it ! The leg of lamb for 2 at €18 is great . . . . . and big ! They do a cod type fish with caramelised onions for €6.80 which is as near to cod as we've ever tasted.

Apollo
24-06-2011, 13:17
I think they key is to get out of the tourist areas.
Up around where we live, San Lorenzo, El Roque, San Miguel etc etc you can get wonderful cuisine for a fraction of the cost of the tourist zones. That said, the mongolian in Los Cris came as a pleasant surprise!

Tarw
24-06-2011, 13:21
Tesco Wholemeal Medium Sliced Loaf 800G
£0.60 the milk is in the green and white carton think its 96c per litre semi and butter 99c thats for 250g = 4 euro a kilo uk I.80 exactly what i said, and its the eugenio Mercadona and i dont buy UK brand to dear. I keep hearing if you buy UK brands they are more expensive but does that warrent double the price when you inport by the container load< i dont think so. For example Iceland has changed the butter they sell it was the one marked at £1.50 and was on sale for about 2 euro i think, now they have changed the make and put the price up by 1 euro but in the UK it has only gone up 25p but the import duty wont have changed so there we go another bit of play on increases. Same old excuse imort duty all the time but when you are bringing in stuff buy the container i dont think it justifies the increase that is slammed on top of every item, couple of cents maybe no problem we have to cover shipping but not 40%/ or in some cases more than 100%.
I don´t know which Mercadona you use, as I said the price of my milk in the litre cartons varies between 59 and 79 cents. for semi skimmed, I dont know how many grams are in the bread I buy but it is brown wholemeal and has 16 slices. I bought brown bread in Tesco but not the value as I like a bit of taste :eyebrows: My Mercadona butter is 99c and the soft marg I use for cooking is 65c. I tend to buy my eggs and veg from the farmers market so don´t know the current prices. However I do agree if you buy UK brands in places like Mercadona or HiperDino you will pay a lot more than in the UK I suppose due to having to be imported.

Edit: I should say I find Mercadona at Chafiras more expensive than the one in Cabo Blanco or Adeje.

Chivas Regal
24-06-2011, 13:55
It is what it is, you either pay it or you don't!
Most people are spending two grand going on holiday so if they're going to moan about 50 cents on a tub of butter then they could have had 2000 packs of the stuff if they'd stayed at home! Plus if you stay at home you're also unlikely to need any suncream!!!
For the 3 of us self catering for two weeks we'll probably buy 2 packs of butter! So thats about 4 euros! Or I can't believe it's not butter! (I can't believe it costs over a euro more like) :)
Anyay, the San Miguel is quite cheap and last time I was there I got a free San Miguel Sombrero! Everyones a winner!!!

Tarw
24-06-2011, 16:50
Sounds like you are fortunate enough to be able to eat out all time unfortunately not everyone is in your position and have to cut corners to enable themselves to take the holiday and every penny saved is a big deal and its value for money that these people are looking for that is why the place seems very quiet at the moment, I have my own place and my daughter and her family have just gone to Turkey because it was cheaper than going to Tenerife when she added up all the expected costs. If you are in a position where you do not have to worry about extras when you are there then good luck to you but everyone is different and we all look for different things out of a holiday.
It is what it is, you either pay it or you don't!
Most people are spending two grand going on holiday so if they're going to moan about 50 cents on a tub of butter then they could have had 2000 packs of the stuff if they'd stayed at home! Plus if you stay at home you're also unlikely to need any suncream!!!
For the 3 of us self catering for two weeks we'll probably buy 2 packs of butter! So thats about 4 euros! Or I can't believe it's not butter! (I can't believe it costs over a euro more like) :)
Anyay, the San Miguel is quite cheap and last time I was there I got a free San Miguel Sombrero! Everyones a winner!!!

edsa
24-06-2011, 17:00
Can you tell me where these places are to get all inclusive for £14 a day, would be handy to know.

Chivas Regal
24-06-2011, 18:45
Sounds like you are fortunate enough to be able to eat out all time unfortunately not everyone is in your position and have to cut corners to enable themselves to take the holiday and every penny saved is a big deal and its value for money that these people are looking for that is why the place seems very quiet at the moment, I have my own place and my daughter and her family have just gone to Turkey because it was cheaper than going to Tenerife when she added up all the expected costs. If you are in a position where you do not have to worry about extras when you are there then good luck to you but everyone is different and we all look for different things out of a holiday.

OK but surely when you go on holiday to another country you can expect to pay a bit more for what you're used to at home!
Bread, butter, ham, cheese, drinks etc are not that badly prices in Tenerife if you're on a budget!
If it's just about getting the cheapest holiday then go in a caravan. If it's guaranteed sun, lovely evening strolls, amazing sunsets then come to Tenerife!
Besides you talk about Tenerifes prices going up 100%, what about Turkeys? 500% in ten years??? Now who's taking the holiday maker for a ride?

Tarw
24-06-2011, 20:18
No think your wrong m8 this boom started the way it did because of the cheap afordable costas holidays many years ago because people realised they could go on hols and have fantastic value for money, and has for your coment if its just a cheap holiday go in a caravan i dont need to i got my own place in Tenerife im just stating facts as i have seen the prices rises and can remember when it was cheaper than the UK. As for Turkey dont matter if its gone up 1000% if its better value for your pound its better value if you can go AI there cheaper than SC in Tenerife thats what a lot of people will do they are not always in a position to be able to afford to pay a little more, dont make no difference to me just stating how a lot of others think.
OK but surely when you go on holiday to another country you can expect to pay a bit more for what you're used to at home!
Bread, butter, ham, cheese, drinks etc are not that badly prices in Tenerife if you're on a budget!
If it's just about getting the cheapest holiday then go in a caravan. If it's guaranteed sun, lovely evening strolls, amazing sunsets then come to Tenerife!
Besides you talk about Tenerifes prices going up 100%, what about Turkeys? 500% in ten years??? Now who's taking the holiday maker for a ride?

9PLUS
24-06-2011, 20:56

Will this type of cheap wanting tourist spread like wildfire across the globe and lower all of the quality out there?

We are supposed to be moving the game up not down.

woolli
24-06-2011, 22:22
No think your wrong m8 this boom started the way it did because of the cheap afordable costas holidays many years ago because people realised they could go on hols and have fantastic value for money, and has for your coment if its just a cheap holiday go in a caravan i dont need to i got my own place in Tenerife im just stating facts as i have seen the prices rises and can remember when it was cheaper than the UK. As for Turkey dont matter if its gone up 1000% if its better value for your pound its better value if you can go AI there cheaper than SC in Tenerife thats what a lot of people will do they are not always in a position to be able to afford to pay a little more, dont make no difference to me just stating how a lot of others think.
Can I ask why you bought here if you are that disgruntled?

Tarw
25-06-2011, 08:23
Nothing to do with me being disgruntled just stating facts as it seems a lot of people out there wont admit how expensive the place has become and then moan why people are not spending when they come there, I bought there because i love it there and been coming for 25 years dont mean i have to agree with the cost of living there though does it and its not just my opinion i have seen it on here many times before written by other members. If you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that things are fine thats OK to but businesses are suffering and i think its due to the current climate and that includes people looking for value for money or maybe i am wrong.
Can I ask why you bought here if you are that disgruntled?

Chivas Regal
25-06-2011, 08:53

I meant people in general going in a caravan and not yourself!

Angusjim
25-06-2011, 08:53
[QUOTE=9PLUS;45982]Will this type of cheap wanting tourist spread like wildfire across the globe and lower all of the quality out there?

Mark I thought you had already started that :eyebrows:

Chivas Regal
25-06-2011, 09:00
Nothing to do with me being disgruntled just stating facts as it seems a lot of people out there wont admit how expensive the place has become and then moan why people are not spending when they come there, I bought there because i love it there and been coming for 25 years dont mean i have to agree with the cost of living there though does it and its not just my opinion i have seen it on here many times before written by other members. If you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that things are fine thats OK to but businesses are suffering and i think its due to the current climate and that includes people looking for value for money or maybe i am wrong.

Obviously you are correct but it's not just the prices of self catering products in Tenerife putting people off. So many people in the UK are finding it very hard just living in the uk! It's the overall "credit cruch" factor thats stopping people going away!
In my opinion if Tenerife dropped it's prices of butter, milk, cheese etc I think it'd make NO difference to the amount of people holidaying there from the uk! Not unless it was cut so much that it was virtually free like Bulgaria used to be!
Now ask yourself, do you really think Tenerife could drop all it's supermarket prices by over 100% and survive? Impossible I say!

9PLUS
25-06-2011, 10:25
I cant believe how much houses are, we used to live in caves and mud huts

pfft

x

Oberon
25-06-2011, 10:56
Nothing to do with me being disgruntled just stating facts as it seems a lot of people out there wont admit how expensive the place has become and then moan why people are not spending when they come there ........................... If you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that things are fine thats OK to but businesses are suffering and i think its due to the current climate and that includes people looking for value for money or maybe i am wrong.Oh Dear! Oh Dear ! It's sad if people from Britain can no longer afford holidays abroad. I think we are going to get more Russians here in the future..

with cheese
25-06-2011, 11:04
Or people from other planets

Balcony
01-07-2011, 13:09
I'm not against anyone going anywhere on holiday and watching the pennies, but over the past 20+ years of going to Tenerife I've seen it as a 'cheap' destination and gradually grow to a more prosperous island. With that prosperity comes a new outlook from the indiginous population who also want to share in that wealth being created. More building means more work for builders, plumbers etc (both in original construction and later maintenance). More people holidaying gives more opportunities for support services, bars, restaurants etc. Property owners want a better return, so rents rise, not just out of 'greed' but also these days there is more regulation and regulation compliance costs money. Think about (f-ing) health and safety....yes, it's in Tenerife looming large. That is part of the 'regulation' too. With all this the island has grown more sophisticated.

In short, Tenerife (as with many other places) is more expensive these days. Sure, some people get left behind in all this and still crave their 'cheapies' but I'm not so sad if many of them fall to the wayside and go to some other place that more suits their pocket. No disrespect to anyone, but I'd rather NEVER see some of the holes that line some parts of Los C and Playa. I'd much rather eat and drink at places that have made an effort away from half a dozen broken, dirty white plastic chairs; places that make you feel welcome and know 'service'; places where the chef does know how to cook even a full English.

9PLUS
01-07-2011, 13:26
Time moves on - some people don't

Stuck in a time warp

dixie4
11-07-2011, 03:32
I have followed this thread and for my two penneth the saying 'When in Rome' comes to mind.

If on a budget buy the local produce. If someone wants their Kingsmill bread and their regular brand of UK teabags then you pay the price.

I am rather partial to Marmite on toast as a snack and find local bread, sliced or otherwise perfectly OK. However, after six weeks at my apartment in Tenerife I had the urge for UK type bread, and I have to admit to paying an extortionate price for a good quality frozen English loaf. Toasted straight from the freezer compartment with a coating of butter and Marmite it was unadultarated bliss.

On that particular day I would have paid any price for that loaf.

On the original question of what is the average price of a meal in Tenerife my opinion is that there is better quality and choice up North. (No disrespect intended).

In the main square of Puerto a full English breakfast can be had for 2.50 Just off the square 4 courses and a glass of wine 'menu del dia' 9€. About half a mile out of the centre of Puerto the best fillet steak you have ever tasted and all the trimmings, bread and arioli included for 10€. It pays to speak to the older 'swallows' they know the best places.:hungry:

scoregolfbob
11-07-2011, 08:34
Why do The brits have to have their english food ? This is the island of Tenerife, Years ago people used to travel away on holidays and experiment with local food and culture, now all they want is to be in the sun and still be brits, WHY, you can live in Tenerife quite cheaply if you try, but sadly most brits want to be brits and think they are entitled to get what they want, at the cheapest price, i read on here all the time about PRIMARK ICELAND etc, when i lived in the UK i thought PRIMARK and ICELAND were crap, I still feel the same, as someone else said when in Rome.
Have a nice day all

Bob