PDA

View Full Version : Relocation What, if anything, should I bring from the UK to Tenerife?

Hip_Hop
19-04-2012, 02:14
Hi all,

am shortly moving to Tenerife as I have been offered a job and accommodation (free for first for 2 months), in Los Cristianos.

Please can anyone advise if there are certain things that are considerably more expensive in Tenerife or simply non existent that I should bring with me from UK? Obviously once I get there it will be too late unless I order online.

For example are Gillette Mach 3 razor blades (4 blades £5.99) available and cheaper in Tenerife?

Hermesetas sweetners? (1200 £4.40)

Carte Noire instant coffee? 200gr £6.84

Mosquitoe repellent? Have bought some from boots- Repel Once with Deet 125 ml £6.93

Sun cream -Garnier Amber Solaire SPF 30 200ml £6.30

HC45 cream 15g £3.85

I know it might be an how long is a piece of string question but I started this thread as I am sure it would be quite helpful for others coming over.
It is helpful to know if certain things are cheaper or more readily available in the UK prior to departing? Especially, if like myself, they have not had the opportunity prior to arriving, of knowing what items are or are not, readily accessible and more cost effectively available in Tenerife.

I do appreciate that the Supermarkets in tourist catchment areas will obviously reflect increased prices and that local produce and Spanish brands will be more cost effective.
Thanks in advance and look forward to paying my taxes, learning the language and looking outside of the tourist spots for the real Tenerife and culture. Also looking forward to joining the community on here and making new friends.

Think I have covered all bases?

Hip_Hop

kathml
19-04-2012, 07:19
Enough money to survive or return if job doesn't work out

finca18jrl
19-04-2012, 07:52
Marmite! Much cheaper in UK. ,sLast week I had a massive jar taken from me at Security in the airport as I had it in my hand luggage. Was not happy.

Roadkingrider
19-04-2012, 09:06
Sorry to be negative - I wish you luck - but I'd bring a return ticket the way things are out here, and have been for a while. Los C is great, but my advice would be live somewhere Canarian, don't just live with the ex-Pats and don't listen to so-called, self-acclaimed experts (usually propping up the bar), who usually know nothing when you look into things.

Hip_Hop
19-04-2012, 12:05
Enough money to survive or return if job doesn't work out
Sound advice for any potential new arrival.

I am committed to giving it 100% But I know commitment alone may not suffice. So, if the business model is flawed or there is no demand for my skill set or the products/services on offer than I will be going back to the UK and will take all the positives from my experiences. Simples! It's all been factored into my plan.

Any suggestions Kathml on What if anything , should I bring from UK?

Marmite! Much cheaper in UK. ,sLast week I had a massive jar taken from me at Security in the airport as I had it in my hand luggage. Was not happy.

Thanks finca18jrl. Marmite. I'm in the hate group but all that aside, the liquid issue of what you can or can't take in hand luggage, how much of it you can take and how it should be packaged and presented as you go through security, is definitely worth reading up on, by all prior to departure. How many jars of Marmite, soft drinks, toothpaste, perfumes, cosmetics are confiscated as a consequence of people being tripped up by this security measure? (Don't answer that, want to stay on topic,LOL)

Sorry to be negative - I wish you luck - but I'd bring a return ticket the way things are out here, and have been for a while. Los C is great, but my advice would be live somewhere Canarian, don't just live with the ex-Pats and don't listen to so-called, self-acclaimed experts (usually propping up the bar), who usually know nothing when you look into things.

Thanks Roadkingrider. Your naturally assumed concerns are duly noted.
For the purpose of keeping this thread on topic, let's assume that everyone knows that the Tenerifian economy is not as robust as it was in previous years and that disposable income has contracted.
Equally, let's take it for granted there will always be those spouting nonsense parading as knowledge, or that there will be those coming to the island who are unrealistic of what is or isn't realistic on what is required to survive on the island.
There are plenty of threads that deal with the negative impact of the severe European economic downturn on the island but very few on the subject of this thread.
So let's adopt the latin saying Caveat Emptor or in plain English, Let the buyer beware. That way the thread of What if anything, should I bring from Uk stays on topic.

Thanks Hip_Hop

Malteser Monkey
19-04-2012, 13:19
your passport:D:goodluck:

tina ann
19-04-2012, 13:28
teabags beans business cards if needed, like my husband who has wide feet he gets his shoes when visiting UK as the sizes here are no good and if over 11/12 you will struggle (you will get taxed by customs here if you order from vistaprint or try to order anything from outside the canaries. etc etc

But apart from that we have some good shops here, especially in santa cruz and La laguna, so I wouldnt worry to much!

Hip_Hop
19-04-2012, 14:08
Hi all,

For example are Gillette Mach 3 razor blades (4 blades £5.99) available and cheaper in Tenerife?

Mosquitoe repellent? Have bought some from boots- Repel Once with Deet 125 ml £6.93

HC45 cream 15g £3.85

Can anyone advise or offer average prices for the above in Tenerife or if they are not available? I am desperate to know if my beloved Carte Noire (Instant), is readily available in Tenerife or do I need to stock up before arriving?

In keeping with the thread. I have 7.5 kilo dumbbells that are not practicable for taking with me from UK. Are they available in Tenerife and how much? I know I can go to the gym, but I am a private individual.

Malteser Monkey
19-04-2012, 14:12
Can anyone advise or offer average prices for the above in Tenerife or if they are not available? I am desperate to know if my beloved Carte Noire (Instant), is readily available in Tenerife or do I need to stock up before arriving?

Once you have tasted the local coffee and a nice baraquito or carajillo you won't remember what Carte Noire is :D:crazy::coffee:

tina ann
19-04-2012, 17:44
Once you have tasted the local coffee and a nice baraquito or carajillo you won't remember what Carte Noire is :D:crazy::coffee:

I agree, for one Ive never paid more than 2.50 for coffee but know i cant stand the instant stuff, just go to the spanish cafe and have a great cafe con leche and those baraquito's, muy bien!

If you really want those items, you will get them cheaper in the UK. We do have Iceland that sells British brands, but they are always more expensive, so the easy answer to your question is get it before you come or you will pay alot more here for them.

Hip_Hop
19-04-2012, 18:18
I agree, for one Ive never paid more than 2.50 for coffee but know i cant stand the instant stuff, just go to the spanish cafe and have a great cafe con leche and those baraquito's, muy bien!

If you really want those items, you will get them cheaper in the UK. We do have Iceland that sells British brands, but they are always more expensive, so the easy answer to your question is get it before you come or you will pay alot more here for them.

Thanks Tina Ann. Carte Noir is supposedly aimed at the higher spend bracket so it will never be found at Iceland in the UK, don't know about Tenerife Iceland? I only need to wake up to it and to have it in hand at the apartment. As I am on my own, instant is convenient and Carte Noire quite distinctively strong. Usually when out, I drink 10 Cappuccinos (soya) a day, so will get my caffeine fix from the local establishments once I have located them.

marbro8
19-04-2012, 20:02
take some greggs steak bakes over the ex pats will do anything for them,well sunspot will lol:D:cheeky: only joking sunspot if your watching:wink2:

tina ann
20-04-2012, 16:52
And if you are near to Stoke can you bring some Wright Pies & Potteries Oatcakes

Hip_Hop
20-04-2012, 17:18
And if you are near to Stoke can you bring some Wright Pies & Potteries Oatcakes

London I'm afraid but others may be in a position to assist.

Still no guidance on my original request for info on price comparison and availability? Does lack of response indicate that Mach 3 razor blades and other things I originally listed etc are not available in Tenerife for comparison?

bonitatime
20-04-2012, 17:53
I don't shop so can't comment on prices. Hermasetas are available here and so are the razor blades
Mosquito repelant will be available but possibly not that make. The cream I don't know but if it something you sepcifically like I would at least to start with bring it with you

No idea about the coffe as I don't drink coffee at home and wouldn't drink instant if I did. The sun cream strikes me as cheap so again I would start with some of that from home.
Hope this helps although I didn't know much

poshbird22
20-04-2012, 20:41
Paracetamol,tea bags, sweeteners are cheaper in Mercadona and taste the same. MONEY!!!! to tide you over..... good luck in your venture. We have been here 9 months, spent lots of money getting started but all worth it. A lovely place to live, friendly people and lots to see and do. x

cheery
21-04-2012, 08:10
And if you are near to Stoke can you bring some Wright Pies & Potteries OatcakesTry and find a company called Tenerife Catering. They import fish and chip products from the company I used to work for.

MarionEd
21-04-2012, 11:43
A potato masher if you plan to cook. Was given this tip by a friend and she was right. Haven't ever seen one in Tenerife.

Standing by now for the deluge if people saying their local shop has them. Lol

tfs1
21-04-2012, 12:36
Potato mashers are on sale in large Chinese shop in Los Cristianos opposite the bus station - but they are rubbish and bend far too easily ! Bring a good one one from the UK and enjoy perfect mash spuds.

Chris

Loaded
21-04-2012, 12:48
Also sell them in pino

Suej
21-04-2012, 13:14
Hi all,

am shortly moving to Tenerife as I have been offered a job and accommodation (free for first for 2 months), in Los Cristianos.

Please can anyone advise if there are certain things that are considerably more expensive in Tenerife or simply non existent that I should bring with me from UK? Obviously once I get there it will be too late unless I order online.

HC45 cream 15g £3.85

I know it might be an how long is a piece of string question but I started this thread as I am sure it would be quite helpful for others coming over.
It is helpful to know if certain things are cheaper or more readily available in the UK prior to departing? Especially, if like myself, they have not had the opportunity prior to arriving, of knowing what items are or are not, readily accessible and more cost effectively available in Tenerife.

I do appreciate that the Supermarkets in tourist catchment areas will obviously reflect increased prices and that local produce and Spanish brands will be more cost effective.
Thanks in advance and look forward to paying my taxes, learning the language and looking outside of the tourist spots for the real Tenerife and culture. Also looking forward to joining the community on here and making new friends.

Think I have covered all bases?

Hip_Hop

Bring all your favourite products! Whatever you buy British here will cost a lot more! When you run out you will just need to compromise and buy the Spanish equivalent! Gillette Mach Razor blades are more expensive here! Mercadona do a sweetener which is excellent! not the real saccharin tasting stuff! it's called Aspartamo (in the red topped dispenser it's very cheap too!

emmess
21-04-2012, 20:29
My tip would be to have a look online now - at the shops where they have online shopping. for example www.mercadona.es is excellent - you can search for things (and book a delivery if you want) either by product or by brand. This could give you a good guide as to costs and availability.

My advice would be trial and error on the spanish brands - they're bound to be cheaper and could be just as good. For example, I have now found a brilliant spanish suncream - much cheaper than buying british brands and a really good product.

chifleta
21-04-2012, 20:52
In keeping with the thread. I have 7.5 kilo dumbbells that are not practicable for taking with me from UK. Are they available in Tenerife and how much? I know I can go to the gym, but I am a private individual.

Don't know about the other bits n bobs, but you can get dumbbells here:
http://www.intersport.es/productos/fitness/complementos?page=1
(ok might get in to trouble for posting a link hmmmm)
or here:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/Floggit/
or the wanted site that's the same admins as floggit.......

Hip_Hop
21-04-2012, 21:19
My tip would be to have a look online now - at the shops where they have online shopping. for example www.mercadona.es is excellent - you can search for things (and book a delivery if you want) either by product or by brand. This could give you a good guide as to costs and availability.

My advice would be trial and error on the spanish brands - they're bound to be cheaper and could be just as good. For example, I have now found a brilliant spanish suncream - much cheaper than buying british brands and a really good product.

Thanks Emmess. An excellent suggestion but am I correct in thinking that Mercadona on line wont give you access to peruse their goods without you first having to give them your passport number as I am still in the UK? Is this the only way to see their site even if you have no intention to purchase?

Or is this simply the bureaucratic Spanish way of doing business ?

irishmusico
21-04-2012, 21:25
Mach 3 razor blades are 11 euro for 5.So the wife tells me:o

Hip_Hop
21-04-2012, 21:43
Mach 3 razor blades are 11 euro for 5.So the wife tells me:o
Thanks Irishmusico, appreciate the info.
FYI Just checked Sainsbury's online and the price is £1.75 per razor, so taking E1.20 to the pound that's E10.5 for 5 as opposed to the E11 your wife is getting them for. 50 cents differential doesn't appear to be excessive so that's one less thing to worry about.....

jet2
21-04-2012, 23:12
Are there any positive comments or success stories out there aout the wonderful island that is Tenerife

Hip_Hop
21-04-2012, 23:59
Are there any positive comments or success stories out there aout the wonderful island that is Tenerife

I'm sure there are, but instead of hijacking another's thread why not start your own so that this thread can stay on topic.

Hip_Hop
22-04-2012, 19:00
im gobsmaked that anyone would bring instant coffee to tenerife . it up on my top ten reason to live here the cheap oil coffee .

Initially I will be arriving on my own in Tenerife. As far as instant goes, Carte Noire is up there as a very palatable alternative to the fresh, cheap quality coffee that I am sure I will be able to secure once I get to the island.
myself, as a single person needs a coffee instantly on waking, this is, initially, my first choice "cup" of convenience before venturing out to sample the delights of the local coffee establishments, wherever that may be. It is not, and was never suggested that I was looking to replace excellent examples of quality coffee on offer locally with an instant coffee option. But I thank you Satellite for your Bon Humour and do hope that your "gobsmacked" symptoms improve soon! ( You know I jest of course...Don't you?)

maybe the € euro symbol on your computer :whistle:

If my UK Logitech keyboard had one Satellite don't you think I would have used it, you tease you. {Rhetorical}

get mine from china shop called LEA has AMERICAN BLADES in em best razors i have every used cost €1.25 for 5 !!!!

Does anyone else recommend these as a viable alternative to the Gillette Mach 3 options or should I buy copius amounts of Witch Hazel to counter the cuts! But do appreciate that the cuts will be cheaper cuts......LOL

anyone who weekly shops at mercadona has got to much money ...the prices !!
weekly lidls / la hucha monthly carrefour / alcampo

I hope I am in a position to have too much money and to have that choice. Ordinarily I am not a lidls shopper in London . I believe you do tend to get what you pay for, (generalisation I know) from budget shopping options.
I do appreciate that they do offer Lidls and other comparative brand matching options on offer for those looking to make savings, but on the 2 occasions I have looked in on a Lidls or Aldis in the UK I came across meat which was labelled mechanically retrieved and from more than one source? And reformed in some cases? A compromise too far for me but, all power to your elbow Satellite if that kind of shopping choice rocks your boat.
I personally would prefer a more upmarket Spanish choice if nothing else was available, wherever possible.

Anyway I feel the love that exudes from the forum and am looking forward to getting more involved with the community in Tenerife both locally and exPat

chifleta
22-04-2012, 19:25
Initially I will be arriving on my own in Tenerife. As far as instant goes, Carte Noire is up there as a very palatable alternative to the fresh, cheap quality coffee that I am sure I will be able to secure once I get to the island.
myself, as a single person needs a coffee instantly on waking, this is, initially, my first choice of convenience before venturing out to sample the delights of the local coffee establishments, wherever that may be. It is not, and was never suggested that I was looking to replace excellent examples of quality coffee on offer locally with an instant coffee option. But I thank you Satellite for your Bon Humour and do hope that your "gobsmacked" symptoms improve soon! ( You know I jest of course).

If my UK Logitech keyboard had one Satellite don't you think I would have used it, you tease you. {Rhetorical}

Does anyone else recommend these as a viable alternative to the Gillette Mach 3 options or should I buy copius amounts of Witch Hazel to counter the cuts!

I hope I am in a position to have too much money and to have that choice, as ordinarily I am not a lidls shopper in London . I believe You do tend to get what you pay for (generalisation I know) from budget shopping options. I do appreciate that they do offer other Lidls or comparative other brand options on offer for those looking to make savings, but on the 2 occasions I have looked in one the fact that their meat is labelled mechanically retrieved and is reformed in most cases tends to suggest that it is a compromise too far for me, but all power to your elbow Satellite if that kind of shopping choice rocks your boat. I would prefer a more upmarket Spanish choice where possible.

Any way I feel the love that exudes from the forum and am looking forward to getting more involved with the community in Tenerife both locally and exPat

chortle chortle :laugh: a cheeky/sarcastic sense of humour.... I like it :wave:

I occassionally shop at Lidls to satisfy OH's curiosity (milk and mini pizzas cheaper), then basically buy what I really want from Mercadona every week, I get 2 or 3 items (ok i go in for 2 or 3 items and end up always spending 25€) from Iceland (though this is only recently because my Spanglish son prefers English bread now), and all my pre-chopped frozen veggies from 5 Oceanos (frozen food shop), which has saved me loads of money (if you don't use fresh fruit n veg up quick enough it goes off pretty quick here). Anyways, Mercadona is not that expensive, and the way I look at it, it's only expensive if you don't make use of what you buy. I understand how you feel about certain items you use, i'm the same with the toilet paper I buy LOL what can I say!

Anyhoo, good luck with the move over here, keep positive (if you can amidst this grumpy lot :whistle:)

<<<<<<< ducking now :dontknow::twak::raspberry2:

ps personally I wouldn't order online with Mercadona - I used to a few years ago, but they kept bringing any meat I ordered to near it's use by date grrr - so I prefer to just go armed with my list and whizz round as quick as poss without trolley raging anyone.

Hip_Hop
22-04-2012, 20:03
Thank you chifleta I do like to raise a smile if I can.
Life is short, and for however long I am on the island I will do my best to enjoy it both culturally and experientially. I am not in competition with anyone nor am I looking to undermine anyone with sound knowledge and advice. I know for all my intelligence and knowledge that I will be initially out of my comfort zone on arriving in Tenerife but with straight talking individuals like yourself and other helpful positive souls like Satellite etc? I will be in good company.

emmess
22-04-2012, 20:20
Thanks Emmess. An excellent suggestion but am I correct in thinking that Mercadona on line wont give you access to peruse their goods without you first having to give them your passport number as I am still in the UK? Is this the only way to see their site even if you have no intention to purchase?

Or is this simply the bureaucratic Spanish way of doing business ?

I registered with my NIE number - but just used by UK National Insurance number

im gobsmaked that anyone would bring instant coffee to tenerife . it up on my top ten reason to live here the cheap oil coffee .

maybe the € euro symbol on your computer :whistle:

Added after 9 minutes:

it is the most wonderful island i know, i love the people in the village i love the mountains the plants the flowers in my garden .the beachs the all year sun the long winter days , the low crime , the smiles from the children , and the fact that i am allowed to live and work here

Added after 2 minutes:

get mine from china shop called LEA has AMERICAN BLADES in em best razors i have every used cost €1.25 for 5 !!!!

Added after 12 minutes:

anyone who weekly shops at mercadona has got to much money ...the prices !!
weekly lidls / la hucha monthly carrefour / alcampo

Didn't suggest that the OP continued shopping at Mercadona - but it's one of the only Spanish supermarkets where you can shop, and therefore see the prices, online. Having said that, I do always do a Mercadona shop online before we arrive in Tenerife. I'd rather spend a few quid more than have the hassle of taking the kids round the supermarket - plus, they spend more!!

9PLUS
22-04-2012, 20:21
A sense of humor

chifleta
22-04-2012, 20:39
sorry i mean us people who live here ... those on holiday or retired use mercadona as its easy and has a large range . me i ony buy the irish cheese and dog biskits there ...

I live here.... and I shop at Mercadona.... !!! oh, and i'm not rich.... Mercadona is definately cheaper than local village shopping.

Hip_Hop
22-04-2012, 21:12
You must provide ID i.e. your passport if requested by a Police Officer. The Police have the right to hold you at a police station until your identity is confirmed.

I fully appreciate that Satellite but was surprised that just to look on a website it required such stringent entry qualifications like Passport or NIE.

What do they think you will do with virtual soap spotted on their website, illegal smuggling? I joke of course. There's no comparison between an officer of the law establishing your identity and a Supermarket requiring valid ID proof before allowing you access, that's all I am commenting on.
Obviously when in Rome do as the Romans do, which of course I will but in the interim just offering a non Tenerifian viewpoint.

Hip_Hop
22-04-2012, 21:42
fraud in shops is very low here , which keeps the cost down on the goods you buy ... crime is very low here . i dont even have a lock on my back door. and i leave the front door key on the top when i go out . i know no one in my village who has been ´´robbed ´´ in their house in the 12 years i have been here . the local police staion here shuts at 11pm until 6am and two guadia civil patrol the town of 26.000 people,BUT they have a lot of powers, carry sub machine guns in the car boot and can just seize your car if you not got your ID or licence on you and make you walk home

As I have mentioned previously, no problem with an officer of the law asking for proof of identity but how does a supermarket justify wanting such personal details just to have a look at the price of cereal on their website?

Hip_Hop
22-04-2012, 22:02
i have told you why - by using ID companies and the state can keep down crime .

No Satellite, you haven't told me why Supermarkets require personal identification to simply look up the price of a product. You did explain why in general ID is required in order to lower theft and the proceeds of crime in general but not why in the example I gave of just looking but not purchasing.

I do appreciate that you don't know logically why supermarkets require ID if you are not purchasing goods from their sites but, also appreciate not knowing why,may cause some individuals to feel uncomfortable when such logic is questioned. So I will just accede that you don't know and take it as a peculiarity of the system and nothing more personal than that.

chifleta
22-04-2012, 22:06
my post said
weekly lidls / la hucha
monthly carrefour / alcampo

but my local shops are LOTS cheaper then the supermarcardos for BREAD,EGGS,bananas,potatoes,chickens,tomatoes.oran ges cos they grow em them self and barter em to the shops for other goods...5 bananas cost me 50c .i know the oranges are fresh cos they are in the field next door and i see em pick em and take them into the shop....

my food bill is half what it was when i shopped just at mercadona ..
i dont remember much on prices but i know that the shower cleaning spray was something like 1.50 in mercadona and was 0.78 in alcampo...

are you in the North?

Hip_Hop
22-04-2012, 22:33
i have told you it twice - the fact is in your world you find it strange - that is where you live - here the system is not the same as yours - the people who own the place - the spanish like having low crime and allow the state more control over their lives .. the tourist areas tend to be left out of this as they want the money from them .

So you don't know the rationale behind why ID is required just to look. Fair enough.

chifleta
22-04-2012, 22:54
yes i am in ´´spanish ´´ tenerfie :welcome:
you can buy a 3 bed flat here for €40k

funny, I thought the whole of Tenerife was Spanish... my bad......

prices are higher in the local shops here in the South, and I don't live in a touristic area.

you must live up the hills if you can get a 3-bed flat for 40K .... donde vives? en Las Chumberas? LOL

Anyhoo, can't be bothered arguing the toss with you Satellite, i cede to your superior knowledge, as this is starting to sound a bit like the "who will have the last word" thread, which i've never bothered commenting on.

Hip_Hop, like I said before, think positive.. I like to keep a smile on my face, and it seems to work for me, I keep myself to myself, except commenting on here when I fancy a bit of banter, to see what's happening with the Brits. There has been a lot of good advice given on this forum, and a few of us have been lucky and seem to have a damn good life over here, it's a beautiful island, you just have to go with the flow, learn a bit of (ok a lot) of patience for the systems that are up and running, go by their rules and regulations, and work hard and enjoy your free time to the max ... oh an think positive, did I mention that? LOL

Sorry hardly any of us could help with the prices of the goodies you initially posted about :laugh:

Hip_Hop
22-04-2012, 23:12
its a secure site tied to payment via an ssl site . normally on windows it comes up with ´´you are entering a secure site,but you like most ppl switch off that msg so you dont know when you are . in england the ´bank´that runs the payment section will keep details of your ISP address against any future fraud .in spain the law requires that ID details are produced at EVERY stage of a secure site.
treat it like you are entering a shop ´´to look´´ do ou expect the secuity guards to go ignore you just because you are ´´looking´´ . THEY dont know your ´´just looking´´

if you want to live in spain you need to get used to being controlled a bit more and for the state to know more about what you are up to ....

Thank you Satellite. Explained clearly and logically.

Added after 2 Hours 34 minutes:

Hip_Hop, like I said before, think positive.. I like to keep a smile on my face, and it seems to work for me, I keep myself to myself, except commenting on here when I fancy a bit of banter, to see what's happening with the Brits. There has been a lot of good advice given on this forum, and a few of us have been lucky and seem to have a damn good life over here, it's a beautiful island, you just have to go with the flow, learn a bit of (ok a lot) of patience for the systems that are up and running, go by their rules and regulations, and work hard and enjoy your free time to the max ... oh an think positive, did I mention that? LOL

Thank you Chifleta.

I am a positive hard working cynical optimist by nature.

I built up my own successful Legal recruitment business back in the UK, had the big house with the swimming pool, the Porsche and Jag on the driveway. All done with the right attitude and application through 3 severe recessions.
Do I need to prove anything to myself or others anymore?

Of course I do.

Every day is a new challenge just waiting for a solution to be applied.

Am happy to awake to a glorious bright blue sky, a pretty flower, an even prettier smile on a face young or old.
Happiest with the simpler things in life like, Carte Noire Instant coffee 1st thing in the morning! LOL.

Seriously though, I have taken charge of my life by stopping smoking 3 years ago, gone raw vegetarian last year and reduced from 98 kilos to 78 kilos and reversed my diabetes and raised cholesterol from needing medication for both, to being medication free. All done in the last 36 months. So yes I know all about positive actions and embedding positive change in one's life.

I don't just wear the Tshirt, I live the methodology no matter where my hat is. But preach, I do not do. Share..ah, that's a different thing. Inspire? I can only but try as others have done for me. And that is why the opportunity to work and play in Tenerife is so appealing to me.

Looking forward to seeing the marine life, having the very occasional glass of wine or beer (and I mean occasional). Seeing the real Tenerife and of course learning that not everything needs to have a logical reason for being. So, will try to switch to thinking the Tenerifian way so that I benefit from all that is on offer from the island without worrying about the invasion of privacy that has now been so eloquently explained by Satellite.

Obviously want to learn the language basics quickly and just taking every day as as the perfect excuse to embrace the opportunities to be the best I can be.

And no I have left my money in the UK because I want the raw challenge of starting from scratch here. That's the challenge I have set myself!

Anyway that's enough about me.

Thank you Chifleta for your positive encouragement and I will do my best to make a real difference to those I am fortunate enough to meet or bump in to on the forum/island.

Hip_Hop

Sorry hardly any of us could help with the prices of the goodies you initially posted about :laugh:

Thank you for bringing the thread back on topic.

chifleta
23-04-2012, 12:59
Thank you Chifleta.

I am a positive hard working cynical optimist by nature.

I built up my own successful Legal recruitment business back in the UK, had the big house with the swimming pool, the Porsche and Jag on the driveway. All done with the right attitude and application through 3 severe recessions.
Do I need to prove anything to myself or others anymore?

Of course I do.

Every day is a new challenge just waiting for a solution to be applied.

Am happy to awake to a glorious bright blue sky, a pretty flower, an even prettier smile on a face young or old.
Happiest with the simpler things in life like, Carte Noire Instant coffee 1st thing in the morning! LOL.

Seriously though, I have taken charge of my life by stopping smoking 3 years ago, gone raw vegetarian last year and reduced from 98 kilos to 78 kilos and reversed my diabetes and raised cholesterol from needing medication for both, to being medication free. All done in the last 36 months. So yes I know all about positive actions and embedding positive change in one's life.

I don't just wear the Tshirt, I live the methodology no matter where my hat is. But preach, I do not do. Share..ah, that's a different thing. Inspire? I can only but try as others have done for me. And that is why the opportunity to work and play in Tenerife is so appealing to me.

Looking forward to seeing the marine life, having the very occasional glass of wine or beer (and I mean occasional). Seeing the real Tenerife and of course learning that not everything needs to have a logical reason for being. So, will try to switch to thinking the Tenerifian way so that I benefit from all that is on offer from the island without worrying about the invasion of privacy that has now been so eloquently explained by Satellite.

Obviously want to learn the language basics quickly and just taking every day as as the perfect excuse to embrace the opportunities to be the best I can be.

And no I have left my money in the UK because I want the raw challenge of starting from scratch here. That's the challenge I have set myself!

Anyway that's enough about me.

Thank you Chifleta for your positive encouragement and I will do my best to make a real difference to those I am fortunate enough to meet or bump in to on the forum/island.

Hip_Hop

Thank you for bringing the thread back on topic.

Positive cynical optimist LOL sounds a bit like me, I trust no-one but live in the hope that they won't let me down hahaha - i've lived here a long time... but I still love it, i think people need to learn for themselves how to make a go of it, and it sounds like you know exactly what you want and are gonna do your best to achieve. I'm too lazy to really "go for it" in the business world, don't want to work that many hours thanks, i'll leave that to my prodigal brother, so i'm happy being housewifey for the time being.

I had to laugh what you wrote .... I gave up alchohol the day after my 23rd birthday over here (for 6 years totally, and only occassionally drink now), that was 20 years ago. I gave up a 30 a day ciggie habit 5 years ago, cold turkey. Just under 3 years ago I decided my health was going to suffer if I carried on putting on weight, so I rang my mummy and said come on over with your Weight Watchers books and get me started. I was 106.7 kilos, i'm now a gym freak and weigh 67.7 Kilos, and i've got only 3.7kg left to lose (the nasty frustrating bit), i'm as fit as i've ever been. I've learnt not to let people upset me any more, it's a case of "if you can't/won't do anything about it, well get over it" . So well done to you on the weight loss, and especially reducing cholesterol and diabetes, that's great (my dads hoping to do the same, it's a slow trip, but he's getting there). I know what you mean about preaching, i'm the same, if people are interested i'll chat about it, if not, well i'll keep schtum :spin:

Find a very Canarian village to live in, mingle with the locals, learn how to ask for a coffee how you like it (hahahaha), you'll learn Spanish quicker.

Ooops, off thread again LOL

bonitatime
23-04-2012, 20:37
So you don't know the rationale behind why ID is required just to look. Fair enough.

Your ID number is required for nearly every transaction here.

Hip_Hop
23-04-2012, 20:51
Your ID number is required for nearly every transaction here.

I hadn't fully appreciated previously how all pervading the need to prove who you are was, in nearly all situations.
As Satellite has explained, the reasons why are not necessarily that important. Basically you can't move in any direction, without showing or sharing ID info for any activity including browsing.
It was always going to appear on the face of it, illogical for the likes of individual's like I, who have never been accustomed to such scrutiny for perusing the equivalent of Amazon or Sainbury's online in the UK.
Anyway, will adapt my expectations accordingly and will obviously be the model ExPat citizen on arrival......Promise.