PDA

View Full Version : Earthquakes

Malteser Monkey
11-04-2012, 13:21
Following the news today of the 2 earthquakes in Indonesia - the article takes you to a website see here

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

I was amazed to find out that in the last 30 days there have been 6988 earthquakes:wow:

the majority are on a minor scale but it got me thinking

hope you find it interesting -

Santiago
11-04-2012, 13:26
This site also gives details and is also the one which has concentrated on the El Hierro volcano. It's well worth having a look from time to time!

http://earthquake-report.com/2012/04/11/massive-extremely-dangerous-earthquake-500-km-from-the-sumatra-coast-indonesia/

Malteser Monkey
11-04-2012, 21:47
hard to believe they're still going in that area - any report of tsunamis

off to look at sky news

slodgedad
11-04-2012, 21:55
There have always been multiple earthquakes throughout history.

Technology now lets everyone know, especially after recent events.

They aren't any more frequent or violent but better reported and prepared for.

vpapz
16-05-2012, 03:28
but how can we be prepared on where to go safe, if we don't know when earthquake comes? hope technology will provide one...

Suej
16-05-2012, 10:27
but how can we be prepared on where to go safe, if we don't know when earthquake comes? hope technology will provide one...

It would be very difficult to predict when natures decides to strike it's force is so powerful don't think we'd have a hope in hell if we happened to be in the wrong place and the wrong time.:dontknow:

nigelmercier
31-05-2012, 15:05
wrong place and the wrong time...

Or the right place. I've been to San Francisco three times in the last three years, each time hoping to experience a quake. Nada!

There was a programme on BBC4 a while back: 10 things you didn't know about earthquakes, if they repeat it, it is well worth watching.

Malteser Monkey
31-05-2012, 15:15
Or the right place. I've been to San Francisco three times in the last three years, each time hoping to experience a quake. Nada!

There was a programme on BBC4 a while back: 10 things you didn't know about earthquakes, if they repeat it, it is well worth watching.

thanks will do !

we had a small one here in N Wales a couple of years back - was a weird feeling