PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty registering a baby with the Social Security doctor in Tenerife

missSJ
14-04-2012, 19:26
Iīm having difficulty registering my new born baby(born over here) with the social segurity doctor in Los Cristianos.
I havenīt worked with a contract for over a year, this wasnīt a problem while i was pregnant (i wasnīt looking for a job while heavily pregnant either) i could still see a doctor.
But now that my baby is born i canīt register him, because iīm not working.
Iīve tried to explain that i donīt want to work while he is just a few weeks old!
But they say that i need to get papers from the Bristish Consulate confirming that iīm not receiving benefits in the UK. And have them all translated into spanish.
I canīt really afford to go private.
Has anyone else come across this problem?

KirstyJay
14-04-2012, 23:58
If you register at the INEM (Employment office) as being out of work, then regardless of whether you claim benefits, you should be recorded in the system and therefore allowed up to 6 months of health benefits without contract. Are you not registered on the Empadrón in your Ayuntamiento?

missSJ
17-04-2012, 14:22
Thank you KirstyJay,
But your letter doesnīt really answer my question, I havenīt worked for over a year, so although the social segerity doctor accepted me while i was pregnant they have now taken me off the register because i havenīt paid social segurity in more than a year. I donīt mind so much about that(hopefully i wonīt get ill!)But they also took my daughter off the register because she had been under my name while i was working,(But if have an E111 form for her so that she can see the emergency doctor if she needs to) And they wonīt register my baby without forms from the Bristish Consulate saying that iīm not recieving benefirs in the UK. (I wish! I also canīt recieve benefits here, if i could iīd pay to go private!)
Children under 18 are supposed to have ortormatic right to see a doctor, but iīm finding it very difficult.
And i tried to call the British Consulate(in the morning, in the opening times) but i canīt seem to speak to a person, only a machine & leave a message, they havenīt called me back...
Does anyone else have these problems?

casabonny
17-04-2012, 15:32
the elephant in the room is who is the father is he spanish then the child is spanish and you should get help by stating his name . if the father is english then and you are english and the baby is english and you dont have a job then go back to the uk until you get yourself sorted coz you aint going to make it here with no job,no money and a young child .

DONT END UP HAVING THE SPANISH CHILDRENS SERVICES TAKING YOUR KID AWAY
I really dont think this reply is useful nor pleasant.Clearly the girl needs some help.
OP Contact my daughter Emma , follow the link in my signature , and she may be able to help.

missSJ
17-04-2012, 15:56
Thank you to you both, just to let Satellite know, there is no elephant in the room.
I am married, my husband is arabic(which means the children take UK nationality) & his name is on the birth certificate. I donīt want to go back to the Uk as my husband canīt speak english! Heīd he completey lost there. And i want my children to grow up speaking languages.
Iīm not in a completely hopeless situation, just having problems registering for the doctor. And if anyone has been through the same iīd love to hear from them on how they got on sorting it all out.
Many thanks XX

Megaloo
17-04-2012, 16:06
the elephant in the room is who is the father is he spanish then the child is spanish and you should get help by stating his name . if the father is english then and you are english and the baby is english and you dont have a job then go back to the uk until you get yourself sorted coz you aint going to make it here with no job,no money and a young child .

DONT END UP HAVING THE SPANISH CHILDRENS SERVICES TAKING YOUR KID AWAY
:devil2: :devil:

missSJ
07-05-2012, 16:39
Thank you for your help Satalite,
But that is not true in my situation, I am British born, not British by descent.
When a baby is born to non-spanish parents, and one is european & the other isnīt, it takes the european nationality. It doesnīt matter if that is the mothers or fathers. I havenīt heard anything about baby taking the fathers nationality.

missSJ
07-05-2012, 17:05
Actually not true, but thank you for your help.
There is no point in a baby taking the fathers nationalty if he is non-european & the mother is european. The baby could then be illegal here & holding a passport on which he needs a visa to travel inbetween european counties, not much use!
When i registered my child for his birth certificate over here they told me this & he is registered as british.
It might be different if the parents are non-spanish europeans...I donīt know, sounds a little sexist to me..that the baby HAS to take the fathers nationalty!

cainaries
07-05-2012, 20:50
A Canarian friend here has registered her baby under her nationality not the father's (British). So she has no trouble with the Social Security. I know this doesn't help you, missSJ, but at least shows that you don't have to register the baby under the father's nationality. I don't suppose for a moment that the British Consulate can help you? Might do better to try Forum Member goldenmaniac.

bonitatime
08-05-2012, 09:39
Ours have both nationalities and their paperwork has varied over the years depending on which parent was presenting the papers at the time
They as adults are actually registered as Austrian although both have British passports for this registration

missSJ
08-05-2012, 11:58
Thank you so much, the only person that has told me about a baby having to take the fathers nationalty is Satalite & i found him quite patronising!
I donīt know where he got his information from..they told me to register under my British nationalty when i took the birth certificate & also at the doctors they said that being as i am the european parent the baby would take mine.
But of course if one parent is spanish then things are a lot easier!
Iīve got things sorted now, in case anyone else comes up against the same problems..the rules have changed & for non-spanish people who are not working, we need private health care,if weīre not paying tax. I was told that if i got paperwork from the Uk to say that iīm not claming anything there i could register the children in the social. I would have to contact the British consulation for the paperwork, but i havenīt managed to speak to a person there! When iīve called itīs always a switchboard, iīve left many voice messages & e-mails but no reply, maybe they donīt want to help or maybe they are busy..
I registered as self imployed in the end, as long as iīm paying social segurity tax everything is OK!

casabonny
08-05-2012, 14:53
British consulate are IMHO a waste of space.I went there last week to surrender a deceaseds passport and there was absolutly no one there except the staff and a security guard , so I dont think they havent replied because they are busy!
Glad you are sorted now.