PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend alternative therapies for giving up smoking in Tenerife?

David Matthews
08-04-2012, 09:21
Can anybody recommend a hypnotist or even accupucture (not sure of the spelling!!) to enable me to try and give up smoking and how successful are they. Dont seem to be able to do it with just will power!!!

Thanks

jas
08-04-2012, 09:27
me neither - let me know if hypnosis works for you - i tried it once in the uk but i just wouldnt go under the “spell“

samnickgodber
08-04-2012, 18:53
I could kick my-self really hard as i gave up 18 mths ago, but due to many things happening in my life at the moment i have found my-self giving in and reached for the dreaded ciggys,,, but i will quit again just before my next jollyday to Florida x

ANDREA S
08-04-2012, 21:33
i have a couple of clients that have read allen carr easy way to give up smoking and have stopped. having said that i have read it and not quite got to the end as i was too scared to finish the book as not sure am quite ready. have to say though it makes really interesting reading and is so true of us smokers. am going to read his other book which is the permanent way to give up. my mum is bringing it over in a couple of weeks. so wish me luck and good luck to you both whichever method you choose.

sunseeker
08-04-2012, 22:03
i have a couple of clients that have read allen carr easy way to give up smoking and have stopped. having said that i have read it and not quite got to the end as i was too scared to finish the book as not sure am quite ready. have to say though it makes really interesting reading and is so true of us smokers. am going to read his other book which is the permanent way to give up. my mum is bringing it over in a couple of weeks. so wish me luck and good luck to you both whichever method you choose.

i read alan carr to. its how i finally stopped. for me it wasnt the stoping that was hard, tho each time it got harder, it was the not startin again. thats what alen carr helps with and it works.

Jelly Baby
08-04-2012, 22:44
EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) is fantastic and I know a practitioner here who has had great success with clients. If anyone wants the details just send me a pm!

slodgedad
08-04-2012, 22:50
Malcolm Dobson (http://www.tenerife-hypnotherapy.com/). He's been working with my wife for the past year since her stroke..Genius..

David Matthews
10-04-2012, 17:06
thanks have sent him an email, glad things working out for your wife.

ANDREA S
30-07-2012, 09:25
will be a month tomorrow that i stopped smoking with allen carr the permanent way to stop. penguin books. have to say its been pretty plain sailing. smoked for 30 odd years and never thought i could pack up.

carpenter
30-07-2012, 11:13
Can anybody recommend a hypnotist or even accupucture (not sure of the spelling!!) to enable me to try and give up smoking and how successful are they. Dont seem to be able to do it with just will power!!!

Thanks

I realise that there have been other informative posts so I'm not sure if this is worth writing.

Hypnotherapy and acupuncture do not work on their own, they only help to deal with the cravings. It's still down to will power.

I've heard of this book (the Allen Carr one) I think, is it the one that encourages you to smoke whilst reading it and by the time you finish it you no longer want to smoke?

This for me was the best state of mind to be in, not to want to give up, but not wanting to smoke anymore. There is a difference.

To pick holes in your OP you said "try and give up" with all due respect I don't think you have a snowball's chance with that attitude.

It's harder than giving up heroin and the very fact that your whole heart doesn't seem to be in it needs to be addressed. So for this matter hypnotherapy may be beneficial to you.

Everyone's story of success and failure is different and I believe that every single day something is thrown at you that can be used as an excuse to start smoking again. An argument, a death, an affair or even footy team loosing.

I focused on weekly goals and used the nicotine inhalator as a substitute for real cigs. It gave me something to do and hold whilst having a beer or driving.

Good luck and good health to you

wigjam
30-07-2012, 13:54
I will qualify as an acupuncture practitioner in two weeks. Acupuncture does work in helping smoking cessation but you have to be personally very comitted. It requires a treatment every day for a week and also needs the smoker to give up all other stimulants, including coffee or alcohol for the treatment period. Acupuncture used is auricular acupuncture, in the ear

dillydee
05-09-2012, 20:27
I recommend you get yourself a copy of the book 'Easyway To Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr. I quit the habit and have absolutely no intention or inclination to re start! It doesn't even bother me being around smokers either..reading the book just switched something in my head..I have had no interest or temptation since I stubbed out my last ciggie. I can proudly say "I am a non smoker!" Love it!!!:c2:

KirstyJay
06-09-2012, 00:56
I recommend you get yourself a copy of the book 'Easyway To Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr. I quit the habit and have absolutely no intention or inclination to re start! It doesn't even bother me being around smokers either..reading the book just switched something in my head..I have had no interest or temptation since I stubbed out my last ciggie. I can proudly say "I am a non smoker!" Love it!!!:c2:I agree... although it's a bit 'American' in the repetitive, preachy way he tells you stuff, once you get past that, what he actually says is brilliant. It helped me stop too... but it's not just the stopping, it's the staying stopped that it's truly brilliant for. :)

If you don't believe me, here's another forum's thread and people's opinions of it there. There's also a link to a PDF version.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f196/allen-carr-request-250140/

tfs_longlets
06-09-2012, 08:50
From a 60 a day smelly smoker, to a why did I do that every day for 40 years? man in 3 days. Allen Carr, saved me from a life of misery. I didn't realise till I stopped though.

The book is brilliant.

honda
07-09-2012, 15:21
Easy way to stop....... Move back to the uk. £7.00 per pack