PDA

View Full Version : What's the best delivery method to select on Amazon?

KirstyJay
14-04-2012, 00:27
I've got some stuff I want to order on Amazon.co.uk, but get delivered to Tenerife. I seem to remember someone mentioning on the old forum that it's better to select the normal delivery, rather than free supersaver delivery for some reason... can anyone confirm if this is the case, and if so, why?

Ta :)

timmylish
14-04-2012, 01:35
Absolutely no. We have purchased so many things from a 32' tv, 2 lap-tops (one as a present) and then about 40 other lesser items including diamond rings, printer refills and the rest. Every single one has been delivered by "Super Saver" free delivery with no time restrictions. We have twice paid excise duty and nothing else in the way of Tenerife taxes or delivery charges so, my question has to be - how can you get it done cheaper if the goods you intend purchasing are at the price you want to pay? Pray someone answer this but if you try please be specific, in the way I have!

KirstyJay
14-04-2012, 15:37
It was in order to prevent getting charged the excise duty, which you mentioned you paid for twice... I'm sure someone mentioned that the probability of this charge increases if you order using SuperSaver to Spain.

KirstyJay
14-04-2012, 15:45
Here it is...

Quick note about Amazon - don't use the supersaver postage or the express postage. If you do it takes up to a month and is guaranteed to be stopped by customs. We find using the regular postage method (via the post office) works best. Stuff arrives within a week or so and about 1 item in 10 gets stopped at customs.

louisecox
14-04-2012, 16:48
Hi often buy stuff from amazon and often use supersaver, and it has all arrived when expected ( the following week) the only time have had to pay tax was on a lap top and it wasnt that expensive. So happy shopping.

Suej
14-04-2012, 16:56
Hi often buy stuff from amazon and often use supersaver, and it has all arrived when expected ( the following week) the only time have had to pay tax was on a lap top and it wasnt that expensive. So happy shopping.

Do you put "Tenerife" on the address or just your post code and then "Spain" I'm still confused as I didn't think that Amazon UK delivered to Canary Islands???

anegib
14-04-2012, 17:24
If it is any help I get stuff delivered here to Tenerife from Amazon.co.uk all the time. No problems at all.

Added after 5 minutes:

Sorry forgot to say just use normal post.

Cas
14-04-2012, 22:54
I would like to order stuff through Amazon but wasn't sure whether or not I would be charged tax when it got here. I recently had something else sent from UK and that got stopped by the post office and had to pay 14 euros tax on it.

KirstyJay
14-04-2012, 23:37
I bit the bullet and ordered, so I'll let you know if I get a big tax bill :)

tracy hampshire
14-04-2012, 23:52
i`ve ordered loads of stuff from amazon, both posts are no problem, had to pay tax on 2 items, my kindle ( the guy who delivered it said he had a van full to deliver all with tax to pay) & this was from amazon spain, & a slow cooker i got from the uk, other wise never had a problem.

timmylish
14-04-2012, 23:58
Just to clarify. We use super saver and out of a possible 36 purchases we incurred the tax for Tenerife on 2 items at just under 10% on the value of goods. The irony was that when having to pay this twice it landed on 2 lesser value items and not on the TV/Laptops/Printer!!!!!!!!! Now to be more specific. 2 laptops, 1 TV, 1 HP Printer(!), 16 pieces of decent jewellery, 1 Windows 7 Ultimate, 2 sets of Earphones (ea at 60€,s) and various smaller (in value) items. So, to pay import duty on 2 of these goods and all delivered with 14 days cannot be bad at all. Remember we also saved on not paying UK VAT thereby saving nearly 20% on goods! All in all delighted with the costs and service.

Cas
15-04-2012, 10:20
Interesting Timmylish that you only paid under 10% of the cost price. My goods only cost £45 but still had to pay just under 14 euros. This was nearly 30% of the cost price. The post office requested copies of the invoice etc which I sent to them but they still charged me the 30%. This has kind of put me off ordering goods that cost a lot. For example I would like to order a TV but wouldn't like to have to pay an extra 30% on top of price.

When they charged you tax did you have to send your paper work for the goods to the post office? Eg NIE, invoice ?

Thanks for your help.

Jackie
15-04-2012, 10:34
I have only ever had one thing sent here from Amazon by someone in the UK sending me a Kindle for Christmas. They tried ordering it on Amazon UK but because it was coming to Spain they kept getting directed to Amazon ES. They finally ordered it off the ES site paid the postage etc. and was advised it would arrive within 5 - 10 days. From Spain it went to 2 different places in France and then a further 2 in Germany before arriving here almost 4 weeks later. To top it all off 35 euros tax had to be paid on it's delivery all for a 90 quid Kindle which I don't even use haha

golf birdie
15-04-2012, 11:25
I buy everything from Amazon and have supersaver free delivery. Never had a problem with the post. had a couple of problems with items which Amazon sorted without a problem. Paid duty on 3 items which when you consider you save 20% at checkout on the VAT its a steal. In fact I would say they are the best company in the world for customer service. If I need something and its on Amazon thats the only place I would ever buy it from.

Cas
15-04-2012, 11:46
Hi golf birdie, please could I ask if you have ordered big items? Like TVs

Thanks

golf birdie
15-04-2012, 12:07
Hi golf birdie, please could I ask if you have ordered big items? Like TVs

Thanks

never a TV but everything else, CD's, Watches, powertools, airfryer, coffee machine, Kettle, toaster, Microwave, shoes, trainers and even a water feature which weighed 14 kilo (had to pay 11 euros for delivery). Best company in the world IMO and if Ryan air had a 1/4 of their customer service they would be the best airline in the world.

Added after 26 minutes:

plus you can order from Amazon.es where they take off the tax off but you will be charged the tax rate that applies to the Canary islands for the product you buy when it is delivered.

Cas
15-04-2012, 12:36
Great thanks, that's a big help. Just wondering if its the big items that get charged tax on them as these can't go through a letterbox.

golf birdie
15-04-2012, 12:40
Great thanks, that's a big help. Just wondering if its the big items that get charged tax on them as these can't go through a letterbox.

I had one large item which I had to pay tax on but the item was faulty and had to go back, Amazon refunded the cost of the postage to send it back and the tax I had to pay. They sent me a new item and this one came without any charge for tax. Its just luck or bad luck if you get a bill.

Cas
15-04-2012, 12:49
Ok thanks, I'm will try it the next time I want something and wait to see if I get charged.

timmylish
16-04-2012, 00:39
I repeat again. I TV , 2 Laptops, 1 HP Printer.
Are they large enough?
To answer the question on the tax. I was at home when the delivery was being made and paid at the door to the delivery person. Once the Post Office and the other time, Seur (I think).

Added after 5 minutes:

Oh. I NEVER order from Amazon.Es always the UK or USA. I have never been told to change to Es
Anyway, don,t like Es don,t have most of the stuff we want. On the address I only put our local address and Sta. Cruz, Spain. (Not Espana and no Tenerife).

timmylish
16-04-2012, 20:15
Just to let you all know. We ordered 3 items from 3 different sellers (within amazon) exactly 8 days ago (last Sunday) and all 3 arrived to-day by post. No charges no nowt just well packaged and what we wanted. Beat that?

KirstyJay
16-04-2012, 21:48
Just got mail today saying that 2 of my items are on their way via DHL... so I'm a bit dubious about that, as it's usually DHL that charge. It's only 2 packs of cards!!! Colours and Numbers SNAP! for my classes!

timmylish
16-04-2012, 22:03
Kirsty. You know in all the items I,ve explained we have received from Amazon over the last year or so only 2 have been with DHL/Seur. Both were expensive items. As I said. To-days was sent from Germany by Deutsche Post/Spanish Post!

samnickgodber
17-04-2012, 10:07
I too order many things from amazon uk, mostly small items and never had a problem with extra cost however we ordered a George Forman grill at xmas and we got taxed on it an extra €17 in total,, i think its just the look of the draw on these things, I recieved a yellow collecion slip through the post with another piece of paper asking for all details ie reciept for goods ect to be emailed or faxed to them,,, did that and within a few days got another slip to collect my item from the post office,

Cas
17-04-2012, 21:20
Thanks samnickgodber, that is the same as what I got. So at least I know now that someone else has had to send in their details too.