PDA

View Full Version : Television Is UK TV legal in Tenerife/Spain?

Tom & Sharon
07-04-2012, 01:46
As per the title.

I had a clash of opinion this evening with one of our friends. He has the Miller TV (box and ariel) system, and we have Bay Connect internet TV. I said that all BritishTV (specifically BBC) was illegal in Spain.

He insisted that their system is fully legal, with licences ......blah blah...... paid to the BBC.

Who's right? Me or him?

Angusjim
07-04-2012, 08:50
I think all illegal viewers should be fined in line with illegal renters :whistle:

9PLUS
07-04-2012, 08:57
and shot including AngleGrinderJim

x

Muppet
07-04-2012, 09:26
Interesting question, and slightly complicated to answer.

It is not illegal to have your own dish through which you can view UK TV. This is deemed as being your good fortune. It is illegal to have a Sky subscription where a UK address is used, but the card is used abroad.

It is most definately illegal to receive UK tv and then re-broadcast it, even more so when you charge for the service you provide.

Receiving UK TV over the internet is more of a grey area. It is not illegal to advertise or use systems which cloak your Spanish IP address and which in turn allow you access to the UK (or any other country's) TV players, services set up specifically with this intention however could be seen legally as a very grey area although to my knowledge there has never been a challenge (yet). BBC and ITV do monitor the IP addresses using their players and have been known to block them.

Some providers of IP tv claim to have agreements in place with UK broadcasters to allow them to relay certain channels/programmes based on the fact that their target market is almost entirely (ex) uk residents. Another potentially grey area but more "legal" than the over-air systems needing aerials.

It all comes down to copyrights. When a UK broadcaster buys the rights to show a programme or sporting event they are paying to do so in their "territory" which in this case is the UK and Northern Ireland. What they are charged is dependant on the coverage of their signal and the efforts they take to restrict their coverage. This is why the majority use satellites with very tight beams focussed on the UK, and why here in Tenerife, huge dishes are needed to pick up these signals, whereas other channels (usually those with semi naked women!) can be picked up on smaller dishes.

Sky cards are not allowed to be used outside the territory for which they are sold. That is why, should you have a problem with the card or the box and need to call them, you will be instantly cut off if they realise you are not in the UK. Again it is all down to the fees paid for the copyright to show programmes in their own territory.

sunseeker
07-04-2012, 10:31
nice reply.

Suej
07-04-2012, 10:47
As per the title.

I had a clash of opinion this evening with one of our friends. He has the Miller TV (box and ariel) system, and we have Bay Connect internet TV. I said that all BritishTV (specifically BBC) was illegal in Spain.

He insisted that their system is fully legal, with licences ......blah blah...... paid to the BBC.

Who's right? Me or him?

You are right it is illegal! Only the righteous ones deny it!:laugh:

Tom & Sharon
07-04-2012, 11:09

It is not illegal to have your own dish through which you can view UK TV. This is deemed as being your good fortune. It is illegal to have a Sky subscription where a UK address is used, but the card is used abroad.

It is most definately illegal to receive UK tv and then re-broadcast it, even more so when you charge for the service you provide.

Receiving UK TV over the internet is more of a grey area. It is not illegal to advertise or use systems which cloak your Spanish IP address and which in turn allow you access to the UK (or any other country's) TV players, services set up specifically with this intention however could be seen legally as a very grey area although to my knowledge there has never been a challenge (yet). BBC and ITV do monitor the IP addresses using their players and have been known to block them.

Some providers of IP tv claim to have agreements in place with UK broadcasters to allow them to relay certain channels/programmes based on the fact that their target market is almost entirely (ex) uk residents. Another potentially grey area but more "legal" than the over-air systems needing aerials.

It all comes down to copyrights. When a UK broadcaster buys the rights to show a programme or sporting event they are paying to do so in their "territory" which in this case is the UK and Northern Ireland. What they are charged is dependant on the coverage of their signal and the efforts they take to restrict their coverage. This is why the majority use satellites with very tight beams focussed on the UK, and why here in Tenerife, huge dishes are needed to pick up these signals, whereas other channels (usually those with semi naked women!) can be picked up on smaller dishes.

Sky cards are not allowed to be used outside the territory for which they are sold. That is why, should you have a problem with the card or the box and need to call them, you will be instantly cut off if they realise you are not in the UK. Again it is all down to the fees paid for the copyright to show programmes in their own territory.

Thank you for that. I'm still a bit confused though.

Our friend is adamant that the system he has is legal, and that he is therefore receiving British TV legally, and that the BBC charge licence fees to providers all over the world, to enable these systems to be broadcast.

I still think all systems are illegal, but am not sure of my facts.

So who is right? Me or him?

Muppet
07-04-2012, 11:16
No Sue

UK tv in Spain or Tenerife is not illegal. How can it be illegal - you cannot stop a radio or TV signal at a border.

As in previous post, if you can receive a signal from a satellite then it is your good fortune.

What IS illegal is re-broadcasting it for profit, (i.e. the box and aerial systems). None of the "re-broadcast" systems pay a fee to the originators of the programmes even though the wording of their publicity seems to suggest they might.

IP tv where it is provided "free" as part of an ADSL and phone package is a kind of halfway house between the total illegality of the rebroadcast systems and the perfectly legal and good fortune of being able to receive programmes directly from satellites yourself

Added after 5 minutes:

Thank you for that. I'm still a bit confused though.

Our friend is adamant that the system he has is legal, and that he is therefore receiving British TV legally, and that the BBC charge licence fees to providers all over the world, to enable these systems to be broadcast.

I still think all systems are illegal, but am not sure of my facts.

So who is right? Me or him?

Neither as such. He is very very very wrong and you are slightly partially wrong !

CIM
07-04-2012, 13:02
Did the TV without frontiers directive make any difference to any of this? I thought that would have really opened the market up but nothing seems to have changed.

timmylish
07-04-2012, 14:28
Notwithstanding the comments above, just do a simple excercise please. Without a VPN (yes its me again!) connect to the BBC on-line and you will see the breach committed if you try to receive ANY UK channels outwith the UK and Ireland!

Tom & Sharon
07-04-2012, 17:01
Notwithstanding the comments above, just do a simple excercise please. Without a VPN (yes its me again!) connect to the BBC on-line and you will see the breach committed if you try to receive ANY UK channels outwith the UK and Ireland!

That was precisely my point in the argument, but the friend started spouting on that the Miller Rentals system he has is perfectly legitimate, and that licences are paid to the BBC from wherever the signal is from, and that this was done all over the world. I didn't think he was right, but not sure of my point, so backed down.

Harmonicaman
07-04-2012, 17:43

Tell me more about these "Other Channels" please Muppet...

Muppet
07-04-2012, 17:49
The list is virtually endless !! From Essex Wives onwards !

You can often buy some damned fine tut as well on the likes of Bid Up, Bid Down, (and presumably bid sideways) TV. These are the channels where gallons of fake tan is delivered to the studio every day - and that's just for the Geeeeezers wot sell the stuff. They all wear signet rings on their little fingers too - could be a sign!

Added after 2 minutes:

That was precisely my point in the argument, but the friend started spouting on that the Miller Rentals system he has is perfectly legitimate, and that licences are paid to the BBC from wherever the signal is from, and that this was done all over the world. I didn't think he was right, but not sure of my point, so backed down.

Your friend is so very very very wrong. None of his 100 euro a year "fee" goes anywhere near the BBC - if there is any doubt whatsoever in this statement, get your friend to give the BBC a call (for clarification purposes only of course) - I'm sure they will be MOST helpful.

atlantico
07-04-2012, 19:49
maybe, just maybe, his 'licence' with Miller IS LEGAL ! (ie. Miller fail to supply a service, they can be taken to court) Isn't it Miller who's committing the crime? If the BBC etc decided to clamp down and punish, wouldn't it be Miller/CSTI etc in the wrong, and then fined? Users are just 'lucky' they can pick up the signal that it distributed. As an end user, would they really know if a signal they 'find' is a legal one or not ?

"My aerial was bought to pick up Spanish TV, can't help if if it also picks up some UK channels "

Muppet
07-04-2012, 19:57
except that you have to buy the "special" box with which to accidentally pick up the transmission, with, accidentally, the correct current codes set, from, erm ...................

Anyhoo .....

9PLUS
07-04-2012, 21:41
No friends nor family signal for you Altantico

Muppet
07-04-2012, 23:26
So why are you openly advertising a service that breaks the law then?

AJP
08-04-2012, 00:49
As per the title.

Who's right? Me or him?I reckon your right................"If you like to watch UK tv programs with all the comforts from such programs you need to live in the UK" :ban::tv::ban:

slodgedad
08-04-2012, 00:59
I know it's all illegal but who would turn down a freebie that is broadcast illegally?

The receiver is legal but the provider is not.

Eventually Sky cards used here will be unusable when it's mandatory to use your phone line to stay connected.

Presently it's an option to do it but what happens if you have to connect to use?

timmylish
08-04-2012, 02:28
I know it's all illegal but who would turn down a freebie that is broadcast illegally?

The receiver is legal but the provider is not.

Eventually Sky cards used here will be unusable when it's mandatory to use your phone line to stay connected.

Presently it's an option to do it but what happens if you have to connect to use?

Some of my friends who deal with the footy sites all over the net and who deal with VPN,s etc are presently engaged in accessing Sky so that we emigree,s all over the world will be able to access that station more easily than at present. For sure there will have to be a charge for this service 'cause the equipment needed to host those sites is very expensive but it should provide what we seek. Not this year tho'!

Angusjim
08-04-2012, 07:38
Tell me more about these "Other Channels" please Muppet...

HM you have them in Fife - Kelty Kittens, Lochgelly Unwashed,Dunfermline Stotters, Glenrothes Cougars any others you can think of ?

bonitatime
08-04-2012, 09:05
Telefonica were offering UK numbers a couple of years ago

seanocelt
08-04-2012, 09:10
HM you have them in Fife - Kelty Kittens, Lochgelly Unwashed,Dunfermline Stotters, Glenrothes Cougars any others you can think of ?

Lochgelly lesbos? I can vouch for the Methil Mingers. Long time ago.

Harmonicaman
08-04-2012, 09:21
Kirkcaldy kerb-crawlers...morning guys, how are you? Best keep on topic...I've got Sky+.:laugh:

jas
08-04-2012, 09:39
if you absolutely have to watch english tv try film on on the internet - its free

cockney
08-04-2012, 10:41
Blimey o Riley what a complicated thread, yes or no would do for me:doh:

Suej
08-04-2012, 10:43
Blimey o Riley what a complicated thread, yes or no would do for me:doh:

As far as I can see the answer is not perfectly clear! I'll just keep watching until they pull the plug!:whistle:

cockney
08-04-2012, 12:51
:Exactly:crylaughing:

sunseeker
08-04-2012, 15:18
you selling CD tenerife stuff to people in santa cruz is it from uk

she runs the oficial club shop in santa cruz so i dout it.

Muppet
08-04-2012, 15:40
Dear Mr Satellite.

I am very confused, as are others I suspect.

You say you no longer install dishes because in the near future it will be impossible to pick up a signal from the new satellites as and when they progressively replace the old fleet and have now moved on to supply and install other methods of receiving the UK stations (via ADSL and VPN's etc).

You say that the new satellites will be using spot-beams so tight that no size of dish will even pick up UK TV channels in Southern Ireland, let alone Tenerife.

This will surely cause significant concerns for those (as mentioned by Loaded for example) who have just spent money (probably a lot) on upgrading systems on complexes, and you appear to be warning the forum that any contractor taking on the replacement or even a new installation, as of now, is potentially conning their clients since they should be aware of the forthcoming changes too. (and yes this is Spain!).

Yet on page 3 of this thread you have posted that Sky will still be here next year?

You should probably try to explain, as clearly as you can, exactly what you are saying.

Will Sky be available here in the future as you have said on page 3 of this thread (even if some king of permanent phone connection is required), or are you trying to say that, from the end of this year (ish) when the first of the new satellites takes up orbit, those who currently enjoy Sky through their own dishes (or those on their complex for which they contribute to through comunidad fees etc), will find that their channels will either be gone, or progressively disappear as the next 2 satellites are launched and take over?

It could be assumed from your recent posts that the only system that will allow access to UK TV here will be from the system you are now installing into homes. Would this be a correct assumption?

Muppet
08-04-2012, 16:13
Yet again you have failed. I didnt ask you to explain co-location SIMPLES

I asked you to confirm whether those who are contemplating (or have recently) spent money on new dishes etc have wasted their money because the new satellite is going to use tight spot-beams in order to prevent reception of the signal outside of the UK.

So ... ??

Muppet
08-04-2012, 17:55
It is a shame I can't use the type of language on here that I would like to and that I think you deserve.

You are clearly not worth talking too or even engaging in a conversation with. You appear to be talking out of several orifi at the same time. One moment telling everyone that they will lose tv, then when challenged come back saying something completely different.

I wish you the best of luck, with an attitude like yours you will certainly need it.

Good day

Added after 16 minutes:

Mods - I suggest you close this thread before....................... It is no longer serving any useful purpose

bonitatime
08-04-2012, 18:36
you selling CD tenerife stuff to people in santa cruz is it from uk

No mostly it comes from Valencia why?

sunseeker
08-04-2012, 23:10
As far as I can see the answer is not perfectly clear! I'll just keep watching until they pull the plug!:whistle:exactly. but i refuse to pay 500€ for a settop box and then get cut off the next week. thats why i got a vpn. if it gets cut off at least ive only lost 4€ for it for the last month. :)

timmylish
09-04-2012, 00:09
Muppet, although I rather assume that you know already but I reckon our Satellite person just talks as much drivel as can be thought up. No-one knows for sure what Sky intend doing and just in case any members here in Ireland are confused or worried. Don,t be. Sky have always said and continue so to do that their signals will be available to the British Isles and, because of that certain areas of N. Europe will also have access to said signal.That is it without any air of superiority of knowledge just plain andsimple info from sites owned or run by Sky.

poker
09-04-2012, 06:24
In Belgium we are watching UK tv for free over 40 years on cable now.

They must of had some agreement a long time ago to send it out .

Sent using Tapatalk.

Norm de Plume
09-04-2012, 08:54
And they claim the forum doesn't bite?

Yorkshire Remixer
09-04-2012, 16:47
at the end of the day...we might not pay a tv licence...but i definitely sit thru hours and hours of itv, channel 4/5 advertising and commercials!

there getting something out of me!

poker
09-04-2012, 17:12
its always been a touchy point that belgium and netherlands can watch it .is that on narrowband (old) cable can you still get it on broadband (digital) cable ??

FREETV http://mtv.am/ go for video by karine arustamyan

Yes even with more english channels. :-):-):-)
Sent using Tapatalk.

Vortex Wake
09-04-2012, 17:46
at the end of the day...we might not pay a tv licence...but i definitely sit thru hours and hours of itv, channel 4/5 advertising and commercials!

there getting something out of me!

You have a dfs sofa sale on in Tenerife ?

;)

Yorkshire Remixer
15-04-2012, 22:40
You have a dfs sofa sale on in Tenerife ?

;)

yes...and i want a sofa so bad!! its such a shame they dont have one here... haha!