PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Your first pets in Tenerife

DJ Dangerous
12-06-2011, 15:08
What were your first pets in Tenerife?

Do you have any videos or photos?

I was flicking back, and found a few YT videos of my first few "pets".

I'd never intended having pets here, but fate, it seemed, had other plans...

Guapa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9NpBXep5D8) and Sarge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBRnNsXksI) were two strays I'd been feeding in Adeje, and I had them castrated by the ASFA vets.

When I went to collect them, only Sarge was conscious, and he recognised me and started calling straight away.

After that, I simply couldn't leave him back on the streets...

Then came Lucky and Juan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kxkeh3VnZA).

Lucky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3sqDdUWYRc) was a tiny malnourished kitten with a stone in his stomach (probably from eating scraps off the ground) and a smashed leg. I remember carrying him into the vets in San Juan (scared the sh** out of Mrs. TB on the trip down there, but that's another story), and the vet looking and shaking her head. I wanted to cry, but I was too stubborn, and asked her to make an appointment with a vet in El Medano to look at his leg.

After a few jabs and some special food, he started eating, so it was off to El Medano, where the vet put him on the floor, watched him wobble, and told me not to worry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEA0_qkPemo) - he's sitting (a lot bigger and fatter) looking at me right now, with Juan and Guapa. Grumpy old Sarge is out sun-bathing.

Juan was a tiny kitten that Andy0210 and I found at the rally in San Juan that year. He was sitting on the road beside a dead cat, that we presumed was his mother, crying and crying, but we couldn't catch him. I ran off to buy some sardines or something in a shop, but by the time I got back, Andy had him.

Life would have been so empty without them!

YOUNG GOLFER
12-06-2011, 15:10
What were your first pets in Tenerife?

Do you have any videos or photos?

I was flicking back, and found a few YT videos of my first few "pets".

I'd never intended having pets here, but fate, it seemed, had other plans...

Guapa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9NpBXep5D8) and Sarge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBRnNsXksI) were two strays I'd been feeding in Adeje, and I had them castrated by the ASFA vets.

When I went to collect them, only Sarge was conscious, and he recognised me and started calling straight away.

After that, I simply couldn't leave him back on the streets...

Then came Lucky and Juan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kxkeh3VnZA).

Lucky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3sqDdUWYRc) was a tiny malnourished kitten with a stone in his stomach (probably from eating scraps off the ground) and a smashed leg. I remember carrying him into the vets in San Juan (scared the sh** out of Mrs. TB on the trip down there, but that's another story), and the vet looking and shaking her head. I wanted to cry, but I was too stubborn, and asked her to make an appointment with a vet in El Medano to look at his leg.

After a few jabs and some special food, he started eating, so it was off to El Medano, where the vet put him on the floor, watched him wobble, and told me not to worry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEA0_qkPemo) - he's sitting (a lot bigger and fatter) looking at me right now, with Juan and Guapa. Grumpy old Sarge is out sun-bathing.

Juan was a tiny kitten that Andy0210 and I found at the rally in San Juan that year. He was sitting on the road beside a dead cat, that we presumed was his mother, crying and crying, but we couldn't catch him. I ran off to buy some sardines or something in a shop, but by the time I got back, Andy had him.

Life would have been so empty without them!

Doreen please get him back to work he has way to much time on his hands:eyebrows::eyebrows:

DJ Dangerous
12-06-2011, 15:12
Doreen please get him back to work he has way to much time on his hands:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Let's go for a walk, then, He-Man.

YOUNG GOLFER
12-06-2011, 15:19
Let's go for a walk, then, He-Man.

You must be joking lol...you remember the old friend of mine you met at Javi's well he gave my wife some cash for her birthday....well she then gave it to me to tile the Patio..What a cheek.

Shes off to the pool why poor YG is working.

Chris P. Bacon
12-06-2011, 15:33
That's lovely DJ but can you please tell me why you have your router fixed to the ceiling? ???

Jackie
12-06-2011, 15:34
Our first pet in Tenerife was Milo our Jack Russell who we brought from the UK with us. He is 9 this year and still really active, someone told me that Jack Russell's calm down after about 18 months but Milo is still going for it:lol: He is also and avid England fan ;)

Our second pet was Bailey. She was abandoned with her brother and sister and found by my neighbour when she was about 3 weeks old. She had Parvo virus and spent 10 days in the vets on a drip but as you can see pulled through and has now gone from this

to this in 18 months...

Our third 'pet' although we could not keep him was Charlie. He followed my daughter home from the bus stop very early one morning and sat on our door step. We took him to the vets to be checked and was told he was about 2 months old. My daughter named him Charlie because the first thing he did was bite her finger:lol: We had him for about 3 weeks and then he was adopted by forum members who despite saying they would let me know how he is getting on failed to keep any contact or reply to my PM's. I can only hope they still have him and he is in good health

Our fourth and fifth 'pets' where two pups that my daughter found abandoned near San Miguel along with four others in the litter. She managed to catch a boy and a girl but the others kept hiding under rubble so she never managed to get them. We did hear later that the Local Policia actually took them. Again these were adopted by forum members, the boy who was named Jack went to the Grandad and the next day his Grandaughter came and picked up the girl. Again despite PM's they have never replied.

No doubt will will 'foster' more animals along the way because for some reason they seem to find my daughter:lol:

Chris P. Bacon
12-06-2011, 15:56
324This is Micky our little rescue kitten...

lozzie1821
12-06-2011, 16:53
my 1st pet was a siamese cat called lucy.... i had her for 19years n she died in Feb of old age, she was a brilliant cat!! a proper duchess and was definetly the boss in our house haha. if she was settled on the couch we sat around her 2 accomodate her.

then i had a westie called santa (bought as a xmas pressie) someone stole him.

i fostered 2 dogs from k9 that were left outside - they hadnt even opened their eyes, we gave them back when they had found a home together :-) i fed them by bottle and watched them grow - they were boxer type dogs. GORGEOUS!!

my dad bought me another westie the following year and i called her Milly (bought in 2000) we had her for 1 year n she got out and a driver hit her!!!

then ma dad said he wasnt going to buy anymore westies - they were bad luck for us so he bought me a cocker spaniel called Bobby.......... my mum gave it a bone whilst i was on holiday and it choked :-( by time she got it to the vets he had died.

never had a worse time with dogs i love them but they just dont seem to have any luck with us as owners..

ive now got a cat called Alfie & a fish called Alfie lol x

Jackie
12-06-2011, 16:56
my 1st pet was a siamese cat called lucy.... i had her for 19years n she died in Feb of old age, she was a brilliant cat!! a proper duchess and was definetly the boss in our house haha. if she was settled on the couch we sat around her 2 accomodate her.

then i had a westie called santa (bought as a xmas pressie) someone stole him.

i fostered 2 dogs from k9 that were left outside - they hadnt even opened their eyes, we gave them back when they had found a home together :-) i fed them by bottle and watched them grow - they were boxer type dogs. GORGEOUS!!

my dad bought me another westie the following year and i called her Milly (bought in 2000) we had her for 1 year n she got out and a driver hit her!!!

then ma dad said he wasnt going to buy anymore westies - they were bad luck for us so he bought me a cocker spaniel called Bobby.......... my mum gave it a bone whilst i was on holiday and it choked :-( by time she got it to the vets he had died.

never had a worse time with dogs i love them but they just dont seem to have any luck with us as owners..

ive now got a cat called Alfie & a fish called Alfie lol x

aww Lozzie you definately haven't had a lot of luck with the dogs, let's just hope that Alfie doesn't eat Alfie:lol::lol:

doreen
12-06-2011, 17:12
Our second pet was Bailey. She was abandoned with her brother and sister and found by my neighbour when she was about 3 weeks old. She had Parvo virus and spent 10 days in the vets on a drip but as you can see pulled through and has now gone from this

to this in 18 months...

Jackie, I remember you posting that pup photo of Bailey - great to see her all grown up ... a Podenco/German Shepherd mix, maybe :)

Jackie
12-06-2011, 17:29
Jackie, I remember you posting that pup photo of Bailey - great to see her all grown up ... a Podenco/German Shepherd mix, maybe :)

When we first took her to the vet she thought she was a Doberman, but I think that was mainly because of her colouring and she was so tiny at the time.. Both her brother and sister are the normal sandy brown colouring of most Podencos, which I think she is??? She was just the runt of the litter, in fact I think she could even be a horse:lol: she has grown so big but still manages to get in all the little places that our Jack Russell does. It's funny seeing her curled up in a tiny ball because she wants to sleep in his bed and not hers:lol:

Susief
12-06-2011, 18:23
She's a credit to you Jackie, I remember when you rescued her and it was touch and go for a while with the parvovirus!

tracey
13-06-2011, 20:18

We brought our Portuguese water dog (mix) with us when we moved here 3 months ago. She is CRAZY!

Since then we have got a little jack russel that the neighbours abandoned, their 2 grown cats and now their are kittens sneaking in for food. We also had chickens trying to get over the wall into our garden the other day.

Its turning into a bit of a mad house!!

Note to self: STOP feeding all the animals in the neighbourhood! :doh: