PDA

View Full Version : Other What little luxury from home can you not be without when in Tenerife?

tracy hampshire
17-04-2012, 08:44
for me itīs tea, everything else is no problem, but i do need a strong cuppa in a morning :)

macdonald5
17-04-2012, 08:47
for me itīs tea, everything else is no problem, but i do need a strong cuppa in a morning :)

I take my Douwe Egberts coffee as I prefer it and hubby takes his Punjana teabags We enjoy those in the morning

9PLUS
17-04-2012, 08:51
I miss nothing from the UK

Balcony
17-04-2012, 08:52
My wife also takes a few teabags when we go to Tenerife and we also take some coffee. The coffee is mainly for morinings just after waking. Thankfully several places make good coffee when we're out and about!

Simon-M
17-04-2012, 08:55
Seeing as ALL the supermarkets do English products and we have 3 Iceland shops that do all the other bits too, there is nothing to miss.

Vortex Wake
17-04-2012, 08:57
Pile cream

macdonald5
17-04-2012, 08:59
My wife also takes a few teabags when we go to Tenerife and we also take some coffee. The coffee is mainly for morinings just after waking. Thankfully several places make good coffee when we're out and about!

I'm not to keen on straight coffee abroad as I take it black BUT a wee drop o Cointreau fairly makes it acceptable ! )

tracy hampshire
17-04-2012, 09:03
Seeing as ALL the supermarkets do English products and we have 3 Iceland shops that do all the other bits too, there is nothing to miss. yes but they are still british products, what you would get from home, the only thing i really buy here that is from the uk is t bags x

macdonald5
17-04-2012, 09:10
Seeing as ALL the supermarkets do English products and we have 3 Iceland shops that do all the other bits too, there is nothing to miss.

Yes but I have never found the only two brands of coffee and teabags us fusspots prefer Everything else we have no problems with

Balcony
17-04-2012, 09:14
Have to say, apart from small amount of tea/coffee that we take, in Tenerife we don't set out to buy English brands in supermarkets. We do like a nice jam for the toast in the morning, but more often we choose a German brand. My only other 'brands' are the odd bar of Milka chocolate, or bag of Snickers! A lot depends on what shop and the mood that takes us!

macdonald5
17-04-2012, 09:19
Have to say, apart from small amount of tea/coffee that we take, in Tenerife we don't set out to buy English brands in supermarkets. We do like a nice jam for the toast in the morning, but more often we choose a German brand. My only other 'brands' are the odd bar of Milka chocolate, or bag of Snickers! A lot depends on what shop and the mood that takes us!

Same with us................

Malteser Monkey
17-04-2012, 09:25
my anti wrinkle cream:whistle:

kingbaker
17-04-2012, 10:44
my anti wrinkle cream:whistle:

And how much extra do you have to pay for the extra case?:whistle:

Malteser Monkey
17-04-2012, 10:51
And how much extra do you have to pay for the extra case?:whistle:

I hate you ! I knew it before I even opened your post....do you have to take the mick outta someone who takes the mick out of themselves:twak::respect:

I will get you back - so beware !

Isn't it time you were off to the Bullring:cheeky::D

so what's your luxury..............

Margaretta
17-04-2012, 12:04
Used to take bacon, sausages and teabags but they are now so easy to buy in Tenerife that we don't bother. The only thing we take from home are packet refills of instant coffee (easier than a jar) as it is much cheaper in the UK especially with a 3 for 2 offer. Er...yes.....we do make 'proper coffee' too!
Hubby must have a big 'Daddies sauce' so if taking a case we pack that.

christa
17-04-2012, 12:22
Yorkshire Tea, but am very lucky that we know lots of people who go back and forth on a regular basis and are quite happy to bring a box out for us.
Theres nothing like a big mug of yorkshire tea first thing in a morning.

chifleta
17-04-2012, 16:19
I miss nothing from the UK

now now, she didn't type "what do you miss from UK", she typed "from home" :neener: ..... I miss from home (Tenerife) when I go abroad MY BED ..... LOL

bonitatime
17-04-2012, 19:37
Food from the UK would be Tea bags, marmite and occssionally low far chocolate drinks although the latter I usually buy in iceland On the odd ocasion I am there
Other than that I get Tyrocets which are a mild antibiotic throat sweet which I have yet to find an equivalent
I also get paracetol and neurofen from the UK but thats cause i'm tight like that and they are cheaper there
I am very lucky and have a stream of visitors who will bring me things.

cainaries
17-04-2012, 21:30
Food from the UK would be Tea bags, marmite and occssionally low far chocolate drinks although the latter I usually buy in iceland On the odd ocasion I am there
Other than that I get Tyrocets which are a mild antibiotic throat sweet which I have yet to find an equivalent
I also get paracetol and neurofen from the UK but thats cause i'm tight like that and they are cheaper there
I am very lucky and have a stream of visitors who will bring me things.

I was just so surprised to see you say that nurofen is cheaper in the UK. I bought 50 600mg strength ibuoprofen the other day for €1.65. Are you sure about this? Or may be it is just cheaper here on this tiny island for some obscure reason. I don't think you can buy 600mg strength ibuprofen in the UK either so you have to take 2 tablets to the Spanish one.

I simply miss Waitrose. Or, bearing in mind the actual wording of the thread ... if I leave home ... I miss OH. And my cats and dogs.

tracy hampshire
17-04-2012, 21:42
ibuprofen same price here, thats what i buy .

bonitatime
18-04-2012, 08:46
I was just so surprised to see you say that nurofen is cheaper in the UK. I bought 50 600mg strength ibuoprofen the other day for €1.65. Are you sure about this? Or may be it is just cheaper here on this tiny island for some obscure reason. I don't think you can buy 600mg strength ibuprofen in the UK either so you have to take 2 tablets to the Spanish one.

I will look into this thanks

cainaries
18-04-2012, 19:03
I will look into this thanks
Just ask for ibuprofeno ... 600mgs. Nurofen is the same stuff but much more expensive! Check the dosage level of what you've been taking as the 600s are stronger. Some nurofen from UK is only 250ms. My sister-in-law didn't bother to check and took 3 Spanish ones and fell asleep on the sofa for the rest of the day.

warbey
18-04-2012, 19:55
When We first went on Holiday We took all sorts, including Sliced Bread to last a few Days.

Now We limit Ourselves to Tea Bags and Painkillers, usually from Aldi, for virtual coppers.

bonitatime
18-04-2012, 20:29
When We first went on Holiday We took all sorts, including Sliced Bread to last a few days
I used to bring bread back from the UK before you could buy it at all here but have long not eaten UK bread.
Funny what brings back memories. There was a shop in Puerto which was then the only place you could buy UK products but it was a terrible trek from Los Gigantes.

lesbroz
18-04-2012, 20:42
Hendersons Relish (a famous local product.)

tracy hampshire
18-04-2012, 20:52
last time i went home, i brought back....... 2 barnsley chops, 2 big thick sirloin steaks, 2 gammon steaks & smoked bacon, got off the bus in puerto went to get my holdall from underneath & the driver started driving off, needless to say i chased him up the road bang in on the window until he stopped, no one but no one was getting there hands on my stash of goodies lol

Rochelle
12-01-2013, 21:18
I don't live on Tenerife but come and stay for long periods and noticed there are very few pickles or chutneys for salads or sandwiches, like there are in UK.

Maybe a gap in the market for some home made products I could sell at the markets ? f you know where to get any from let me know, I'll be back soon !!

karinagal
12-01-2013, 22:23
I don't live on Tenerife but come and stay for long periods and noticed there are very few pickles or chutneys for salads or sandwiches, like there are in UK.

Maybe a gap in the market for some home made products I could sell at the markets ? f you know where to get any from let me know, I'll be back soon !!

Depends where you shop. They sell stuff like that in my local supermarket and in Iceland in Las Chafiras...

Santiago
12-01-2013, 22:32
Depends where you shop. They sell stuff like that in my local supermarket and in Iceland in Las Chafiras...

We have found that some of the smaller supermarkets under, or next to, apartment complexes have all sorts of things you can't get in the bigger ones. For instance the one next to Santiago 2 (down the steps) has an amazing assortment of British goods as well as Spanish, German, etc., and they are all very well priced.

cainaries
12-01-2013, 23:12

OH makes our chutneys and pickles. He has perfected this almost to the point that I can't tell his homemade ones from Branston. The other day I came across a shop selling Tiptree Blackcurrant Jam and bought some. I hadn't realised I'd missed it so much. i've asked them to get me some redcurrant jelly.

slodgedad
12-01-2013, 23:33
Faggots. Luckily I can get them from Iceland...

TF1
13-01-2013, 12:29
Faggots. Luckily I can get them from Iceland...

Never ask for those if you have to go to the US ...... :lol:

primrose
13-01-2013, 12:49
OH makes our chutneys and pickles. He has perfected this almost to the point that I can't tell his homemade ones from Branston. The other day I came across a shop selling Tiptree Blackcurrant Jam and bought some. I hadn't realised I'd missed it so much. i've asked them to get me some redcurrant jelly.

You have got me craving for Tiptree Apple Jelly.:yum::yum:and if I could get Dromona Butter to go with it on Warburtons Brown Danish Bread it would be the perfect Jam Butty.

cainaries
13-01-2013, 13:58
You have got me craving for Tiptree Apple Jelly.:yum::yum:and if I could get Dromona Butter to go with it on Warburtons Brown Danish Bread it would be the perfect Jam Butty.

I've only heard of the Apple Jelly!! The shop is an independent one I think but I will check with them if they have a branch in Tenerife. They had quite a few Tiptree products including lemon curd. Bit pricey but it's had to travel a long way from Essex!

Tenerife Sun
13-01-2013, 14:37
I do bring back packets of low fat instant custard and some packet casserole mixes to throw in the slow cooker. If I lived hear Icelqnd I wouldn't need anything. Sometimes I bring back a nice lean gammon joint if I have room in my case.

primrose
13-01-2013, 15:06
I've only heard of the Apple Jelly!! The shop is an independent one I think but I will check with them if they have a branch in Tenerife. They had quite a few Tiptree products including lemon curd. Bit pricey but it's had to travel a long way from Essex!

Thank you, Dromona is butter from Northern Ireland but they used to sell it at Morrisons. I got Tiptree Lemon Curd at El Corte Ingles expensive but so good, I have a recipe for apple jelly but you have to do the apples and then leave it in a sieve overnight for the juice to drip through, could you imagine how many flies there would be.

BoPeep
13-01-2013, 15:18
I bring the cat back Felix treats!

Even our local wild cat will come within six feet of you for a Felix treat....forget it for anything else!

cainaries
13-01-2013, 22:28

Even our local wild cat will come within six feet of you for a Felix treat....forget it for anything else!

That's quite funny ... you're not bringing anything for yourself, just for the wild cats?

slodgedad
14-01-2013, 01:39

You can buy Felix cat treats here

BoPeep
14-01-2013, 11:05
No, we dont bring anything as we can find all we want here.....if Tescos have their t bags on offer I sometimes bring them because I have room in my bag and they are sooo much cheaper than over here!

The odd things...like jelly in cube form and Birds custard powder I have to go to Iceland for but apart from them we live on the local Mercadona and Lidl!