PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair backdating taxes on flights to and from Tenerife

Balcony
20-04-2012, 16:31
I copied this from clip on AOL, though it's been in the papers:

In a row over airport fees, Ryanair is threatening millions of passengers who have already booked and paid for their flights to Spain with an extra fee upon departure to be allowed to board.

The airline sent emails to customers booked to fly from Spanish airports warning them of the backdated fees.

'We may be forced to debit passengers for any government imposed increases in airport charges prior to your travel date', the message says.

'If any such tax, fee or charge is introduced or increased after your reservation has been made you will be obliged to pay it (or any increase) prior to departure.'

Chief executive Michael O'Leary said the warning came after the Spanish government revealed its plans to double the fees at its two main airports in Barcelona and Madrid.

Mr O'Leary said: 'You can of course reject that additional payment, cancel your flight and then not fly with us if you so wish. But we're not going to be funding the Spanish government's taxes.'

British Airways, which flies from London to Madrid, said it would absorb any increase.

princessmonika
06-07-2012, 18:54
My friend who is traveling in August, got a email from Ryanair. That because of the increase of airport charges in Spain,canaries. They will add charge on the ticket
Can they do that, when you have already payed for your flight? Or did he get it wrong. Anybody know anything about this.

penelope pitstop
06-07-2012, 19:01
This was mentioned on a forum this week.

I would like to bet that Ryanair are the first to implement the charge. They have to be the worst airline ever for charging for so called 'extras' & admin fees!

BobMac
06-07-2012, 19:02
My friend who is traveling in August, got a email from Ryanair. That because of the increase of airport charges in Spain,canaries. They will add charge on the ticket
Can they do that, when you have already payed for your flight? Or did he get it wrong. Anybody know anything about this.

Their terms and conditions do actually mean that they can do it. If you refuse to pay you can't fly.

mike in chayofa
06-07-2012, 19:03
Yes, they can. The small print states that changes to taxes and costs beyond their control can ve passed on.

They are giving the option for a refund.

They do not state in the email how much the extra charge is, or whether they are going to apply another charge for using a credit/debit card to pay the extra

sunseeker
06-07-2012, 19:13
this was mentioned on this forum weeks ago. when the charges were first announced.

DeedeeTipperary
06-07-2012, 19:47
Yes I got one yesterday , on the website they give a list of the extra charges depending on where you are flying into . As we are flying into TFS the surcharge is 1.92 euros per person . In my opinion ,as I look out at the lashing rain which has rarely stopped for the last couple of months , I will gladly pay up and wing my way to Tenerife in just over three weeks ! Wooohoooo!!!!:jump2:

alacrity
06-07-2012, 19:54

Front page of this weeks Canarian Weekly explains it all.

candy2411
06-07-2012, 20:00
I don't get this at all!

If the Spanish government are introducing this new tax why shouldn't any airline pass it on to the client if they want.

In the case of Ryanair their profit margin per customer is very low, hence the reason they offer such great low prices, so if in order to make a profit at all they will need to pass this tax on.

It's simple really....if you don't like Ryanair then don't use them.Continue paying higher prices to other airlines , that's your choice!

In fact that's good....it leaves more Ryanair seats to the rest of us who just want to get to our destination at the best possible price:)

BobMac
06-07-2012, 20:00
Yes I got one yesterday , on the website they give a list of the extra charges depending on where you are flying into . As we are flying into TFS the surcharge is 1.92 euros per person . In my opinion ,as I look out at the lashing rain which has rarely stopped for the last couple of months , I will gladly pay up and wing my way to Tenerife in just over three weeks ! Wooohoooo!!!!:jump2:

And that is exactly the point, if you don't want to pay the charge, cancel your flights - it's your choice.

tub
06-07-2012, 20:17
i would never fly with ryanair on principle i know a lot of people say they are cheap but when you have paid for EXTRAS i wonder

BobMac
06-07-2012, 20:46
i would never fly with ryanair on principle i know a lot of people say they are cheap but when you have paid for EXTRAS i wonder

That's an interesting point

There was a table in the Mail on Sunday a couple of weeks ago looking at that and they actually looked at a family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 children, 2 suitcases) and got prices for them flying to the same destination from several airlines; once you added on all the various extras, the cheapest was actually British Air.

penelope pitstop
06-07-2012, 20:51

I have been saying this for years & have stuck to it. We always use Easyjet & have found their prices the cheapest. I always check with all other airlines first before booking, apart from Ryanair as I refuse to travel with them for reasons I have mentioned before on a similar thread.

When we used to fly to Tenerife in the 90's the prices of some return flights cost more than we pay today. They didn't charge for the so called 'extras' like they do now, so prices have gone down even though we now have to pay these 'extras'.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

That's an interesting point

There was a table in the Mail on Sunday a couple of weeks ago looking at that and they actually looked at a family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 children, 2 suitcases) and got prices for them flying to the same destination from several airlines; once you added on all the various extras, the cheapest was actually British Air.

Unfotunately Britsh Airways no longer fly to Tenerife. GB airways took over that route then Easyjet.

BobMac
06-07-2012, 20:56
Unfotunately Britsh Airways no longer fly to Tenerife. GB airways took over that route then Easyjet.

and if you get look at the in-cabin trolleys, some of their planes are still carrying the old GB Air equipment.

candy2411
06-07-2012, 21:50
Just booked a Ryanair flight for September £123, same flight with Monarch was £182 and Easyjet £191

so if Ryanair want to surcharge me a couple of euros to cover Spanish tax then that's ok, I can live with that:)

DJandDeid
06-07-2012, 22:04
Ryanair say they MAY charge if the tax is retrospective. Blame the Spanish government not Ryanair. The Spanish government is charging you, not Ryanair.

tfs1
06-07-2012, 23:02
Clearly the spanish government want ALL the taxes for flights booked before 1 July but not yet taken.

An updated version of the page I posted earlier is below which Ryanair now confirm they will be debiting the taxes from customers cards that they used to make the original booking.

It appears that YOU have to cancel the flight and get a refund if you dont want to pay the extra couple of €'s a person (unless you are going from Barcelona / Madrid!) or the extra taxes will be taken automatically.

All flights booked from 1 July include the new taxes and you dont pay anymore, its just for booking prior to this date for flights that have not yet been taken.

Chris

http://www.ryanair.com/en/notices/gops/120706-sp_apt_tax_en-GB

ps the extra tax is for flights FROM in spain/tenerife etc

princessmonika
07-07-2012, 07:03
Well if it is 1.95 per person. Why is Ryanair so greedy to charge already paid costumers? Yes new ones. Ryanair the gready . B-----rds. And the costumer is totally in there hands.

Yes and from ireland we have very little choice. So Ryanair. And airlingus The only problem is airlingus arrive too late into Dublin. So Ryanair seems to have the monopoly.

Angusjim
07-07-2012, 09:48

Its no really that difficult you look at BOTTOM line of all the price you get from all airlines and that gives you the cheapest price you pay does not really matter what all the EXTRAS are. I know from Scotland that 99% of the time Ryanair are the cheapest option for us and they leave and arrive on time most of the time.

Susief
07-07-2012, 12:27
Just booked my hubby a RA flight at end of August from Manchester. £16.59 plus £6 check in, £6 cc charge, all in still only £29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grimley
07-07-2012, 12:45
we fly from london stansted in oct booked it ages ago if its only 4 euro for 2 people whats all the fuss about

candy2411
07-07-2012, 12:57
so glad I booked flights with RA yesterday £123 return in September, today when I check they've gone up £40!

If they surcharge me an extra 2 euros to cover tax I won't be too unhappy!:)

carpdaught1
07-07-2012, 13:06
the charge is 1 euro 92 cent per passenger i booked 5 flights i recieved email with link to cancel or see the extra charge
you have till 13th july to cancel and ask for refund .

Yes, they can. The small print states that changes to taxes and costs beyond their control can ve passed on.

They are giving the option for a refund.

They do not state in the email how much the extra charge is, or whether they are going to apply another charge for using a credit/debit card to pay the extra

tfs1
07-07-2012, 17:39
When you add 'extras' after making the initial booking you only pay for what you have added ie a bag at £25 and there is no extra credit / debit card fees on top of that cost of £25.

It would be rubbing salt into the wounds if they added extra extra costs regarding card charges, I dont think even Ryanair would stoop that low

Any booking made after 1 July already include the extra Spanish airport departure tax so no extra to pay, unless of course the Spanish government up the taxes again before you fly !!!!!!

I took this as an opportunity to see if I canceled my flights before 13 July and got a refund could I now make another booking for the same fligths flights at a lower price and get some money back. Sadly all the flights are at the same price that I paid for them (even now including the extra taxes) - ah well, it was a thought !

Chris

cgs
07-07-2012, 19:31
I don't get this at all!

If the Spanish government are introducing this new tax why shouldn't any airline pass it on to the client if they want.

In the case of Ryanair their profit margin per customer is very low, hence the reason they offer such great low prices, so if in order to make a profit at all they will need to pass this tax on.

It's simple really....if you don't like Ryanair then don't use them.Continue paying higher prices to other airlines , that's your choice!

In fact that's good....it leaves more Ryanair seats to the rest of us who just want to get to our destination at the best possible price:)

I agree that if you dont like Ryanair just dont fly with them too many people moan about Ryanair but they are always on time I have very rarely been delayed with them and even after they chage you here and there for everything it still works out cheaper than any other airline most of the time. I flew with virgin this year and there seats were so much smaller than ryanairs.
However I do think that if you booked your flight before this tax came into force then people shouldnt be made to pay it as they agreed to a price before they paid. I hope it doesnt affect the price of the flights too much and everone is still happy to come to Tenerife on their holidays, Im sure they will!

If the charge is only 1.92 I hardly think that its worth cancelling your flight for

candy2411
07-07-2012, 22:13
I agree that if you dont like Ryanair just dont fly with them too many people moan about Ryanair but they are always on time I have very rarely been delayed with them and even after they chage you here and there for everything it still works out cheaper than any other airline most of the time. I flew with virgin this year and there seats were so much smaller than ryanairs.
However I do think that if you booked your flight before this tax came into force then people shouldnt be made to pay it as they agreed to a price before they paid. I hope it doesnt affect the price of the flights too much and everone is still happy to come to Tenerife on their holidays, Im sure they will!

If the charge is only 1.92 I hardly think that its worth cancelling your flight for

I would think Ryanair would be happy to refund any flights already paid for as they were probably booked a while ago at a very much cheaper price than if booked today, they 'll just re-sell them at the higher price and in the interim they've had the loan of your money completely interest free :wink2:

tfs1
08-07-2012, 11:30
I have looked at all the flights I booked prior to 1 July and they are the same price as todays prices. As mentioned my thought was to cancel and rebook the same flights if they were at a lower price - they are not so I will pay the extra taxes.

Chris

ps With Easyjet absorbing the cost of the extra spanish airport taxes ie getting new customers to pay for it, I feel as if I must pass on my thanks to those Easyjet customers who have paid for my, my wifes, my children and their families extra taxes on my behalf for the Easyjet flights booked prior to 1 July.

tfs1
23-07-2012, 06:42
I have had 3 lots of the extra spanish airport fees taken from my Cash Passport account today, waiting for remaining to be processed, they may forget, as if !

Chris

ps the debits do not xref the original bookings so you have to take an educated guess as to which debit refers to each booking.

My educated guess indicates the exchange rate they used for conversion was a very poor 1.17 whereas the current rate as we know is around 1.28.

Ecky Thump
14-08-2012, 21:12
We are due to fly out to Tenerife in September and I have had four extra payments taken from my credit card over the last week with no notification from Ryanire, they are :-

1/ £1.40
2/ £3.34
3/ £1.45
4/ £8.93

Has any one else had these charges, or knows what they are for???