PDA

View Full Version : Are laptop computers cheaper in Tenerife than in Ireland?

bern
12-06-2011, 19:52
Hi everyone,
Im going back in July to tenerife for a few weeks. We are gradually moving there, however, if I buy a Laptop there can I use it back in Ireland as well? What prices are laptops? Dont know whewther to buy one in Ireland or over there? Any help?

bern

Jackie
12-06-2011, 19:58
I don't know about the prices in Ireland but in the UK Laptops are a lot cheaper than here. The ones we bought for our kids last year cost 480 pounds each in the UK, here they wanted 750 Euros. Have heard other people say the same thing. It doesn't matter where you buy it you can use it anywhere.

sleepy
12-06-2011, 21:05
Hi everyone,
Im going back in July to tenerife for a few weeks. We are gradually moving there, however, if I buy a Laptop there can I use it back in Ireland as well? What prices are laptops? Dont know whewther to buy one in Ireland or over there? Any help?

bern

Don't forget also that if you purchase one in Tenerife it will have a Spanish keyboard and Spanish Windows software installed.

cainaries
12-06-2011, 23:05
Watch out for the plugs. A Canarian power surge can blow a UK plug as I have discovered.

timmylish
13-06-2011, 02:09
The straightforward answer is definitely, NO. We looked recently and ended up with a great deal from Amazon.

Airazz
13-06-2011, 05:48
Watch out for the plugs. A Canarian power surge can blow a UK plug as I have discovered.

What? Why? What's the difference between UK laptop power supplies and the ones sold in Tenerife?

cainaries
13-06-2011, 06:21
What? Why? What's the difference between UK laptop power supplies and the ones sold in Tenerife?

I don't know the answer to your question but I thought my whole laptop had died. A friend with a more logical approach to life replaced the power lead and it's fine again. We live in an old house with rather ancient wiring, it is true. Most complexes in Tenerife are probably far better protected against power cuts/power surges. My friend checked the plug and found the fuse had blown inside it.

Also very wise to unplug laptops and routers completely during storms. Including from the telephone system.

Airazz
13-06-2011, 06:30
Well, that's a problem of the house, not the power supply of the laptop. In fact, power supplies are identical in most countries in the world, the only difference is the plug itself, i.e. two round pins or three rectangular ones.

As for storms, that's definitely true. Unplugging the internet cable will protect from unlikely, but not impossible lightning hit.

Michael
13-06-2011, 09:59
Hi everyone,

bern

I bought an Acer 5336 for €399 in San Juan last December. The price inc transfering all information from my existing. It does have a Spanish key board but has a £ sign and is no problem.

mhtenerife
13-06-2011, 10:09
I bought a new Acer 5736 about 3 weeks ago for €379 included in the price was changing langauge over to English, (€35)
from the electrical shop next to Afortunadas in Las Chafiras.

Airazz
13-06-2011, 10:18
I bought an Acer 5336 for €399 in San Juan last December. The price inc transfering all information from my existing. It does have a Spanish key board but has a £ sign and is no problem.

At the moment it's £280 at Amazon, free delivery in UK. Also, I would advise to choose other brands, Acers tend to fail relatively often, compared to other brands. Their build quality is not the best either. Acers are one of the cheapest for a reason.

Good idea is to look for a business class laptop, they usually have much better customer services (in case something happens) and overall build quality is better than budget class laptops. Brands to look at would be Toshiba, Asus, Sony or Dell. Make sure that you get Windows 7 with it, as Vista is noticeably worse and it would cost you an additional £100 or so to reinstall the operating system legally.

Vortex Wake
13-06-2011, 10:19
I bought a new Acer 5736 about 3 weeks ago for €379 included in the price was changing langauge over to English, (€35)
from the electrical shop next to Afortunadas in Las Chafiras.

Sounds good, but don't forget that many brands like Acer have a suffix to the model number denoting ram/hard disc/processor speed etc. So price comparison can be a bit more involved.

mhtenerife
13-06-2011, 10:50
At the moment it's £280 at Amazon, free delivery in UK. Also, I would advise to choose other brands, Acers tend to fail relatively often, compared to other brands. Their build quality is not the best either. Acers are one of the cheapest for a reason.

Good idea is to look for a business class laptop, they usually have much better customer services (in case something happens) and overall build quality is better than budget class laptops. Brands to look at would be Toshiba, Asus, Sony or Dell. Make sure that you get Windows 7 with it, as Vista is noticeably worse and it would cost you an additional £100 or so to reinstall the operating system legally.

Had my last Acer laptop for 6 years still works just wanted to update, only problems in that time a few viruses and a clean as was overheating but fine now.

Don't know what the ram is but am happy with it, don't understand all the technical stuff, much bigger memory than my last one and faster, for what i use it for it's fine.

markcuk
13-06-2011, 11:27
acer laptops are much better than say 3 years a go. plus they sell so many of the damn things there is always going to be more reports of things going wrong with them.

Suej
13-06-2011, 11:34
Had my last Acer laptop for 6 years still works just wanted to update, only problems in that time a few viruses and a clean as was overheating but fine now.

Don't know what the ram is but am happy with it, don't understand all the technical stuff, much bigger memory than my last one and faster, for what i use it for it's fine.

My Acer laptop also overheated but once the fan and fan sink were cleaned out it´s fine, 5 years on and it´s on everyday all day! Ikea and many stores use Acer computers so they can´t be that bad. Buying one here will be more expensive my new Acer laptop was 150 pounds cheaper in UK than anywhere I could find here.

The pc guy that fixed my old Acer says he gets more problems with HP than Acer, he did say he thought the Sony´s were great!

markcuk
13-06-2011, 11:36
acer also make the emachine laptops you see in places like pcworld staples etc...

Airazz
13-06-2011, 11:46
Reports are shown with results in percentages. Asus or Toshiba laptops have almost 40% lower chance of failure within the first three years than Acer, Gateway or HP, which are at the bottom of most such tests. Fun fact: 1 in 6 HP laptops will fail within 2 years and 1 in 4 will fail in the following one year. Acer have slightly higher reliability but just by one percent or so. And Acer are well known for very poor customer support, so everyone should put some good thought into whether it's worth risking and buying cheapest laptop and a year later losing all your data and then waiting for weeks until laptop will be fixed.

P.S. Acer also make Packard Bell and Gateway.

Vortex Wake
13-06-2011, 12:07
I repaired a Dell PC for a business friend the other day.

Electrolytic capacitors blowing on a 3 year old mother board is not good. I'd not jump at recommending Dell.

Me? 2x Sony laptops and an Acer laptop ;)

Jackie
13-06-2011, 12:10
My two kids have Acer laptops and although they wasn't the most expensive ones in the shop they certainly wasn't the cheapest either

Airazz
13-06-2011, 12:16
I don't really know what can be cheaper than Acer, really. Well, besides those strange Chinese brands, like Aplle or Sqny, these are always fun to look at :)

timmylish
13-06-2011, 17:38
As an addendum to my posting recommending Amazon. The laptop we bought was an Acer! Latest "Sandy Bridge" processor and 3 gbs of RAM. Mrs. T. does not use it every day and I will only as an emergency to my machine so, overall the deal we got was great. (incl free delivery and no vat!)

carstev
22-06-2011, 20:47
Amazon will offer free delivery to Tenerife as well so worth looking there..

penelope pitstop
22-06-2011, 22:13
If you buy one in the UK you can claim back the VAT if you have a Tenerife address.

I did this twice when I lived over there.

I recommend you take out an international extended warranty as I have twice had laptops replaced in the UK when they 'died'. They let me keep them too as when they 'died' I was in Tenerife, I just had to send a fax from a reputable company over there stating that they were beyond economical repair. I sold one telling the buyer the fault & still have the other which is kept as a spare.

Penelope Pitstop

timmylish
23-06-2011, 00:34
You do not now have to "claim" the VAT back from Amazon. They deduct it at source for goods being delivered to an address on Tenerife.

penelope pitstop
23-06-2011, 14:34
You do not now have to "claim" the VAT back from Amazon. They deduct it at source for goods being delivered to an address on Tenerife.

Thats's good to know. But if you don't buy from Amazon you can get the shop you buy it from to fill in a VAT claim back form & stamp it, they will need to see passport too.

Then you go to a special desk at the airport for them to stamp the form & you then post it off. You can claim back the VAT at the airport, but you lose more to their commission that way.