PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Woody & Viv55

DJ Dangerous
12-06-2011, 14:14
Here is another lovely story about people coming together to help animals in need.

Hi all,
I'm hoping there's some kind soles out there that will help "Woody". He's a wonderful old greyhound that's had such a hard life. He's very loving, gentle fellow but extremely nervous and he looks to me now for security and the love he so much needs.

I first met him in February last year, when I was told of a woman looking for a carer for him. Originally he was a rescue Greyhound from English track racing and had been bought over to Tenerife by the woman's husband who not long after died. The woman having met another man had returned to the UK and left him with the people who were renting one of her properties. She was selling the property and the renters had to move out which was why she wanted a home for Woody. Which was where I came in. She agreed to pay me for his keep and all his medications etc.

When I went to pick him up he was in a dreadful state, very neglected. He was excessively thin, his coat was dull and listless with bare patches and he needed defleaing and worming. I took him to the vet who on checking him over discovered he had a heart problem and arthritus in his back legs. He prescribed a heart tablet and anti-inflamotory to be taken every day for the rest of his life.

But worse was his teeth, they were in a dreadful state. Because he had been so neglected his bad teeth had infected his gums causing gum desease but because this hadn't been treated the infection had got into the bone. We started off with courses of strong anti-biotics but it was no use and the only cure was to remove the teeth. He has since had 3 operations and now only has 5 teeth left but at last he has no pain in his mouth.

He has responded so well to love and good care, he's happy, his coat shines and it's been wonderful to watch him progress not just physically but emotionally as well. He's put on weight although he's still thin, he eats as much as my retriever whose fat, but as he's a greyhound I guess he'll never put on much weight.

I was hoping that after such an unsettled, miserable life he would be able to live out his last few years in peace. But now the woman has refused to pay for him anymore saying she has no money although I know she owns at least 2 properties in Tenerife and is a director of at least one business.

I, myself am happy to pay for his keep, I love him very much and he has over this last year become a settled member of the family. But I can't afford to pay for his medications (the heart and anti-inflamatory tablets) these cost 3 euros a day!! I'm living on 30 euros a week at the moment for all my food, clothing etc. and haven't even managed to pay all my bills this month but that's another story, I'm not asking for help for me but for this beautiful dog.

For the last month he has had to go without these tablets but he is now in pain with his legs and has started dragging one leg behind him, refusing to put any weight on it. It is so sad that I'd just got all his mouth sorted and now this! If I can't get his tablets I will have to have him put to sleep. He deserves a little time to live happily and pain free. It is so sad that so much of his life has been spent in neglect and suffering and now that he has the chance of some peace it's been taken away from him again.

Please if there's anyone out there who could help towards the 90 euros a month for his tablets message me because it's breaking my heart to see him like this. I will supply veterinary receipts so they know any money donated has gone for Woody's tablets and not on anything else. And of course they would be able to come and see him when they wished. I've attached a photo of him. 12685

Hi Viv, i will gladly contribute 20€ a month if that helps, well done for what you are doing for him.

Let me know via PM how we can set this up :)

Thanks Andy every little bit helps. I'll PM you.

Well thats 22.22% sorted, with just under 23,000 other forum members, how hard can the other 70€ be to find?

Surely another 70€ a month cant be so hard to find with so many dog lovers on here..... ;)

Can you let me know what the medication is please. I will see if I can pull some strings and get it cheaper. At the very least I will go and buy some for you each month. Ill wait to hear fom you :)

SuzyQ The anti inflamatories are Previcox (1 a day) and the heart tablets are Fortekor 20 mg (1/2 a day).

Thanks Viv, Ill be in touch. x

SuzyQ My vet gives them to me at cost but I know you're involved with Live Arico so you can probably get them at the same price or cheaper. If not if you go into the vet at Guaza and tell them they're for me (Vivien Askaroff) and for Woody then he'll give them to you at cost too. I'm not sure what the strength of Previcox is but they're for a dog of 30 kilos

---------- Post added at 01:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 ----------

Thanks SuzyQ

Ive just sent an email off with the names of the drugs. Im wondering if we can bulk buy in it wil make them cheaper still. Worth a try anyway. As I say, at the very least Ill buy you some x

That would be a great idea SuzyQ. There's bound to be lot's of other dog owners that need these as well, as heart condition and arthritus are 2 very common complaints in old dogs, so together maybe we could place an extremley large order which like you say should bring the price down a bit.

Thanks for offering to buy some, that's really kind, let me know when you have them and I can pick them up from you. I drive the road from El Medano to Los Abrigos and back twice a day on weekdays is that where you are?

I can see I'll have to have a Woody meet up once a month where you can all meet him and get to know him!! You'll fall in love with him, he's ugly but such a love.

Added after 2 minutes:

And Page 2!

Is there anybody else who can help this lovely, gentle sole get the medications he so needs to live out the rest of his retirement pain free? He's had such a hard, distressing life, please help him.

Maybe if SuzieQ can get the tablets and she's willing, you could give any donations to her.

I don't know if he was a champion in his racing days but if any of you have ever bet on a dog and won, now would be a chance to say thanks.

Yes thats where I live Viv. A friend of mine is asking a contact in Holland. Fingers crossed. The second I here anything I will post here. Yes, would love to meet Woody, he sounds adorable. x

BUMP!

So where is everyone that normally has so much to say on the other doggy threads? :confused:

.....PM Sent.

Hi, Hes not ugly, hes lovely. I go to the lovely vet in Guaza every time I find kittens to have them checked out. Im due to go in the next week or so with one of my cats for her injections. I will buy you some supplies of medicine and contact you when I have it. I will also buy more in the future, we will all help out so you never run out again.
Hes a lucky dog to have you. :)
PS: Is there anyone who can get some straight away so Woody has some now?

Thanks everyone who has offered to help, it's so good to know that at least for now he'll be OK. I hadn't realised just how bad his arthritus was until I stopped giving him the medicines. So I don't know how much longer he has to live. He's 11 now and when he has his tablets, still likes to chase the rabbits. So hopefully he can have a couple more happy years.

Thank you so much **** & Di, yes he is lovely and very beautiful inside but sorry I still think he has an ugly face, even though I love him. I won't use any other vet, I've always used Guaza, from my time helping with the refuges I've heard so many horror stories about some of the others. I once rescued 3 abandonded kittens that were just a few hours old, one had a nasty bite so I took them to Guaza thinking he'd tell me to put them to sleep but no, everyday I went down with them and he gave the one an antibiotic shot so between me and the kind vets in Guaza we managed to save them all, 2 went to Austria via San Francisco and 1 still lives happily in Los Abrigos. For all that he charged me next to nothing just the cost of the antibiotics.

I live in Granadilla so if anyone wants to have a dog meet up somewhere on the beach between El Medano and Los Abrigos one Saturday or Sunday you could all meet him.

I just want to say again thank-you all so much.

Hello my dog was on previcox 227mg three quarters of a tablet per day over here to buy they were over 2.00 euros each but i found you could buy them on line for about 80pence which is lees than one pound, but my dog was 40 kilos so mayube Woody would only need half a tablet per day which would make it cheaper. If you type previcox into google loads of places sell them on line.
hope this helpe, keep up your good work.
Peter

Thanks Peter, Yes that's right they are the 227mg but my vet has said 1 a day and that's what I've given him before. Maybe it depends how bad the pain is, ?cos I was so surprised at how much worse he's got without them.

I'd be a bit worried about buying medications on line, so easy to be ripped off. They could mix up anything and pretend it's the real thing!

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Peter do you still have the Previcox box? Perhaps we could source the ingredient, because both tablets the Previcox and the Fortecor are made to taste good but just plain would be fine for Woody. He swallows his food whole (no teeth) so I wrap tablets in a piece of meat and whoosh they're gone. That may be cheaper.

Also I could try him on 1/2 a tablet and see how he goes. My other old dog who has since died used to be on Previcox too, he was 40 kilos and prescribed a whole tablet a day but as I couldn't afford that I used to give him 1/2 a tablet but he was always still in pain. It just eased it a little. Somehow with Woody after his sad life it just seems only right he should be as painfree as possible these last few years.

My other old dog although it was very hurtful to see him pain, he'd had a good life with me and somehow it wasn't quite so sad. I know that sounds hard but old age comes to us all and he was still enjoying life, when the pain became too much I had him put to sleep. And again the lovely vet in Guaza came all the way up to my house and did it so that he was at home when he died.

When I first took Woody in, athough old, mentally he was like a puppy! I walk my dogs down a bumpy country footpath with loads of freeland either side where they can run. The first few times I took him for a walk, he kept stumbling and found the uneven terrain very difficult, he was nervous and stayed by my side. I didn't think he was enjoying it at all. After a couple of times he got a bit more steady, his ears were cocked and he started running a little with my other dog. He was still very wobbly but I could see the excitement in his body, it was lovely.

Then one day he saw a rabbit and whoosh he was gone, it was beautiful like a totally different dog. The second time he chased a rabbit he fell over and scraped all the skin off one side of his body, nasty. I realised he couldn't turn sharp corners when running! I've since been told that racehorses are the same, something to do with how the muscles and tendons grow as they only run in circles?. I don't know but Woody has trouble with sharp turns presumably for the same reason from his track racing days. He's now learnt to pace himself a little and although he does still have the odd accident he's much more steady and secure.

Watching him learn and experience life has been an amazing journey for both of us and now it's time he had some peace and contentment. With Woody what's so extremley sad is he hasn't had much of a chance of of a good life so to speak. He needs some time, painfree, before the immobility and stress of old age sets in. He's been through enough with his teeth, I just want him to have what little time he has left painfree and happy so he can truly enjoy life.

Thanks again to everyone who are helping.

Sent you a PM Viv55 - I've never seen an ugly greyhound yet!! :)

Goldie the Greyhound is now on painkillers for arthritis, but the vet has told me to put her on Glucosamine HCI/Glucosamine Sulphate, so that hopefully the meds can be cut back. I'm just going to order some on line, the Glucosamine for humans are no different to those they give to dogs, but are cheaper!! Make sure if anyone does give their dogs Glucosamine that it isn't 2KCI or NaCI.

Goforgold I've just answered your PM before reading your post and told you much the same as you've written here! Sorry, I should have checked here first.

Thanks for your help. I know I shouldn't call him ugly because he is beautiful to me but I'm used to labradors, retrievers and those sort of dogs.

I'm going to try and meet the people who have offered donations tomorrow and get to the vets to get his tablets. I don't think there is quite enough to get a full month of both tablets but I should be able to get 2 or 3 weeks worth which will keep him going until SuzyQ and ****&Di have got some. I'm so grateful and happy, it had been such a worry.

I only agreed in the first place to look after him on the condition that his owner pay for him as I knew I couldn't afford to do it, but then when she stopped paying and to watch him suffer has been dreadful. He's such a gentle noble boy, I've never had a greyhound before but I'd reccomend them to anyone now, they are beautiful creatures!

And Page 3!

Hi
sorry i do not still have the box, as my dog died just before Xmas, he was on other supplement tablets also as he as had arthiritis for over 4 years. he was 14 when he went to sleep.
The other tablets were called flexijoint from vetvits on line they deliver here. 240 tablets around 14 pounds 3 to 4 per day for 30 to 40 kilos so usually 2 months supply.
if you need any more info please ask.
good luck.
cheers Peter

Thanks Peter, sorry about your dog, 14 is an excellent age for a large dog. Yes I've just been discussing supplements, i'd forgotton that I used to give Glucosamine to another old dog of mine before he died. So I will definetly get some when I can afford to. The supplements, I believe, although don't actually help with the pain, slow down the progress of the arthritus and help keep the joints supple. Unfortunately I don't have a credit card so will have to buy them here which again is more expensive.

Hi everybody, great news. I picked up 70 euros today, from Andy, Primrose and anon. This meant I was able to buy 1 pack of heart tablets that lasts 4 weeks and 21 days supply of the anti-inflamatories. So Woody is now back on his meds. Thank-you all so much. The anti-inflamatories take a few days to kick in properly but already he seems more settled. At the moment he's curled up fast asleep on the Sofa! I'll try and get a photo shortly.

The rest of the fantastic news is Go for Gold, has sent over 100 pounds which is over a months worth of tablets at current prices!!!! Thank-you so much for your generous donation. SuzyQ is still trying to source the tablets cheaper and has said she will buy some too and of course ****&Di said they'd buy some, so the future really is looking a lot brighter for Woody.

I'll keep you all updated but for now I'm going to try and get a photo for you.

Here is Woody tonight, much more peaceful. Thank-you.12751

Looks so comfy and contented :)

Woody is gorgeous - how could you say otherwise!! :) I must show the photo to OH when he comes in from working. Please can you put some more photos on of him. As 2011 progresses and we see how the work is going, maybe I can prise some more money out of the OH!! ;) he is sucker for greyhounds!! More pics please!!!! :)

:wow: :wow: :wow:

i knew woody before viv offered to take him and thank god she did he was in a really bad way......its so nice to see that he is doing so well....where would he be without you viv........

Thanks TRSoul, I know you used to worry about him before I took him.

GoForGold. I've made a gallery of pictures for everybody to see, link is here: http://www.tenerifeforum.com/members/viv55-albums-woody-greyhound.html I hope that works 'cos couldn't actually see a way to link album to posts.

Lovely Photos, he looks so relaxed and content. Has he hurt his leg in photo number Seven? His back legs look sore? Greyhounds are so placid, like Podencos, they have lovely natures.:)

Added after 3 minutes:

And Page 4!

****&Di glad you like the photos.

No he's not hurt his legs but his hair is very thin in places, I don't know why they look so red in that photo, maybe the light and there is a red wall just next to him so perhaps some sort of reflection??? When he's standing though they can sometimes look red because, this sounds horrible but between the bones there is just skin and you can literally sometimes see the light through!!!

He's such a strange dog, as I've said I've never had a greyhound before and he just seems so delicate, partly I suppose because he is so thin, but he seems to be clumsy and accident prone with it too and he is such a baby.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

This weekend those who want, we could have a meet up somewhere. We'll find a nice run somewhere, maybe on the land between El Medano and Los Abrigos somewhere? If you bring your own dogs they can all have a good time together.

Post times and suggested places those who fancy it and we'll see what we can work out. We could even make it a big picnic??

I now have the €110.74 then GFG sent to my account. Ive just sent a reminder email to the person sourcing the drugs from the vets in Holland - Im guessing the delay is due to Xmas holidays so hopefully will have something concrete next week. Just to say I have the money really for when needed. :)

Greyhounds are the most beautiful, elegant, fabulously natured creatures in the dog world. ;)

They remind me of podencos, lovely. :)

Thanks SuzyQ He's Ok for now as I have the meds for him I bought, as in my post on Tuesday night. So we've got time to hopefully source them cheaper. I had a look on the internet and there doesn't seem to be any cheaper alternatives with the same active ingredients. I found some sites that were cheaper but they wanted UK or US vet prescriptions, obviously not feasable. So hopefully Holland will come through.

Bit off subject but for all those greyhound lovers out there, here's an article about greyhounds in Spain, known as "Galgos" (Spanish for greyhound.

Join the Campaign - Write to your MEP now!

A reader in the UK has taken up the plight of the galgos in Spain with her MEP. Derek Vaughn, one of the Labour MEP's for Wales has replied that he 'was very concerned about the problem and has tabled a Written Question to the Commission to bring it to wider attention and see what can be done to help end this unnecessary suffering'.

Derek Vaughn needs the support of as many other MEPs as possible. Please write to your MEP and ask them to support the Written Question. Below is a sample letter which is a variation of the one to the president of the European Commission already on Galgo News.

You can see all the article with links here http://www.galgonews.com/

Also don't know if you've ever heard of Maria Daines but she sings a song for the "Galgos" http://www.craigmcginty.com/galgonews/files/MARIA_DAINES-GALGO_BLUES.mp3

Maria Daines and her partner Paul do so much for animal welfare around the world. Take a look at thier website here and listen to thier latest single for animal welfare "Unite" http://www.maria-daines.com/

Hi all,
Woody's doing fine and is back to his normal self. I've only a week left of his tablets (arthritus ones) and wondered if there is any news from Holland? Will need to get more by the end of this week. Thanks Viv

Hi Viv,
Im at the Guaza Vets on Monday 24th and will get you some supplies then.
Sharon.:)

Thanks Sharon,
I'll PM you and arrange meet up

I still haven't heard Viv, so let's just get them from Guaza this time.
I have to go to Guargacho tomorrow at 5:45, so Ill carry onto Guaza and get them.
Just tell me again which vets. Thanks :)

And Page 5!

Thanks Suzy,
It's the vet actualy in Guaza, there is only the one as far as I know. Coming up through Guaza from Palm Mar end I'm not sure how many turnings up on the right it is but when you come down from the motorway it's the third turning on the left. There's a supermarket called "Yaiza"? on one corner (has a dark blue shop sign) and I think it's a signage shop on the other. Drive up there about 50 yards or so and it's on the left. Just pass a road turning left. Adress is Calle Agreste No. 6, Guaza Tel: 922 169 249 I believe they're open 10am - 1pm and 4.30pm - 8pm Mon - Fri and 10 - 1 on Saturday

Mention you're getting "Woody's" tablets for me, Vivien Askaroff-Price, then they give them to you at cost. You need Fortecor 20 mg. and Previcox 227mg. They are 2 euros each (The Previcox might be a fraction more as the last couple of times he charged me 2.1 each) and you need twice as many Previcox as Fortekor. Because he only takes 1/2 a tablet of Fortekor a day but a whole one of Previcox. Fortekor come in packets of 14 tablets at a time, Previcox you can buy in individual quantities that you want.

Bit complicated I know I usually buy 1 box of Fortecor and 28 Previcox at a time and then that lasts 28 days. At the moment I have enough Previcox left to last 'til next Monday and Fortecor to last to Monday week. Sharon (****&Di) have said they'll get some on Monday too, so I'll leave it to you how many you think best to get for now.

Thanks so much Suzy and Marion.

Ok, I'll get them tonight and maybe meet you tomorrow afternoon sometime? :)

Just done a google shopping search, both of these can be bought online from the UK, the Fortecor 20mg can be found for about £1.40 per tablet and the Previcox 227mg are available for about 0.85p per tablet.

Would this not be a better way of getting them in the future?

....I used to kennel greyhounds, lost, abandoned and racing dogs also....if I can ever help just drop me a line....I also study in Pit bulls/american staffs....PM me is easier as I don´t get to check the Forum everyday....

Andy I looked into this, problem is you need an English qualified vet's prescription. Any site not asking for a prescription must be dodgy and I wouldn't trust the tablets were what they were supposed to be. If we knew an English vet that would write prescriptions that would be the ideal answer. What amazed me too when I looked was the Fortecor are not a lot different in price but the Previcox are a lot cheaper, I wonder why that is?

Hi Pen, will drop you a line maybe we can have a chat sometime. I love Staffys and Pitbulls too.

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

SuzyQ Can't make tomorrow, work and then got to go and talk with bank about my mortgage problem :wall:
Can pop by on way home from work Friday or meet you at weekend with Woody, whichever is better for you. Will PM you my numbers then we can sort something out.

OK, Ive been and bought a months supply with GFG´s money, and Im meeting Viv on Friday to hand them over. It came to €86 so I asked for another 2 previcox to make it up to €90. So theres €20 left in the pot for next months drugs. If anyone wants to add to this I am happy to go every month and get them. I will drop in the odd tenner as and when I can. :)

Thanks Suzy, You're so kind, I'll see you tomorrow to pick them up as arranged.

Hi Viv,
I got you some supplies today, Ive sent you a PM.

Thanks Sharon. I'm happy to tell you that with GoforGold's donation and Sharon's help we have enough heart tablets now for 64 days and enough antinflamatories for 37 days. And SuzyQ still has another 20 euros which will buy another 10 days antiinflamatories. So Feb is taken care of and into March too. Thanks so much to all of you who've helped Woody.

Peeps my field for 12 years was in the pharmaceutical industry. We made Glucosamine and my old Labrador was on it. He had dreadful problems at 6 years old due to abuse as a pup. It helped tremendously. I would suggest you use either Glucosamine Hydrochloride or Glucosamine Sulphate with Chondroitin. It is a really good idea to put a dog on omega 3 and 6 in some form. Gentle massage is also very good to help as it stimulates. All drugs and natural products are only good for the individual but these do have a good effect on many. You will have to give for about 4 weeks before seeing any real results. Oily fish once a week is good, if on a budget see if any fishermen are on here that may help.

Added after 3 minutes:

And Page 6!

Thanks kevtnn, I've been giving him cod liver oil everyday, I think that helps. As soon as I've some cash I'm going to get some Glucosamine and I'll try the omegas too. I'm a bit worried about fish, because of bones but I suppose I could give him some tinned sardines they should be ok, shouldn't they?

If you ask around I am sure some one will fillet it for you. I will see how easy it is to get Glucs delivered, don't worry they will be genuine, if I can I will let you know.
You could write to Healthylife or Goldshield and see if they may donate you some.......you can get addresses from internet.

I can get them delivered I've bought them before and they're not too expensive but at the moment I can't even afford to pay out an extra 25 euros.

I can't imagine any company would donate them!! However you worked in the industry so perhaps you would know an approach that would persuade them?

Viv, could you mail some pics of Woody to GFG and let her know how he is getting on. I think you have her address, but if nmot PM me and I will give you it. Thanks :)

Yes I'll do that SuzyQ, sorry I should have done this before. I did email her some but she didn't receive my email for some reason. I think I may have to email them seperately as maybe it was too big for her inbox when sent together, hence why I hadn't got round to it. But I will definetly get on to it asap.

---------- Post added at 08:36 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

Ps I did put some up on the gallery here, link is in one of my earlier posts.

Hi all, sorry I've been very busy and not been on the forum much of late. Just a quick update Woody's still doing really well and happy. Thanks to ****&Di, Andy0210 and Primrose for their recent donations Woody still has 24 days of heart tablets and 17 days of painkillers left plus SuzyQ still has 20 euros left from GoforGold's donation. So for the moment he's Ok. I want to say another big thank you to those mentioned above (plus one lady who wishes to stay anonomous) who are helping him, you have been a godsend. I have a few new photos which I'm just loading onto the computer and will post when I've uploaded them here for you.

Here's a nice photo of Woody

http://www.tenerifeforum.com/album.php?albumid=697&attachmentid=13368

Have added a few more photos to Woody's Gallery on here http://www.tenerifeforum.com/members/viv55-albums-woody-greyhound.html

Hi all, Woody has 10 days pain killers and 17 days heart tablets left and we have 50 euros in donations. A pack of heart tablets is 28 euros and lasts 28 days and 28 days of pain killers is 56 euros = 84 euros for 4 weeks supply. Can anyone please help make up the 34 euros difference so we can get him another 4 weeks supply?

He's been doing so well since he's back on his tablets and is very happy and content. Please help him to carry on enjoying his retirement.

:scotflag: Please don't think I am posting just to stir up trouble, but I really believe it would be better in the long run to have this poor animal put down.

Why on earth would you say that? You don't even know him. He is very well and happy as long as he has his medications.

I suppose it's your belief that animals are just for humans to use and abuse and once they have become too old, to make money from, just kill them off.

He's had a hard life and has won people a lot of money on the tracks in the past now it's his time to retire in peace.

When you get a bit old and your heart is a bit dodgy and the arthritus is taking hold, let me be the first person to put you down!!!!

And Page 7!

:scotflag: Viv, as I said I am not trying to cause trouble. Here is a quote from yourself. What happens when these "begging" posts are no longer effective and forum members decline to subsidise Woody anymore. Believe me people will only pay so many times before thinking, "Sod it, I've given enough. Let someone else pay".

Edit: It is very commendable what you are doing, but other people are paying for it.

Yes, I started this thread as a last resort because at the time I thought I would have to have him put down, without his tablets he does suffer.

Yes for the moment other people are paying for him, I'm not doing anything commendable, only what my heart tells me to do. I'm an animal person, I believe all creatures have as much right to live on this planet as humans and am disgusted at how many are so dreadfully abused by us for our own ends. I do and have always done as much as I can to help any animal suffering. I, and I believe everyone of us, has a duty to try and put some good back into the world that we take so much from. I just wish I was physically and financially able to do more.

I took Woody on originally because the wife of his owner who died, said she would pay for his keep, I would not have taken him on otherwise because I knew I couldn't afford him. But after 10 months she refused to pay for him anymore. I, like many people nowadays, am struggling and can't even pay all my mortgage. I'm now 60 years old and have arthritus myself so there's not much on the job front for me, and until the property market picks up and I can sell my house I don't see much of a light at the end of the tunnel. But I am not begging for me that's my problem and I have to find ways to survive. Or maybe I should be put down to? I am a very independent person and have never asked for help before and still wouldn't dream of doing it for myself but this is for a poor defenceless animal that can't help himself.

I am asking for the goodwill and kindness of people for this wonderful dog that has given so much of his life for human pleasure and thank goodness for now, there are good, kind people out there who care and want to help. Thanks to them he's had 3 more months now pain free and happy, would you deny him that? If you've ever put a bet on a greyhound race maybe you should think about helping him as he may of been one of the dogs in the race that gave you that fun!

I have said before anyone who wants to meet him is welcome and in fact some of the donators have. I've also said that people can get the tablets themselves so they know the money is going for his medications, or alternatively SuzyQ has offered to accept the monies and get the tablets herself.

No doubt at some point as you say the help will probably dry up (I just pray that by then my financial situation will have improved) but until then why deny this lovely dog as many days as he can get to enjoy his retirement?

Hey Viv just pm'd you. I have a €30 donation left on the golf del sur, the €20 from last time and I will chuck a tenner in. Aré we about there for another month?
Ps, putting him down not an option,we will sort it :)

I think my 20€ for this month must be about due i will find a way of getting it to you this week!

I'll carry on chipping in my 0.65c a day as long as it keeps making a difference ;)

Would be nice if a few more people could chip in with the same each month. :)

After meeting Woody i know it is money well spent... :)

Thank-you, that's about it then, the 30 euro donation SuzyQ picked up plus the 20 she already had was the 50 euro I said, then with Andy's 20 and SuzyQ's 10, plus 10 from a friend Mike, brings us to 90 euros.

So again a big thank-you to the above mentioned for giving Woody another month of happy retirement. And to the lady who gave the 30 euros, her second donation, but wants to stay anonomous.

Andy, I know it's a bit of a bind having to come all the way up here, is there somewhere I can meet you? Or you can give it to SuzyQ she has all the rest of the money so that may be the easiest way. PM me.

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

Ps I have made Woody my avitar

I will give Andy0210 my 20 Euros for this month and he can pass it on to you.:)

Thanks Primrose. That means we already have some towards next months!

Viv, I know of another forum member who is currently fostering a dog. I hope she will not mind me putting this but she is also financially unable to look after it, but rather than see it back on the streets or in a shelter she is doing her best for it. In order to raise money for the vet bill that she will be receiving shortly she has actually tried selling some of her possessions. Just a thought perhaps you could have a rummage through to see if there is anything you could sell to raise some money towards Woody's medication each month.

Thanks, Jackie but I really don't have anything worth anything to sell, except my house and land but nobody even wants that. Everything I have is so old and near breaking point, I haven't had any money to buy anything new for sometime now!

As I've said I don't want to go into my personal cicumstances because this isn't about me and I'm not asking for me, but basically you could say i'm not far from being a charity case myself.

Im at Guaza vets tomorrow with a kitten, I'll get you some more tablets, which ones would you prefer me to get? Do you need some of one type more than the other? Sharon.:)

tonypub
12-06-2011, 14:26
can you repeat that incase i missed summat.

DJ Dangerous
12-06-2011, 14:26
And Page 8!

Thanks ****&Di, if you get the pain killers, Previcox. You can buy them singuarly so can get as many as you can afford. I've a few more of the heart tablets anyway so with the money we have we can get the boxes of heart tablets and more painkillers as needed.
Again thanks so much to all of you.

Hey Viv, **** and Di gave me 10 previcox earlier, so let me know what you want me to buy with the money I am holding, and when. Thanks :)

SuzyQ, I'm still waiting to collect the other monies this end, but if you could get 1 box of the Fortekor 20 mg. which is 28 euros and the rest of the money on the Previcox 227 mg which are 2 euros each, thanks.

I've enough Previcox here to last to Tuesday. But if that's too early for you I can get another 5 days Previcox with the 10 euros I have here. I still have 12 days of the Fortecor. So let me know when's best for you, for me to pick them up. Thanks SuzyQ for doing this.

Thanks ****&Di too for getting those.

No worries. Would Saturday morning be ok? I could meet you at the vets if that's easier?

Sorry SuzyQ, I can't do Saturday. Will you be at the Fund raiser in Silencio on Sunday PM? I was thinking of coming down to that anyway.

I will. No show without Punch, lol. I'll buy them tomorrow morning then and see you there. :)

who are the vets

Clinica Vetinaria in Guaza Kev. 922 169249.

Hi all,

Woody's tablets are running out again. I thought I had another pack but I was mistaken, so am desperate now as he's only a few days supply left.

On the plus side he's doing so well. He's getting a lot braver now and adventuring further away on his walks. I don't think he'd ever had real walks until I got him. His exercise I think, besides the race track, must have been roadsides and maybe parks, as he struggled at first on the rocky paths and wouldn't stray off them, unless he chased a rabbit but then he'd fall over! Now he's so much more surefooted and often has a nose in the bushes on his own. He's like a puppy, the way he's learning and exploring the world, it's wonderful to watch him over the time. I have to be careful though because he forgets how old he is and can easily overdo it. Sad really that he wasn't able to enjoy all this as a young lad.

So please anyone that can help me towards the cost of his tablets to carry on in his retirement message me? And of course anyone who'd like to join us on a walk you're more than welcome. He gets on with all other dogs as long as they're not too small, I think he thinks the little ones are rabbits!!

I received 10 pounds today via paypal from a forum member, I wont say which one in case she didnt want that. I will double it but that still is only about a weeks worth isnt it Viv?

And Page 9!

I would like to think that this thread makes people who 'just fancy' a dog aware of the cost involved as well as the time, if you are committed to looking after the animal properly. As Viv says it is month on month expense. I have only had my second dog since January and she has already cost me over €400 - €82 of that just today for her first heart-worm injection (already had 3 months of tablets and anti-biotics to start the full blown treatment).

Please if anyone reads this thread make sure you can afford not only the money for what is needed but the time involved taking to vets, administering medicines at specific times etc.

Thanks Suzie, yes it is only 1 weeks worth, in fact 1 week is 21 euros. So if anyone else can help, just a couple of euros it all adds up and helps Woody enjoy his retirement pain free.

Zara you are so right. People do need to think first, an animal is for life not just until it gets too expensive or the novelty wears off.

I only took Woody in because the lady that originally owned him said she'd pay for his keep. After 9 months she stopped paying and of course by then he was so settled it wouldn't be fair to move him again. Before coming to me he spent most of his retirement being shipped from pillar to post because nobody really wanted him and he'd been so neglected, he was in a dreadful state, he was also very down and depressed. So people beware and don't fall into the same trap as me.

This last 18 months that I've had him he has come along in leaps and bounds and now is so lively and happy. It's such an amazing change, it's been wonderful to watch the transformation in him, just like a kid growing up!! I don't suppose before his retirement he saw much else bar the race track and the inside of a kennel so life now has taken on a new meaning to him. He's eleven years old now and until I got him I don't think he'd really had a chance to enjoy life. I just want him to be able to have as much time as possible, that's left to him, to now be able to be happy and fulfilled. So please any dog lovers that can help if you've any odd change in your piggybanks please donate towards his medicines, as I've said before every little bit helps.

I've said this before but anyone who wants to meet him you're welcome, message me and I'll arrange a meet up with you. Also you can see photos of him in the gallery I made a section called Woody. Link is somewhere in this thread.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Ps Suzie can you say thanks very much to the person that sent you the donation.

I have just received another €30, and an enquiry for the paypal details. When that comes in I will go and some more drugs. Ill let you know the total and you can tell me how many to get of each kind Viv. People are very kind :)

If some people were not so unkind to animals others would not have to be kind. Keep up the good job.

OK, the third donation has just come in. The three together total €62.77, plus my tenner is €72.77
Viv, what do you want me to buy and by when please. :) Cheers.

Thanks once again everybody, this is wonderful, you are so kind.

Suzy I bought a few odd tablets today as I'd run out, so whenever is best for you. If you can get 14 Fortecor = 28 euros and 22 Previcox = 44 euros that will keep him going another 4 weeks.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Suzy I think there maybe another donation still to come to you via Paypal if this is the case can you just get more Previcox, thanks

Yes of course :)

Suzy the lady who was going to donate can't now as she has had to take her own cat to the vet, so I think that's it. If you could get the tablets as per my last post and let me know when and where I can meet you. Cheers.

Yes of course but I have good news. A lady on the Golf tonight gave me €50, after reading this thread. So I can now get a months worth and still have money left over for next month. I can go Monday Viv if you want. I had thought it was a holiday (in lieu of tomorrow) but I dont think it is. Do you want to stop by my house on your way home again?? :)

I have a months supply of drugs Viv, and we have money left in the pot towards next month, plus a 25 pound donation received today from GFG. Just need to get them to you now. Could you PM me your mobile and Ill call you tomorrow when Im out and about. :)

And Page 10!

Hi Suzy,
Thanks so much and please tell everyone who have donated a big thank-you from me and Woody, if any body wants to meet him tell them to message me and I can arrange a meet up, I love to show him off and he loves to meet new friends.

I could pick them up from you on way home tomorrow around 5.15pm, I'll message you my numbers.
Cheers Viv

Got it Viv,

Ill call you tomorrow :)

Thanks to everyone who donated again, you're kindness has given Woody another pain free month to enjoy his life to the fullest. I picked the tablets up from SuzyQ yesterday. A big thanks to SuzyQ for kindly helping me in this, without her I wouldn't be able to collect all these monies and I know she has so much to do already, what a hero she is.

I'll swear Woody seems to sense all your help, everyday when I come home he won't let me in until I've spent a few minutes saying hello to him, he literally blocks my path and leans up against me. Yesterday when I came back with the tablets we went through the usual ritual but then he sniffed my handbag and started wagging his tail madly so I'm sure somehow he knows!!

Anyhow we've a full month of tablets again plus SuzyQ says there's a little money over towards next month. Isn't that great? What a wonderful group you are, thank-you

He won't be without...................................

SuzyQ
12-06-2011, 14:27
DJ, how are you lifting quotes from the old forum, I thought they were lost, albeit temporarily. Do you have magic powers, lol.

OK, I am holding €59 in the Woody fund. Now this thread is back up, Im sure Viv will post what she needs and when :)

DJ Dangerous
12-06-2011, 14:28
I have a good memory...

Beware!

cynophilia
12-06-2011, 14:44
Copy and paste :typing:

with cheese
12-06-2011, 20:02
As previously said Woody won't go without, DJD knows that.

Added after 3 Hours 24 minutes:

bump ....................ed my head

Vivy
04-07-2011, 20:28
I have to say a big big thank-you to DJD for reposting all this thread. You don't know what a life saver you've been. I'm not sure if I've ever met you DJD but I know of your good work, so a million thanks again for taking the time.

Meantime update Woody is very well and fine. He still never ceases to amaze me at how well he has responded to all the love and care he gets, thankfully from all of yourselves, through me. He gets more and more outgoing and I must say demanding, bless him. Content at one time to mostly walk by my side as I plodded along, unless he saw a rabbit of course, he now strides off on his own and even whines and demands to go out, if I'm late with his walk!!

I managed last month to scrape together some money for his tablets but the time seems to go so quick and I only have around 1 weeks left now. I think Suzy has nearly enough for the next months supply but if there are any other generous people out there that could add a few euros to it, so we can get the full months worth I'd be grateful and I know Woody will be too.

warmwind
04-07-2011, 22:19
Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but I would like to say many thanks to DJD and MaDat for helping out with a couple of stray kittens that a friend rescued.

SuzyQ
05-07-2011, 00:24
yes I received 20 pounds last week from a forum member, and of course there was money left over from last time, so in total I am holding €83. Can you let me know Viv, how much of each to get, and I will go and buy them. Thanks :)

Vivy
06-07-2011, 17:29
Hi Suzy, 1 pack of Fortecor = 14 tablets and spend what's over on as many Previcox as you can get.

Thanks Suzy, let me know when you have them and I'll be down to pick them up. Please say thanks to the donators for me as I don't know who they are to say thanks, personally.

Isn't it wonderful how kind some people are? And the majority are quietly donating without wanting public recognition.

So a BIG THANK-YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED, hugs from me and lot's of slobbery licks from Woody.

SuzyQ
06-07-2011, 18:08
PMing you now :)

Vivy
07-07-2011, 08:36
Thanks Suzy, will call you today and come down later if that's OK

Zara
07-07-2011, 09:08
One of my dogs is now on medication for life, she has dry eyes and needs Optimmune and Lubrithal twice a day the tubes are tiny and will only last 2 weeks max. buying them here they are €38.60 and €10.80 respectively I can get them online for £19.30 and £5.30 which is a hell of a saving when you have to buy regularly. This is the company http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/Home/Deliveries-and-returns.html and the service has been first class. For some things you need a prescription (which our vets provide FOC) and you just email it to them.:dog:

Vivy
13-07-2011, 20:21
Hi all.
Thanks to you wonderful people, the money Suzyq collected has bought Woody another month's medications. As I don't know who you were I'm saying a big, big thank-you here.

Zara, can you get an English vets prescription then? I'd given up on the internet because they always want a prescription from a vet qualified to practice in the UK and of course all I can get are Spanish vet prescriptions.

If you can get the prescriptions needed that would be great news. The Fortecor heart tablets are 2 euros here, £1.25 on Animed so not a great deal of difference but the anti-inflamatories are also 2 euros here but only £0.79 on Animed a big diference. All in all instead of costing 3 euros a day it would only be £1.42, have to see though as well what the postage would be. With exchange rate and postage might not work out too much cheaper.

Mind you I don't think Animed deliver to Spain but I did find one before that did. Unfortunately I think someone had PMd me the internet address and although I saved the message it was on the old forum so it's now gone. No doubt with a little searching I will find it again or maybe someone will read this and send it to me again.

First though I need to know if we can get the prescription.

Susief
13-07-2011, 20:34
Hi viv
Is this them?
http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions-a-z/prescriptions-d-f/Fortekor-Palatable-Tablets-2.5mg.html
Looking at the website you need a vets prescription.

Zara
13-07-2011, 21:03
Hi all.
Thanks to you wonderful people, the money Suzyq collected has bought Woody another month's medications. As I don't know who you were I'm saying a big, big thank-you here.

Zara, can you get an English vets prescription then? I'd given up on the internet because they always want a prescription from a vet qualified to practice in the UK and of course all I can get are Spanish vet prescriptions.

If you can get the prescriptions needed that would be great news. The Fortecor heart tablets are 2 euros here, £1.25 on Animed so not a great deal of difference but the anti-inflamatories are also 2 euros here but only £0.79 on Animed a big diference. All in all instead of costing 3 euros a day it would only be £1.42, have to see though as well what the postage would be. With exchange rate and postage might not work out too much cheaper.

Mind you I don't think Animed deliver to Spain but I did find one before that did. Unfortunately I think someone had PMd me the internet address and although I saved the message it was on the old forum so it's now gone. No doubt with a little searching I will find it again or maybe someone will read this and send it to me again.

First though I need to know if we can get the prescription.

Hi Viv,

Yes I used Animeddirect. I emailed them before I placed an order and confirmed
a) Did they deliver to Spain - No, but they would deliver FOC to my daughter who has now forwarded these on to me.
b) Would they accept a prescription from a Spanish Vet - Yes providing they could read it.
c) Would they accept multiple quantities - Yes if the vet requested 1 or 100 they would provide it on the vets say so.

I placed my order, emailed a copy of the prescriptions and the meds were despatched within 24 hours. I now have them and they are identical to those I received from my vet here.

I have attached a copy of the prescriptions which I did not have to pay for from my vet so you can see what they found acceptable. I have only removed personal details.

Vivy
14-07-2011, 08:20
Susief, yes they're the heart tablets but Woody needs the strongest ones 20mg and yes unfortunately for both tablets you need a prescription.

Zara, that sounds good, did you're vet sell you the tablets before? I buy them directly from my vet and although he tells me he sells them to me at cost he may be a bit loathe to just write a prescription but I'll ask.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 09:22
Hi Viv,

Yes I used Animeddirect. I emailed them before I placed an order and confirmed
a) Did they deliver to Spain - No, but they would deliver FOC to my daughter who has now forwarded these on to me.
b) Would they accept a prescription from a Spanish Vet - Yes providing they could read it.
c) Would they accept multiple quantities - Yes if the vet requested 1 or 100 they would provide it on the vets say so.

I placed my order, emailed a copy of the prescriptions and the meds were despatched within 24 hours. I now have them and they are identical to those I received from my vet here.

I have attached a copy of the prescriptions which I did not have to pay for from my vet so you can see what they found acceptable. I have only removed personal details.

Zara,

I know it's very different here in the UK to Tenerife, but wondering how you got your prescription. I tried to order over the internet but needed a prescription signed by the vet and they told me they would just match the price on the internet with any cost for delivery factored in. If I could have got a prescription from them it would only be for 3 months as the vets here insist on a check up every 3 months - yet more cost!! :(

Vivy - If the meds have to be delivered to the UK, and you don't have a posting address there, I'm sure there will be a few people on the forum who wouldn't mind accepting delivery. As you know I'm over again in October and only too happy to bring some over for you. Contact me if you can manage to sort something out.

Zara
14-07-2011, 09:41
Susief, yes they're the heart tablets but Woody needs the strongest ones 20mg and yes unfortunately for both tablets you need a prescription.

Zara, that sounds good, did you're vet sell you the tablets before? I buy them directly from my vet and although he tells me he sells them to me at cost he may be a bit loathe to just write a prescription but I'll ask.

My vets, in Costa Silencio prescribed the medication which is to be for life - ordinarily I would just grit my teeth and pay whatever is needed for my girls, but the tubes are so small it would have cost approx €50 every two weeks and there is no way I could afford that.

Zara,

I know it's very different here in the UK to Tenerife, but wondering how you got your prescription. I tried to order over the internet but needed a prescription signed by the vet and they told me they would just match the price on the internet with any cost for delivery factored in. If I could have got a prescription from them it would only be for 3 months as the vets here insist on a check up every 3 months - yet more cost!! :(

Vivy - If the meds have to be delivered to the UK, and you don't have a posting address there, I'm sure there will be a few people on the forum who wouldn't mind accepting delivery. As you know I'm over again in October and only too happy to bring some over for you. Contact me if you can manage to sort something out.

I took a print of what I could get from the website company and asked if she could give me a prescription - she actually said that is cheaper than I can buy it here and joked about can you get me some LOL. She made no charge for the prescription (probably because we have been regular customers - people should always consider the cost of having a dog !!!)

They are excellent vets, two Venezuelan girls, they never charge on consultancy for follow up visits, I got a text each time Marti's heartworm meds were due, I get texted when annual jabs are due and they phone up to see how the girls are after spaying and of course when they found the cancer.:mad:

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 10:17
people should always consider the cost of having a dog !!!)

So very true Zara. The vet fees here are extortionate. Over £1000 on Goldie at the end, just for a couple of blood tests a scan and 3 nights in vet hospital.

I would just love to take on another dog (still have Jadie). I can afford to feed another one, but with retirement in a few years I wouldn't be able to afford vet fees if it became ill. :(

Zara
14-07-2011, 10:40
people should always consider the cost of having a dog !!!)

So very true Zara. The vet fees here are extortionate. Over £1000 on Goldie at the end, just for a couple of blood tests a scan and 3 nights in vet hospital.
:(

I don´t know the cost for Caña as we have had her 3 years and she has been to the vets plenty of times, but we have only had Marti 6 months and it has been over €600 this is all the routine stuff, jabs, chip etc but because of heart-worm, spaying and now a tumour the costs mount up. Personally I would rather give up treats for myself and spend on the girls but I know and appreciate that is not everyone's view.

Goforgold
14-07-2011, 11:26
I don´t know the cost for Caña as we have had her 3 years and she has been to the vets plenty of times, but we have only had Marti 6 months and it has been over €600 this is all the routine stuff, jabs, chip etc but because of heart-worm, spaying and now a tumour the costs mount up. Personally I would rather give up treats for myself and spend on the girls but I know and appreciate that is not everyone's view.

Our dogs come first too - we took them on and so they are our responsibility to the end. Hate to think of the overall cost for the 5 years we had her, but she was worth it.

Thanks for the information regarding the prescriptions - very useful. :)

Vivy
15-07-2011, 08:11
GoforGold, thanks for that, ´cos yes that would be the next thing where to send them to in UK. Another member has PM'd coming out in Aug so I will check next week at vets re prescription.

Zara, thanks I will take your tip and show my vets the website to.

Vivy
11-09-2011, 11:24
Sorry all for being so quiet, but have been very busy and am struggling too with my back, find it hard to be on the computer for too long at a time.

Update Woody is fine and still continues to enjoy life though at least one of his few remaining teeth needs to come out, an operation I just cannot afford at this time.

The good news is I'm starting a new project, there is still a lot of preparation to be done but hopefully it will be up and running in the new year. This will not only give me a little more income, so I'll be able to pay all the medication Woody needs including removing the offending teeth, but through it I will be able to help a few of the older abandoned dogs and some of the other refuges too. It's very exciting and I'm really looking forward to it.

Thank you to those who offered to bring his tablets across from UK if I ordered them off the net. I got the prescriptions from my vet but I didn't think at the time, brain must be getting slow in my old age! Problem is when I got into this financial difficulty, the bank stopped my credit cards so I've no way of paying for them if I could afford too!!! The vet didn't date the prescriptions or put any quantity so I will be able to use them next year when things are better.

Meantime though I'm back to the old problem of not having enough money to get his tablets at the moment. I hate having to ask like this and have been buying odd ones as I can, and unfortunately Woody's had to miss some days tablets when I didn't have any, but I really don't have the money to get more this month, I've just 5 days left at the moment.

So please kind people if any of you can donate just a couple euros (it all adds up) Woody and I will be extremely grateful.

caroletenerife
11-09-2011, 11:46
Sorry all for being so quiet, but have been very busy and am struggling too with my back, find it hard to be on the computer for too long at a time.

Update Woody is fine and still continues to enjoy life though at least one of his few remaining teeth needs to come out, an operation I just cannot afford at this time.

The good news is I'm starting a new project, there is still a lot of preparation to be done but hopefully it will be up and running in the new year. This will not only give me a little more income, so I'll be able to pay all the medication Woody needs including removing the offending teeth, but through it I will be able to help a few of the older abandoned dogs and some of the other refuges too. It's very exciting and I'm really looking forward to it.

Thank you to those who offered to bring his tablets across from UK if I ordered them off the net. I got the prescriptions from my vet but I didn't think at the time, brain must be getting slow in my old age! Problem is when I got into this financial difficulty, the bank stopped my credit cards so I've no way of paying for them if I could afford too!!! The vet didn't date the prescriptions or put any quantity so I will be able to use them next year when things are better.

Meantime though I'm back to the old problem of not having enough money to get his tablets at the moment. I hate having to ask like this and have been buying odd ones as I can, and unfortunately Woody's had to miss some days tablets when I didn't have any, but I really don't have the money to get more this month, I've just 5 days left at the moment.

So please kind people if any of you can donate just a couple euros (it all adds up) Woody and I will be extremely grateful.

Hi Viv
I can spare 10 euros for his tablets, how do i get it to you, or could someone come to the Live Arico Shop in San Eugenio to pick it up for you. my daughter is coming over in October, is there anyway she can help? Can she get them from a vet in Scotland cheaper. x

Vivy
11-09-2011, 12:26
Thanks Carole, do you ever see SuzyQ? If so the easiest way would be to give it to Sue and I can pick it up from her as she lives over my way. A lot of members see Sue and give her money for Woody.

Sorry Sue haven't asked you first but I presume this would be OK. If not I'll find a way to pick it up.

She'll need a prescription to get them from a vet and I think they are much the same price as here. On the internet is cheapest but you need a credit card, the Fortecor heart tablets are 2 euros here, £1.25 on Animed so not a great deal of difference but the anti-inflamatories are also 2 euros here but only £0.79 on Animed a big diference. All in all instead of costing 3 euros a day it would only be £1.42, (he only has 1/2 a foretcor tablet a day).

Here are the links Previcox 227mg: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions-a-z/prescriptions-m-q/Previcox-Tablets.html

Fortecor 20mg: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions-a-z/prescriptions-d-f/Fortekor-Flavour-Tablets.html

PM me anyone that can help with getting them off the net, thanks.

SuzyQ
11-09-2011, 16:40
Its fine, I am sending CT a message now re getting the €10 to me. I am happy to accept doantions for Viv, as I did before. PM me for my paypal address anyone who wants to. GFG asked me the other week how Woody was getting on.

Vivy
12-09-2011, 08:24
Thanks Sue, that's a great help. Ive been meaning to drop GFG a line, will definetly do so this week, I believe she's coming over soon so I will arrange to meet her and she can meet Woody, I know she'll love him.

Vivy
13-09-2011, 21:40
Hi, is there no one else can spare a few euros to help poor Woody.

Track greyhounds are taken from the mother at just 3-4 weeks old and hand reared, this is so they never learn doggy things, they're not allowed to be dogs, they're just racing machines. They miss out on so much of a normal dog's life. Then when they get too old, they're dumped, or killed. All this so people can watch the thrill and excitement of dog racing, they give up their lives for our pleasure!

Soon after Woody's initial rescue, his original rescuer died, from then on he has been pushed from pillar to post without anyone really wanting him. He's been neglected and unloved, until 18 months ago he was passed onto me. He now has the loving home he deserves.

Originally when I was asked to take him, his owner said she'd pay for him and any veterinary treatment etc. he needed, I wouldn't have taken him otherwise, at 60 years old I don't have enough income to pay for his medications and with the credit crunch am struggling to pay all my bills as it is.

However after a few months she stopped paying for him and so this is why I'm asking for help as I couldn't stand to see him suffer especially when, with the medications he can leave a normal, painfree active life.

Poor Woody is still learning to be a dog, he's like a young pup as he explores the world with fun and excitement, it's been so wonderful to watch him in his journey. Unfortunately his body is not young and he needs tablets for his heart and painkillers for his arthritus. With his tablets he can still enjoy life, he can gallop about at times like the young whipper snapper he thinks he is, without his tablets he is in constant pain and has no energy.

Please help Woody have the life he so deserves, he has given humans so much pleasure in his life, it's now our turn to give him something back.

Goforgold
14-09-2011, 09:26
Hi Viv, I have only just seen these posts, I must have missed the earlier ones. If you e mail me with exactly what I need to get I will order some over the internet and bring them over.

The plight of the greyhound is so awful. They breed thousands every year, and thousands are dumped each year worldwide. They are treated particulary bad in Ireland and Spain. Many are left to die very slowly in terrible ways. Not just killed. Greyhounds are beautiful creatures, gentle and lazy, you can see into their souls. Once you own a greyhound you are hooked for life. Many years ago, you would be killed for harming a greyhound, they were so revered. Prince Albert's favourite dog was the well known Greyhound, Eos. There is a bronze statue of this dog in the Isle of Wight, fabulous!! Link below:-

http://www.suite101.com/view_image_articles.cfm/1876014

Cat Woman
14-09-2011, 18:01
Thanks for posting that, its a lovely photo and story.
I will give another donation for Woody.
Viv, do you want to call down to the market on Sunday or I should I pay it into SuziQs account?

Sundowner
14-09-2011, 18:51
I will am waiting for Suzyq to give me her paypal details so I can send Woody a small donation. Let's hope some more kind people help out too.

SuzyQ
16-09-2011, 00:25
I have it sundowner, and also a donation from GFG. Viv, Ive lost your numbers, but I know you have mine, can you call me. Woody will be ok for a bit. people are so nice.

Cat Woman
16-09-2011, 22:05
Hi Suzi,
Could I please have your details so I can make a donation for Woody.
Thanks,
Sharon. :)

Vivy
17-09-2011, 09:14
Sorry I've not been online for a couple of days, my internet was down.

Thank you all so much, it sounds silly but when I see you all rallying round it really does bring a lump in my throat and make me want to cry. I hate having to ask like this, I've never asked for anything in my life before and if it was for me personally I'd just go without and suffer but when it's for poor Woody, I can't stand to see him miserable and I know I just have to swallow my pride.

GoforGold, thanks for that, I know you know a lot more about greyhounds than me. I've never owned one before and yes what you say is right, you can see into their souls, and such a beautiful sight it is, they're unlike any other dog I've ever owned. I'm emailing you now.

Cat Woman and Sundowner, thanks again and yes it is easier if you pay it to Sue's Paypal.

Sue, yes I have your number, I'll ring you and sort out when I can meet up with you.

Thanks again to everybody for giving Woody the life he deserves.

Vivy
16-12-2011, 16:42
Thought I better update you all as I've not been on the forum for some time.

Woody is doing really well. With all your donations I was able to order 3 months supply of tablets for him off the internet. Go for Gold bought them over for me when she visited.

Go for Gold and her husband came up and visited Woody while they were here. It was so nice to put a face to a name and great to meet them both at last. Go for Gold took some photos of Woody so please if you read this, could you post 1 or 2 on here for everyone to see. Thanks.

At the moment we have a 4 legged lodger, Scooby, a little puppy I'm fostering for Live Arico. She has a new home in Germany and should be flying in the next week or so. Woody is so good with her, although he doesn't play, (don't think he knows how) he puts up with her jumping all over him and is very gentle with her.

Woody looks on with disdain when Scooby and my other dog are playing and jumping about madly as if that sought of behaviour is beneath him!! But truth be known I think he's fascinated as poor thing he never was given a chance to play when young and simply doesn't understand that sort of social behaviour. So sad how they bring up these professional racing greyhounds.

Anyhow that's about it for now except to say I hope you all have the Happy Christmas and Merry New Year you all deserve. Thank you, Viv

sunseeker
16-12-2011, 19:11
thanks for the update:)

Goforgold
17-12-2011, 12:29
Hi Viv - I've been meaning to contact you to see if it was ok to put the photos on the forum, but for some reason or another I've been very busy since the holiday - I should have some time in the next few days so will dig them out and upload them :)

It was lovely to meet you and Woody :)

Goforgold
18-12-2011, 15:21
Here is the Wonderful Woody :)

Suej
18-12-2011, 15:28
Here is the Wonderful Woody :)

Lovely pics GFG! :thanx:

Goforgold
18-12-2011, 15:44
The photos don't do him justice Suej, what a greyhound :)