PDA

View Full Version : I encountered rudeness in the electronic shop in San Blas, Golf del Sur

Roadkingrider
19-04-2012, 16:12
Just been to buy a cheapie, interim mobile phone in San Blas - needed one quickly and only place around. Got what I wanted (just!), but cannot believe how rude the 'indian' (?) shopkeepers are there! Incredible. If they want to improve San Blas, start by getting rid of these tatty, poorly maintained junk shops run by, more often than not, very rude, poorly presented owners/staff. And by the way, the shops in question were the one on the main bottom square, opposite La Opera (I think) and Harry's - of the latter, I've spent a good deal of money topping up my mobile and internet dongle in there - was so rude today, and obviously a very unpleasant person. Regret spending money with him since I've been here. Get rid of these people - they are doing the tourism there no good whatsover.

Margaretta
19-04-2012, 16:23
So sorry that you've had bad experiences Roadkingrider. I hate rudeness and arrogance in shops but these people pay their bills so are entitled to stay.
Not making excuses but sometimes language differences can lead to misunderstandings, irritation and seeming rudeness. We have usually found the staff of these shops very helpful but have sometimes talked at cross purposes. Some nationalities too have different ideas about politeness and in some countries 'please and thank you' don't exist. I know, when you are shopping in a hurry there isn't time to research all this. Another day....another mood. Better luck next time.

Leam_Lin
19-04-2012, 16:31
You should try A1 computers in San Eugenio shopping centre, husband & wife team & extremely helpful.

Roadkingrider
19-04-2012, 16:41
Margaretta,
Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. In retail, politeness from staff should be the least a customer expects and being greeted with gruff "yes" when you enter one of these junk shops is not a great start. Restaurants in San Blas, as you say, pay their bills......see how long they would last if they ran their places along the same lines as these dreadful shops. Luckily, I won't have to go back to any of these people. While they exist and treat local customers and tourists as they do, San Blas is doomed. It's not a question of cultural differences, it's a question of manners - and indeed education. The latter, they clearly lack. All they want is your money - simple. The fact that they actually 'insult' while taking it is amazing. They deserve to go bust.

timmylish
20-04-2012, 00:24
Roadringer. If you had been on here for years you would appreciate that most members of this Forum are unwilling to call a spade a spade or, in this instance A PAKISTANI A PAKISTANI or Bangaleshi (sp)
I know full well that these shopkeepers are no more Indian than me and Mrs.T., you fail to understand the ethnic and cultural differences. Very very few Indian people would conduct themselves in this way.

slodgedad
20-04-2012, 00:35
I'm sorry you found them so rude but I am very surprised.

I use the shop you mention regularly, as I work near there, and have always found them most helpful.

glostergirl
20-04-2012, 09:35
I had used both these shops on san blas for the 11yrs I lived on the island and have got to say was always treated very well!! Harry has become a friend to most residents giving a little bit of discount on a carton of cigarettes getting things for us when he never stocked them!! The other one facing la opera those guys were always nice as well!! Personally I speak as I find I never had a problem with either shop!! Miss both of them now I living back in the UK and having to pay full price for cigarettes!!

YOUNG GOLFER
20-04-2012, 10:59
What do you mean by junk shops what do they sale.

Balcony
20-04-2012, 11:16
I know the type of shop the OP refers to and over the years we do not give them the time of day. Many of the staff harass you as you walk by and seem not to know when to give up and shut up.

Where is San Blas?

Roadkingrider
20-04-2012, 12:56
I always strive to be polite to whoever, whenever and whatever they do for a living when I meet them - be they a cleaner or a Prime Minister (yes, I did meet the PM of Malta last year). That's a Grammar education for you I suppose - so I am amazed how the attitude and rudeness of these people can be tolerated, even almost welcomed, by some postees on this site. Everyone has bad days granted, but I would challenge any 'fly-on-the-wall' documentary makers out there to go in to these 'establishments' and see how they really operate, sell and speak to would-be customers. That, of course, would be rocking the (fast-sinking) San Blas boat though wouldn't it? - and a lot of people clearly don't want that. That all said, some of people running the bars are a delight and very hard-working, just try asking them about the feedback they get from people who have visited these shops.

primrose
20-04-2012, 13:28
What on earth has a Grammar Education got to do with being polite? When I lived on the Golf I went into Harry's at least once a week and never was he anything but friendly and polite.

TOTO 99
20-04-2012, 13:44
I think you both just had a bad day. Right place, wrong time.

You say you've spent a lot of money in there in the past. Why?

Why if you dislike them so much?

cheery
20-04-2012, 13:48
Had the same problem with the shop at Puerto Colon a few years ago. Bought some batteries for my underwater camera and they lasted precisely one swim across the bay and back. I took them back and suffered the most obnoxious tirade from a young Asian lad. It was only a few euros so I couldn't be arsed arguing for more than a minute. If it had been a duff camera or something more expensive I would have either called the police or punched his lights out.

You are indeed right, they do give Tenerife a bad name but they are the same in gran Canaria. A mate of mine had the same problem with a video camera, same type of shopkeeper.

ruggernutter
20-04-2012, 14:11
i have used Harry's and Victor's shops for years and they have always been very friendly and polite and i am happy to call Victor a friend, so you MUST have caught one of the employees on a bad day...

chifleta
20-04-2012, 14:45
me and a few friends of mine have noticed in recent times that lots of staff in a variety of different businesses (be it supermarket, restaurant, bar) are actually miserable, it's the only word I can think of... and i'm talking about all nationalities .... is it because staff aren't trained in the basic art of politeness (smile, good morning, thank you, goodbye!), is it that some of them are stressed out owners who (if they know you personally, and some that don't know you from Adam) end up telling you of all their woes, without realising that their negativity and verbal spillage loses them those same customers that would have stayed loyal if they hadn't had to listen to grumbling every time they visited! are staff just so fed up of bad wages, work hours, 12 hour contracts even though they're working 40 hrs? .... but at the end of the day, IMO, if you are supposed to be serving customers, giving a service, and want the customers to come back, even if you're having a naff day, a smile and a hello won't kill you....
I was working in a shop a couple of years ago, and knew things were pretty dire, but I always smiled and was helpful, and even if someone asked me "how's things" i'd always say things were good, all considering", i'd never say "ughhh la crisis la crisis", even when I was told I would be losing my job, I still kept the smile on my face in front of customers even when I wanted to complain and spit out my woes ..... nowadays when I go out I notice miserable faces more and more .... we all know there is a recession, but with the internet nowadays, we will hear the bad stories more often than the good, so I think people that run any business nowadays should take note how a member of staff or themselves treat their customers.... same goes for us customers, we should treat them how we'd like to be treated....

bonitatime
20-04-2012, 15:18
A lot of staff are not getting paid I have friends who are waiting for 2 and three months money
I know you shouldn't bring this to work but......

Medman
20-04-2012, 16:01
me and a few friends of mine have noticed in recent times that lots of staff in a variety of different businesses (be it supermarket, restaurant, bar) are actually miserable, it's the only word I can think of... and i'm talking about all nationalities .... is it because staff aren't trained in the basic art of politeness (smile, good morning, thank you, goodbye!), is it that some of them are stressed out owners who (if they know you personally, and some that don't know you from Adam) end up telling you of all their woes, without realising that their negativity and verbal spillage loses them those same customers that would have stayed loyal if they hadn't had to listen to grumbling every time they visited! are staff just so fed up of bad wages, work hours, 12 hour contracts even though they're working 40 hrs? .... but at the end of the day, IMO, if you are supposed to be serving customers, giving a service, and want the customers to come back, even if you're having a naff day, a smile and a hello won't kill you....
I was working in a shop a couple of years ago, and knew things were pretty dire, but I always smiled and was helpful, and even if someone asked me "how's things" i'd always say things were good, all considering", i'd never say "ughhh la crisis la crisis", even when I was told I would be losing my job, I still kept the smile on my face in front of customers even when I wanted to complain and spit out my woes ..... nowadays when I go out I notice miserable faces more and more .... we all know there is a recession, but with the internet nowadays, we will hear the bad stories more often than the good, so I think people that run any business nowadays should take note how a member of staff or themselves treat their customers.... same goes for us customers, we should treat them how we'd like to be treated....

I totally agree with you; so many times you almost feel like you are intruding when all you want to do is give them your business. Perhaps if retailers (not all) made a bigger effort to be more personable and helpful, less people will use the internet to shop. At least you don't get abuse on the net.

Roadkingrider
20-04-2012, 16:29
Willing to draw line under my.......er what shall I call it.......retail experience yesterday in San Blas, but as I have no vested interests in these establishments (unlike maybe some people on the Forum), all I can say is that in MY experience, they are doing San Blas, and Tenerife, no favours whatsoever. I think the basic problem with many of these shops and bars is they are STILL stuck in the 70s and 80s and think that Tenerife will continue to welcome hoards of tourists/customers for many years to come and so can treat them how they like "because they're only here for a week, and another lot will be arriving next week." Well, I've got news for them.......if Tenerife doesn't up its game, and become a lot more professional and start treating ALL visitors as valued customers, it will just die a slow death. It's already lost the 20s/30s professional market, most of those I know wouldn't touch Tenerife with a barge pole - sorry, because I think the Canaries are fabulous, but it's true.

timmylish
21-04-2012, 00:29
Not to disagree with the O/p,s general observations in particular with regard to the service, or lack of it, in certain outlets here I have been hearing of the imminent demise of my home Island for 20 years now, or more.

slodgedad
21-04-2012, 01:28
What annoys me about this thread is that the OP refuses to listen to comments and assumes everyone has a vested interest in San Blas.

chifleta
21-04-2012, 13:04
A lot of staff are not getting paid I have friends who are waiting for 2 and three months money
I know you shouldn't bring this to work but......

yeah, even i'd struggle to keep the smile on my mush if that had happened :(