PDA

View Full Version : Where are the best and worst toilets you've ever been in?

KirstyJay
10-04-2012, 11:23
Reading the bidet thread, I can't really comment on it, as I've never lived in a house with a bidet, apart from a couple of weeks here or there at my mum's, and I don't think I ever used it, however I have travelled around a bit these past couple of years and have encountered some lovely and horrid toilets.

The worst so far has got to be in Romania. In Budapest train station. You have to pay 1 lei to use it (about 20 cents) and it was basically a hole in the floor with fecal matter on the walls. :v2:

The best was at arrivals in Gatwick recently when we took the school kids for their week in the UK. It was so gorgeous, we had a big group photo in there. Unfortunately, it was at this point, so overwhelmed with how beautiful they were, that our only child with a Colombian passport, decided to leave it there.

Fortunately it was found and we picked it up when we got back for the return flight back to Tenerife, but it was a bit of a worry for a few days until it was located!!!

I think the state of toilets say a lot about a place. If I go into a restaurant and the toilets are horrid, I won't go back.

Have you got any other toilet experiences...?

Malteser Monkey
10-04-2012, 11:35
Well for me without thinking twice - has/had to be the old Kangaroo bar (long time ago).... I need say no more - if you had ever been in there you will know

cainaries
10-04-2012, 11:46
Two utterly vile ones .... one at a pit-stop on the Great Wall of China. Was so vile I couldn't use it. Next worst was on a Russian train. Since we were on the train for over 18 hours I had no choice but to use it. Have never smelt anything like it before or since.

Best was in a restaurant in Maastricht in The Netherlands. Was out to dinner with some clients and the 'host' kept encouraging me to go to the Ladies and I kept whispering I didn't need to go and eventually he said his wife had insisted I should have a look. There was everything in there a girl could possibly need, ever. Nail varnish in just about every colour in case you needed to touch up your nails, loads of make-up, sewing kits, shampoos (!), cuddly toys, masses more. If I'd had my phone with me I'd have taken some photos. Fresh flowers, candles .... oh, and a loo.

nath
10-04-2012, 11:59
oh, and a loo.

:wow::wow::wow:

KirstyJay
10-04-2012, 12:02
Well for me without thinking twice - has/had to be the old Kangaroo bar (long time ago).... I need say no more - if you had ever been in there you will knowWas it the best, or worst though?

Malteser Monkey
10-04-2012, 13:06
Was it the best, or worst though?

oh it's letting me in to read now - let's see if I can post - thanks for moving my post KJ

They were the worst !

one of the best/cleanest that spirings to mind The Grosvenor in Chester - mind you at Ģ4.00 a cup of coffee (yes a tiny taza) they'd have to be good

Balcony
10-04-2012, 13:43
I think the worst loo I've been in was at a McDonalds in New York. We ventured in one morning (just) for coffee and were gob-smacked to see extremely shabby and dirty homeless people using it. In a sense we kind of agreed it was helpful they they be allowed to use the toilets, but when we saw a man and a woman go in and not emerge for a while.....

The 'best' would be almost any toilet that was clean and didn't stink!

My most amusing toilet was at Caesars Palace Hotel where our multi-function bath was in the middle of the room. The toilet itself seemed to occupy acres of space and shone, but came complete with telephone and mini TV!

Concepcion213
10-04-2012, 14:35
on a plane! :D
on any plane, it doesn't matter what plane, all the bathrooms on planes are awful and really scary :D

Margaretta
10-04-2012, 15:12
A friend's mother had a tiny mining cottage in Nottinghamshire. We were visiting and after a big glass of that Nottingham Ale I was a bit desperate. I stood up from my enchanting seat in the giant, inglenook fireplace and cracked my head on the beam above. A little sympathy was offered "Oh, folks are always doing that!" and I was handed an overcoat, umbrella, Ibcol and torch. From the backdoor I was sent up the overgrown garden to 'the shed with the horseshoe on the door.' Inside was a dip in the earth and grubby straw. I couldn't.... and somehow hung on......

The best was the Savoy. An afternoon tea with a friend. The loo was all pink and gold with perfumes, powder puff and a chaise longue. I could have spent the evening in there pampering.
Must add a querky one in a school where I worked. Each loo door was painted as a beach hut in different colours. The walls had lots of naughty postcards everywhere, the loo rolls were on lifebelts and there were stones, lighthouses, shell dishes and soaps and lots of seaside ephemera on windowsills and around the sinks. Very clever and very cheering.

A plumbing shop in our village is currently selling Union Jack and diamond loo seats for the Jubilee for Ģ28 each.

delderek
10-04-2012, 15:25
The one in El Puertito, was just a hole in the ground a couple of years ago, and they served food, along with 5 million flies at the same. time.

Jackalina
10-04-2012, 15:33
Sunny beach Bulgaria where some bars didn't have toilets and you had to leave the premises to find one. They were usually in a hut at the back somewhere and there was a lady in black taking money in exchange for 1 sheet of toilet paper I do t think there was one decent toilet outside the hotels, pretty disgusting.

junglejim
10-04-2012, 15:36
For me , the worst recently was in Paris in a cafe across River Seine from Notre Dame Cathedral -lovely outside seating with amazing views across river - toilet was shower sized with a hole in floor and sh%t every where !
Best public toilets were in Marco Polo Airport at Venice- scrupulously clean and self flushing .
Long time ago worst were in Valleta in Malta and a toilet at Biarrizt service station where they obviously didnīt know how to use a WC and just sh%t on floor!!

Jackalina
10-04-2012, 15:38
Yeah Malta too, some of the worst and some really nice

LeFrunk
10-04-2012, 16:02
All those toilets are luxury compaired to the plastic boxes on the building sites let me tell you . Prutrid .

MaxineC
10-04-2012, 17:12
The one in your house Kirsty... :fpull: :fpull: :fpull:

marbro8
10-04-2012, 17:13
For me , the worst recently was in Paris in a cafe across River Seine from Notre Dame Cathedral -lovely outside seating with amazing views across river - toilet was shower sized with a hole in floor and sh%t every where !
Best public toilets were in Marco Polo Airport at Venice- scrupulously clean and self flushing .
Long time ago worst were in Valleta in Malta and a toilet at Biarrizt service station where they obviously didnīt know how to use a WC and just sh%t on floor!!you beat me to it junglejim, deffo the ones in valletta Malta by the bus station, you could smell them from outside and you had a good 20 steps down to them, and then it was like a scene from trainspotting down there lol, and the best ones where in a 5 star hotel in cairo, the attendant sprayed you with aftershave on leavingeek2:

Ed3229
10-04-2012, 17:46
Barcelona.....Railway station under the square at the top of les Rambles.....Full of men waiting for other men then disappearing into the cubicles.:bootyshake:
Quickest wee I have ever had.......:mad:

Best....Botley Park hotel and country club...Piped music,deep carpets,free aftershave and great mags..

chifleta
10-04-2012, 17:58
I can't even think of a "best" because i'm still retching at your descriptions ... but worse experience for me definately hole in ground in France .... thank gawd i've learnt Tai Chi since then, it's amazing how strong legs and good balancing posture helps us women do "the stance" so we don't have to sit down.... oh, is that going off topic?.... also, i'm pretty good at opening doors with my elbows (as long as they're handles and not knobs).... uffff OCD setting in again, better go clean my bathroom :scared:

marbro8
10-04-2012, 18:35
I can't even think of a "best" because i'm still retching at your descriptions ... but worse experience for me definately hole in ground in France .... thank gawd i've learnt Tai Chi since then, it's amazing how strong legs and good balancing posture helps us women do "the stance" so we don't have to sit down.... oh, is that going off topic?.... also, i'm pretty good at opening doors with my elbows (as long as they're handles and not knobs).... uffff OCD setting in again, better go clean my bathroom :scared: lmao i flush toilets with my elbows:lol: and when i use the old fashioned one's with the pull cord i reach right up to the top where no one else has touched it:lol:

warbey
10-04-2012, 20:20
Many Yeas ago, Birkenhead Docks had Both Types, Flush and hole in the Ground according to preference.

Worst were those in Cammel Lairds.

Blocks of six, with batwing Doors, no skiving there..

Inside there was something similar to a |Horse Trough
It stretched from One to Six with the Water etc going slowly from one end to the Other.
You perched on the edge to use it.
The trick was to know which end was upstream.!

The best is Our own. Peace tranquility and something to read.

katielauren
10-04-2012, 20:21
For the best 'loo with a view' stop at Mirador del Palmarejo on the road down to Valle Gran Rey on La Gomera. The views from the whole restaurant are quite breathtaking but the ladies loo has a little round window with the most stunning view. I almost forgot what I had gone in there for! Luckily I had my mobile in my bag so was able to take a photo:)

cainaries
10-04-2012, 20:32
Warbey, you're right in a way. OH always prefer his own bathroom, books supplied, ashtray supplied ...

marbro8
10-04-2012, 20:39
For the best 'loo with a view' stop at Mirador del Palmarejo on the road down to Valle Gran Rey on La Gomera. The views from the whole restaurant are quite breathtaking but the ladies loo has a little round window with the most stunning view. I almost forgot what I had gone in there for! Luckily I had my mobile in my bag so was able to take a photo:) i hope it was the view you took the photo ofeek2:;)

karinagal
10-04-2012, 20:40
Kangaroo Island off the coast of Adelaide in the land down under.. We were on an excursion with a select few others.. Our guide took us to a BBQ area in a farmers field where he cooked the best meal I've had that was cooked on an outside grill, washed down with lashings of beer.... However...... The nearest 'convenience' was a bush dunny in the adjoining bush-land.. It had a toilet 'seat' which was crawling with thousands of ants but the option was to squat outside and risk worse in the bush!! I hovered as best I could but I reckon it was at least a day before I got all the ants out of my knickers.....

Then on another excursion in the Daintree rainforest, we went to a picnic spot that had quite lovely toilets with a twist - there was a golden orb weaver spider in residence in a huge web above the only empty stall.. They're MASSIVE... It was a case of reverse in, do the necessary and get out while keeping a close eye on her and her babies... Fastest toilet stop EVER!

:D

The undisputed Queen of de-nial

Sal
10-04-2012, 20:52
I can't even think of a "best" because i'm still retching at your descriptions ... but worse experience for me definately hole in ground in France .... thank gawd i've learnt Tai Chi since then, it's amazing how strong legs and good balancing posture helps us women do "the stance" so we don't have to sit down.... oh, is that going off topic?.... also, i'm pretty good at opening doors with my elbows (as long as they're handles and not knobs).... uffff OCD setting in again, better go clean my bathroom :scared:

I'm with you on this chifleta - with the hole in the ground and markings for placement of your feet while you "hover"! Dread to think what might happen if you lose balance and fall backwards............................and boy, do they stink!?!?!?! France have probably been the worst ones I have experienced...........................so far!

marbro8
10-04-2012, 21:08
my mates went to france a few years ago and they used a wc in a posh hotel, it was called a EUROLOO i think and it was all stainless steel, and when you have finished and shut the door it steam cleans everything, the problem occurred when one of them fell over in there in a drunken stupor and got steam cleaned, and his mates couldn't get the door open and could only listen to his drunken cries from outside lol:doh:

Margaretta
10-04-2012, 21:15
It's a very important place isn't it?
So glad I'm not a Roman with those communal loos although Cammell Laird sounds......

We had just moved the furniture into our apartment and decided to go for a long walk. I suddenly had to go and we dived into a Tenerife bar. Hubby bought a drink and I tried the door of the ladies. It was locked. We left and went to the next bar. Hubby ordered another drink. I tried the loo door. Locked. At the third bar the barman twigged my desperation and told me I should have asked for a key. I had been too shy. By this time hubby was eager for a key too!

cainaries
10-04-2012, 21:46
It's a very important place isn't it?
So glad I'm not a Roman with those communal loos although Cammell Laird sounds......

We had just moved the furniture into our apartment and decided to go for a long walk. I suddenly had to go and we dived into a Tenerife bar. Hubby bought a drink and I tried the door of the ladies. It was locked. We left and went to the next bar. Hubby ordered another drink. I tried the loo door. Locked. At the third bar the barman twigged my desperation and told me I should have asked for a key. I had been too shy. By this time hubby was eager for a key too!

Oh, the keys, the keys! Quite often only the Ladies is locked. (Anyone understand this logic, please advise). I was discussing this with a friend of mine and she said when she found the Ladies was locked she just went into the Gents as a protest. But she's much braver than I am.

chifleta
10-04-2012, 21:50
oh, I do remember when me and OH went to watch our sons band play at Las Brujas Pub (ouch my ears) and OH needed a Nš2, but he said when he went to sit down, the toilet door was a bit like a saloon bar door about 70cms off the floor, so basically all the teeny boppers would have seen him under the door :scared::bootyshake::wow::lol:

Added after 21 minutes:

Oh, the keys, the keys! Quite often only the Ladies is locked. (Anyone understand this logic, please advise). I was discussing this with a friend of mine and she said when she found the Ladies was locked she just went into the Gents as a protest. But she's much braver than I am.

yeah, I think it's so the men don't use the ladies loo LOL ..... what made me really angry was up at Masca, me and my friend needed the loo, and it was locked, so out of courtesy I asked for a bottle of water and the key.... the female staff/owner/scary looking woman stood guard outside the loo while I had a wee... then when my friend went to go in, she wouldn't let her, she had to buy another bottle of water too.... so in the end I said to the scary looking woman "why don't you just have a money slot and charge people 50 cents to go, people don't mind bloody paying it, instead of having you stand guard like we're going to walk off with the toilet seat..... y quieres ganar clientes comportando asi? venga ya!" grumble grumble LOL

timmylish
11-04-2012, 02:51
Two utterly vile ones .... one at a pit-stop on the Great Wall of China. Was so vile I couldn't use it. Next worst was on a Russian train. Since we were on the train for over 18 hours I had no choice but to use it. Have never smelt anything like it before or since.

Well, count yourself bleedin' lucky that you were presumably on the train during Summer months 'cause I can assure you the slightly more difficult journey I encountered from Ykaterinburg to St. Petersburg lasting some 38 hours during January with outside temperatures getting down to nearly minus 40 oC. Although supposed to be heated there was a problem in the heating pipes which resulted in the communal areas going without any form of heating so that the cabins would be warm. For a man to use the toilet in there circumastances took a great deal of courage to prevent his dangly bits touching the aluminium toilet base! Me, I just got the attendant to tell me the exact times of arrival at the next stop and jumped off to hopefully use the stations!

cainaries
11-04-2012, 08:05
oh, I do remember when me and OH went to watch our sons band play at Las Brujas Pub (ouch my ears) and OH needed a Nš2, but he said when he went to sit down, the toilet door was a bit like a saloon bar door about 70cms off the floor, so basically all the teeny boppers would have seen him under the door :scared::bootyshake::wow::lol:

Added after 21 minutes:

yeah, I think it's so the men don't use the ladies loo LOL ..... what made me really angry was up at Masca, me and my friend needed the loo, and it was locked, so out of courtesy I asked for a bottle of water and the key.... the female staff/owner/scary looking woman stood guard outside the loo while I had a wee... then when my friend went to go in, she wouldn't let her, she had to buy another bottle of water too.... so in the end I said to the scary looking woman "why don't you just have a money slot and charge people 50 cents to go, people don't mind bloody paying it, instead of having you stand guard like we're going to walk off with the toilet seat..... y quieres ganar clientes comportando asi? venga ya!" grumble grumble LOL

OH is always being sent to buy a coffee he doesn't want so I can get my mitts on the key for the Ladies. I don't mind so much when it's clean and bright but some of them are still badly lit (with the light on a timer set for about 30 seconds) and you need wellington boots and to roll up your jeans to go in there ... yuk

OH is highly amused by this thread as I judge all restaurants by their toilets and if I don't like the Ladies I won't go back there even if the food was good. It's a hygiene thing.

Vortex Wake
11-04-2012, 08:24
My mother always used to recount her experience of the air raid shelter at her school during the war . Kids would sit either side , with the toilet at the end with a door with large gaps top and bottom . Other kids would give a second by second commentary on proceedings in the cubicle until a 'deposit' was made as nothing was private :(

KirstyJay
11-04-2012, 12:59
The one in your house Kirsty... :fpull: :fpull: :fpull:Shows how long it's been since you've been up here... my mum found a solution for the limescale on the internet, which was pool cleaner, and after being blitzed with it, it's now pristine and has been for months :p In fact, I still look in awe at the bowl every time I go... unless the bloke's been beforehand, of course. :v2:

MaxineC
11-04-2012, 17:46
Shows how long it's been since you've been up here... my mum found a solution for the limescale on the internet, which was pool cleaner, and after being blitzed with it, it's now pristine and has been for months :p In fact, I still look in awe at the bowl every time I go... unless the bloke's been beforehand, of course. :v2:

So that's where my pool cleaner vanished to... :D

warbey
11-04-2012, 19:16
We once encountered an unusual Toilet in Calella (Costa Brava)

I really needed a Pee but when I went in, it was full of the Female sex at the mirror on the opposite wall
to the Urinals.

I shot out and checked the Door markings so went in again to use the facilities..

Turned out there was only poor Lighting in the Womens, so they used the Mens all the time for checking Makeup..
Couple of Days and it seemed normal behaviour. My O.H. timed Me though...........doh.......

Malteser Monkey
11-04-2012, 22:02
We once encountered an unusual Toilet in Calella (Costa Brava)

I really needed a Pee but when I went in, it was full of the Female sex at the mirror on the opposite wall
to the Urinals.

I shot out and checked the Door markings so went in again to use the facilities..

Turned out there was only poor Lighting in the Womens, so they used the Mens all the time for checking Makeup..
Couple of Days and it seemed normal behaviour. My O.H. timed Me though...........doh.......

Ohhh Lord Warbs you have reminded me of PRISMAS ? in the Veronicas just below Hotel Ten Sol 1991 and my first encounter with the "maraquitas" I couldn't believe what I was seeing (just having left the night clubs of the East End of London) you would have been well let's not go there

Men adjusting all there false female bits in the loo - I was amazed at how great they looked - they were incredible