PDA

View Full Version : Laws & Regulations What training is needed in English?

MartinGoodyer
07-04-2012, 18:10
My first attempt at asking a question was censored and removed because of fears it constituted advertising. Hence this time I will not provide any details of the business training school. However it might be helpful to know that after consultations with government representatives, a business coaching and training school will soon provide essential business related training in languages other than Spanish.
Short courses to 'qualify' business owners and their staff will be provided along with translations of essential materials. We hope that ignorance of opportunity, responsibility and/or required technical skill will no longer be a barrier to the effective development of international businesses based here in the Canaries.
My posting on this forum is one part of a consultation exercise to reach out to English speaking business owners, managers and staff to ascertain from 'the horses mouth' so to speak, the most pressing training requirements.
Please feel free to put forward any business related suggestions that might help solve real and pressing issues. I cannot guarantee that effective training will fix every problem, but can guarantee that a lack of such training inevitably makes a bad situation worse.

Muppet
07-04-2012, 18:13
If you could start by getting 33% of the population here who are currently unemployed a job, you'll be well on the road to success. Until then though - good luck!

bonitatime
07-04-2012, 18:52
I would be interested to know more

MartinGoodyer
07-04-2012, 20:22
If you could start by getting 33% of the population here who are currently unemployed a job, you'll be well on the road to success. Until then though - good luck!
Can't guarantee training will do that, but if for example you look at the results in the UK hospitality industry of 'Hospitality Assured' it has significantly enhanced business performance and aided employment. Something like that here would help: Improved business does result in enhanced employment opportunities.

Added after 2 minutes:

I would be interested to know more
I don't think I'm allowed to post details here but PM me and I will fill you in :)

TenerifePool
07-04-2012, 21:05
Some Issues that my own clients and associates have had difficulties with in the past, where language issues can be a problem are:

Prevencion de Riesgos Laborales
Manipulador de Alimentos
Primeros Auxilios
Proteccion de Datos

All of these are required for businesses to hold by law so the language is always a problem for non Spanish speakers.

Zara
07-04-2012, 21:11

Maybe not 33% of the unemployed would find work, but I am sure a lot more would if they actually knew how to read and reply to ads.

e.g. Advert for a placement ........ PM me for details
Response .... I do this, this and this. My number / contact details are.... can you send me details.

So perhaps training courses in basic reading and understanding might prove effective. Followed by grammar, spelling and proof-reading. Oops note to self, practice what you preach :wink2:

cainaries
07-04-2012, 22:57
I confess I've found the original post a bit difficult to follow. I go to a Spanish osteopath who speaks English (on La Palma so no help to everyone on Tenerife but this is not my point). In order to 'upgrade' his qualifications and move up the scale (as it were), he has to pass an English language exam in addition to other medical exams etc.. Is this the kind of thing OP is promoting? Or even just asking about?

Jelly Baby
07-04-2012, 23:21
Have you ever lived or worked here Martin? Just curious....

MartinGoodyer
08-04-2012, 09:24
Have you ever lived or worked here Martin? Just curious....
Hi Jelly Baby - yes, have been bringing courses here for 10 years +
Have close family who've been living here for over 20 years and now split my time between here and UK :) Am in process of buying a residence here so I can dedicate more time to this project

Added after 4 minutes:

Maybe not 33% of the unemployed would find work, but I am sure a lot more would if they actually knew how to read and reply to ads.

e.g. Advert for a placement ........ PM me for details
Response .... I do this, this and this. My number / contact details are.... can you send me details.

So perhaps training courses in basic reading and understanding might prove effective. Followed by grammar, spelling and proof-reading. Oops note to self, practice what you preach :wink2:
Great suggestion
I'm sure this is something we may be able to provide some free information on that will be easy to access for job applicants from different linguistic and cultural backgrounds - we will be using the Internet / smart phones etc extensively to connect and provide useful information as well as actually running courses that need to be paid for.

Added after 16 minutes:

I confess I've found the original post a bit difficult to follow. I go to a Spanish osteopath who speaks English (on La Palma so no help to everyone on Tenerife but this is not my point). In order to 'upgrade' his qualifications and move up the scale (as it were), he has to pass an English language exam in addition to other medical exams etc.. Is this the kind of thing OP is promoting? Or even just asking about?
My apologies if the original post was confusing. It may be easier to think about our approach as having a number of levels. If you are familiar with non vocational qualifications in the UK then you will already know that they run from Level 1 (basics enabling a person to undertake a task ) on up to Level 7 (the highest level for directors & senior managers enabling them to direct a set of processes or activities). We aim to provide a similar range of services: the lowest levels may be aimed at providing support for people unable to access the existing provision of essential training (because perhaps it is in a language they don't understand). The first of our higher level programmes starts in September and is more likely to be attended by international delegates coming to the island rather than already living here: this programme is a 'Business Coaching' Certificate and will be attended by experienced business executives wishing to start practicing as a professional business coach.
The training that takes place between levels 1 and 7 will depend entirely on need or demand. Our focus is business training and not language training so we are unlikely to be able to help your osteopath friend with his English, but if (say) he wanted to expand his business, generate more clients with more associates, develop a brand or whatever then (if there is enough demand from other like minded business owners) we are able to provide an appropriate and effective short training course that will teach him how to do it.
I hope that helps clarify. :)

sunseeker
08-04-2012, 11:45
ayuntamientos provide formation courses for businesses already here. even for free. language courses to. ive been on some.

cainaries
08-04-2012, 16:25
ayuntamientos provide formation courses for businesses already here. even for free. language courses to. ive been on some.

I think this was the point I was trying to make - but I didn't make it. The courses are all part of the Spanish qualifications system and people have to take those recognised courses in order to get the credits (or whatever they may be called) to reach the next level, etc. I don't know if the OP's courses are recognised in the Spanish qualifications system but I would have thought that was just about essential. I think the courses are part funded by the government or local authorities, etc. as well.