PDA

View Full Version : Other Where should we holiday in Tenerife? Los Gigantes or Las Galletas?

dolmard
10-04-2012, 19:04
(apologies for my english)

I'm planning to go to Tenerife this summer with my little family for a 3 weeks holidays. We already visited the island as a couple last year. We were in Las Americas for a week and if it was funny for a short time (at the end we were quite annoyed with some drunkard in fact) it's definitely too crowdy and noisy for our family. We have two apartments offers : one is in Los Gigantes, we've enjoyed Los Gigantes during our Masca trek, and the other one is in Las Galletas in former "Ten-Bel" resort (we never went there). Apartments seems to be well equipped and the price is more or less the same (a bit cheaper in Las Galletas but not a lot).

So, finally, my question is : which place is better for a family holiday with child ? Is Las Galletas a nice place ?

Hope you can help.

fixer
10-04-2012, 19:46
Los Cristianos !:cheeky:

dolmard
10-04-2012, 19:57
Los Cristianos !:cheeky:

No way ! :redcard:

Our plan is family holidays not fighting at disco's. I'm kidding of course.

mike in chayofa
10-04-2012, 19:59
...... Is Las Galletas a nice place ?

Yes. It is ... but Ten Bel is actually in Costa del Silencio which is a purpose built resort (many yeaqrs ago), but it is within walking distance of Las Galletas, which is a smallish Spanish town that happens to be besides the sea.

There are plenty of nice places to eat and drink. A small harbour where you can watch the divers and a beach that isn't that nice really, but is OK to sit on and swim from. It depends on how old your child is. Ten Bel wouldn't be my choice for a holiday, but that's only a personal opinion.

There is probably more to do in Los Gigantes with more touristy type places and some good beaches, although it is black sand. The harbour is nice, but you can't swim there - although there is a beach a few minutes walk away.

fixer
10-04-2012, 20:06

Now being serious Los Cristianos is ideal for a family holiday no loud discos! great beaches ive got a lot of familys who come and stay in ours in Cristian Sur Dont go to Ten Bel Los Gigantes would be better than there also in my opinion same as Mikes

delderek
10-04-2012, 20:26
Yes. It is ... but Ten Bel is actually in Costa del Silencio which is a purpose built resort (many yeaqrs ago), but it is within walking distance of Las Galletas, which is a smallish Spanish town that happens to be besides the sea.

There are plenty of nice places to eat and drink. A small harbour where you can watch the divers and a beach that isn't that nice really, but is OK to sit on and swim from. It depends on how old your child is. Ten Bel wouldn't be my choice for a holiday, but that's only a personal opinion.

There is probably more to do in Los Gigantes with more touristy type places and some good beaches, although it is black sand. The harbour is nice, but you can't swim there - although there is a beach a few minutes walk away.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't there only one very tiny beach in los Gigantes, which keeps getting closed due to rock falls.

Las Galletas, is in my opnion now a fairly large town, with I would say 10 times more shops bars and restaurants, than Los Gigantes, and the new harbour is lovely. Los Gigantes is now looking very very tired, and by the time you walk up from the bottom so am I.

fixer
10-04-2012, 20:37
Think it was the fact he wanted to stay in Ten-bel i agree on your comments of Los Gigantes but coudnt interest him in Los Cristianos.David

mike in chayofa
10-04-2012, 21:14
.....Los Gigantes is now looking very very tired, and by the time you walk up from the bottom so am I.

Yes, but just like Costa del Silencio being called 'Las Galletas', people tend to call the whole stretch from El Varedero through to Los Gigantes as 'Los Gigantes' when in reality this area also includes Playa del La Arena and Puerto Santiago

atlantico
10-04-2012, 21:43
Los Gigantes is more tourist/holiday resort, and Las Galletas is more Canarian/Spanish etc, so more of a 'cultural/back-to-basics' holiday. I live near Las Galletas, (Silencio) and for a once a year family holiday I'd chose Los Gigantes - although I'd prefer to live in Las galletas

Red Devil
10-04-2012, 22:14

I am curious why you have such a strong opinion against Los Cristianos?

It is the first place I would recommend for a family friendly holiday with a child - a lot quieter than Las Americas and cant think of any discos there, lovely beaches for children, safe pedestrianised walkways and easy proximity to most attractions, eg boat trips - Aqualand water park, Siam Park and Jungle Park all have free transport, Monkey Park etc.

There are plenty of quiet areas for accommodation there also.

Just wondered .....

Tom & Sharon
10-04-2012, 22:50
Las Galletas is definitely a nicer place imho than Los Gigantes.

However, Ten-Bel is definitely not Las Galletas, and is in fact a bit of a ****hole. Why on earth would you want to spend your holidays there?

Are you being offered these choices for free?

Margaretta
10-04-2012, 23:58
It could be that these are the only two options. We need more information in order to help e.g. will you hire a car? Do coach trips? How old are the children? Are you physically fit? Do you need swimming pools or do you prefer to swim in the sea?

The walks uphill from the harbour and little beach, albeit spectacular, in Los Gigantes are killers if you are not physically fit, in fact the whole town is like that although it has lots of sun most days of the year. The road to Puerto Santiago next door is fine if you are going downhill and a little bit up, but walking back.........
Ten-Bel has lots of apartments and is back from Las Galletas but within walking distance. very Canarian, delightful little shops and some really good-value restaurants. We often see children enjoying the rockpools and the rocky beach and the harbour is a delight with lots of fish. Las Galletas is great for divers and for snorkelling.

Tom & Sharon
11-04-2012, 00:04
It could be that these are the only two options. We need more information in order to help e.g. will you hire a car? Do coach trips? How old are the children? Are you physically fit? Do you need swimming pools or do you prefer to swim in the sea?

The walks uphill from the harbour and little beach, albeit spectacular, in Los Gigantes are killers if you are not physically fit, in fact the whole town is like that although it has lots of sun most days of the year. The road to Puerto Santiago next door is fine if you are going downhill and a little bit up, but walking back.........
Ten-Bel has lots of apartments and is back from Las Galletas but within walking distance. very Canarian, delightful little shops and some really good-value restaurants. We often see children enjoying the rockpools and the rocky beach and the harbour is a delight with lots of fish. Las Galletas is great for divers and for snorkelling.

Margaretta, you need to make it clear that this is a description of Las Galletas and not Ten-Bel.

Ten-Bel is about as Canarian as Butlins combined with Strangeways prison!

delderek
11-04-2012, 10:51

Yes I agree, and unlike Mike I personally would never think of linking these other resorts as being part of Los Gigantes.

mike in chayofa
11-04-2012, 11:01
.... unlike Mike I personally would never think of linking these other resorts as being part of Los Gigantes.

I don't, but it is my experience that a lot of people do

Margaretta
11-04-2012, 11:02
Haha! :lol: That really made me laugh T and S!
Yes, I should have made it clearer but they are within walking distance i.e. you can escape!:wink:

There's so much negativity going on on this Forum at the moment. I am trying so hard to look at the positives....a little crazy :crazy: maybe but....
Here I go again:
Through Tenbel you can walk the other way to Costa del Silencio. The rocks and blue bay are fabulous, Amarilla Bay? and the road up towards Las Chafiras has some magnificent hills, views, euphorbia and cacti growing either side like Cowboy movie sets. Camera and walking shoes at the ready.
I can't help it; just love Tenerife and there's something great around every bend and corner. :wave:

dolmard
11-04-2012, 11:11
Thanks for all your enlighting responses.

We are physically fit (we like trekking) and we'll rent a car with Orcar. The apartment in Los Gigantes is a few meters from the harbour so it's definitely not in Puerto Santiago. The apartment in Costa del Silencio is next to the Ten-Bel tower as far as i know. Both apartments have collective swimming-pool. The Los Gigantes apartment have one room more than the one in Las Galletas (well if i readed well "next to Las Galletas").

blondie
11-04-2012, 15:10
Would not take a holiday in any of the two places mentioned, did you visit Los Cristianos when you stayed in Las Americas, obviously not, if you had this would have been your choice there is no doubt.

fixer
11-04-2012, 15:38
Would not take a holiday in any of the two places mentioned, did you visit Los Cristianos when you stayed in Las Americas, obviously not, if you had this would have been your choice there is no doubt.
Thats what i was trying to say too. David

atlantico
11-04-2012, 18:45
The apartment in Costa del Silencio is next to the Ten-Bel tower as far as i know. Both apartments have collective swimming-pool.

find out the exact name of the complex, as anything on Ten-Bel itself is very old. Ten-Bel was the very first holiday complex in South Tenerife so all apartments are over 50 years old - and they show it !

Here's a tip, go to google maps, find the 2 areas, go zoom down into 'street-view' and take a virtual walk around the areas. Bear in mind that google maps are about 4 years old ! If you decide upon Las Galletas, you'd be better off looking for apartments or hotels in the Costa del Silencio area for better quality (newer) accommodation, and most are within a 10-15 minute walk of Galletas. Take a look at the apartments (mine anyway) at Atlantico, to get an idea of what I mean, www.atlantico-silencio.co.uk (Ignore the handsome chap in trunks by the pool on the front photo - thats me !)

wow ! 952 extra hits on my site since I mentioned my photo !

delderek
11-04-2012, 18:56

We are physically fit (we like trekking) and we'll rent a car with Orcar. The apartment in Los Gigantes is a few meters from the harbour so it's definitely not in Puerto Santiago. The apartment in Costa del Silencio is next to the Ten-Bel tower as far as i know. Both apartments have collective swimming-pool. The Los Gigantes apartment have one room more than the one in Las Galletas (well if i readed well "next to Las Galletas").

Perhaps you fancy a drink or a meal in Los Gigantes, the only place with a nice view is down along the Marina, but the view is completely ruined with parked cars, constantly coming and going, mostly looking for non existent parking slots,the outside space of all these places is on the pavement, about 1ft away from you,so you are getting exhaust fumes over your table every few minutes. This in no way can be compared with Los Cris, with its lovely pedestrian walkway, and no traffic fumes.

Should also add that Las Galletas has a nice pedestrian area overlooking the sea with nice bars etc, and the new marina also has some nice restaurants and bars some of them built over the water itself, it is now a very attractive area.

carolethatch
11-04-2012, 19:33
As some have already said, Gigantes is quite small, and is the furthest from the airport. A week there is fine, but 3 weeks, I think you would run out of things to do with the children. Ten Bel is so old, I would prefer to be nearer a nice beach, a bus station to take the kids on day trips, and no loud pubs and clubs, so Los Cristianos would be perfect for you.

amanda
11-04-2012, 21:51
i disagree with you saying ten bel is a hell hole have you ever been in the hotel alborado looks a bit like a prison from the outside but once in its great yes it is old but they are doing their best to tidy it up, the pool is as big as a football pitch nice size childrens pools with nice beach alongside yellow sand, and as timmyish is coment about the beach along the front where the bars are the beach is great especially for young children when the tide goes out with all those rock pools, and also las galletas is ideal for buses to other resorts , i spend a lot of time in there in the summer i could also name a lot of places hell hols here in the south but not going to knock the island that i live in only try and give it some good views

clara
12-04-2012, 09:19
Los Gigantes is very self contained with a beach (very safe now the work is completed on the cliffs) and there is a public pool including a natural pool in a lovely position overlooking the sea. The Oasis also has a pool, restaurant (with good food) and bar that can be very a very interesting place to have a drink if the waves are crashing up. If you like boat trips, and jet bikes etc there are many to go on from fishing trips to Glass bottom boats and a trip on a jet boat to see whales. The coast walk round to Puerto Santiago and then on to Playa Arena has great veiws of the coast and La Gomera.

(and I don't work for the tourist office, I just love it in Los Gigantes!:):))

chifleta
12-04-2012, 17:22

if it's alborada (with the natural sea-water swimming pool), although it looks a bit like a multi-storey carpark from the outside, i've heard a lot of the apartments are nice... and, the main thing (because for me a room is a room is a room for sleeping) you are right by Las Galletas which is a lovely fishing village, the beach at the harbour is NOT (edited typo) that bad, I like swimming there with my snorkel and mask on to check out the fish, it has sandy parts so the kids can play, and I always think the rocky part is ideal if you have younger kids as they don't tend to run off too far (as painful on feet LOL)..... also you have local shops and bars and well priced and good variety of restaurants either along the beach front or in the centre where all the shops are.... plus like someone else said, you have plenty of nice walks, one heading to Amarilla Golf and one going past El Fraile (along the coast) which is you love longggg walks, can actually take you to Palm Mar, over the small mount to Los Cristianos, and from Cristianos you can walk right the way to La Caleta..... and also with Galletas you're nearer to airport and there is a very regular bus route.... personally I don't like Costa del Silencio (and I live in El Fraile which a lot of people think is rough), but if it's nearer to the tenbel tower, then I'd pick that over Los Gigantes where you're stuck well out the way... and my only negative is watch your bags/wallets, be vigilant .... but then i'd say that whereever you go in the world nowadays, but with the recession pickpocketing/theft seems to have increased.... or is it just that we hear more thanks to forums and facebook?

Added after 10 minutes:

i disagree with you saying ten bel is a hell hole have you ever been in the hotel alborado looks a bit like a prison from the outside but once in its great yes it is old but they are doing their best to tidy it up, the pool is as big as a football pitch nice size childrens pools with nice beach alongside yellow sand, and as timmyish is coment about the beach along the front where the bars are the beach is great especially for young children when the tide goes out with all those rock pools, and also las galletas is ideal for buses to other resorts , i spend a lot of time in there in the summer i could also name a lot of places hell hols here in the south but not going to knock the island that i live in only try and give it some good views

had to laugh at you saying Alborada looks a bit like a prison, I always thought it looked like a multistorey carpark :laugh: .... and like I said in my comment, the accommodation is somewhere to sleep, if you're here on hols you're going to be out and about, not sat inside the apartment all day, so i've gotta agree with what you wrote :)

helhod
12-04-2012, 18:47
I have just come back to uk from 12 days in Tenerife and as usual visited both .Both are beautiful for a daily visit ,los Gigantes to me has panaromic views which i take in every time :)

blondie
13-04-2012, 12:12
Yes , my sentiments exactly, a daily visit, not for 3 weeks hoilday.

dolmard
29-04-2012, 05:30
And the winner is...................................

Los Gigantes. This little movie about Ten-Bel is the main reason : http://www.loquepasaentenerife.com/vivir/09-07-2009/elparquefantasmadetenbel

atlantico
29-04-2012, 17:46
but Ten-Bel isn't Las Galletas, its a complex near it - just don't stay there, and you'll be OK. Trouble is, the only decent holiday accomodation nearby is in Silencio, see my website for info. www.atlantico-silencio.co.uk, look at photos and places to visit etc

PS that video is from 2009, its been cleaned up since (not renovated though)

dokgolf
29-04-2012, 18:15
(apologies for my english)

I'm planning to go to Tenerife this summer with my little family for a 3 weeks holidays. We already visited the island as a couple last year. We were in Las Americas for a week and if it was funny for a short time (at the end we were quite annoyed with some drunkard in fact) it's definitely too crowdy and noisy for our family. We have two apartments offers : one is in Los Gigantes, we've enjoyed Los Gigantes during our Masca trek, and the other one is in Las Galletas in former "Ten-Bel" resort (we never went there). Apartments seems to be well equipped and the price is more or less the same (a bit cheaper in Las Galletas but not a lot).

So, finally, my question is : which place is better for a family holiday with child ? Is Las Galletas a nice place ?

Hope you can help.

Just to say that I also have a young family and always stay in Puerto Santiago/Los Gigantes. There are some lovely restaurants and nightlife can be as quiet or lively as you like ( no nightclubs though). We tend to go to the Barcelo Santiago in the evenings as there are always shows on ( no cover charge). Drinks are a little more expensive than the surrounding area but still much cheaper than at home. I think they may even have a kiddies disco @ 8.30. The resort is a bit hilly but pushing a pram or carrying a child on your shoulders up these slopes just serves to keep the weight down while working up an appetite

angus
30-04-2012, 13:51
but Ten-Bel is Las Galletas, its a complex near it - just don't stay there, and you'll be OK. Trouble is, the only decent holiday accomodation nearby is in Los Cristianos, see my website for info. www.atlantico-silencio.co.uk, look at photos and places to visit etc, not nice at all.

PS that video is from 2009, its been cleaned up since and is now occupied by squatters

I'll have to agree with you there Atlantlico
I think Silencio needs more than a clean-up. Maybe take some of the relics still hanging around the area. It could do with some freshness.
Long way to go I reckon. :)

curlytop
30-04-2012, 20:38
Just to say that I also have a young family and always stay in Puerto Santiago/Los Gigantes. There are some lovely restaurants and nightlife can be as quiet or lively as you like ( no nightclubs though). We tend to go to the Barcelo Santiago in the evenings as there are always shows on ( no cover charge). Drinks are a little more expensive than the surrounding area but still much cheaper than at home. I think they may even have a kiddies disco @ 8.30. The resort is a bit hilly but pushing a pram or carrying a child on your shoulders up these slopes just serves to keep the weight down while working up an appetite

I stayed there this weekend and was really impressed. I have friends who always stay there with their little boy and it's certainly an excellent hotel which is geared not only for families but for all ages. (I think I read that Thomas Cook have given it some kind of award). Had a great room with fantastic views of the sea and cliffs, complimentary drink on arrival as well as complimentary water and chocolates in the room. Good rates especially when booking in advance and you can find discount codes online. The spa is very relaxing and as hotel residents you get a discount as well. I'm going back very soon.

webewitch
05-05-2012, 23:57
Los Gigantes for me every time.

timmylish
06-05-2012, 01:32
Yes! Its little old me back on with contentious views and opinions. I would like the O/p to answer a question already put, as above! What are the names of the proposed resorts? Could I be a million miles (or kilometers) away by suggesting that the accommodation may in fact me T/share resorts with this being a special offer to French families. Silencio could be Club Marina and Los Gigantes could be Vigilia Park or respective sister resorts? Would be interesting to know if I,m correct?

dolmard
06-05-2012, 06:32
It's not a resort. It's a privately owned apartement (i already know the topic about "illegal letting" :wink:). It's not a special offer for french families. We've just search the internet (Homelidays, owners direct etc...) and selected apartments in our budget (which one is rather small). I'm tired so sorry for my english which is even worse than usual.:snore:

sunseeker
06-05-2012, 15:11
galletas is nice but ten bel is not galletas and its horible. if u like walking and treking theres more options from los gigs and better bus routes. have a look at san juan to. its got a nice family beach and is spanish. its also got nice walks.